Vertafore Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

New leadership, great energy, great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined the company earlier this year. The recruiting process has been extremely smooth, informative and helped me make an informed decision about joining the company.

The company is being revolutionized by the new leadership. The CEO (who has been with the company for less than a year) is bringing a lot of positive energy, a cutting-edge high-tech company culture and a clear sense of direction.

Truly a great place to work!

Cons

The company is changing and growing. Some existing employees cling to the past and find it hard to change.
    Some of the products need to be revitalized. The CEO is a great advocate of cutting edge technology, but it will take some time to get there.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating with your employees and keep creating opportunities for growth.

"Everything is awesome" - LEGO Movie

I have been working at Vertafore

Pros

We have a Café Ladro dedicated barista with a wide range of free coffee choices everyday...no joke! Living in Seattle this is a BIG DEAL. The projects we work on are ultra innovative in our industry and we get to adapt, learn, and create software that captivates our customers on a daily basis. I've enjoyed every challenge and accomplishment for the last 2 years being here and growing my technical abilities and advancing my career with this company.

Cons

Being innovative in software engineering requires creativity, discipline, focus, and agility...and awesome team members to work together. This always is challenging in any organization.

Software company run by Insurance people

Former Employee - Software Release Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Release Engineer

I worked at Vertafore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will find some very talented and helpful within the company itself that still have an idealistic view of the software world.

Cons

They go through upper management like someone with the flu goes through tissue. There have been many poor steps and misdirection which seemed to get pinned on the nearest scapegoat. When they let people go there does not seem to be a standard way in any of the departments nor do they worry much about exit interviews. Much of the HR staff is more keen on making sure management is happy than the employees. It is run like a mix of an Insurance Agency who just happens to be developing software. Many of the bonding or activities that are supposed to spurn team building are geared for either software development or those whose jobs provide such little value they have the time to wander around all day accomplishing nothing but smiling and shaking hands. Like many offices more politics than actual business happens many times. They have employee programs but you have to have the time woo upper management to be a part of those. If you are in the call center you will not be trained but it will throw you back to being in Kindergarten where you have to ask permission to use the restroom. If you actually work expect to make up for all the schmoozers and you will be putting in sixty to eighty hours a week if you are salary if you are hourly expect the rule to be that you will work off the clock to finish your tasks.

Advice to Management

Do actual exit interviews especially with those who have been there for years. Actually get out of the glass tower and see what is going on in the company. I know the peasants may be scary but it is who your company runs on, spending all day in front of a spreadsheet viewing your precious pivot table from various points will not explain why things are the way they are. Take a class in modern management as it applies to 2014 and not 1980, some things have inexplicably changed since your drunken escapades at your pseudo ivy league school. Do not finally decide to make the right decision because you think an employee has a way to make things more difficult or can blackmail you with something do it because it's the right thing. A few minor changes here and there does not make everything better that's like saying an abusive parent is okay if they just apologize after they beat their child.

Restructuring Vertafore for greatness

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I first arrived at Vertafore in 2013 I found a Company with numerous opportunities to improve. Proper procedures and policies were missing, many departments not operating well, not providing great service to their clients. What i have witnessed is a clear desire on the part of the new leadership team to tackle the tough challenges- to drive improvement across the Company, one step at a time. I have also noticed a very transparent communication style among the leadership- acknowledging the challenges, talking about the steps being taken to improve the Company area by area. I am energized by what I believe to be is a leadership team that knows how to drive the improvement necessary. For example- the Professional Services organization was struggling in 2013 under the weight of a large backlog, a poor department structure, a lack of accountability, etc. When i listen to how the PS organization is operating today I am amazed by the transition, by the improvements in so short a time. The department is very clearly heading in a much better direction, and it is great to see.

Cons

Vertafore could do more with regard to on board training, cross training- career paths in general. I have heard that this type of work is being undertaken at this time, which I find encouraging.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent, and continue to work to identify areas for improvement, and to work toward that improvement!

22 years here and still happy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windsor, CT

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In the Windsor office everyone has respect for each other and the same comment is heard over and over again..."we feel like a family". I believe we take pride in that statement being true.

Cons

Each office has it's own culture and it increasingly feels as if that doesn't matter to those folks at the very highest levels that run the company.

Advice to Management

We can still be one Vertafore and value each site for it's individuality.

Great company to work for- always looking to improve

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I came from a small, privately-owned, money hungry company & CEO with little value of its employees.
    Man, was it a breath of fresh air to come to Vertafore...
    Since starting (under 2 years ago) I have seen constant improvements in culture, employee value, structure, cross-functional communication, and more. The new CEO wants to get to know everyone and hear what they have to say. He'll make small talk with any employee in the elevator, no matter which position they hold. This sounds minuscule but it impacts the company immensely in theory. Monthly events and social functions keep us from a boring, cubicle, mundane work life. Flexibility allows you to have a healthy work-life balance. And perks- of course there are perks! Along with annual bonus and compensation increases depending on how the company as a whole succeeded that year.
    You can tell that people are happy around here. When times get hectic (a huge event. A big company announcement. A new venture) teams come together as good friends. As family. This company is definitely a great place to learn, build long-lasting relationships, and grow.

Cons

One of the challenges of working here is a challenge I'm sure many large companies face. As Vertafore grows, departments grow. New positions are made. New leaders are promoted. The challenge with that, is the transition of each department and their dependent cohorts. However, that is consistently mended with one of the pros I had mentioned- the improvements of cross-functional communication. Unlike other companies, Vertafore recognizes when this happens when changes occur, and is constantly working to improve it.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging employee personal growth. Keep asking employees of all levels what they want- where they see themselves in the future. Keep communication alive and open. Continue making employees feel like they are all key stakeholders in the success of the company.

Great people, Good Products, Good Benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the people here; all are great people who care about the work they do. We are shifting from Insurance company (which we never really were) to a full-fledged software company and I am happy to see it happen. The new leadership is refreshing, and we are picking up the pace of our efforts, releases, and initiatives. I am excited to see what the next 12 months brings.

Cons

Career advancement is challenging for some. There aren't clear career paths, but management is good about helping the performers find ways to keep growing. Training is lacking across the org. Some groups still struggle with accountability, but that is not uncommon for an org of this size.

Advice to Management

Address accountability issues where they remain, and keep driving the focus on customer experience. That will deliver a world class product.

Moving in a great direction

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management has good vision for where the company needs to be. Repositioning as a technology company instead of a service provider for the insurance industry is already leading to new innovations and a re-energized development team. The work environment balances fun with productivity well.

Cons

All the changes may be tougher for longer-tenured employees to deal with, but many seem to have an optimistic outlook based on recent changes.

Change is a constant at Vertafore

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Well intentioned co-workers.

Cons

Cohesive leadership non-exist. Every department has different priorities.

A bit of a roller coaster, but noticeable positive upswing over last 12-18 months....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has undergone a real change in management and management style that has the potential to be very positive for employees and customers (not just shareholders). I am optimistic the changes will be sustaining.

Cons

Change is difficult.... Still dealing with aftermath of failed change efforts in addition to more optimistic change effort.

Advice to Management

Think about planning and initiatives with longer-term horizons in mind for the impacted and key contributors..., consistently.

RSS Feed </> Embed