Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless Reviews in Warren, NJ

Updated Apr 19, 2014

Verizon Wireless President & CEO Daniel Mead

Daniel Mead

Pros
  • Pay and benefits were good although commissions began shrinking which is why I eventually left(in 178 reviews)

• They offer great benefits - full health insurance from day 1 - no probation period(in 528 reviews)

Cons
  • Let see: almost NO work-life balance (asking for vacation gets you the evil-eye(in 254 reviews)

• They work you so many hours with no work/life balance at all(in 72 reviews)

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company, poor work/life balance

Senior Systems Engineer IV (Current Employee) Warren, NJ

ProsI've been working at VZW for over a year as IT staff member. Technology I work with is great, I love being able to telecommute, pay is great and so are benefits (medical, dental vision, 401K), if you do good they give you great bonus incentive also.
    Also there's a lot of room for advancing, and if you excel you advance quiet fast.

ConsNo work/life balance!!! I have to give up weekend after weekend with no end in site. My work days are minimum 12 hours, sometimes as much as 16 hours. On slow days it's usually. Management does not seem interesting in solving work/life balance problem anytime soon. Also things are disorganized, and never assumed others will do their job. You have to be careful to always watch your behind in such chaotic environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something about work/life balance now. We do great, and next time you want us to do greater. You're never happy.

Very Good learning opportunities. Good to start your career

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) Warren, NJ

ProsVery good learning opportunities. Will get to work on latest technologies. Friendly people. Very good mentoring for new graduates.

ConsStressful deadlines. Not good pay.

Working with a diverse team

QA Engineer (Former Employee) Warren, NJ

ProsVerizon is an ideal place to work for especially in the corporate building where technology is managed and maintain with one core vision that every one follows and that is to help change the way mobile communication is used yet enhanced for our every day lives.

ConsVerizon is competitive but their competition is not to be overwhelmed by the user preferences.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Management Team that I have come to experience were very aggressive in meeting deadlines. Management don't seem to understand that certain works takes longer time to finish. My advice would be to approach every work with an open mind and consider that even the pros need help when trying to pursue a common goal.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stressful DBA job, but you learn alot

Senior Database Administrator (Current Employee) Warren, NJ

ProsThe technology and systems are challenging. Many database database environments have RAC and Sharepoint. This is a blessing and a burden.

Consmuch overnight work, frequent crises, demanding work environment. Shareplex probably increases the problems and alerts by threefold. The applications I supported are very demanding and required off-hours for most of the changes, which were frequent. I'm talking about 11 PM or 2 AM start times and it often was 6-8 hours of work. They require alot of Oracle patching and 8 Enterprise releases per year for many applications and that's something that runs on weekends for about 12-18 hours. Most people have had enough after 1-2 years.

Advice to Senior Managementhire more DBAs to spread out the off-hours work and support.

Software Engineer Intern for Point of Sales

Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) Warren, NJ

ProsGreat learning experience, team members were very open to answering questions and giving advice

Conslong working hours, technical issues with servers

Excellent, I'm very satisfied with all the opportunities and benefits the company provides.

Smts (Current Employee) Warren, NJ

ProsOpportunities, lots of benefits and great compensation packages. Ability to work with top of the line technology and services.

ConsAs with any large company, it is difficult to get all different teams to align sometimes.

Great company

Senior QA Engineer (Current Employee) Warren, NJ

ProsProfessional, reliable, creative and very intelligent people. Friendly and proactive environment. High energy and a lot of inspiration.

ConsI have nothing to say for cons.

Difficult, stressful and rude IT environment esp. Oracle DBA

Senior Oracle Database Administrator (Former Employee) Warren, NJ

ProsThey have Latest Technology. Onsite seminars/training/demo sessions.

ConsWork environment is filled with rude and mean employees and managers. Whole IT work culture is stressful. Especially Database Administration Group. Don't share knowledge. Make you work like slave. Give no respect to contractors.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage knowledge sharing. Respect everyone.

Sales Operations Internship

Sales Operations Intern (Former Employee) Warren, NJ

ProsIt was a good exposure to the corporate world as a college student. The internship was treated like a true entry level job, so I was able to learn about the processes of starting a new job and how the corporate structure works.

ConsThe program was less developed than was described. A lot of times there was not enough work for the interns to do and we would end up sitting on our computers wasting time to log our hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure there is enough for interns to do if you are going to hire them.

Java Developer

Java Developer (Former Employee) Warren, NJ

ProsThere are always job openings.

ConsThe most unprofessional management,no work ethics and work/life balance.

Worked for Verizon Wireless? Contribute to the Community!