Vermont Teddy Bear

Add Photos

John F. Gilbert

Good place to work

Developer (Former Employee) Shelburne, VT

ProsGreat benefits, work life balance, awesome people

ConsThe coding is not cutting edge technology

Great culture and great peopl

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Shelburne, VT

ProsEveryone really gets along; everyone wants to see success in their coworkers; great and competitive benefits (vacation time) etc. Flexible work environment.

ConsNot challenged enough; no real room for movement or growth

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training would be great

Think twice before considering.

Various Positions (Current Employee) Shelburne, VT

ProsSome of the benefits are nice, such as discounts, contribution to a CSA share, health club membership. And many of the folks there are very nice.

ConsOh, where to begin. Some members of the Leadership Team have been at this company far too long and make decisions without fully understanding the consequences of how they will impact the rest of the company or if they will even be able to be executed given the inefficient and antiquated systems that are currently being used. There is an incredible lack of processes in place creating an atmosphere of constant chaos. I have worked in several departments and can only sum up my various positions as constantly putting out fires with little time to do the jobs I am actually supposed to be doing. The company atmosphere is that of crisis management and I often hear coworkers crying, complaining and constantly saying they have to get out of there. I know many employees who have skills and abilities far beyond what they are able to use in their current positions yet they are denied the ability to advance within the company. And then they just leave. Depending on the department, the 30 minute lunch break is impossible to take and most people sit in their cubicles through lunch and are there well beyond 5 at night. In my many years there, I rarely was able to take lunch as there were too many crises to tend to and much pressure to work faster and get on to the next emergency. The "peak" times leading up to Christmas and Valentines Day (and Mother's Day somewhat) are even crazier with the expectation to put family/home life on the back burner--for example, we are told to do all of our Christmas shopping in October because there's minimal time off as the holiday approaches months away. People have often said what a fun place Vermont Teddy Bear must be to work at and all I can say is perhaps fun from the outside but not so much on the inside.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No chance of being hired past seasonal

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEasy way to make extra money during the holidays
    Not really too much else. That's the only pro I can think of.

ConsIf you are a smoker, you have 10 minutes to walk to the farthest part of the property. You can get fired for smoking in your own car!
    There is no room to move from seasonal to full or part time.
    Long commute from Burlington.

A frustrating place to be.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Shelburne, VT

ProsDecent product discounts in the store.

ConsThe environment can best be described as a culture of chaos. The people making decisions are completely isolated from daily operations so you're constantly turning on a dime and operating in panic mode. The company's success is tied to three holidays per year: Christmas, Valentines Day, and Mother's Day. To be fair, this is a tough niche VTB has built for themselves and it does require fiscal prudence to survive. However, there's a difference between fiscal restraint and penny wise and pound foolish. Much effort is given to building out the marketing and product development side of the business, and many people with very impressive resumes are brought on board to help drive new business, but they don't stay. If you're going to grow a business you need to invest in the infrastructure as well, and there was a steadfast refusal to expend much effort here. Huge micromanagement by upper management in certain departments, deep seated resistance to new ideas and fresh thinking.

Very good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Shelburne, VT

ProsGreat work culture and a great team atmosphere. The company does a great job of promoting from within and offers strong advancement potential. A lot of employees tend to stay with the company for a long time. Pretty good benefits.

ConsThe pay is pretty low and should be more competitive. Salary increases are usually very low and pay rates are often capped at pretty low amounts.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salaries for new hires to attract a high level of talent.

Vermont Teddy Bear - A Sinking Ship

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsIt is a fun place to work in the summer time since the company is not very busy. There is Bocce and BBQ's and the people who work here are generally good people who share common lifestyles and interests.

ConsIn the busy season (October-May) we are required to work longer hours even though there is no financial compensation for working extra time. It was implied that "turning the walls" (working in other departments such as the warehouse) would increase overall profits which would in turn end up in our year end bonuses. However, year end bonuses have been canceled so now we are required to work extra hours with no hope of financial compensation. For example, I worked 4, 17 hour days during Valentine's Day Peak, but was not compensated in any way.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs trust their employees, allow them or their managers to make decisions and end the system of micromanagement that has been in place here for so many years. We have lost a lot of good employees over the past few years, most of which have not been replaced. The fact that people are leaving should speak for itself. There is no promise of advancement and the pay scales aren't very good. A 2-5% wage increase is barely enough to cover cost of living increases which leaves employees in the same position they were in a year before their review. Increase wages, instill confidence and command respect or continue to lose qualified, hardworking employees.

Love my job at VTB!

ProsThe people are nice to each other here. I like feeling part of a company that brings happiness to the many visitors to the factory during the summer. BBQs, Bake-offs and Bocce Ball. I love it. The benefits package is standard but they do go the extra mile providing gym membership, free passes to a lot of stuff, good discounts for other Vermont companies and occasional give-aways. I think the politics is pretty minimal too.

ConsWe have been hit by the recession and the slow-down in retail because of it. So people had to be laid off and so good people are gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for making announcements about changes happening here.

Worked for Vermont Teddy Bear? Contribute to the Community!