Verizon Wireless

Updated February 9, 2015
4.0

Verizon Wireless President & CEO Daniel Mead
Daniel Mead

Pros
  • Pay and benefits were good although commissions began shrinking which is why I eventually left (in 205 reviews)

• They offer great benefits - full health insurance from day 1 - no probation period (in 616 reviews)

Cons
  • Let see: almost NO work-life balance (asking for vacation gets you the evil-eye (in 328 reviews)

• They work you so many hours with no work/life balance at all (in 91 reviews)

More Highlights

7 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

love it here

Current Employee - Csr1 in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Csr1 in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good pay for new hires.

Cons

none come to mind at this time.

Verizon Wireless South Area

Former Employee - Business Account Executive in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Business Account Executive in Nashville, TN

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Brand name, co-workers friendly and the customer relationships were great.

Cons

The region leadership is poor. They do not adhere to their own credo.

It's useless to give advise. Until the leadership changes employees will be unhappy.

Good Company

Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Nashville, TN

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Verizon is a great company to work for. Benefits are great and management is wonderful.

Cons

Pay is low and dealing with upset customers in a regular basis is not the best experience.

The best managers I had their were the ones that didnt micro manage. I had one manager who did and it made my experience horrible. Thankfully I only had him briefly. The managers who took a more hands off approach, I found that I actually wanted to make my numbers higher for them so that they would be proud because I actually liked them as people.

Great at times and shifting in the wrong opposite Direction in some scenarios

Current Employee - Associate Director in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are great. Center level leadership work great together

Cons

Can create a stressful work/life balance if your not careful. There is an opportunity to focus more on the front line leaders

Continue to stay focus on the important things and the company will continue to grow

Great Money and Benefits, but Verizon is changing that!

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, Benefits, some of the people

Cons

You live in a grey world at Verizon. There is no black and white. You find yourself questioning your integrity. Verizon has in recent years been pushing sales people to the point of termination if they don't push products and services people may not need. If you are a great salesperson who blows out your quota, sells tons of accessories and high ARPU devices, and you lack integrity, you will go far at Verizon. If you have a conscience, you will have a hard time. Verizon was a great place to work and make a decent living. That is changing fast. They make commission structure intentionally confusing. Everything from 401(k), health benefits, and general benefits are being scaled back all the time. If you want somewhere to make some fast money, Verizon is the place for you. If you are building a long term, meaningful career, good luck unless you drink their kool aid and push hard for getting people to buy tons of accessories with every phone you sell, get them to buy Mobile Broadband devices and Tablets, and get them on Verizon Edge program. I have seen some of the shadiest sales people who get away with anything, but you have to be a top performer. Woe is you if you are shady and still don't meet quota. Your days will be numbered.

I will forever be grateful for the time spent and money made at Verizon. It catapulted me into the middle class and changed my lifestyle forever. For that, I will always be grateful. I only wished Verizon would not go the way of every other company I am aware of. Prior to working at Verizon, I did not agree with a lot of what unions do. I always thought they did more harm than good. Now I see why unions are important and have a rightful place in society. Some areas of the country are unionized. I live in Tennessee where this is not an option. Companies left to themselves will eventually do exactly what Verizon is. Subtle decreases in pay and benefits that add up to big decreases in your pay overtime.

Also, in the end Verizon could care less if you get fired or leave unless you are a very high selling performer. There are tons of people out of work looking to make $30-80k and Verizon will have no problem replacing you.

I have always said that if I ever worked for a company and they were doing poorly, I would not mind a pay cut to help the company get ahead. With Verizon, this past year was their most profitable in the company's history. How does Verizon thank us? Decrease in commission payouts, scale back on benefits, and tougher expectations and quotas.

Verizon will not change because they don't have to. In an economy that is sluggish, companies can use this to their advantage and they will! You can speak your mind at Verizon, but it will go in one ear and right out the other.

Many store managers and assistant managers are new to management and may have Verizon knowledge, but not leadership skills. Leadership is tricky and it takes hard work. Just because someone is a good salesman/woman, that doesn't mean they will be good managers. Managers should do everything they can to ensure that one of their sales staff does not get on the Performance Improvement Program (PIP). If you ever get "PIPed," you usually don't know until it happens with no warning. To put this in perspective, 3 "PIP's" are your gone.

Good pay, but no time with family

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good pay, benefits, and co-workers.

Cons

no time for family and lots of bureaucracy

Slippery Downhill slide

Former Employee - Business Sales in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Business Sales in Nashville, TN

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Used to be money but they are doing everything they can to not pay sales people

Cons

Constantly pitted against other departments and constant change in pay structures made it impossible to continue growing take home pay. I was there for 8 years, one good news about less pay is it made the decision to leave even easier. People who still think this is a great place to work must have a cake marketing or operations job that no one knows what they do anyways...

Keep your good people happy, back retail out of business sales, or just get rid of B2B altogether. There is to much market share to have multiple departments going after the same pie.