Verizon Wireless

3,140 Reviews

Verizon Wireless President & CEO Daniel Mead
Daniel Mead
1,523 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay and benefits were good although commissions began shrinking which is why I eventually left (in 196 reviews)

• They offer great benefits - full health insurance from day 1 - no probation period (in 600 reviews)

Cons
  • Let see: almost NO work-life balance (asking for vacation gets you the evil-eye (in 311 reviews)

• They work you so many hours with no work/life balance at all (in 87 reviews)

More Highlights

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Business Support Coordinator

Former Employee - Business Support Coordinator in Warrendale, PA
    Former Employee - Business Support Coordinator in Warrendale, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and great pay, flex time

Cons

training, location, performance rating system

none

Better than average pay but you'll work for it.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Warrendale, PA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Warrendale, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay was above average in area for job. Good culture, coworkers were a great group. Hard work can pay off with higher bonuses for leading coordinators. The company helped employees get better - VERY few were ever fired for their performance. Good training. Good 401k match and profit sharing. While there were improvements that I would like to see, I always felt the company had my back so long as I did the work they requested.

Cons

Benefits have been getting worse (newer employees have less vacation days, health insurance has become more expensive). Limited opportunity to promote upward. Many get pulled into customer service right out of college with promises that they could move into their field, but every job I've seen in business, marketing, IT, etc. requires 3-5 years experience to apply, so they get stuck in customer service. Work/life balance is clearly lacking due to the excessive number of FMLA claims. The center was closed in 2014 along with many others, so be sure to keep your resume/education updated if you work elsewhere - there is no guarantee it will last very long.

Improve work/life balance. Taking vacation days away from new employees was a bad idea. Get better at hiring people to work from home or remotely from other centers. You are a technology company, so it is unfortunate that you're behind the curve on this. If you hire people out of college with promises that they can promote within the company, consider their time in their current role within the company as experience, even if it is not in the field they are applying to, so long as they have a degree in the field.

Great company to work for, wish I was still apart of it

Former Employee - Inside Business Sales in Warrendale, PA
    Former Employee - Inside Business Sales in Warrendale, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay was good, time off, recognition, contests, world class training. I felt lucky to be an industry when every user was passionate about their phone, service, etc. No one was indifferent, they loved it or they hated it at times, but everyone that is a phone user is passionate about it. Never a dull moment but always prepared for change.

Cons

Goals sometimes seemed unrealistic and I was laid off. I was devastated.

Listen to the "front facing" employees as well as the ones that use your systems on a daily basis.

Has been slowely going downhill.

Former Employee - Business Sales Representative in Warrendale, PA
    Former Employee - Business Sales Representative in Warrendale, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits, there are oppurtunities to move within the company and the training you receive is top notch.

Cons

The company has seems to have forgotten about their employees and customers and is focussing too much on KPI's. They make it hard tobleave because even if you're miserable, you are unlikely to find similar pay elsewhere.

Listen to your employees, remember the front line employees and the customers are the ones who truly grow the business...

Great experience highly stressful environment high paced, excelled in sales and customer service

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits the company gives would be the best reason to work for Verizon Wirless.

Cons

Many departments within the company have different promotions which can offset customers buying intentions.

VZW

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative and B2B Sales Representative in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company, benefits and people to work with and for.

Cons

Golden handcuffs. When the quote are fair and reasonable you can do very well. When they are not. this is when things go wrong.

Good Experience

Current Employee - Coordinator BGCO in Warrendale, PA
    Current Employee - Coordinator BGCO in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits. On site fitness center. 401I match. Bonus and great raises every year. Professional development. Discounts on service. Lots of vacation time.

Cons

Stressful. They make it difficult to be graded as Leading each year. Hard to manage everything they ask you to do.

Give employees the time and resources to perform job instead of just micro manage.

Very Competitive, excellent benefits

Current Employee - Telesales in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a fantastic company to work for. Training and corporate culture is top rate. Co - workers are great and managers are also very helpful and friendly. Excellent health benefits and company march in profit sharing.

Cons

Always changing corporate focus and aggressive quota is extremely stressful. An abundance of fraudulent calls, and terrible new line prospects. Most notably customers that live in less ideal areas such as Detroit, Michigan setting up 5 lines of service which they won't pay their bill. With better prepaid options post paid service is on the decline. Even with payment installments on full price no contract options. Verizon can't compete with prepaid pricing*, the industry is on a decline. They have to rely on joint ventures with cable companies and other industries to stay viable.

Instead of firing excellent employees in telesales let them transfer out to different departments within the company.

CEOs are their Priority, Not the Employee

Current Employee - Telesales in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, education, benefits and 401k. Hours were very open for making money and onsite gym available.

Cons

You could really use the gym or anything else for that matter because you HAD to do the hours to meet unrealistic quotas. One day new rule next day forgotten. So many leaders to cover so little subordinates.

Quit the layoffs and quit giving bonuses to the 1%.

You have to accept it's never good enough and never a work / life balance

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Warrendale, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are awesome, you basically live there and they are your support. The beneftits are great and school incentive.

Cons

But you can't really use the school incentive because you have to work more hours to meet unrealistic quotas or get written up/fired. Too many chiefs do you need for your Indians.. Be ready to put on 20 pounds due to stress eating and drinking.

I wanted this to be my career but as I meet more people who left, I see healthier people again. You lose a lot of intelligent folks Verizon. Cool it with the quota, more people keep leaving and you spend more on new hires, how is that cost effective?