Version 1

Updated November 5, 2014
Updated November 5, 2014
4.7

Justin Keatinge

Pros
  • Their core values such as Excellence & No Ego really shine through on a daily basis (in 22 reviews)

• Career development opportunities, training , good benefits , Nice working conditions (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It's hard to stay connected to the company when more than 90% of the time is spent on the client site (in 4 reviews)

• Consultancy has its downsides, your clients often don't have the same core values and work ethic and this can lead to dissatisifcation (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Version 1 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Small company feel for a large expanding company. CTO and other directors sit amongst the staff, and are easily approachable. Very friendly and Supportive, especially when it comes to personal circumstances.

Cons

Communication between Sales and other departments could be better. Tight deadlines can be agreed, and specs agreed that are not easily achieved, which put teams delivering under extreme pressure.

A great place to work - Great people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Version 1 as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Dynamic, fast paced company on the up. Core values are central to everything that the company takes on. Broad range of people with great span of life experience.

Cons

The company relies on great people to get the job done. Getting new business and delivering to each customer is paramount, this will present challenges to growing the company. Confident it will be done though.

Good company, a great place to work

Current Employee - Business Applications Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Business Applications Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Version 1 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've been working for five months for Version1. I can say that they really focus on having happy employees. Until now, it was no need to stay overtime and if I had a problem and I needed to leave earlier, it was fine.

There is lots of potential for learning and getting certified is encouraged and supported (for Oracle people's twice a year there is a test fest where you can take any exams you want).

Cons

Quarterly Self-evaluation.

It's hard to stay connected to the company when more than 90% of the time is spent on the client site.

Excellent start

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Portlaoise (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Portlaoise (Ireland)

I have been working at Version 1 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Since the first contact, all the interactions are friendly and very positive.
    Version 1 is a company that stand for core values, everyone knows them and everyone follow because everyone understand the importance and benefits they represent.
    One of them, the one that I choose, is No Ego. I always had difficult to deal with people with egos bigger than the brains. In this company, you have proud on your team and company. you don't need to make yourself bigger than others, colleagues, customers or any co-workers.
    Everything is explained carefully during the interviews and first days of work. There are no misunderstood because there is nothing to hide.

Cons

Being on client site, as 80% of IT consultants do, don't give me the opportunity to follow closer what's going on the company HQ.

nothing for now

Great place to work

Current Employee - Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Version 1 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company is full of good people, all working hard towards the same goal. No politics or backbiting, just focus on getting the job done in the best way possible. People here take pride in working here, and pride in the role they play in a growing, ambitious company.

Flexible approach to work, nobody seems to mind whether you want to work in Ireland or UK, at home or in the office, once you get your work done.

Senior management meet new joiners on induction day, and then remember your name and stop to chat on a regular basis.

Seems to be a progressive attitude to training in new technologies and gaining new skill, should prevent anyone getting bored. Also have a broad base of clients so you can sample different sectors

Growing company means there is room to develop and move your career in any direction you like

Cons

You need to be able to work independently - other people in the office working on other projects in other technologies, so you might not have options to bounce ideas off colleagues depending on your role

Keep doing what you're doing. Try not to lose the personal touch as the company grows larger

A great company for those with drive and ambition. The opportunities are vast and the challenges are great

I have been working at Version 1 full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Version 1 is a fast growing company with many opportunities for those with a hunger to strive and drive their career. Training and support is provided where needed and there is nothing better than getting your hands dirty to learn and grow. The variety of customers, industries, technologies and implementation methods keeps everyone on their toes and ensures that everyone continues to learn from each engagement. Never a dull moment.

Cons

We need to continue to build the pool of good people we have on the ground. Our accounts need strong driven career focussed individuals

My First Month

I have been working at Version 1 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It might not seem like a lot of time to judge a company or role but first impressions are everything. When starting in a new company you should already know what they provide. Salary and benefits are agreed up front and a small bit of research will generally give you a sense of what else is on offer. So induction days, although completely necessary, are generally routine affairs. Version1 is no different and even though I was impressed by their chosen 'core values' I have had the experience of companies changing their values more often than they refreshed their laptops, so I withheld my judgement until I truly got to work.
    After a couple of days of meet-and-greets and some role training, I started to get into the swing of things. Initial vibes were good but it was not until I attended my first meeting that I finally understood what made Version1 different. In my previous company collaboration meant agreeing to do what I was told, Version1 could not be more different. Sitting in a meeting room everyone's opinions were welcomed, here was an organisation that finally understood that the people in the room are more important than the PowerPoint presentation. This attitude of open collaboration is imbedded in the vary fabric of Version1 and coupled with values of honesty and integrity mean the term team is actually relevant and not just a over used buzzword.
    Finally the emphasis on the quality of people they hire and the focus on continued education mean that companies is striving to do their very best in all aspects of their work. This company is moving forwards and intends to bring it's employees with them. Again this is something that can be physically seen and is not just a sales pitch with no certification at the end.

Cons

Version1 is a growing company, increasing staff levels will put all aspects of their core values under pressure and I believe certain aspects of the company will require dramatic transformation to become more scalable. This is not exactly a con but more of a challenge and with the right people and focus I have no doubt it can be achieved.

When it comes to a companies growth it is very difficult to be proactive. New customers tend to bring with them unseen challenges and can't quite often can spark a spiral of reactive behaviour resulting in dissatisfaction. To better manage these challenges it is important routinely assess the current situation with each team and have plans in place for expansion. And not just how quickly can we hire more people but how scalable are the tools that are in use or what would be the impact of the communication shifting from emails to calls? A much used but relevant phrase would be "failure to prepare is preparing to fail"

If Carlsberg did jobs....

Current Employee - Graduate IT Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Graduate IT Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Version 1 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Throughout the interview process I kept thinking, this company really sounds too good to be true. After my first couple of weeks I released it was, all it was cracked up to be and more.
    - When I joined the training was quite in-depth but broad enough to get an overview of all areas of the company and technologies.
    - The management are all very open and are there to help you progress your career.
    - Version 1 really want you to do well, which is extremely motivating from an employee point of view.
    - There is excellent training and development opportunities.
    - The company has a set of Core Values, which they really live by!

Cons

The only con I can think of so far is working on client site as its hard to stay connected to the company. This unfortunately is the way for a lot of developers in Version 1.
    After my first 6 weeks I was put on client site. After getting used to the Version 1 in office culture it was hard to adapt to the client site culture.

Maybe something to make client based teams feel more part of the team. Other than that, keep doing what you are doing!

Great first impression

I have been working at Version 1 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very quick recruitment turnaround - Interview to offer in less than a week.
    Strong focus on career development from day one.
    Welcoming atmosphere from others on team
    Core values are not just writing on the wall

Cons

To early to tell at this stage

Have been with the company for nearly a year and enjoy coming to work again.

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Kings Hill, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Kings Hill, England (UK)

I have been working at Version 1 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The core values say everything about how the company works, and everyone believes in them. The company is warm and friendly, cares about its employees so because of that they get more back when its needed. For anyone wanting to develop their career, this is a good place to be.
    Also a clear commitment to improve the community we live in through the Community Trust.

Cons

At times feel a bit isolated when dealing with excessive customer demands, we shouldnt be afraid to say no at times. Not the highest of profiles in the UK, but this will improve with expanded business oppotunities.

Recruitment policy in the UK will need to be looked at, we have interviewed for a number of positions in Kent office and we are not attracting local people with the right skill sets. It shouldnt be necessary to relocate graduates 500 miles to train them up, these graduates also live and seek employment in the South East of England.