Verizon Wireless

2,996 Reviews

Verizon Wireless President & CEO Daniel Mead
Daniel Mead
1,445 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay and benefits were good although commissions began shrinking which is why I eventually left (in 196 reviews)

• They offer great benefits - full health insurance from day 1 - no probation period (in 590 reviews)

Cons
  • Let see: almost NO work-life balance (asking for vacation gets you the evil-eye (in 298 reviews)

• They work you so many hours with no work/life balance at all (in 80 reviews)

More Highlights

I learned a lot in my 10 years with Verizon Wireless.

Former Employee - Technical Support Coordinator II in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Coordinator II in Cranberry Twp, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working for Verizon Wireless was great for the first 5 years. The company really took care of their employees for benefits. The job can be incredibly stressful but you are payed well for what you do. We received bonus payouts each year based on performance as well. This was great because they paid them around same time as tax returns and this meant you could get yourself something nice each year as a kind of reward for your hard work. Overall the company afforded me a house and a bike and furnishings for inside. I would take the position again in an instant. I would however attempt to get off the phones much earlier on in my career.

Cons

The customers control how you do your job. You are put on warning based on how you are surveyed. The customers receive a survey after calling in and if your not having a good month of surveys it can cause you issues down the road. I can say I never had any problems with the surveys personally but I saw a few of my friends become sick over the system. Due to the stress of the job about 50% of my fellow employees were all on some form of medication and or going to a doctor for FMLA leave due to the stress. I worked with the company for 10 years and it has taken a toll on my body as well. Sitting all day everyday is a good way to put on weight. Your performance is based on how many calls per day you take and your adherence to your signed in and out times along with the surveys. Customers that are usually happy do not call in as much. Mostly irate or irrational customers call in.

The direct management at my center was great. I feel that the higher ups needed to realize that allowing the customers to rate everything you do can put too much pressure on your job. I would like to see the higher ups get surveyed each day 15 times a day and see how comfortable they feel in their position. I am sure they would be sick going to sleep and waking up each night. Basically there is a large disconnect like in all major businesses with the workers and the higher ups.

Customer Service

Current Employee - Customer Service Pro in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Customer Service Pro in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits! Flexible time off options. Getting to work with some truly dedicated people on a day to day basis.

Cons

Lets be frank. The Verizon Credo and what actually happens are two different animals. It is always Bottom line first, Customers second and employees get whatever is left.

Follow your Credo. You cannot tell me that we "don't require a paper trail" to believe our customers but every day I hear the opposite. You cannot tell me that we "act with urgency" when we will suspend a customer for nonpayment for being 30 days past due but if we need to cut them a check it takes six weeks?
    Integrity may be at the core of who I am, but I'm more alone than I should be.

Great company,

I have been working at Verizon Wireless

Pros

Great pay, has amazing benefits and areas many opportunities to advance.

Cons

Upper management has favorites, they make you feel disposable.

Large corporate commission driven retailer sums it up.

Current Employee - Solutions Specialist
    Current Employee - Solutions Specialist

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great earning potential especially considering the qualifications necessary. Great benefits.

Cons

Standard stresses of high pressure sales. Standard stresses that come with retail. Management make less than top solutions specialists typically. Career advancement isn't as appealing as it should be for this reason.

Work your teams strengths. Be aware of moral. Be the role model.

Great place to work and be!

I worked at Verizon Wireless

Pros

It is an awesome place to work and be!

Cons

There are no cons to its awesomeness!

Keep being AWESOME!

Good company depending on where you work

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay and commission, friendly competition amongst sales people, health benefits from day one

Cons

Company doesn't give employees much of a voice, despite a credo that states otherwise, life/work balance sucks as to be expected in a retail job

If you claim to care about your employees, let them be heard better. If they aren't performing to expectations or violated some policy, let them know: don't just cut them using the "at will employment" excuse. Loyalty goes both ways.

Great place to work.

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time

Pros

Salaries, Benefits, Bonuses, Environment and People.

Cons

Travel to work is more than an hour.

Verizon is a great company to work for especially right out of college.

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent benefits and opportunity to move up in the company. Director walks through and always ask how your doing and wants to know how he can help with anything. You earn your shift by tenure and ability to meet company goals.

Cons

No cons it's a good job.

Best Products, Excellent Pay and Benefits...WAY too much Bureaucracy!

Current Employee - Business Sales in Temple Terrace, FL
    Current Employee - Business Sales in Temple Terrace, FL

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I can't think of a single company in any line of business that can say they are as superior to their competition as Verizon is to the other cell carriers- trust me, I've worked for almost all of them! Better network doesn't even begin to describe it! As a salesperson, I don't lose business based on the competition. The only deals we seem to lose are based on companies not having the time or money to switch. They all want to. The pay is better than any of the other carriers I've worked for. The benefits are better, too. All in all, it's a darn near perfect place to work, except......

Cons

Bureaucracy and red tape are how we do things at Verizon. If that doesn't bother you, then do everything you can to get a job here. It drives me absolutely bat-shtuff crazy!! The constant politics is ridiculous, too. 10 years ago, under the first CEO (Denny Striegl) we were a real entrepreneurial company. But now...we're the epitome of "big company" culture. If that doesn't bother you either...then do everything you can to get a job here!!

They wouldn't listen if I had any real advice, so I'll just say keep up the GREAT work!! And keep paying us like you are!!

Great company and benefits; Must be flexible!

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome benefits: vacation, personal, sick, 401k, tuition reimbursement, room to grow/get promoted. Constant coaching, which some people dislike, but it shows they're trying to help you and it's not so much a "sink or swim" culture.

Cons

Initiatives/Focuses are ALWAYS changing; You can easily feel a bit micro-managed. Also, not everyone is cut out for a sales position, but unfortunately this is a necessary stepping stone to get promoted into a higher role

Be logical with your initiatives. If you push and push for a certain metric for 2 months, and then the next it completely changes and you don't care about the old metric, reps start to feel like you're pushing metrics just to push metrics, not because you actually believe in them, or because they're actually important