Vertafore

Updated January 22, 2015
3.4

Vertafore President & CEO Alex Lintner
Alex Lintner

Pros
  • Flexibility allows you to have a healthy work-life balance (in 22 reviews)

• I love the people here; all are great people who care about the work they do (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management makes commitments to user groups but then does not fulfill promises (in 14 reviews)

• Upper Management has no idea what they are doing and re-org's happen all the time (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent place to work, close to home, unsure what future holds

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent work / life balance, A few onsite perks like a staffed coffee bar, great location if you live in the northend or eastside suburbs

Cons

Leadership in flux (CEO fired last month after 1 year on the job), Belt tightening as the Private Equity owners prepare for a sale, Benefits are becoming more expensive (Strongly pushing high deductible plan on employees), unclear career paths, bonus structure lower than industry standard for employees below director level

Promote from within, show loyalty and respect to your tenured employees (instead of pushing people out)

Application support position.

I worked at Vertafore full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good people and office environment

Cons

Low pay, long hours and NO training on technologies handed to you.

Training, higher pay and less hours. The reason for the long hours resulted from the inability to retain people (see lack of training and low pay). A bad circle to get into.

Unstable but great place to learn if just starting in industry - great location too

Current Employee - Sales/Marketing/Product in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Sales/Marketing/Product in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great location
    flexible hours
    flexible remote work and Work From Home
    some good people if you are in the click or inner circle
    great pay too

Cons

unstable environment
    unstable management
    lower level seems to get punished for management errors in the form of layoffs
    regardless of company performance, most employees I find are in threat of being laid off (there have been many layoffs in the past few years even though we have consistently beat our revenue goals are hugely profiting - doesn't make sense morally
    no transparency in company or department direction...
    need more people managers who know how to develop their team - feels like managers manage out of fear and keep all the decision making to themselves but advertise they want everyone's input - they contradict themselves
    more PTO or at least increases each year would be nice
    more support of women climbing the corp ladder would also be good - overly male populated culture with dominating view as well - not necessarily on a conscious level - but management can use more solid female leaders who are more people developers than just individual contributors.
    some idea of whats going on with the CEO opening to the company after almost 5 months of the former CEO's departure would also be nice ---- this point circles back to lack of communication and tranparency

promote more from within
    grow your bottom level employees - teach them instead of just replacing them
    communicate, communicate, communicate
    investigate more of why your employees are either not performing (especially when they USED to) or just simply not engaged anymore --- there might be other factors at play instead of just getting rid of that particular employee... he/she may not be the problem (hint hint)

If you enjoy feeling valued as an employee and having management you can trust and count on- look elsewhere

Former Employee - Professional Services in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Professional Services in Bothell, WA

I worked at Vertafore

Pros

Free coffee, apples, bananas, cheerios, oranges and mixed nuts.

Cons

Work/life balance is difficult to attain.
    Support from management is all talk but no follow through. Management tends to flip flop on process and guidance which results in a lack of clarity on expectation. Capacity planning is flawed leading to a dis-balance in load in the team. Perpetual communication of "hang in there- it's going to get better" when the root of the issues continues to be overlooked. There is no documentation on standard operating procedures which results in the need to rely on tribal knowledge from a group of people who are already swamped with daily work and not easily accessible.

Hitting numbers is important but perhaps realize that hitting those numbers at the cost of burning out your entire team isn't worth it.

Great corporate culture

Former Employee - Software Engineering in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering in Bothell, WA

I worked at Vertafore as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and approachable and they honestly care about whether you're being overworked, even if it's by your own choice that you stay late. The free espresso stand doesn't hurt, either.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons. I was only there for a short time as an intern, so I didn't see the whole experience, though.

Keep up what you're doing. It's clear that things are still in the process of changing, but the direction the company is going is a really positive one.

Unstable enviornent

Former Employee - Software Developer in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Bothell, WA

I worked at Vertafore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of changes new managers with great ideas

Cons

Layoffs and many changes constantly

Create consistency

Sad and Disappointing

I worked at Vertafore full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Those who actually deliver and perform the work (below Directors) are dedicated to doing what's right.
    The employees are friendly and courteous amongst their peers.
    Crazy part is that I would reconsider going back under the right 'leadership'. There is opportunity here, but not under the management they currently have.

Cons

The profiles on GlassDoor reflect a serious imbalance. As you read through these, ask yourself. Why do some people see things going so well, while others see it going so poorly?
    Heavy on executives who think they're architects/engineers. No leadership.

Executives lack transparency, integrity and respect, and prefer to preach platitudes and advice in areas they have no experience in.

Investments and value are in the new and shiny rock, with little to no investment made in the future facing considerations of running them.

Good place to make money if you don't work there. Just take an SVP/VP to dinner/lunch or a ride to the airport and you're in.

Any function of 'running a service' is undervalued, and operational maturity is an afterthought that creates finger pointing, scapegoats and broadly recognized as an immaturity they would prefer to ignore.

Pick your role in this company very carefully. You're success at Vertafore comes from being aside the shiny rock, not from the success of ensuring it continues to shine.
    Be weary though, as the axe will come down hard when they need to blame someone for the failure that comes from execution of cheap and fast, while openly accepting poor quality.

Create an executive leadership role for someone who understands how to run a service, and make the CTO a peer of that role. The CTO is not mature or credible enough to understand or accept this responsibility.

When reviewing the results of the Survey taken earlier this year, focus on the groups providing the poor feedback.

Actually listen to your people. Don't set up time for them to talk to you, then dismiss their feedback like a cat swatting a mouse.

You have created a culture of distrust and disrespect. Talk is cheap and has outworn it's effectiveness.
    This gap in integrity won't be solved quickly, but you can show improvements by taking actions that move the needle in the right direction.

Bad management

I worked at Vertafore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People are nice to work with

Cons

Management is worst. People who can lick and praise there managers will survive and get promotions, no matter they show results or not, they work or not.

They suck.

Great place to work and it just keeps getting better!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've been happy here from the start (2+ years ago) but it keeps getting better. Our new CEO has brought great energy, passion and concern for employees as well as customers and other stakeholders. I feel our leadership is the best it's been in my time here. There's vision and strategy and we're making changes to ensure everyone is aligned with those. The compensation and benefits are good and there's a lot of flexibility. I feel empowered and supported by my boss and VP. I work hard and have a long list of "to dos" every day but the work is fun and challenging and I'm still able to maintain good work/life balance. As hard as people work you're not expected to be connected around the clock. I rarely get email on the weekends, for example, which tells me people respect others' personal time. There are also a lot of fun perks and activities for employees, a bonus program and merit increases.

Things that have improved in my time here: communication, transparency, sense of purpose and vision, employee perks, improved PTO plan, stronger leaders. No company is perfect but Vertafore gives me exactly what I need and what I was looking for when I came here.

Cons

As we go through this transition period, there are even more changes than you'd find elsewhere. I appreciate them as I see them as necessary to our future and that they provide opportunity but it can be tough for people that really resist change. I get bored if things DON'T change and am pretty resilient so I don't view this as a con but others might.

Career opportunities really depend on your skills and the group you're in so I marked that just a bit lower than the other categories.

Keep helping teams align with the strategy and understand their place and purpose and keep up with the changes Alex and the leadership team have brought!

Vertafore Review

Current Employee - LRS Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - LRS Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, fun work atmosphere

Cons

No upward movement within organization