Verndale

Updated November 16, 2014
Updated November 16, 2014
3.9

Joe Zarrett

Great experience; hard work, but you learn a lot

I worked at Verndale full-time

Pros

I worked with extremely smart, fun people - this made the day-to-day enjoyable. The projects (at least the ones I was staffed to) were very interesting/challenging. As a result, I learned a lot very quickly. Management is very receptive to new ideas or changes to existing processes, as long as they are presented in a thoughtful way.

Cons

Lack of any sort of formal training programs, you are thrown right into the fire here. For some people this works, but for others it can be tough to get up to speed quick enough.

Keeping moving towards a team-based staffing model. Teams that are used to working together will be more efficient, more cohesive, and more accountable; all of which result in a higher likelihood of project success.

Fast-paced Environment, Structured for Growth, Committed Leadership

I have been working at Verndale full-time

Pros

Fast-paced Environment: As many reviewers have mentioned, rapid growth presents challenges and many struggle with frequent updates to process and the mechanisms in how the company delivers. Like one person said, it's not for everyone, and that's very true about Verndale. If you're someone who can adapt to change, view challenges as opportunities to problem-solve, and have a drive to deliver outstanding work, you're going to be recognized and move up quickly, as most people have.

Structured for Growth: There is dedicated subject matter expertise per resource group so there are not people wearing multiple hats. Robust program and account management teams provide a substantial support system for the delivery teams.

Committed Leadership: All four founding partners are actively involved in the day-to-day and they place a high level of autonomy in managers, which allows for an innovative and collaborative culture.

Others: pet friendly, lots of open space / collaboration areas, Friday lunches, beer and wine always in stock, monthly company sponsored outings, intensive new hire on-boarding process, hip people, humor is valued, music in the bathrooms, bike storage, showers, flextime and work from home policy.

Cons

Rapid growth, change management and the frequent requirement to multitask can be felt as cons to working at Verndale. At the end of the day, most colleagues value the exciting atmosphere and know not only how to work hard, but play hard too.

- Continue to listen to ideas from all employees (former and current) and evolve where necessary.

Growing company with good people leading the charge

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Verndale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at Verndale provides you with tremendous opportunities for growth if you stand out from the pack; hard work is recognized, appreciated, and rewarded. You will be working in a challenging, fast-paced environment surrounded by a group of very talented, smart, and driven co-workers. The work is interesting and the company is taking on a higher caliber of clients and some cool brands.

Verndale works hard to make sure that employees feel appreciated and upper management has crafted a fun, rewarding culture as a result. Lots of perks from Friday lunch, beer in the kitchen, monthly outings, and recognition for a job well done. Verndale maintains a 9-5 culture that most employees abide by; just know that those 8 hours are spent hard at work. Work hard, play hard mentality.

Cons

Growing pains that are to be expected with a company that is scaling to meet higher demand for higher quality work from a higher caliber of clients. Outlook still looks good. People tend to be cliquey, but this is not specific to Verndale but more specific to the age range here.

Continue to be transparent, continue to evolve the way you do business both with clients and how things are run internally to shift to the changing needs of the market and the talent here at Verndale.

Smart people and management that's not afraid of change.

Current Employee - Operations in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Operations in Boston, MA

I have been working at Verndale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best things about Verndale are the people, the quality work, and the opportunities! I was surprised to see other reviews complaining about benefits. They are really good. 3 + weeks vacation to start, 401K match, Verndale pays health insurance deductible in full, gym reimbursement, new bonus plan, monthly company outings, beer on tap, free lunch on Fridays, FSA, commuter discount and other perks. The employees make the company though. Verndale is made up of really smart, go-getters who are into their work. Management gives lots of room for growth, training and promotion. Management is also not afraid of change. If there is a better way to do something - they are all for it.

Cons

Biggest challenge is the very fast pace of the work. It is non stop. If you are not good at deadlines and multitasking this is not the place for you. This is no place for the "steady Eddie" kind of person. If you are not good at speaking up , you could get lost in the shuffle.

Keep up with improving transparency. Could also communicate with entire company more.

Room to grow at Verndale - great place to advance your career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Verndale full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Verndale is in high-growth mode which is exciting but it's still small enough that your career path is not determined when you walk in the door, which I consider to be a good thing. Managers are very open to having candid conversations about what you like / don't like about your job and how you can make it better by advancing in a direction you are interested in.

As Verndale grows they continue to implement perks to keep people happy. For example they recently decided if anyone is working after 6pm dinner is on Verndale!

I appreciate how they want to find ways to improve the working experience.

Cons

More formal training opportunities would be great - maybe something that will be implemented soon.

20-year-old VPs don't know what they're doing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Verndale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is made up of mostly young people in their early 20s and do have a lot of fun outside of work together. There are lots of parties, team activities like kick-ball, lots of free alcohol, and free lunches on Fridays. Work hard (when the bosses are watching), play harder. They allow dogs in the office, could be a pro for some--but watch out for the poop on the carpet!

Cons

The con of a youthful environment means they are also gossipy, cliquey, unprofessional (inappropriate language was common) and they are horribly inexperienced, especially the project management and production departments. The engineers are more mature, but they are so projectized there is a company-wide problem with lack of accountability. So many layers to hide behind and finger-pointing between departments! If you are a good engineer, expect to spend the majority of your time cleaning up other people's mistakes. Code quality is very, very poor, partially due to offshore, but also because leadership team is very ineffective so it's easy to skate by for months or years. About 20% of the company is a VP, but you can't be older than 30-years-old if you want to be a VP. Big fish, small pond. Lots of turnover. Not an Agile environment, but they don't realize or want to admit that.

Hire some experienced leaders and listen to your employees. Do background checks before you hire people. Follow through on your promise to give bonuses. Get direct deposit. It's 2014 already.

Positive and satisfying place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Verndale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance, ability to advance, continuously growing company with an exciting future. Free lunch and "Beer O'Clock" on Friday's is a plus.

Cons

Growing pains associated with rapid growth.

Be proud of your accomplishments, share them with the entire Company and continue to learn from any mistakes!

Fast paced and always changing

I have been working at Verndale

Pros

Worked with some of the smartest people I have ever met

Cons

Company is still young and figuring out their direction which can make the day to day challenging

I worked at Verndale for 4 years, growing from an entry level position to a VP/Lead of a department, with mixed feelings

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Verndale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with (excluding upper management/founders) are amazing. There is a strong work-hard-play-hard mentality among the coworkers, and it really does feel like a family.

Food and drinks are a great perk, but that doesn't tip the scale here in lieu of other opportunities (food = variety every friday, drinks = soda/seltzer/coffee/teas everyday, beer is always present but encouraged to be drank on fridays during beer o' clock).

New office is beautiful, and from what I hear only getting more beautiful.

Depending on the situation, remote work is definitely possible as many past and current employees work from around the world.

Summer/holiday outings/parties are pretty awesome and very memorable.

The front-desk guy (aka, beer orderer, food acquirer, newegg master) is possibly the nicest person in the world.

Finally, the first 3 years here were amazing to me - the amount I learned and grew, and the opportunities that were set before me were incredible.

Cons

In my honest opinion, I found that Sales often oversells a solution to a client and then Development (front- and back-end) suffer due to time restrictions/budget restrictions.

Resource management is something they've struggled with for years, and depending on who you are your schedule will always be a disaster.

Location of new office is less desirable.

Ultra fast-paced environment is definitely not for everyone, as I've seen many amazing people struggle and collapse under the pressure.

Mediocre/could-use-improvements benefits regarding health and 401k.

"Transparency" isn't very User Friendly - data is made transparent but presented in a not-so-easily digestible way, which ultimately leads most employees to not be aware of the state of the company.

Half of the founders have little-to-no exposure to the company, and are often "seen" as the voice behind the curtain.

High turnover (this may be a result of situations rather than a con in and of itself).

Medium-to-low employee recognition.

In-house legal council wasn't able to offer productive counseling while I was going through a divorce.

Finally, the last year while employed here saw some disagreements between where I wanted my career path to head and where management wanted my path to head, and unfortunately this eventually resulted in my departure.

Micromanagement is not something a business growing at Verndale's velocity can sustain, and while it may have worked for a 30-40 person company years ago (albeit not something I'd recommend them having done), it will not work for 90+ people today.

Listen to the new talent more than you do now, since they will approach all the problems differently than your existing talent. I'm not saying they are right, but I've noticed a tendency that Verndale sticks with "what works" because that's what they've always done vs. feeling out new approaches to problems or areas of opportunities.

Invest more in employee retention through extended benefits, the ability to grow an employee's own skill/career path within company time, and more visible recognition. The level of effort and cost to the company to give employees micro-rewards will not "reward them for doing their job" nor will it drain any budget allocated to retention.

There are probably worst places to work, but it's definitely not for everyone

I have been working at Verndale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of young people around, most people in the company I'd say are in their 20s. No matter what position you are in, you will get exposed to all aspects of website building and creation. And you will quickly be thrown into the mix and expected to learn on the job (this isn't a "pro" for everyone). It's not a place to come in and learn for 6 months before you do any real work. Free friday lunches, Friday happy hours, free soda, and the most elaborate coffee machine you will ever see are all nice perks too and it seems like most employees are appreciative. Pay is decent and the hours seem to be fairly normal for agency work.

Cons

Turnover is HIGH. People are always coming and going. Several people have been let go since I started. Another handful have left for other opportunities. It seems like the company gives you a few months to "prove" yourself and if you aren't holding up your end or it's not a good fit, they will cut ties without much warning.

The way resources are managed is terrible. Not entirely the project managers' fault.

There is a very clear distinction between the executives and everyone else in the company. Sometimes it feels like management has their own little fraternity inside the company and, aside from a monthly company meeting, 95% of the employees are left out with little communication or exposure to insight.

The company recently went through a rebranding to make it seem like the work the company does is more sexy and glamorous than it really is. It's a web shop, don't get fooled by the fancy language and descriptions on the website.

It's hard to keep continuity within the organization with so many people always leaving. There's something to be said for keeping and maintaing your employees.