Vertafore Reviews

Updated October 7, 2014
3.4

Vertafore President & CEO Alex Lintner
Alex Lintner

Pros
  • Flexibility allows you to have a healthy work-life balance (in 22 reviews)

• I love the people here; all are great people who care about the work they do (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management makes commitments to user groups but then does not fulfill promises (in 14 reviews)

• Upper Management has no idea what they are doing and re-org's happen all the time (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Attitude drives this company

Former Employee - Programmer in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Programmer in Bothell, WA

I worked at Vertafore as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Few great managers, try to keep every thing all-right even taking a step ahead of management.

Cons

Bad behavior with contractors. Senior managers uses the situation for their benefit.

Be honest and reward good work.

Constant change, no vision

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people (those that are left), great location, very nice facility, free beverages and office perks. Support for emerging technologies

Cons

No strong vision for the future, lots of talk of positive change, but haven't seen positive yet - just constant reorgs

Go back to true AGILE - this is why so many of us came to work here, but it has been destroyed and the products and release cycles reflect that chaos.

Love this company!

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have to say that having a change in leadership with Alex has literally made this company one of my favorite places to work.

Cons

Simply put the past... I know some of the employees here on Glassdoor where either past employees or current employees that haven't had the opportunity to see what is going on. I have had first hand experience with working with Alex and the new direction he is taking the company and I couldn't be more excited to be working at Vertafore during this time. Have to say that things are starting to change and change in a huge way for not only the employees but our customers and products as well.

Keep pushing the new 3 year plan... having the opportunity to be part of changing this industry is really going to be great.

A Mix of old and new software and practices

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

In my former time at Vertafore prior to 2010, I enjoyed the positive team environment. This company goes way back to the 70's, and that is reflected in the products and the team, although the past fades with each year and management change. The long time staff reflect the friendly family feel of the place as it used to be. The company modernized their development process in the last few years to their credit.

Cons

Management no longer has its roots in that older family oriented company culture and doesn't even comprehend it let alone value it. The products have been re-written and modernized., but even so some developer jobs are more about maintenance than feature development, so there is a risk of getting stuck dealing with that and not learning and growing as a developer.

Be aware that long time employees are the brain trust, and newer hires (anybody with less than 5-10 years in that context) probably don't really understand many of the business reasons behind historical development decisions. I saw management discard people who should have been given 'brain trust' emeritus status instead. That's the path to a shallow understanding of the domain knowledge of insurance agency management.

A great company, depending on what group you're in, with a changing feel.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Vacation/PTO time is generous. Big plus.
    - Great location, close to 405, away from the typical tech city sprawl of Bellevue and Seattle, and nearby nature trails are beautiful and refreshing.
    - Insurance is an ample, long term business
    - Company uses a mix of newish technolgy, and is upgrading to newer tech.

Cons

- Offshoring is replacing almost everything. It's becoming depressing.
    - Significant salary raises are very difficult to attain.
    - Since the current push is to combine the company's large portfolio of products into a single, complicated product, jobs are being consolidated. In recent years, many offices have been shuttered. The HQ in Bothell is safe, but the strategy is to cut and reduce.
    - Having to deal with old standards and old products which are very inflexible. It can be tedious to deal with.

Not so much advice, as a commentary. Management is a revolving door here. Direction changes a lot, and I feel it's largely disconnected from the actual work. Many times, I've thought, "Who knows what we'll do this year." I think they would benefit trimming upper management, as there are way too many "VP" titles.

Work, work and more work

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Bothell, WA

I worked at Vertafore full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good environment and friendly people. Good office and building environment.

Cons

Piled on work then piled on more work. When people quit then they pile on more work. Instead of training me on technologies that I took over (from people quitting) they hired consultants to assist me with the technology (one I had prior experience with)

Cough up the bucks guys ! Pay people what they are worth and they might stick around.

Improving work environment and culture.

Current Employee - Conyers Employee in Conyers, GA
    Current Employee - Conyers Employee in Conyers, GA

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In the last 6 months I've seena turn around here. I had left a very negative review earlier and am happy to report that many of the reasons I had concerns about, they are fixing or have already fixed. The company is reinvesting in places that it had wilt away and employees are no longer heading for the door. We are actually adding headcount in many departments and investing in the future of groups that were worried they were on the chopping block. Morale is up and the future looks good for the comapny as a whole. The company Sales has been at 147% of goal so one of our biggest problems right now is that we can't deploy our software fast enough to keep up with sales. It is a good problem to have.

Cons

There is still quite a bit of ambiguity on how to deal with our carrier market, which are some of our largest custoemrs. The company seemed to have felt that we were already strong there so we'd just ignore them for a few year and focus our attention on the smaller shops. This left products that cater to our bigger clients with uncertain futures. The new leadership seems to recognize that "not having a strategy for carriers" isnt going to cut it and they are workign to remedy that. We just don't know what that will look like since we haven't had any updates. I am cautiously optimistic. The old leadership seemed focused on one or two elements of the company where our new leadership seems to grasp that we have clients at all levels of the industy and their money counts to our bottom line as well. They are looking at as more like a large company with multiple revenuie streams instead of a couple of profit centers and "everything else".

Deliver on your promises. I think that our new leaders have stated where they think our future is headed. Just deliver on your promises and continue to deliver on our future.

What a Great Place with Great People

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

True teamwork , knows the meaning of work life balance, continues to head the right direction, Vertafore is the company you want to be a part of.

Cons

Needs to work on name brand recognition, should be promoting from within and hiring externally for front lie roles.

Keep up the good work and continue to provide mentoring for your team.

SEIT Internship @ Vertafore

Former Employee - SEIT Intern in Conyers, GA
    Former Employee - SEIT Intern in Conyers, GA

I worked at Vertafore as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good development practices and environment, good code base and generally well run
    Teams were very vocal and had good communication, people were all friendly and willing to pull their weight

Cons

Internship program was not very well developed, but rather interns were given assignments in testing. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but not a good environment if you are not a quick learner or wish to have your hand held throughout an internship

Look somewhere else if you want autonomy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I worked at Vertafore full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy working with my colleagues and free coffee

Cons

Great team to work with on the floor but you have to fend for yourself as management is based out of Boulder, CO. It's micro-managed to the nth degree and you have no autonomy.

Management is only looking out for their best interests and not interested in growing revenue solely based on meeting targets.

Management is manipulative and demeans the sales people in front of their colleagues.

Bureaucratic processes slow down the sales cycle

If you're not political, this isn't the place for you. You make friends to get work done

The office culture NEEDS to change. Hopefully, the new CEO will bring a mountain of change to the sales culture.