Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless Reviews in Philadelphia, PA

Updated May 11, 2014

Verizon Wireless President & CEO Daniel Mead

Daniel Mead

Pros
  • Pay and benefits were good although commissions began shrinking which is why I eventually left(in 178 reviews)

• They offer great benefits - full health insurance from day 1 - no probation period(in 528 reviews)

Cons
  • Let see: almost NO work-life balance (asking for vacation gets you the evil-eye(in 254 reviews)

• They work you so many hours with no work/life balance at all(in 72 reviews)

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Pay but can be stressful

Retail Sales Representative (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Prosplenty of room for afvancement

Consretail hours suck and there are tons of metrics to hit

Advice to Senior Managementdon't harass your reps

If you don't mind not having a life outside of working then this is the place for you.

Business Account Executive (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsDecent salary, benefits are good

ConsSales expectations are excessively high and managment can either make or break your work experience. Though you have Vacation time allowance, it is impossible to take that time off if you want to even come close to your monthly sales expectation

Advice to Senior ManagementDo the job before trying to be a manager. Be realistic about the goals set for each territory. You can only leverage an increase in price of services if the network actually works. You sit in the ivory tower yet have no clue what it's like to be in the trenches. Whoever sets the goals has absolutley no idea what the true opportunity or lack of opportunity is in the territory.

Account Executive

Business Account Executive (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe benefits are solid and there is opportunity to move up in the company. Moving across different channels is also an option.

ConsThe compensation plan has been cut several times over the last couple of years. Tenured employees are making much less money then they have in the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep compensation plans competitive to retain talent.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked with Verizon Wireless for 16 years. Very good company.

Trainer (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGrowth, benefits, tuition assistance, culture.

ConsI have nothing for cons

Built network

MTSO Manager Network Operations (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsExcellent locations, people and solid understanding of wireless marketing, principles and technology second to none. They have made corrections to identify some critical challenges and made changes.

Consmaybe some older hired employees abused power, and abused substances and the law. Unknown by upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstanding change is good , Being different is good, embrace new ideas, family is important, making things work and meeting due dates.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

The most TOXIC company I ever worked for!

Retail Sales Representative (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsBenefits
    Benefits (trying to fill the 20 word minimum)

ConsHigh sales quotas and sales metrics
    Inept and verbally abusive managers are protected by upper management as long as their sales numbers are met.
    Retail work schedule; close store one night - open store next day; work on holidays
    Lousy work/life balance

I have never worked for a company as toxic as this one. Since the cell phone market is saturated, Verizon now focuses on accessory sales. I had to pummel customers with unwanted accessories trying to meet sales metric requirements. If customers refused then they were offered a bill credit which essentially made the accessories free. Screwed up way to meet sales numbers. The management is a lot to be desired. They rule by fear and intimidation and constantly threaten your job. I had one store manager berate her staff in front of customers. Atmosphere at this store was so heavy that it was felt by customers as they walked in. There was no joy in this job - I hated every minute of it but stayed on to take advantage of their education assistance program and earned my degree. I left shortly thereafter.
    This company hooks you in with a good salary and great benefits but your work/life balance suffers as a result. The stress of trying to maintain ever changing monthly sales quotas and sales metrics along with KPI's will burn you out quickly. I highly recommend looking for a position outside of the retail sector - it is not worth your health or your sanity.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify and get rid of the bullies that pose as managers

Started good but no weekends off and commission structure is getting worse.

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsBeing able to work around the latest technology.

ConsManagers more strict and quotas get higher and higher.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a better way to motivate.

Retail Sales Rep

Retail Sales Representative (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe company has Great Benefits

ConsTo much Excessive Micro managing by Sr. Management.

Advice to Senior ManagementHourly reports are to excessive

From great to good to just another employer

Account Manager (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsExcellent 401k match. Excellent tuition assistance. Good benefits for health and dental, time off etc. Work environment can be ok.

ConsMost of what I have read in other reviews are very true company wide. Quota is set intentionally high to regulate labor costs rather than reward positive results.

Operations is disorganized to the point that you cant get a straight answer to most issues; often you get the wrong answer, it takes too long or sent in a circle of people saying "someone else" handles that. Decisions made in cubicles rarely make sense in the field.

Rubbing elbows with the "right people" is more important than your contribution to the business.

HR doesn't resolve issues, they just make them "go away".

Advice to Senior ManagementHappy salespeople are good salespeople. Sales compensation and perks have decreased severely over time.

Operations is a mess; time for serious untangling and simplification.

Our culture has been bastardized. Corporations should be a meritocracy to maximize results, not cronyism.

Verizon Wireless will overtake your life!!!!

Retail Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsPay, Benefits, 50% off of your phone bill, company phone.

ConsIts retail meaning that you will have to work every single weekend to obtain your sales goals. During the holidays it is mandatory for all employees to work six day work weeks. The company claims they are all about having a good work life balance, yet it is almost impossible to get off weekends and schedule vacations. Most of your shift will be dealing with incompetent customers who do not know how to work their phones and other tech issues. The managers micro manage their employees and employees get chastized if they sell a phone without any accessories and insurance. I worked in a kiosk which requries you to be on your feet all day and at times you are there all by yourself which can be extremely stressful. There where many days that I would work and not be able to take a break because we were understaffed. If you can deal with being miserable and hating your life and working EVERY weekend to meet the high sales goals then go for it. Otherwise, avoid at all costs!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people and stop micro managing.

Worked for Verizon Wireless? Contribute to the Community!