Verizon Wireless

2,881 Reviews

Verizon Wireless President & CEO Daniel Mead
Daniel Mead
1,390 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay and benefits were good although commissions began shrinking which is why I eventually left (in 180 reviews)

• They offer great benefits - full health insurance from day 1 - no probation period (in 536 reviews)

Cons
  • Let see: almost NO work-life balance (asking for vacation gets you the evil-eye (in 261 reviews)

• They work you so many hours with no work/life balance at all (in 72 reviews)

More Highlights

I learned a lot in my 10 years with Verizon Wireless.

Former Employee - Technical Support Coordinator II  in  Cranberry Twp, PA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Coordinator II in Cranberry Twp, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working for Verizon Wireless was great for the first 5 years. The company really took care of their employees for benefits. The job can be incredibly stressful but you are payed well for what you do. We received bonus payouts each year based on performance as well. This was great because they paid them around same time as tax returns and this meant you could get yourself something nice each year as a kind of reward for your hard work. Overall the company afforded me a house and a bike and furnishings for inside. I would take the position again in an instant. I would however attempt to get off the phones much earlier on in my career.

Cons

The customers control how you do your job. You are put on warning based on how you are surveyed. The customers receive a survey after calling in and if your not having a good month of surveys it can cause you issues down the road. I can say I never had any problems with the surveys personally but I saw a few of my friends become sick over the system. Due to the stress of the job about 50% of my fellow employees were all on some form of medication and or going to a doctor for FMLA leave due to the stress. I worked with the company for 10 years and it has taken a toll on my body as well. Sitting all day everyday is a good way to put on weight. Your performance is based on how many calls per day you take and your adherence to your signed in and out times along with the surveys. Customers that are usually happy do not call in as much. Mostly irate or irrational customers call in.

The direct management at my center was great. I feel that the higher ups needed to realize that allowing the customers to rate everything you do can put too much pressure on your job. I would like to see the higher ups get surveyed each day 15 times a day and see how comfortable they feel in their position. I am sure they would be sick going to sleep and waking up each night. Basically there is a large disconnect like in all major businesses with the workers and the higher ups.

Good company with bad management

Current Employee - Assistant Retail Store Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Retail Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Salary and benefits.

Cons

Retail hours are terrible. 7 A.M. Friday meetings are a joke and not productive at all. No one takes them seriously and goof around during calls to include the managers. Employees are very, very unhappy at their jobs. There is no employee retention or loyalty. There's no employee advancement either. They could care less if you go or stay. DM's are very into themselves and not so much into their employees unless of course you are really good looking. Sad to see that they hold themselves higher than God. Small talk with employees are fake and not personable. All they care is numbers and how they can chew some butt if you don't meet them. If you do well, they acknowledge you because it benefits THEM, but if you are average they give you no attention. No accountability for anyone. Company wide they have different standards for different people. Advancement defiantly comes with good looks and youth. Instead of rewarding managers for the work the sales people do on the floor, reward the employees instead. They do all the dirty work for you.

Pay attention to your senior employees and provide them with advancement tools. They become stale because you don't give them the attention and acknowledgment they deserve. Get rid of the Friday meetings. They make no difference for anyone. Stop punishing employees but start rewarding them. Stop taking away benefits. I remember the old Verizon. It was good.

AWESOME Career

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved working for this company they treated their employees the best and training was awesome to make sure all their employees were trained and knowledgeable. You get a free phone that the company pays for, and can switch every three months. The commission set up is awesome and there is great potential to make A LOT OF MONEY!!!!!!! I only left due to moving states and couldnt secure a open position in my town

Cons

Sales can be hard to meet but the reward is worth it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company but STRESS STRESS STRESS STRESS

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, much room for fast advancement , great leadership and support. A lot of time off options. Verizon Is great for entry level , great coworkers too!

Cons

STRESS. If you are NOT used to a call center , if you DONT LIKE people, this job is most definitely NOT for you. I stressed myself sick here literally. This job isn't for me lol. Surveys mean everything. If u get an upset customer ( and you will), and they give u a bad survey it kills your performance metrics. Also you can't hang up on stupid customers. You can't hang up when they get REALLY offensive.

Get rid of the pa , allow us to be able to hang up on customers.

Excellent benefits, good employee morale

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative/Call Center CS Representative  in  Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative/Call Center CS Representative in Greenville, SC

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

401k match, excellent pay in sales (retail) and call center (customer svc), employee activities, tuition reimbursement, employee discounts, recognition. I worked in the store, then the call center. More opportunity for career advancement in the call center, but I left due to stress from taking call.

Cons

Hours can be challenging for those with families. Call center work can be stressful. I did not have an anxiety issue when I started, but I did when I left.

More clear career opportunities. Promotions should based on merit, education, not who you know.

Solutions specialist

Current Employee - Solutions Specialist  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company has Great benefits and great pay. Awsome medical insurance and 4o1k 100% match. Verizon is a very good company to work for.

Cons

Having to shove accessories down customers throats. Long retail hours. Not a lot if "work life balance"

I'm not sure if responding this email it will get to right person. I will try to explain my concern and beliefs on this Matter. I am a retail sales associate. Mine as well as my Co ' workers accessorie per device sold should be around $90. It is part of are score card. Score card also they way they look at are performance. If you are avg. In all categories but fall below on accessorie take rate. You could very well be a under performance and risk loosing your job. My coworkers will "walk" a customer that is not purchasing accessories! I will often take the customer that they are walking because I believe 110% it is my job to take care of them and make sure there experience I great. This will affect my score card but when I was hired 5 yrs. Ago I was taught we were integrity based and customer focused. Are credo and score card definitely are counter deceive and some sales reps believe that is what they must do. It unfortunate. I refuse to walk a customer. I put myself self in the customers shoes. $90 is a inflated expectation. Customers have many options as far as the basic case charger and screen protectors. (Ebay amazon ext) I think arev should be a metric I understand it generates a big part of our revenue. But we are walking customers over it. There has to be another way! Growth is king a quote from a district manager. But we must maintain the customers we have to be profitable. To me walking a customer is stealing from the company as well as stealing from the customers experience.

Good long-term company

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time

Pros

From my experience if you apply yourself in this company you will see good rewards. As with all things, depending on what actions and directions are taken, one can achieve their long or short term goals in any type of advancement. The company promotes education and assists employees in moving forward with their educational goals.

Cons

As with all companies, there are a few rotten apples those I'd like to call moving targets, which are hard to hit because they are always making a mess and moving around. Seeing 'moving targets' get positions that another might have worked hard for before them is quite annoying.

Good company to work for.

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great pay, benefits, 401k matching, bonuses and tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Leadership is very inconsistent. Advancement depends on who you know or who you tend to "hang" with.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great pay and benefits for the right person

Cons

Must be competitive and want to work hard. ( if you consider this a con). Retail hours 7 days per wk

Love this company and it's opportunities

Excellent Company

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time

Pros

Verizon Wireless places an emphasis on employees and aids in creating the work-life balance needed for many individuals!

Cons

No professional cons working with the company during my tenure

Verizon Wireless Photos

Worked for Verizon Wireless? Contribute to the Community!