Version 1 Reviews

Reset
4.2
Version 1 CEO Justin Keatinge
Justin Keatinge

Pros
  • Core values are not just writing on the wall (in 22 reviews)

• Strong focus on career development from day one (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The only con I can think of so far is working on client site as its hard to stay connected to the company (in 4 reviews)

• Consultancy has its downsides, your clients often don't have the same core values and work ethic and this can lead to dissatisifcation (in 4 reviews)

High Performers Only

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Version 1 full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been here over 10 years and have gone through several careers in that time. I know from talking to my peers that the type of work i do, and my earnings, are well ahead of others that started working at the same time. It is a great place to work for those that work hard, have ability and buy into the values, particularly 'drive' and 'excellence'. I've benefited from the quarterly performance review cycle by having multiple career changes and salary increases in one year. Very good social club and the community trust is a really positive way to give back to the communities

Cons

It's not for the faint-hearted, or those that are looking for a job but not a career. Average people or those with low drive end up leaving. I don't see that as a con per se, but a warning to people that are considering a career here - it is a high intensity place you are expected to be excellent and if you're not then there will be some hard conversations with you so be prepared!

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

2. Exciting, Fast Paced, Hard Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Version 1

Pros

The company is ambitious and makes no apology for it. I joined because I wanted to be part of what is potentially an exciting journey for an Irish company expanding overseas. There is a huge amount of potential for growth in the UK market if they were to replicate their success in Ireland.

I have found that where I have been able to put a case forward for change or improvement, I have been listened to and that is refreshing having come from large companies in the past where sign-off processes were stifling.

You need to be a self-starter here and not wait around for people to tell you what needs to be done.

Lots of talented, interesting, nice people work here. Always nice to go for a beer with them when we find the time.

Overall, whilst there are definitely some tough days, I'm really enjoying it.

Cons

You work hard if you work for Version 1. Always a million things going on and a very fast pace driven by the quarterly approach.

There are growing pains which can be frustrating at times - I suppose this is not unexpected for a company that is growing very quickly. Internal processes and activities still need work, but they are listening and getting there.

Advice to Management

Keep striving for internal excellence as well as excellence for customers.

Not a Great Place to work

Former Employee - Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Version 1 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great location, some really nice people and free bar on nights out (you just have to put up with 2 hours of a quarterly meeting)

Cons

Were do I start, maybe I'm more biased as I had a terrible experience in there but I'm not the only one. When a company has core values and preach so much about them, its disappointing when senior managers including directors don't follow them. So many good consultants have left over the last year that you can't keep track. Quarterly reviews are pointless as if you get a 3 which is your doing your job, its frowned upon cause you didn't make it excellent thus your bonus is low. Have seen managers take a dislike to their staff and bullying becomes involved and payments being made. Rumors have it that women are the main target of being pushed out, especially in the HR office and public sector projects.

Advice to Management

Stop paying over 10k to the Great Place to Work as your sliding down the rating and put it into renovation of Jervis St. Go back to basics and work with your staff

Version 1 Response

Jun 22, 2015HR Director

Sorry that you had a terrible 5 years with us. We have reviewed your feedback and are compelled to point out the inaccuracies and unsubstantiated parts:
    1. It clearly states that you are
    ... More

5. Just some few words

Current Employee - Applications Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Applications Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Version 1 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing Core Values, Amazing environment, Amazing Employee Respect and Care

Cons

I would like to ask maybe to consider a better Health insurance plan with more cover conditions for the essential health care: Dental & Optical & Massage Therapy, since the employees work several hours in front of a computer, all the time sitting and in a not good posture for their back.

Advice to Management

Nothing to declare

Steer Clear

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Version 1 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Will fill out later.......maybe........ok.....they allow you to stay in 2 star hotels

Cons

The worst company I've ever worked for, totally unappreciated.

They're a typical old school IT company that looks at bottom line, the rest is just flannel.

Do not appreciate staff at all as they have a high turnover and little retention.

Advice to Management

Go do something else

Strong, reliable, focussed, successful. Talented people.

I have been working at Version 1 part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A diverse portfolio of customers in just about every sector means there is a great opportunity to gain and deepen IT and industry-specific knowledge and experience. There is also an approachable senior management team that follows through on its objectives.

Cons

With so much on-site working and the growing presence in the UK, it can be hard for colleagues to work together on important internal initiatives.

Advice to Management

Don't let the rapid growth in recent years reduce the cohesion of the whole organisation and the good communication that has been established.

Good place to start a career.

Current Employee - Java Dev in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Java Dev in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Version 1

Pros

Good all round, with really good people, who are very supportive, and encourage personal growth.

They hire a lot of people out of college and out of jobsbridge/bluebridge schemes, and give them everything they need for a successful career, (expensive) professional training, time off for professional exams, vouchers for oracle/microsoft exams, etc.

Pay can be fair to good, as long as you are willing to work very hard.

Core values are awesome.

Cons

Working on-site can mean you have to deal with the workplace politics and rules of other organisations, which can be okay in most cases, but a bit of a nightmare in some cases.

Can have a poor work life balance at times, between training all the time, commuting to customer sites, and working up overtime to afford living in Dublin.

Quarterly rhythm can be a bit of a pain when you're really really busy.

Advice to Management

Hold off on acquisitions for a few months, let the people integrate with eachother.

Salary of employees should be reviewed with them annually

Current Employee - Software Developer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Version 1 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In many ways my work is flexible although there can be long hours. Time off policies are heard in a fair and reasonable manner. I hear stories of those whose wishes aren't met but I believe if you're reasonable so is the company.

Cons

While the quarterly bonus is good that's really it There's no stock options and while there is a concept of it at the famous Level 5 how that works and what the options are not shared - unless you get there. It's like going for something without knowing what the prize is.

Advice to Management

Be transparent about the CPDs and have people who get through the process do a piece to camera on it so real world value can be shared and one gets the face behind the news

Don't believe the hype...

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Version 1 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Version 1 is in an excellent location for transport and shops. You may have an hour for lunch and with Temple bar so close you will always have some where nice to eat.

Cons

.Version 1 does not keep to its core values.. most training is in house or DIY (Brain dumps or VCE no labs to work with). Team leads that are only interested in your paceman being chargeable and not in you or what is happening in your life. You get reviewed 4 times a year to stop you asking for more money. Most of the reviews on glass-door were done by grads. The grads are told to add a review in there first week of working in Version 1. So DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE about best place to work.

Advice to Management

Stop believing your own PR hype and go back to looking after the people that made Version 1 the most profitable Irish IT company. Going back to basics means looking after your hard working people

Great Place to work

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Version 1 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company feel for a large expanding company. CTO and other directors sit amongst the staff, and are easily approachable. Very friendly and Supportive, especially when it comes to personal circumstances.

Cons

Communication between Sales and other departments could be better. Tight deadlines can be agreed, and specs agreed that are not easily achieved, which put teams delivering under extreme pressure.

RSS Feed </> Embed