Vertex Pharmaceuticals Reviews

Updated August 18, 2014

3.6

Vertex Pharmaceuticals President & CEO Jeffrey Leiden, M.D., Ph.D
Jeffrey Leiden, M.D., Ph.D

Pros
  • Great benefits, competitive salary, focus on therapeutic areas with high unmet needs such as CF (in 10 reviews)

• Very unique organization with great people and a lot of opportunity for growth (with or without PhD) (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance that they offer applies only if you are in the first group (in 6 reviews)

• Poor senior management, especially financial - cash burn rate is outrageous (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic first job which grew stale due to to their direction of research

Former Employee - Research Scientist I  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Research Scientist I in San Diego, CA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Back in 2006 when I first joined the site in San Diego, Vertex was a special place. Scientists were excited about their work and one could sense the enthusiasm at project team meetings. Personally, I had a great experience my first 6 years there. The work-life balance is great, but it does depend on your group dynamics. And from what I've observed, the benefits are right up there at par with the best companies.

Cons

Vertex has experienced an immense growth phase due to the success of 2 marketed drugs. As a result, the bureaucracy has increased to a ridiculous amount. The values of the company have had to shift due to being a publicly traded company. There is nothing really exciting behind the CF drugs, so if they don't continue to work in the clinic, I smell trouble for the company.

Great science, great company.

Current Employee - Finance Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great employee benefits and an infectious work atmosphere to foster innovative research culture. A strong-willed leadership team drives this company forward.

Cons

The company is currently in a state of flux due to pending study results. While this creates a level of uncertainty, the company vision is becoming clearer due to strong leadership at the CEO position.

Much to be learned

Current Employee - Clinical Trials Associate  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Clinical Trials Associate in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, Some nice co-workers, Time off, compensation

Cons

Your experience and growth completely depends on what project you are on and the individuals involved. Clinical line management is completely unprofessional and untrained. Line management does not support employees when the facts are present if the concern comes from a higher position. Line management discloses confidential information to other employees

Take training to truly understand your position, have integrity, support your employees when the truth is present, do not exalt your favorite reports as it creates a negative environment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Pros

people are great and hard working

Cons

Politics for moving up chain

Great science & Great people.

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Very unique organization with great people and a lot of opportunity for growth (with or without PhD). There is a commitment and passion for science. It's also a very challenging, dynamic, and exciting collaborative environment. Management is open and attentive. Great benefits for full time employees.

Cons

Depending on the project, weekends, long hours, and holidays may be expected on a regular basis. Sometimes because it's a smaller company, personnel resourcing may be an issue.

transformative medicine is key

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Pros

science oriented and highly motivated, very good benefits, competitive culture, great place to work

Cons

I have a very good career here and nothing to write cons. I see the cons present everywhere and look whether I enjoy working here and I do.

Great employees, innovative and ambitious company

Former Employee - Senior Scientist
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great employees, innovative and ambitious company

Cons

No significant cons to working here

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours and competitive salary. Offers opportunity to grow and learn.

Cons

Can be stressful for temporary position

None

program management and operations

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Location of office (waterfront in Boston)

Cons

lack of future growth and direction

Pretty good place to work

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, nice workspace and coworkers.

Cons

People seem to advance based more upon "who" they know, rather than "what" they know. There is a lot of micromanaging which seems to be a waste of time. Too many meetings and not enough execution. No clear levels of communication between departments so the same work is often repeated by various groups.

Streamline your systems. Stop allowing departments to "tweak" programs for their own needs which later don't correspond to other department needs. Improve and foster open communication between departments. Promote based on work output, not popularity.

Worked for Vertex Pharmaceuticals? Contribute to the Community!