Verizon Wireless Reviews

1. Satisfied

Current Employee - Technical Support Coordinator in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Support Coordinator in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have great benefits and pay.

Cons

high stress level and dealing with customer complaints

2. Nice atmosphere but management is terrible.

Current Employee - Customer Advocate in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Advocate in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice place to work, co-workers are generally great.

Cons

Most management has never worked as an entry level associate for the company.

Walk a mile in your employees shoes.

3. Customer service

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Verizon Wireless

Pros

Verizon has great benefits, and a lot of room for advancement.

Cons

Metrics based company they for the most part care about numbers. Performance based company where it use to be tenure

Management can get burnt out especially in customer service

Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great instructors, supervisors and support staff with a correct emphasis on customer needs. Great atmosphere to work in. Many levels in which to advance and grow.

Cons

I really don't have any cons to speak of. The reason I left was that call center work is not where my strengths are. The position was not the right fit. Verizon is a great place to work and they take care of their employees.

6. Customer advocate

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay. Easy to climb the ladder lots of benefits great health insurance.

Cons

Stress of having to be on the phone all day almost non stop. Call center jobs are always tedious about time away from your desk but it's crazy how many calls there are without any breaks in between calls.

Get more offline time. More snacks and more fun

7. Great place to work!

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Well most importantly, the pay is pretty competitive. I have a base pay of $13.49 an hour. Which is more than almost any call center is going to pay you right off the bat. They also give out big bonuses, kick backs for selling certain things,and competitions to win money and awesome Verizon accessories. You also get fairly frequent raises. You earn 45% more for working the late shifts. You also get 1\2 off your bill, which is amazing!They always recognize and reward your achievements and little victories. The atmosphere is amazing, all of your supervisors, assistant directors and the director all want to see you succeed, and do everything they can to help you get there. Everyone has each others back, offers help and is genuinely invested in you. They have an outstanding training program. The best I have come across by far. 9 weeks of classroom style training just so you can learn the computer systems and what they expect of you. Then an additional 7 weeks of transitional training where you are on the phones but guided by trainers. Its very thorough and really prepares you. They offer amazing health benefits. I am a single smoker and I pay about $23 a week and I have no deductible, It's great. They give you ample breaks as well. 2 15 minute breaks and an hour lunch. Best of all in my opinion is the time off packages. As soon as you're done with training you get a week of paid sick time, a week of paid personal time, and 2 weeks of paid vacation. WHAT!?! They also have a really great family culture there, they have a foundation funded by the employees that give money to Verizon employees in need, like if you're house was to burn down, or a hurricane destroyed it, you can get money to help put you up in a hotel and help cover the cost of putting your life back together. There is also A LOT of room for advancement. They encourage you to move around inside the company, and even pay up to $8,000 a year for you to go to college if you decide to.Overall, This is an amazing company to work for, they take care of their employees, and people actually enjoy coming to work.

Cons

There are less cons than pros, but there are a few. One is how you get your shifts. They have a shift bid every 6 months. So you select your desired shifts, and if you're lucky or have been there forever, maybe you'll get it, maybe you won't. So for your first year or 2, you can count of getting later shifts and having your shifts change rather drastically every 6 months. Also, the hiring process is brutal.super long application, about 30 emails back and forth, 1 assessment, 3 phone interviews, 2 in person interviews, the most ridiculous and time consuming background report in the world (if your applying, be prepared to supply the last 5 years of tax information) a drug test, and conference calls. So it's not the easiest job to get into by any means. Also, you're on the phone all day, and if someone is calling into customer service, its usually because they have a major problem which requires calling and sitting on hold. So by the time they get to you, they're usually not exactly happy. So it can get pretty high stress at times.

Management is great!

8. Worst job ever

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rochester, NY

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent and extensive paid training - that's really the only positive. You get paid (albeit, not much) to sit in a classroom for 7 weeks. If you get hired by them I would use that time to make money while you look for another job. Being a CSR for them will suck the life out of you. Oh, you do get a great employee discount on VZW phone plan

Cons

Pay sucks, schedules suck, as a CSR you are FORCED to sell things, customers are rude, never a break between calls, horrible morale

Don't push numbers so much...be more supportive and provide more coaching rather than criticism

9. Not Bad for a Day's Work

Former Employee - Supervisor Tech Support in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Supervisor Tech Support in Rochester, NY

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay was great, the training was impeccable & I met lifelong friends while at Verizon Wireless. My first few years there were great.

Cons

The last 2 years that I worked there were the worse. Upper management and HR at the Rochester call center seemed to lack emotional intelligence as well as integrity. They seemed to care solely about the goals but not about the people (whether it be the supervisors or the representatives). They ran good leaders that cared out of the center. They seemed to only want lackeys and sycophants that would do their bidding. I would never work there again but I absolutely appreciate all that I learned about the business about leading others & about myself. My concerns are specifically with the Rochester, NY call center. I think that it's quite possible that other centers have a better culture and better leadership.

Connect with your people and be genuine. Drive emotional intelligence as a cultural belief.

10. The good, the bad, the ugly

Former Employee - Technical Support Coordinator in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Support Coordinator in Rochester, NY

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay
    Great benefits (tuition assistance, profit sharing, 401k match, excellent health insurance)
    Lots of engagement (depending on who's in leadership positions)
    Opportunities for advancement

Cons

Bureaucratic
    Disloyal
    Hypocritical (part of their credo states that they fight bureaucracy...couldn't be further from the truth)

Keep the profit sharing going. Focus on keeping your employees happy (because they're in the process if unionizing just to stick it to you). Get rid of your Acting Supervisor program (seriously, what's your success ratio in that anyway).

All in all, my experience there was a pretty good one. I made it through school and took care of my family while working for them. They definitely have some kinks to work out, but it's a solid place to work until you move on to greener pastures.

Not terrible, I have worked for far worse companies.

Current Employee - Tech Support in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Tech Support in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Employer discounts, job security ( you have to physically try to get fired from this place )

Cons

Fragmented understanding of policies ( each center modifies the company policy instead of all following the same procedures and each supervisor/ associate director has their own interperetation of these policies) , Unless you have worked there for 10+ years you have no work/life balance.

When I started working here I LOVED coming in to work every day, But the past few years the overall morale of the company has been in a downward spiral. Unless there is a big change in how we handle policies and track employees statistics it will just continue to get worse.