Versar Reviews

Versar CEO Anthony L. Otten
Anthony L. Otten

Project Engineer Assis

I worked at Versar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

perfect management forms you professionally

Cons

lack of materials because projects were located on remote area.

Unappreciative company.

Current Employee - UXO Tech  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - UXO Tech in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Versar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Not really production-focused, so low stress. Almost completely outdoors, if you like that. Summer work can be unpleasant. Also, winter work.

Cons

Have to work away from home, at least half the year. No interest from corporate in the worksite, personnel or safety, until something goes wrong, and even then, its minimal. No choice but to commute an hour each way, off the clock. Not sure how uncommon this is, but most jobs of this nature, the commute is on the clock, at least from the office to the field site.

Maybe show some interest in the 'field-hands'. Stop sending out emails to everyone that discuss your safety bonuses and annual bonuses, office parties and perks etc, to people that aren't able to partake, or invited at all.

Best to Avoid!

I have been working at Versar

Pros

Benefits are not bad (although they are not great either).

Cons

I agree with the other reviewers in that management treats staff poorly. Management seems to be in love with itself and has little appreciation for the majority of employees. However a few people who happen to become favorites of management tend to be treated differently and actually have advanced through the ranks. This very “high schoolish” atmosphere exist most notably within the environmental staff in Springfield. Senior management’s strategy for growth is to buy other companies. The problem is that most of the companies they buy already have one foot in the grave. The bureaucracy is very chaotic. New policies are rolled out continuously. Even employee evaluations take months to complete. This and other poor management practices breads inefficiency, which is certainly one reason why the company has a very large multiplier compared to other companies its size. There tends to be a lot of employee turnover, especially within the HQ in Springfield, which says a lot.

Like other have said, management needs to start showing employees more respect and appreciation. Short of that, at least try to make the organization more efficient. The company is also too invested in defense market. Growth strategy should look at other markets and use acquisitions to break into those markets.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very high turnover

Former Employee - Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Plano, TX

I worked at Versar full-time

Pros

During prosperous times this company was able to win interesting and rewarding projects.

Cons

Structures are in place that discourages employees from seeking help and advice when it is needed. Managers often withhold information critical to the success of projects and then use that information against their employees. There is no reward for innovation because most employees and managers seem to be simply riding this office to its death.

I agree with previous reviewers. Both senior and junior management need to treat their employees with respect.

Poorly Managed Top Heavy Organization

I worked at Versar

Pros

Respectful collegial atmosphere, at least in the rank-and-file. Diverse technical capabilities staffed with talented technical human resources.

Cons

Very poor management at the corporate and group level (at least within the environmental group). High level managers spend their time “strategizing” and provide little or no leadership. Unrealistic performance and growth expectations are passed along to the rank-and-file. Management has little appreciation for technical staff and does very little mentoring to develop talent. The CEO’s goal of making Versar, “Employer of Choice” is nothing more than smoke and mirrors. He seldom is reasonable in his expectations and has done little to control organizational costs to make Versar cost competitive in the market place.

Provide real leadership. Think outside the box when it comes to growth strategy and be realistic. Treat technical staff with respect as they are the ones whose services the company profits from.

Good place to start a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA

I worked at Versar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity to learn and travel a lot

Cons

Versar tends to consider employees disposable.

Not treated well

I have been working at Versar full-time for less than a year

Pros

Growing by acquisition. Interesting range of projects and services. Decent infrastructure -- close to paperless, lots of established processes.

Cons

Cheap. Bought our company and proceeded to cut salaries and layoff people. Of course, introduced themselves by saying nothing would change.

Be true to your word that people are your most valued resources, because you don't treat them that way.

A refreshing change from larger companies

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Versar full-time for less than a year

Pros

In a company this size (about 500 employees), I feel like my contributions really matter. The CEO is very personable, and although I'm relatively new it's obvious to me that he and his leadership team are working to effect positive change throughout the organization. Some of these results are already in place, and others are still yet to be seen. The work life balance is good, and stress levels are very manageable compared to other companies where I've worked. Overall, I feel I made a good choice in coming to Versar.

Cons

Versar is working to build up their overhead functions (finance, HR, IT, etc.) and making efforts to improve customer service in these areas. Progress has been made, but continued focus in this area is needed.

I see evidence that you're working to improve communication. Please continue these efforts, as communication is critically important.

Making a difference

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Versar full-time for less than a year

Pros

Before joining Versar, my entire work experience was with very large companies. I was excited to join Versar because of the size and ability to make a difference. In my short tenure, I have accomplished a great deal that is helping to move the organization forward. I enjoy the people I work with as well. In the last three years, the CEO has done a great deal to improve the organization.

Cons

As with any organization, there is some resistance to change amongst the ranks. This will hopefully be lessened with time. Communications don't always filter down to all employees, though we have a quarterly All Hands which is positively received.

Continue to focus externally on growing the business and moving it forward. Keep the focus on communications at all levels and hold leaders accountable.

A company of good people in need of real leadership

I worked at Versar

Pros

It is possible to maintain a healthy professional/personal balance and enjoy a decent quality of life. The culture is collegial. Employees are united in a common purpose and demonstrate respect for each other.

Cons

There is considerable churn in the organization as new processes and policies are continually being rolled out. This creates inefficiencies that affect operations and profitability, and breeds frustration among employees. The company is too heavily invested in the federal market and there are few opportunities for individuals who are entrepreneurial and interested in striking out into new markets.

The leadership consists almost entirely of retired military. Bringing in new leaders with more experience in business administration and with backgrounds outside the federal market space would bring new ideas and opportunities to the organization, and provide greater value to shareholders.

Worked for Versar? Contribute to the Community!