Verizon Wireless Reviews

Reset
3.2
Verizon Wireless Chairman and CEO Lowell McAdam
Lowell McAdam

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits when you are not chastised for using them (in 205 reviews)

• Great benefits from the company for health insurance (in 616 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot if "work life balance" (in 328 reviews)

• Let see: almost NO work-life balance (asking for vacation gets you the evil-eye (in 91 reviews)

1. great place to work

Current Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Orangeburg, NY
    Current Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Orangeburg, NY

I have been working at Verizon Wireless as a contractor

Pros

friendly atmosphere, great people to work with

Cons

30 mins from NYC. Rent in the area may be a bit high

2. INDIRECT-MICROMANAGEMENT

Former Employee - Account Manager - Indirect in Orangeburg, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager - Indirect in Orangeburg, NY

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The potential to be a "Google or an Apple " is there only if they replace the " old school" mentality of their management . They need to grow up and act like adults . More time is spent talking about GPS tracking forms than actual business. Everything is politics and even with an MBA their were many times I reported to people that only went to high school. Education was not valued but if you were able to answer a question about EROES ( their POS system) you were put on the fast track for success. The Discrimination Is substantial and there are many different forms of it. What is shocking is that after you attempt to disclose what is going on they turn it around and try to make it an integrity issue on your part and keep the poison employed to continue to put company at risk for more law suits .

Cons

Performance appraisals are used for retaliation purposes. We used a Balance Scorecard for our Performance Agreement and those results are used for year end appraisals. In order for them to fire people sometimes they change the appraisal to all administrative work and did not include the Balanced Scorecard which many times people actually exceeded. Somehow the original appraisal with the scorecard re-appears after a person is dismissed. After 26 years of good performance appraisals and all of a sudden a few weeks before turning 50 performance is seen as no longer effective.The human resource department is exposing this company to hundreds of thousands in litigation or settlement fees for allowing unnecessary garbage to continue. The human resource team had me meet for three days as I watched them take endless pages of notes . They do absolutely nothing except protect managers from complainers and go to two hour lunches. Every week threats of job loss and discrimination by having the lowest store count to manage,after complaining people were being treated different from store count (some had 8 but most had 20). Some teams had people from ages as follow (28, 28, 33 & 34, 50). Some people were not allowed in office because of low store count. Hopefully there are people spending every day preparing to disclose and reveal the crimes that are allowed within Verizon a Wireless. There are people in Indirect guilty of Age, Religion & Belief and Disability Discrimination saying things such as " do you want to be the smart kid in the Remidial class?"

Advice to Management

My advice will be using a football analogy . Tom Brady was a diamond in the rough. You have many employees that can contribute and make the business so much better is they were just listened to. Management is overpaid and I say that because for the money he makes he spends way too much time on garbage . Instead of talk about GPS forms grow up and ask these same people for their opinion about the business. You are not smart enough to realize people who are treated good will work harder for you? Obviously not. Although gone from the company this is the calm before the storm. Someone needs to take a stand even if the result is being fired it is okay. "The first day of the end of your life is when you remain silent over something that matters" MLK " In the end it's not the words of your enemies that hurts the most, but the silence of your friends " MLK

Great benefits, great mobile plan discounts, boring and pestered often

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Orangeburg, NY
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Orangeburg, NY

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great company, great discount on cell plans, great benefits, great OT pay

Cons

get ready to be scrutinized about the most arbitrary details of a phone call and feel like big brother is constantly watching you and waiting for you to slip up. They monitor all chatter, even off the phones and everyone has an uneasy feeling that they are always being listened to even on breaks. Boring cubicle rat farm and they post your times off the phones to everyone on the floor, i.e. bathroom breaks, hold time, time in between calls ,etc. etc. They track the most obscure metrics and hold you to the most random ones at the most random time as they constantly change their aim and your priorities. All of that can be tolerated the biggest con is that you are responsible for sales that can cancel anytime in 6 months. That may not seem like a long time but in the mobile world and with how many fake customers sign up these can put you in a whole and keep you there constantly trying to make up commissions to fill the hole from customers cancelling on you the 179th or even 180th day or service.

Advice to Management

You cant hold a salesperson responsible for 6 months of a mobile contract with the constant flux of the mobile world right now lots of people are constantly signing up Verizon Wireless and lots more are changing to lower competitor rates. If you are going to hold this person responsible for 6 months of their contract then they should have to the opportunity to save the customer themselves or at least have more contact with them then the first ten minute phone call out of how many calls that were made for them to cancel service.

I was hired by Orangeburg,NY VERIZON.Great area,clean office,but the INTERVIEW WAS ODD

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Orangeburg, NY
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Orangeburg, NY

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview was a odd during october this winter. Not the overall experience.But interesting so i give it pros,not cons.Howevever i was hired,not sure i am staying,read more below. The benefit pkg.is said to be,"from day one full time/medical/dental/401k,so i am curious to see if this is true,as i read on net from others and facebook it is.only giving though three stars,for reason i state below,still waiting few months as i was told it begin day one. IF this is false i will file a complaint against them,for misleading me during phone interview that was monitored on my side,and i think their call was monitor too as i would ask 1 or 2 queries,and was"a delay"in response.

Cons

I have learn with verizon in orangeburg the starting pay is one-pay of only 24,000 per yr? However,she adds during interview,"we also add onn the 18G's for commission etc." bringing it to a little bit over$40k if quota's are met,however imo that seem still well low(without a guaranteed commission.) I got the feeling after the overall interview,the company is hiring all over the place,premise on"being too hard on those who might NOT have alot of expertise in this hard work field.It shouldn't be that way,they will keep missing out on good workers,reliable "willing to learn workers"if they treat people this way during interview.I am not overall satisfied and the interviewer,seem more "like she was a telemarketing representative"reading from a script. i don't see how she can then work in HR. (been with verizon she claim a long time)But sounding this way i do not see how. i will keep going in other interviews,because this is not a place i think i will be happy with,no place even VERIZON should be so strict as the lady on the phone sound,and in my opinion,might be the reason they have trouble getting people up there to work for them. Lighten up a little.Your only Verizon.

Advice to Management

chill on trying to be more than you are when interviewing good people like me,and others,or who your hiring.NO one want to be NOR will be treated like a slave.Those days are over. Just because your in HR,do not mean your better than me,or anyone. Interviewer,sound like she was reading from a script. A "REAL"supervisor/mgr. and or tele-sales B2B supervisor or residential,should NEVER sound that way. NOT sure i am staying,the hours also are fine but come on.To say your going to no matter what WORK ON HOLIDAYS Is NUTS,LOCA. i will keep looking for better job,"verizon name is not everything you guys." But the career opportunities are there,for the"right fit"with experience i think and just not for me i don't think,not for long

6. Great experience

Former Intern - Student in Orangeburg, NY
    Former Intern - Student in Orangeburg, NY

I worked at Verizon Wireless as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot about working in a big company as a software engineer. A lot of really helpful people to learn from. You leave with a lot of technical perspective as well as business perspective in regards to what it takes to run a large company. Upper management is usually accessible.

Cons

Can't think of any cons.

7. Excellent company to work for

Current Intern - Software Engineer in Orangeburg, NY
    Current Intern - Software Engineer in Orangeburg, NY

I have been working at Verizon Wireless as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good job place. Good Benefits. Paid MS education and training. Good overall company to work for

Cons

Not much for now.

Advice to Management

Better base salary

8. this place will give you PTSD

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orangeburg, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orangeburg, NY

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

401k and health benefits nothing else is good

Cons

quota always goes up so pay goes down but a higher work load. so you work harder to make less money yeah not cool. always trying to fire you its like they Don't want seasoned employees work weekends and nights no work life balance forced over time now ever since they closed centers att everyday is filled with so much stress

Advice to Management

they all suck get your heads out of your butts verizonwireless

9. Not for everyone

Current Employee - TELESALES Representative in Orangeburg, NY
    Current Employee - TELESALES Representative in Orangeburg, NY

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits, seriously, like the best in the country. Room for growth....if you do well.

Cons

You are a number, they dont care about family issues or anything else. Very numbers centric company, if you don't hit quota no one can save you. Commission structure has changed 3 times in 10 months....always for the worse.

10. I was dissatisfied for quite some time and was in the top 5 of the sales reps for the first 2 years.

Former Employee - Telesales in Orangeburg, NY
    Former Employee - Telesales in Orangeburg, NY

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They offer great benefits. For other departments, the bonuses and employee satisfaction are much higher.

Cons

Since I started, they wound up cutting the commission in half and capping. The sales team is the most micro managed I've ever seen. Some managers are unprofessional. Very hard to move out of sales. Keep in mind this is ONLY the sales atmosphere I am speaking of.

Advice to Management

The director should listen to the reps more to improve the morale.

11. Been here for 7yrs... well... The more I grow with the company the more on the fence I become

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Orangeburg, NY
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Orangeburg, NY

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely provides decent work life balance (pending on your positon at least). In most IT positions you'll find it pretty reasonable (remote work, flexible days pending on work load).

Cons

Something about the salaries do leave something to be desired. I suppose if you start in an area with a higher cost of living you'll maximize your earning potential. Then if you transfer to an area with a lower cost of living you'd be pretty set. But forbid you start in a lower cost of living market (like Midwest) then transfer to somewhere like NYC. You need to make sure you negotiate the a cost of living adjustment or fair market salary. Or you'll be playing catch up for the rest of your career.

Advice to Management

n/a

Showing 14 of 4,523 reviews