Verizon Wireless

2,935 Reviews

Verizon Wireless President & CEO Daniel Mead
Daniel Mead
1,412 Ratings

Pros
  • They offer great benefits - full health insurance from day 1 - no probation period (in 577 reviews)

• Pay and benefits were good although commissions began shrinking which is why I eventually left (in 161 reviews)

Cons
  • Let see: almost NO work-life balance (asking for vacation gets you the evil-eye (in 291 reviews)

• They work you so many hours with no work/life balance at all (in 79 reviews)

More Highlights

I learned a lot in my 10 years with Verizon Wireless.

Former Employee - Technical Support Coordinator II  in  Cranberry Twp, PA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Coordinator II in Cranberry Twp, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working for Verizon Wireless was great for the first 5 years. The company really took care of their employees for benefits. The job can be incredibly stressful but you are payed well for what you do. We received bonus payouts each year based on performance as well. This was great because they paid them around same time as tax returns and this meant you could get yourself something nice each year as a kind of reward for your hard work. Overall the company afforded me a house and a bike and furnishings for inside. I would take the position again in an instant. I would however attempt to get off the phones much earlier on in my career.

Cons

The customers control how you do your job. You are put on warning based on how you are surveyed. The customers receive a survey after calling in and if your not having a good month of surveys it can cause you issues down the road. I can say I never had any problems with the surveys personally but I saw a few of my friends become sick over the system. Due to the stress of the job about 50% of my fellow employees were all on some form of medication and or going to a doctor for FMLA leave due to the stress. I worked with the company for 10 years and it has taken a toll on my body as well. Sitting all day everyday is a good way to put on weight. Your performance is based on how many calls per day you take and your adherence to your signed in and out times along with the surveys. Customers that are usually happy do not call in as much. Mostly irate or irrational customers call in.

The direct management at my center was great. I feel that the higher ups needed to realize that allowing the customers to rate everything you do can put too much pressure on your job. I would like to see the higher ups get surveyed each day 15 times a day and see how comfortable they feel in their position. I am sure they would be sick going to sleep and waking up each night. Basically there is a large disconnect like in all major businesses with the workers and the higher ups.

Good company with bad management

Current Employee - Assistant Retail Store Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Retail Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Salary and benefits.

Cons

Retail hours are terrible. 7 A.M. Friday meetings are a joke and not productive at all. No one takes them seriously and goof around during calls to include the managers. Employees are very, very unhappy at their jobs. There is no employee retention or loyalty. There's no employee advancement either. They could care less if you go or stay. DM's are very into themselves and not so much into their employees unless of course you are really good looking. Sad to see that they hold themselves higher than God. Small talk with employees are fake and not personable. All they care is numbers and how they can chew some butt if you don't meet them. If you do well, they acknowledge you because it benefits THEM, but if you are average they give you no attention. No accountability for anyone. Company wide they have different standards for different people. Advancement defiantly comes with good looks and youth. Instead of rewarding managers for the work the sales people do on the floor, reward the employees instead. They do all the dirty work for you.

Pay attention to your senior employees and provide them with advancement tools. They become stale because you don't give them the attention and acknowledgment they deserve. Get rid of the Friday meetings. They make no difference for anyone. Stop punishing employees but start rewarding them. Stop taking away benefits. I remember the old Verizon. It was good.

Solutions specialist

Current Employee - Solutions Specialist  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company has Great benefits and great pay. Awsome medical insurance and 4o1k 100% match. Verizon is a very good company to work for.

Cons

Having to shove accessories down customers throats. Long retail hours. Not a lot if "work life balance"

I'm not sure if responding this email it will get to right person. I will try to explain my concern and beliefs on this Matter. I am a retail sales associate. Mine as well as my Co ' workers accessorie per device sold should be around $90. It is part of are score card. Score card also they way they look at are performance. If you are avg. In all categories but fall below on accessorie take rate. You could very well be a under performance and risk loosing your job. My coworkers will "walk" a customer that is not purchasing accessories! I will often take the customer that they are walking because I believe 110% it is my job to take care of them and make sure there experience I great. This will affect my score card but when I was hired 5 yrs. Ago I was taught we were integrity based and customer focused. Are credo and score card definitely are counter deceive and some sales reps believe that is what they must do. It unfortunate. I refuse to walk a customer. I put myself self in the customers shoes. $90 is a inflated expectation. Customers have many options as far as the basic case charger and screen protectors. (Ebay amazon ext) I think arev should be a metric I understand it generates a big part of our revenue. But we are walking customers over it. There has to be another way! Growth is king a quote from a district manager. But we must maintain the customers we have to be profitable. To me walking a customer is stealing from the company as well as stealing from the customers experience.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer Service

Current Employee - Customer Service Pro  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Customer Service Pro in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits! Flexible time off options. Getting to work with some truly dedicated people on a day to day basis.

Cons

Lets be frank. The Verizon Credo and what actually happens are two different animals. It is always Bottom line first, Customers second and employees get whatever is left.

Follow your Credo. You cannot tell me that we "don't require a paper trail" to believe our customers but every day I hear the opposite. You cannot tell me that we "act with urgency" when we will suspend a customer for nonpayment for being 30 days past due but if we need to cut them a check it takes six weeks?
    Integrity may be at the core of who I am, but I'm more alone than I should be.

AWESOME Career

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved working for this company they treated their employees the best and training was awesome to make sure all their employees were trained and knowledgeable. You get a free phone that the company pays for, and can switch every three months. The commission set up is awesome and there is great potential to make A LOT OF MONEY!!!!!!! I only left due to moving states and couldnt secure a open position in my town

Cons

Sales can be hard to meet but the reward is worth it.

Great company with excellent work/life balance

I have been working at Verizon Wireless for more than 10 years

Pros

High energy environment, respect for employees, great benefits and competitive salaries

Cons

Slow to market with new products. Not great at identifying quality talent for promotions into management. Too many firedrills from management.

Work harder to identify smarter ways to conduct the business, streamline processes and stop at nothing to ensure your customers are satisfied.

Great company,

I have been working at Verizon Wireless

Pros

Great pay, has amazing benefits and areas many opportunities to advance.

Cons

Upper management has favorites, they make you feel disposable.

Excellent benefits, good employee morale

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative/Call Center CS Representative  in  Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative/Call Center CS Representative in Greenville, SC

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

401k match, excellent pay in sales (retail) and call center (customer svc), employee activities, tuition reimbursement, employee discounts, recognition. I worked in the store, then the call center. More opportunity for career advancement in the call center, but I left due to stress from taking call.

Cons

Hours can be challenging for those with families. Call center work can be stressful. I did not have an anxiety issue when I started, but I did when I left.

More clear career opportunities. Promotions should based on merit, education, not who you know.

Large corporate commission driven retailer sums it up.

Current Employee - Solutions Specialist
    Current Employee - Solutions Specialist

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great earning potential especially considering the qualifications necessary. Great benefits.

Cons

Standard stresses of high pressure sales. Standard stresses that come with retail. Management make less than top solutions specialists typically. Career advancement isn't as appealing as it should be for this reason.

Work your teams strengths. Be aware of moral. Be the role model.

College Hire Experience

Current Employee - IT Analyst/Project Management  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst/Project Management in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Gain experience working in a fast-paced corporate environment.
    -Good compensation & benefits
    -Diverse, friendly, and supportive culture
    -Good work-life balance [in some areas]

Cons

-Organizational structure can be inconsistent across teams/groups/departments
    -Process for vertical/lateral movement should be facilitated more by leadership and clearly defined.
    -Leadership doesn't have the time to dedicate to grooming new team members/employees [improving in some areas]
    -Professionalism isn't always enforced in meetings

Worked for Verizon Wireless? Contribute to the Community!