Version 1

Updated July 17, 2014

4.8

Justin Keatinge

Exciting fast paced company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

The live the core values. Honesty and integrity; personal commitment; no ego; customer first; excellence; drive

Dynamic flexible company

Excellent training

Cons

Have to adapt to a company with changing characteristics

Excellent Expectations

Current Employee - Database Administrator  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

Wide variety of projects on different clients with friendly environment that gives you the possibility of growing and learning every day.

Cons

From the perspective of a new employer can't say anything.

Nothing to advice so far.

Fantastic place to have a career and develop your skill set.

Pros

Company very big on developing talent and training, they like employees to better themselves. Genuinely seem to care about people and strike a healthy work life balance. Great exposure to all current/new technologies. Truly believe in the core values and push team building, this creates a great buzz about the place.

Cons

Not long here so haven seen anything negative yet.

Quarterly review can seem like a lot to be honest, maybe reduce to bi-annual reviews (even after a year or two).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

So far, a very solid and positive experience

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

very positive can do attitude, great confidence but no egotism, strong emphasis on business growth and living the values of the organisation - the Snr Management of the organisation walk the talk.

Cons

I work on a client site so connecting and trying to stay connected to my own organisation and its culture / values is challenging and will continue to be.

Keep doing what you are doing

Down to earth people who work well together

Current Employee - Graduate IT Consultant  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Graduate IT Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

The core values of Version 1 are evident by the calibre of their staff. My favourite, "no ego", has made working for this company so much more enjoyable than previous companies I've worked for. Being part of the setup for over a month, I'd gladly go for a pint with any of my colleagues.

Version 1 take the training of their staff seriously, and we work together to specify exactly what training I need to progress in my role e.g. programming certification. This is ideal as opposed to the approach I’ve experienced previously, whereby lots of training occurs early on, much of which may be irrelevant to the role.

Staff nights out are very enjoyable.

Cons

I haven't experienced any cons yet. This is the best company I've worked for.

Please continue with excellent speakers at the quarterly meetings. I really enjoyed the motivational speech given by Davy Fitzgerald, the Clare hurling manager, recently.

Version 1 Response

Aug 19, 2014Engagement Manager

Thanks for your posting. Our Quarterly Company Briefings are enhanced by people like Davy Fitz, Mark Little and Billy Walsh who all impart a little bit of wisdom on what makes winning teams and how ... More

Don't judge the book by the cover

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

Access to the latest IT software for your enhancing your technical skillset. Compensation for contractors is a good daily rate.

Cons

If I could sum up Version1 with one word, it would be Hypocrisy.

Version1 preach about 'Core Values' but they are broken every day. Management have this Utopia idea that everyone lives by the Core Values, which is simply not the case. One of the Core Values is 'No Ego', well let me tell you there are a lot of big egos in this company.

Don't be the next person who is fooled by Version1's Career Path Development program. I have been with Version1 over 4 years now and have yet to meet someone who has moved up along the ladder (apart from the senior managers of course, who help themselves). New-comers will hear about the CPD, but many will never see it put into practice.

Profit share, which is allocated quarterly, is supposed to be reflective of chargeability, performance, etc. I have worked my socks off many quarters, doing long hours and getting good results and still received the same profit share. I am aware of other employees (and ex-employees) who have also experienced this.

Certification is encouraged, but in many cases it's only to retain the gold and platinum certification status with big software providers. Some employees are bullied into doing certifications purely for this purpose. This results in insufficient study being done for the exams and the candidates resorting to cramming exam dumps to complete the exams. This is not true in all cases, but is clearly evident.

Version 1 is a GAA house. All the senior managers, as well as most of the Irish contingent within Version1 are GAA crazy, to the extent that they had David Fitzgerald come in as a guest speaker, as well as reserving a function room within Croke Park as a venue for a company briefing. You will be quizzed a lot as to 'what did you think of the game?', and just be prepared for a strange look if you say that you don't follow GAA.

As we speak, the company is paying a lot of attention to growth and expansion and the current workforce has been neglected quite a bit.

LISTEN to your employees. FOLLOW up on your promises (CPD, Profit Share based on performance/charegeability, etc), LOOK AFTER your current employees or you will grow large....and out of control. STOP preaching about Core Values until they cease to be broken every day, it makes the Company look idiotic.

Version 1 Response

Aug 19, 2014Engagement Manager

Thank you for the posting and sorry Version 1 was not for you. Rather than respond to each point you make, we will just comment on your advice to management, which is appreciated:
    1. LISTEN TO YOUR
    ... More

Excellent company with such a strong ethos built around its Core Values and it really has an open door policy.

Current Employee - Human Resources Department  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Department in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

Values based employer, great leadership who believe in their employees, good career progression model and there's a big focus on building something special. A lot of time and effort spent on CSR activities and the entire company gets involved.

Cons

For guys based on-site it can be hard to feel part of the Company but there is a project group looking at addressing this.

Excellent Company, Great Leadership and ambition, Strong Core Values

Current Employee - Financial Accountant  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Financial Accountant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

Career development opportunities, training , good benefits , Nice working conditions

Cons

Commute takes an hour and fifteen minutes

Warm, Friendly, fast paced, performance & goal oriented, positive, NO EGO !

Current Employee - IT Consultant  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

Professionalism, dedication for job from everyone. No time for complaining as time is very prescious !

Cons

Unpredictable environment not for everyone, especially those that care for strict rules- Customer first !

more meetings would not harm anyone.

Good Company that lives up to its Values

Current Employee - Graduate IT Consultant  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Graduate IT Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

Version 1 have offered me the opportunity to start an IT career in a supportive and friendly environment. They treat their staff well, there is lots of potential for learning (in fact I learn something new each day!) and getting certified is encouraged and supported. I have a very good team lead who supports me, I have a friendly, welcoming team, I work on a wide range of technologies exposing me to new challenges...what more can I ask for :-)

Cons

I'm new to the company, but I have seen none so far.

Keep following the Core Values.

Worked for Version 1? Contribute to the Community!