Version 1 Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
54 reviews filtered by
4.5
Justin Keatinge

Pros
  • Their core values such as Excellence & No Ego really shine through on a daily basis (in 22 reviews)

• Career development opportunities, training , good benefits , Nice working conditions (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It's hard to stay connected to the company when more than 90% of the time is spent on the client site (in 4 reviews)

• Consultancy has its downsides, your clients often don't have the same core values and work ethic and this can lead to dissatisifcation (in 4 reviews)

Strong, reliable, focussed, successful. Talented people.

I have been working at Version 1 part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A diverse portfolio of customers in just about every sector means there is a great opportunity to gain and deepen IT and industry-specific knowledge and experience. There is also an approachable senior management team that follows through on its objectives.

Cons

With so much on-site working and the growing presence in the UK, it can be hard for colleagues to work together on important internal initiatives.

Advice to Management

Don't let the rapid growth in recent years reduce the cohesion of the whole organisation and the good communication that has been established.

2. Good place to start a career.

Current Employee - Java Dev in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Java Dev in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Version 1

Pros

Good all round, with really good people, who are very supportive, and encourage personal growth.

They hire a lot of people out of college and out of jobsbridge/bluebridge schemes, and give them everything they need for a successful career, (expensive) professional training, time off for professional exams, vouchers for oracle/microsoft exams, etc.

Pay can be fair to good, as long as you are willing to work very hard.

Core values are awesome.

Cons

Working on-site can mean you have to deal with the workplace politics and rules of other organisations, which can be okay in most cases, but a bit of a nightmare in some cases.

Can have a poor work life balance at times, between training all the time, commuting to customer sites, and working up overtime to afford living in Dublin.

Quarterly rhythm can be a bit of a pain when you're really really busy.

Advice to Management

Hold off on acquisitions for a few months, let the people integrate with eachother.

3. Salary of employees should be reviewed with them annually

Current Employee - Software Developer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Version 1 full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In many ways my work is flexible although there can be long hours. Time off policies are heard in a fair and reasonable manner. I hear stories of those whose wishes aren't met but I believe if you're reasonable so is the company.

Cons

While the quarterly bonus is good that's really it There's no stock options and while there is a concept of it at the famous Level 5 how that works and what the options are not shared - unless you get there. It's like going for something without knowing what the prize is.

Advice to Management

Be transparent about the CPDs and have people who get through the process do a piece to camera on it so real world value can be shared and one gets the face behind the news

Don't believe the hype...

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Version 1 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Version 1 is in an excellent location for transport and shops. You may have an hour for lunch and with Temple bar so close you will always have some where nice to eat.

Cons

.Version 1 does not keep to its core values.. most training is in house or DIY (Brain dumps or VCE no labs to work with). Team leads that are only interested in your paceman being chargeable and not in you or what is happening in your life. You get reviewed 4 times a year to stop you asking for more money. Most of the reviews on glass-door were done by grads. The grads are told to add a review in there first week of working in Version 1. So DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE about best place to work.

Advice to Management

Stop believing your own PR hype and go back to looking after the people that made Version 1 the most profitable Irish IT company. Going back to basics means looking after your hard working people

Great Place to work

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Version 1 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Small company feel for a large expanding company. CTO and other directors sit amongst the staff, and are easily approachable. Very friendly and Supportive, especially when it comes to personal circumstances.

Cons

Communication between Sales and other departments could be better. Tight deadlines can be agreed, and specs agreed that are not easily achieved, which put teams delivering under extreme pressure.

7. A great place to work - Great people

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Version 1 as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Dynamic, fast paced company on the up. Core values are central to everything that the company takes on. Broad range of people with great span of life experience.

Cons

The company relies on great people to get the job done. Getting new business and delivering to each customer is paramount, this will present challenges to growing the company. Confident it will be done though.

8. Good company, a great place to work

Current Employee - Business Applications Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Business Applications Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Version 1 full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've been working for five months for Version1. I can say that they really focus on having happy employees. Until now, it was no need to stay overtime and if I had a problem and I needed to leave earlier, it was fine.

There is lots of potential for learning and getting certified is encouraged and supported (for Oracle people's twice a year there is a test fest where you can take any exams you want).

Cons

Quarterly Self-evaluation.

It's hard to stay connected to the company when more than 90% of the time is spent on the client site.

9. Excellent start

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Portlaoise (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Portlaoise (Ireland)

I have been working at Version 1 full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Since the first contact, all the interactions are friendly and very positive.
    Version 1 is a company that stand for core values, everyone knows them and everyone follow because everyone understand the importance and benefits they represent.
    One of them, the one that I choose, is No Ego. I always had difficult to deal with people with egos bigger than the brains. In this company, you have proud on your team and company. you don't need to make yourself bigger than others, colleagues, customers or any co-workers.
    Everything is explained carefully during the interviews and first days of work. There are no misunderstood because there is nothing to hide.

Cons

Being on client site, as 80% of IT consultants do, don't give me the opportunity to follow closer what's going on the company HQ.

Advice to Management

nothing for now

My First Month

I have been working at Version 1 full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It might not seem like a lot of time to judge a company or role but first impressions are everything. When starting in a new company you should already know what they provide. Salary and benefits are agreed up front and a small bit of research will generally give you a sense of what else is on offer. So induction days, although completely necessary, are generally routine affairs. Version1 is no different and even though I was impressed by their chosen 'core values' I have had the experience of companies changing their values more often than they refreshed their laptops, so I withheld my judgement until I truly got to work.
    After a couple of days of meet-and-greets and some role training, I started to get into the swing of things. Initial vibes were good but it was not until I attended my first meeting that I finally understood what made Version1 different. In my previous company collaboration meant agreeing to do what I was told, Version1 could not be more different. Sitting in a meeting room everyone's opinions were welcomed, here was an organisation that finally understood that the people in the room are more important than the PowerPoint presentation. This attitude of open collaboration is imbedded in the vary fabric of Version1 and coupled with values of honesty and integrity mean the term team is actually relevant and not just a over used buzzword.
    Finally the emphasis on the quality of people they hire and the focus on continued education mean that companies is striving to do their very best in all aspects of their work. This company is moving forwards and intends to bring it's employees with them. Again this is something that can be physically seen and is not just a sales pitch with no certification at the end.

Cons

Version1 is a growing company, increasing staff levels will put all aspects of their core values under pressure and I believe certain aspects of the company will require dramatic transformation to become more scalable. This is not exactly a con but more of a challenge and with the right people and focus I have no doubt it can be achieved.

Advice to Management

When it comes to a companies growth it is very difficult to be proactive. New customers tend to bring with them unseen challenges and can't quite often can spark a spiral of reactive behaviour resulting in dissatisfaction. To better manage these challenges it is important routinely assess the current situation with each team and have plans in place for expansion. And not just how quickly can we hire more people but how scalable are the tools that are in use or what would be the impact of the communication shifting from emails to calls? A much used but relevant phrase would be "failure to prepare is preparing to fail"

Great place to work

Current Employee - Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Version 1 full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company is full of good people, all working hard towards the same goal. No politics or backbiting, just focus on getting the job done in the best way possible. People here take pride in working here, and pride in the role they play in a growing, ambitious company.

Flexible approach to work, nobody seems to mind whether you want to work in Ireland or UK, at home or in the office, once you get your work done.

Senior management meet new joiners on induction day, and then remember your name and stop to chat on a regular basis.

Seems to be a progressive attitude to training in new technologies and gaining new skill, should prevent anyone getting bored. Also have a broad base of clients so you can sample different sectors

Growing company means there is room to develop and move your career in any direction you like

Cons

You need to be able to work independently - other people in the office working on other projects in other technologies, so you might not have options to bounce ideas off colleagues depending on your role

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Try not to lose the personal touch as the company grows larger