Verizon Wireless

2,901 Reviews

Verizon Wireless President & CEO Daniel Mead
Daniel Mead
1,398 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay and benefits were good although commissions began shrinking which is why I eventually left (in 180 reviews)

• They offer great benefits - full health insurance from day 1 - no probation period (in 536 reviews)

Cons
  • Let see: almost NO work-life balance (asking for vacation gets you the evil-eye (in 261 reviews)

• They work you so many hours with no work/life balance at all (in 72 reviews)

More Highlights

rewarding

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

big company with many opportunities

Cons

big company with many layers of management

It was a great and fun place to work and make good money.

Former Employee - Solution Specialist  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Solution Specialist in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You learn so much about technology, meet a lot of interesting people, and the company its self is awesome! They give you so many rewards for doing a good job. The company shows their appreciation for your hard work.

Cons

The only challenging part of the job for me, was the hours. it was hard to balance a family with the fluctuation.

I have nothing, overall it was the best company I've worked for. I was very proud to work for Verizon Wireless.

Fast paced, rapid change, challenging

Current Employee - Switch Engineering  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Switch Engineering in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working with highly intelligent people in a challenging, fast paced environment. Always striving to improve. Strong team culture. Ability to move around within the company, gaining exposure and experience. Good compensation and solid benefits, including tuition reimbursement and 401k matching.

Cons

Brutally long hours. Many teams are expected to support 7x24x365 operations. It's a common practice to not take vacation days. The rapid pace of change can be overwhelming and there is a constant steep learning curve. If you want to advance your career, you have to be willing to relocate.

East coast (HQ) teams have no problem setting meetings for early morning Eastern time (as early as 5am PST) but are consistently unavailable after 5pm Eastern time (2pm PST). We keep getting told we're a national company and just need to "suck it up" on those 5am calls, especially after working through most of the night (maintenance window) but it appears to only work one way.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for less than a year

Pros

Well most importantly, the pay is pretty competitive. I have a base pay of $13.49 an hour. Which is more than almost any call center is going to pay you right off the bat. They also give out big bonuses, kick backs for selling certain things,and competitions to win money and awesome Verizon accessories. You also get fairly frequent raises. You earn 45% more for working the late shifts. You also get 1\2 off your bill, which is amazing!They always recognize and reward your achievements and little victories. The atmosphere is amazing, all of your supervisors, assistant directors and the director all want to see you succeed, and do everything they can to help you get there. Everyone has each others back, offers help and is genuinely invested in you. They have an outstanding training program. The best I have come across by far. 9 weeks of classroom style training just so you can learn the computer systems and what they expect of you. Then an additional 7 weeks of transitional training where you are on the phones but guided by trainers. Its very thorough and really prepares you. They offer amazing health benefits. I am a single smoker and I pay about $23 a week and I have no deductible, It's great. They give you ample breaks as well. 2 15 minute breaks and an hour lunch. Best of all in my opinion is the time off packages. As soon as you're done with training you get a week of paid sick time, a week of paid personal time, and 2 weeks of paid vacation. WHAT!?! They also have a really great family culture there, they have a foundation funded by the employees that give money to Verizon employees in need, like if you're house was to burn down, or a hurricane destroyed it, you can get money to help put you up in a hotel and help cover the cost of putting your life back together. There is also A LOT of room for advancement. They encourage you to move around inside the company, and even pay up to $8,000 a year for you to go to college if you decide to.Overall, This is an amazing company to work for, they take care of their employees, and people actually enjoy coming to work.

Cons

There are less cons than pros, but there are a few. One is how you get your shifts. They have a shift bid every 6 months. So you select your desired shifts, and if you're lucky or have been there forever, maybe you'll get it, maybe you won't. So for your first year or 2, you can count of getting later shifts and having your shifts change rather drastically every 6 months. Also, the hiring process is brutal.super long application, about 30 emails back and forth, 1 assessment, 3 phone interviews, 2 in person interviews, the most ridiculous and time consuming background report in the world (if your applying, be prepared to supply the last 5 years of tax information) a drug test, and conference calls. So it's not the easiest job to get into by any means. Also, you're on the phone all day, and if someone is calling into customer service, its usually because they have a major problem which requires calling and sitting on hold. So by the time they get to you, they're usually not exactly happy. So it can get pretty high stress at times.

Management is great!

Customer Service

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The pay is good as well as the yearly bonus!!!! Also benefits and 401k was awesome! Very work life balance!

Cons

Just technical support these phones are very tricky!

Keep doing what your doing

Great Company to work for in a fast pace enviroment.

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture
    Great Pay
    Great training's
    Great Benefits

Cons

Shift schedules
    schedule changes frequently
    Long hours for leadership
    thats
    it

Shift changes should be once a year not every 6 months

Loved it

Current Employee - Health and Wellness Intern  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Health and Wellness Intern in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- great supervisor, good pay for an internship, good for students who have a required internship in order to graduate

Cons

-not much to do, learned a little

Great Company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay, 401K, PTO, and career growth. 8,000 towards tuition and certification

Cons

schedule are based on seniority and not performance.

Retail Sales Rep

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, great opportunity for advancement if you're willing to relocate, working with technology, tuition reimbursement, decent commission structure (although I feel we are very underpaid for what we do and how much money we make them.)

Cons

Retail hours. You are scheduled 10-7 but end up working 10-9. The life of a Retail employee.

Be more proactive about advancing your current employees and stop changing the commission structure every 5 minutes.

Excellent company to start your career with!

Current Employee - Solutions Specialist  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time for more than a year

Pros

HIGHLY competitive salary, benefits that are just as great - lots of vacation and personal time offered and the 401(k) matching is generous to say the least. Lots of great people in the company.

Cons

Can be very stressful, sometimes thankless, hours are erratic and commissions can fluctuate wildly from month to month.

Relax the intense focus on redundant metrics and start having a human make the schedules.

Worked for Verizon Wireless? Contribute to the Community!