Vertex Pharmaceuticals Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
3.7

Vertex Pharmaceuticals President & CEO Jeffrey Leiden, M.D., Ph.D
Jeffrey Leiden, M.D., Ph.D

Pros
  • Great benefits, competitive salary, focus on therapeutic areas with high unmet needs such as CF (in 10 reviews)

• Very unique organization with great people and a lot of opportunity for growth (with or without PhD) (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The company does actively promote that employees maintain a work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Poor senior management, especially financial - cash burn rate is outrageous (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I Love Vertex

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is a great place to work with great pay and benefits. Vertex Boston is located on the water fount of South Boston and has great views a great selection of local places to eat and visit. The buildings were just opened at the beginning of 2014 so we are currently in brand new start of the art lab space.

Cons

there are not many. One would be the commute. Driving into Boston during rush hour on 93 is the pits!

My management understands me and try as hard as it can to communicate relevant information to us reguarly. I feel well informed about the workings and financial status of the company.

A Sinking Ship . .watching it slowly drop into the water

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are the best around. The staff and lower management levels are a dream to work with.

Cons

You can be stabbed in the back at anytime by upper level and even mid level management. They have no clue about loyalty and longevity. They care about new blood and how much money they can make. The Vertex values I knew are gone.

Worst Company

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Commuter benefits
    401k
    Stock plans
    Work life balance

Cons

Base pay is less than all the competitors

It was great

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Cons

Nothing was a challenge. It was a great place to work. The best thing was the way the company was efficiently ran. The best place ever.

Working at Vertex

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule
    Compensation
    Good Swag
    Fun, helpful colleagues

Cons

Processes can be a bit confusing at times
    Working with TPOs a bit challenging since they were not always trusted to do the work. This resulted in the full time employees doing quite a bit of double work.

Vertex Pharma

Current Employee - Drug Development Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Drug Development Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Depth of pipeline in development; commitment to developing only drugs that are life-changing for patients; location; company commitment to remain innovative within the confines of GXP, despite growth or corporate size.

Cons

We work long, hard hours, but what biophama company doesn't? The company does actively promote that employees maintain a work-life balance. A more formal WFH policy would be great to have most due to such at our competitors.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Time to Clean out the Middle Managers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing benefits, vacation time and one off perks! Great coworkers and an opportunity to have an impact on life threatening diseases. Lots of learning and resume building opportunity that you don't necessarily get at other companies (how many other companies in the area have successfully brought drugs to the market in the past 5 years, let alone multiple drugs?).

Cons

Current culture is very different even from a few years ago. Middle managers (department heads especially) have adopted a "do as I say, not as I do" attitude. Bad behavior is rampant in many forms - screaming and yelling at meetings, temper tantrums in the office and gossiping with direct reports. There also seems to be a lack of opportunity for promotion for those in the lower / entry level positions.

Pay attention to what your managers are doing and follow up. Don't just assume things are running along smoothly. Its those departments that have a lack of oversight that are running wild and ruining the culture and individual department morale.

An eye-opening and wonderful learning experience for Students

Former Employee - Electro physiology in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Electro physiology in San Diego, CA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Vertex @ SD served free breakfast and held community gatherings. Held numerous promotions for CF in the surrounding community.

Cons

A great degree of bureaucracy. People mind their own business and the scientists appeared more pessimistic than usual.

Allow students to diversify their exposure to big Pharma, even if they are interning inside a particular cell culture lab in the electrophysiology department (i.e. Expose them to process and development, HTS, etc.) Diversification is important for students (especially the interns!).

Company in Transition

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are amazing in general. Start with 4wks of vacation plus company shut down between Christmas and New Years. Very intelligent and hard working employees. Disease area is very rewarding. Great experience for people starting out their careers.

Cons

Sr. Management tends to micro manage and constantly accelerate timelines beyond reason. Work/life balance and mode of operation is not sustainable. You often work nights, weekends, and during vacation. Career growth is limited. Vision seems to be very short term and focused on short term gains. A lot of indecision or changing of decisions.

Focus on balancing work load by truly assessing your resources to the work committed to. Provide a firm strategy on the path forward and have timely decisions to avoid churn and rework. Delegate more and empower teams.

The growing pains are not insignificant

Former Employee - Middle Management in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Boston, MA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Vertex is a innovative company which seeks to find the best way forward.

Cons

As the company grows, the culture is changing. The leadership seems to be unaware of it.

Pay more attention to the impact the growth of the company has on the culture.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals Photos