Versent

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014
3.1

Jon Schram

Excellent company with great values

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Versent full-time

Pros

Employees have access to continuing education opportunities, teamwork is encouraged and management participates actively in the day to day interaction with customers. The company is growing which provides career opportunities. Some fun perks are home internet is subsidized, mileage is paid for and they provide company shirts/laundry service.

Cons

There is a certain amount of "chaos" that comes from supporting multiple clients at the same time. We run a service desk and the incoming calls are generally people frustrated with something not working correctly. The work can be stressful at times and evening/weekend projects happen on a regular basis.

Continue focusing on growth and career opportunities.

Great place to work overall

I have been working at Versent full-time

Pros

Working for a small business has it's perks...family feel, flexibility, nice perks like dry cleaning for purple clothes, free snacks, Christmas bonuses, monthly chair massage, cell phone and home internet reimbursement and good benefits. They do seem to care what we want and if we're happy.

Cons

In the past there was a lot of change at the management level, causing confusion, frustration and lack of communciation. For a while that really affected the team morale. That seems to be getting better by the day. I feel like no matter where you work you will be frustrated at times with management. No different here. But overall they know what their shortcomings are and they are working on it.

Revolving door of IT talent and not so talented

I worked at Versent full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good chance to gain experience in a somewhat varied range of technologies, although they understandably try to fit most clients into a box so that it's easier to manage. Decent pay, bonus, and benefits for a small company.

Cons

Poor management and culture. Very little concern for employees on a personal level. Leadership focused on money and politics rather than building strong team. Lots of turnover, both willing and unwilling. Overall, negative environment to work in

Take care of your employees and the rest will work itself out.

Sep 9, 2014Co-Owner

First, thanks for acknowledging some Pros. Second, I agree that we needed to work on the culture. Since April we have come a long way and engaged an outsourced HR consulting firm to assist in ... More

Management hampers desire to perform

I worked at Versent

Pros

On site work at clients. Coffee provided in the office.

Cons

The worst management of employees I have ever witnessed. First 3 team meetings in a row, the "Leader" threatened to fire employees in order to save the company money.

Purple Shirts are ok, considering the company launders them.

The company will force you to volunteer and give all the credit to the company.

Techs with little to no experience are permitted to plan out projects that are not even close to Microsoft recommendations and in some cases go against the recommendations.

The Techs within the company are told that they aren't needed for the company to survive, and should be thankful that they are even employed.

The company does provide coffee and some light snacks.

Please realize that your employees are making the money to keep your business going. Treat your employees with respect, or at least pretend that you respect them, it will go a lot further than making idle threats.

Sep 9, 2014Co-Owner

Obviously we are not perfect! There have been many management changes and personell changes since 2011. I am happy to address any of these concerns with any prospective employee.
    - Jon Schram
    ... More

Worst work experience in 10 years

I worked at Versent

Pros

Lots of time out of the office.

Cons

Management talks down to employees. Management has very little knowledge of IT and how systems work and interact. Over 50% turnover year after year (this can be verified on linkedin.). Most employees are Micro-managed, and this is typically based on how well you get along with one of the managers. Management will not take blame for their mistakes. The "lead" techs which management counts on for techinical decisions, have very little experience and IT background. Customers are often quoted for more and larger equipment than they need. Projects are mismanaged and often cost the customers a great deal of money due to lack of project management and IT know-how among techs. Daily Time sheets. Poor communication from management. Have to wear Purple uniform. Customer turnover is almost as high as employee turnover. Employee's are forced to "volunteer" in exchange for cash bonus, then management says "Versent loves to volunteer to help out the community". Terrible Heatlh insurance. The overall level of knowledge of your co-workers makes it hard for you to be proud of the work that you do as many customers are not receiving what they paid for.

Stop going to all the business "workshops" and learn about IT and industry trends. Find a "partner" whose management style doesn't end up with over 50% turn over year after year. Better benefits. Find better ways to improve morale.

Sep 9, 2014Co-Owner

I find many things to disagree with in this review but since it dates back to 2011, we have made many changes since then. I am happy to address any of these comments with any prospective employee ... More

Purple guys are pretty good.

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Versent

Pros

Good group of people. Fun environment to work in. Decent pay for the market. Everyone is treated pretty well. Mostly flexible in allowing for personal time. Techs are paid extra for extra work. People seem to care about each other.

Cons

Inconsistent company performance - things are up and down a lot. Lack of communication with management. Things need to be better organized. The techs are often overworked. Not enough people to do the work that needs to be done. Need better benefits.

Hire some more people. Get a better health insurance plan. Communicate what's going on to everybody so people are not in the dark. Improve communication between everybody.

Sep 9, 2014Co-Owner

Thank you for the pro & con! We have made many additions to our benfits since 2009 and we have almost doubled the size of our staff. - Jon Schram, president

A revolving door employer who doesn't value employees but rather the bottom line.

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer

I worked at Versent

Pros

Decent pay, opportunity to work with variety of technologies but primarily focused on small businesses which lessens growth potential, somewhat promotes training and development, overtime pay system even for salary, bonus system in place based on monthly performance. Not a lot of pros, it's merely a job while you look for a better job for almost all it's employees.

Cons

Management appears to not care about it's employees which shows in it's unusually high turnover rate, lack of employee engagement, gimmicky marketing, uniform requirement, general distrust between management and engineers, cheap ownership that won't provide proper equipment for employees, average benefits even for a small company, ineffective internal systems for managing client needs and employee time

Learn how to value your employees over your bottom line. Employees need to feel more secure in their job. Find their talents and put them to use. Too many talented employees who are stuck doing the wrong tasks. Allow them to grow their career and take on more responsibilities. Don't be so cheap and provide your engineers with all the equipment needed to do their job. Don't require volunteer time for bonus pay and then only do volunteer work after hours. It would show you really care if you actually did volunteer time on company time. Take more time to celebrate the good things that the company and it's employees are doing and less time complaining about the bad things in a group setting. Overall, there is a lot that needs done for this company to retain it's employees and grow the company the right way.

Sep 9, 2014Co-Owner

Thank you for taking the time to provide detailed comments. We've changed a lot since 2012 and are continuing to make changes. One thing that is the same are the Purple Shirts! - Jon Schram ... More

Versent Photos