Verndale
www.verndale.com Boston, MA 50 to 149 Employees

Verndale Reviews

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Joe Zarrett

Positive and satisfying place to work.

Boston, MA

ProsWork/life balance, ability to advance, continuously growing company with an exciting future. Free lunch and "Beer O'Clock" on Friday's is a plus.

ConsGrowing pains associated with rapid growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe proud of your accomplishments, share them with the entire Company and continue to learn from any mistakes!

20-year-old VPs don't know what they're doing

(Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThe company is made up of mostly young people in their early 20s and do have a lot of fun outside of work together. There are lots of parties, team activities like kick-ball, lots of free alcohol, and free lunches on Fridays. Work hard (when the bosses are watching), play harder. They allow dogs in the office, could be a pro for some--but watch out for the poop on the carpet!

ConsThe con of a youthful environment means they are also gossipy, cliquey, unprofessional (inappropriate language was common) and they are horribly inexperienced, especially the project management and production departments. The engineers are more mature, but they are so projectized there is a company-wide problem with lack of accountability. So many layers to hide behind and finger-pointing between departments! If you are a good engineer, expect to spend the majority of your time cleaning up other people's mistakes. Code quality is very, very poor, partially due to offshore, but also because leadership team is very ineffective so it's easy to skate by for months or years. About 20% of the company is a VP, but you can't be older than 30-years-old if you want to be a VP. Big fish, small pond. Lots of turnover. Not an Agile environment, but they don't realize or want to admit that.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some experienced leaders and listen to your employees. Do background checks before you hire people. Follow through on your promise to give bonuses. Get direct deposit. It's 2014 already.

Fast paced and always changing

ProsWorked with some of the smartest people I have ever met

ConsCompany is still young and figuring out their direction which can make the day to day challenging

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked at Verndale for 4 years, growing from an entry level position to a VP/Lead of a department, with mixed feelings

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThe people you work with (excluding upper management/founders) are amazing. There is a strong work-hard-play-hard mentality among the coworkers, and it really does feel like a family.

Food and drinks are a great perk, but that doesn't tip the scale here in lieu of other opportunities (food = variety every friday, drinks = soda/seltzer/coffee/teas everyday, beer is always present but encouraged to be drank on fridays during beer o' clock).

New office is beautiful, and from what I hear only getting more beautiful.

Depending on the situation, remote work is definitely possible as many past and current employees work from around the world.

Summer/holiday outings/parties are pretty awesome and very memorable.

The front-desk guy (aka, beer orderer, food acquirer, newegg master) is possibly the nicest person in the world.

Finally, the first 3 years here were amazing to me - the amount I learned and grew, and the opportunities that were set before me were incredible.

ConsIn my honest opinion, I found that Sales often oversells a solution to a client and then Development (front- and back-end) suffer due to time restrictions/budget restrictions.

Resource management is something they've struggled with for years, and depending on who you are your schedule will always be a disaster.

Location of new office is less desirable.

Ultra fast-paced environment is definitely not for everyone, as I've seen many amazing people struggle and collapse under the pressure.

Mediocre/could-use-improvements benefits regarding health and 401k.

"Transparency" isn't very User Friendly - data is made transparent but presented in a not-so-easily digestible way, which ultimately leads most employees to not be aware of the state of the company.

Half of the founders have little-to-no exposure to the company, and are often "seen" as the voice behind the curtain.

High turnover (this may be a result of situations rather than a con in and of itself).

Medium-to-low employee recognition.

In-house legal council wasn't able to offer productive counseling while I was going through a divorce.

Finally, the last year while employed here saw some disagreements between where I wanted my career path to head and where management wanted my path to head, and unfortunately this eventually resulted in my departure.

Advice to Senior ManagementMicromanagement is not something a business growing at Verndale's velocity can sustain, and while it may have worked for a 30-40 person company years ago (albeit not something I'd recommend them having done), it will not work for 90+ people today.

Listen to the new talent more than you do now, since they will approach all the problems differently than your existing talent. I'm not saying they are right, but I've noticed a tendency that Verndale sticks with "what works" because that's what they've always done vs. feeling out new approaches to problems or areas of opportunities.

Invest more in employee retention through extended benefits, the ability to grow an employee's own skill/career path within company time, and more visible recognition. The level of effort and cost to the company to give employees micro-rewards will not "reward them for doing their job" nor will it drain any budget allocated to retention.

There are probably worst places to work, but it's definitely not for everyone

ProsLots of young people around, most people in the company I'd say are in their 20s. No matter what position you are in, you will get exposed to all aspects of website building and creation. And you will quickly be thrown into the mix and expected to learn on the job (this isn't a "pro" for everyone). It's not a place to come in and learn for 6 months before you do any real work. Free friday lunches, Friday happy hours, free soda, and the most elaborate coffee machine you will ever see are all nice perks too and it seems like most employees are appreciative. Pay is decent and the hours seem to be fairly normal for agency work.

ConsTurnover is HIGH. People are always coming and going. Several people have been let go since I started. Another handful have left for other opportunities. It seems like the company gives you a few months to "prove" yourself and if you aren't holding up your end or it's not a good fit, they will cut ties without much warning.

The way resources are managed is terrible. Not entirely the project managers' fault.

There is a very clear distinction between the executives and everyone else in the company. Sometimes it feels like management has their own little fraternity inside the company and, aside from a monthly company meeting, 95% of the employees are left out with little communication or exposure to insight.

The company recently went through a rebranding to make it seem like the work the company does is more sexy and glamorous than it really is. It's a web shop, don't get fooled by the fancy language and descriptions on the website.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's hard to keep continuity within the organization with so many people always leaving. There's something to be said for keeping and maintaing your employees.

Get experienced in your field, QUICKLY! So much to do and so much variety!

Developer (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThe people are great and the culture is wonderful. There is some extreme talent on the team. Free beer! I learned TONS when I was at Verndale.

ConsI never had enough time budgeted properly. Any additional hours that I worked on a project were looked down at, even if it's training someone else, refactoring, or taking mistakes into account. Layoffs are heavy-handed. Sitecore and .NET aren't the most desirable technologies.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep in mind that there are three things desired for code - price, quality, and speed. All three of these can't happen in the time I was budgeted.

Good work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsNice people to work with , good growth opportunity

ConsPay is less in general , no bonus , insurance is pretty high specially family insurance

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the growth with employees , treat them as stakeholders

Great people, fast work environment

Boston, MA

Pros- Great people to work with
    - Reasonable benefits for an agency
    - Place to learn a lot

Cons- Middle management lacks leadership

Driven for growth, but not looking to win awards

Boston, MA

ProsManagement is reasonable and fair
    The company rewards for good performance
    Not afraid to push back on abusive clients

ConsCreativity is lacking
    Trying to run a service based company like a manufacturing company
    Habit of trying to address too many initiatives at once and with mediocre outcomes

Satisfying work, interesting jobs

Boston, MA

ProsGood team environment, interesting work, nice people. Good balance between work and personal. Managers seem to care about employees career development, encourage technical development.

ConsPoor benefits and compensation relative to industry (no bonuses or 401(k) matching)

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more competitive with compensation and benefits. Free food on Fridays only gets you so far.

Worked for Verndale? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Verndale reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Verndale CEO Joe Zarrett. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Verndale employees.