VerticalResponse

Great People; Leadership is Improving

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at VerticalResponse full-time

Pros

I left VR because I felt things had slowed to the point where no real progress could happen. Not long after, they were acquired by Deluxe, dropped two individuals who were creating most of the roadblocks and hired a replacement who has moved the team forward in some exceptional ways. I adored my co-workers and have kept in contact with them. The tone has changed for the better, and I'm very impressed.

Cons

There are still some issues with upper management, and the Deluxe acquisition - though it sounds like it's gone smooth - has not had as full an impact in expanding the business as was once hoped. That, however, is likely to change an improve with time.

I feel like you listened and took the advice of many of the people who left. Stay involved, stay connected to your employees and all should go well.

Big negative changes since acquisition

I worked at VerticalResponse full-time

Pros

The people at this company are wonderful and I made some great friends working there. My department had fairly relaxed management, and as long as you did your job well, you were good. Free snacks, fruit, beer, wine, sodas, and the occasional free lunch/dessert; matching donations and volunteer opportunities; casual atmosphere, great location, good work hours -- all perks that added to making this office a good place to work.

Cons

Upper management with what seems like very limited knowledge of the tech industry and designing/launching a product into the market. Managers in endless meetings about who knows what - little of that information or company vision trickled down to the masses.

The acquisition by Deluxe marked a HUGE change in culture, mostly for the worst. VR went from a scrappy little email marketing company carving out their niche in the industry to a heavily micromanaged and sales goal heavy product add-on for Deluxe's fledgling suite of small business online tools.

Due to the acquisition and the promises made by the CEO (who inspires little confidence), the new VR product was released at a stage that could barely have been considered a beta. The platform was massively buggy, lacking basic features and functionality, and was an embarrassment to those forced to support or sell it. And yes, they sold it. They charged customers slightly less than market rate for a product that could not meet even the most basic needs of the user. Consequently, we lost customers and thousands in future revenue that will not be coming back once those users move on to other services. The company was hurt and the VR brand was hurt because VR was told to Deluxe under what can only be false promises of a nearly finished and feature-fantastic product.

The company is losing workers left and right - the head of HR is going to exit interviews several times a month. Below market pay, low employee morale, and flagrant culture changes and cost-cutting measures by Deluxe only add to the exodus.

Management attempts to toe the company (Deluxe) line and convince employees that everything is awesome, and it comes off as disrespectful and dishonest. Inspire confidence and ownership of employee positions by being honest about the company, the product, and the frankly awful position the company is currently in. Instead of telling people that everything is fine as we watch the walls crumble around us, explain what is wrong, what is happening, and how individuals can take action in their respective roles to make it right again.

Above all: Deluxe's old-style mid-western corporate structure, culture, and values have absolutely no place in a San Francisco tech company.

The CTO called me stupid to not stay with VR

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at VerticalResponse full-time for more than a year

Pros

The actual working tech employees are great, helpful for the most part as well as the support team.

Cons

Too much upper management, too many divas, salary was not to par with the market Changes that should have been made were always rejected. Basically a lot of shadiness and there was not much room for growth/eduation.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun place to work, but need to focus on keeping the talented employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at VerticalResponse full-time for more than a year

Pros

Weekly snacks, happy hours, ping pong table and even naps. Most people are pretty friendly and nice. Good work life balance.

Cons

As of Q1/2 2014 VR is going through some pretty high turn over. Some current employees are unhappy with lower than average salaries, lack of promotions and no recognition. Since the Deluxe acquisition the employees in general are very unhappy.

Try to keep the good employees you have before they all leave.

Supportive environment and engaging culture

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at VerticalResponse full-time for more than a year

Pros

My managers are always open to discussing my career goals and supporting my growth within the company in any way they can. They have my back when it comes to advancing my career; whether it be helping me find opportunities for promotion within the company or assisting with updating my resume and recommending me for positions outside the company. I feel comfortable seeking help from other departments and asking co-workers questions about something I don't know the answer to. Over the past couple of years, my co-workers have become some of my best friends. I enjoy going to work every day because I get to spend my day with people I care about and admire.

Cons

Communication across departments needs improvement. I understand this is the case with many companies. However, I feel VR really has a chance to improve communication because we aren't that big. It's easy to get up from your desk and talk to someone in another department. I don't feel like people take advantage of this as much as they should. We use email and chat to correspond with each other throughout the day, but sometimes you need to speak to someone face to face. People don't always do this; consequently, the message is lost.

There is a lot going on with our company right now in terms of the recent acquisition. Please make sure to communicate upper management's vision for company success clearly. Everyone should have a clear understanding about how to message company goals to customers via marketing, sales and support efforts.

loved it there

I worked at VerticalResponse

Pros

great people, very friendly team

Cons

Can't really think of any

love my time there, thank you

Fun Company!

Current Employee - Customer Relations Specialist
    Current Employee - Customer Relations Specialist

I have been working at VerticalResponse full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company really values its employees and does it best to keep its employees happy

Cons

Seem as though, there may not be many opportunities for growth, need more options and openings in company to grow in career

VerticalResponse is the place to come home to.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at VerticalResponse full-time

Pros

Outstanding culture, amazing people, freedom to set your priorities, educational and career advancement opportunities. Did I mention amazing people?

Cons

Up until the recent Engineering and Product leadership changes it was hard for the company to release product updates.

Foster better interdepartmental communication - although this is getting better.

Waste of opportunities/resources

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at VerticalResponse full-time for more than a year

Pros

Still a profitable company with a 9-5 schedule. You can work (usually for a limited period of time) with some fun and smart people.

Cons

This is a marketing company with no understanding of software development or project management and no detailed product vision.

They have lost more than 2 entire dev teams in less than 3 years, for the same reasons and with the same output: no product definition and a short deadline. The dev team raises the alarm and talks to the executives that don't take action. All members of the team leave, then the CEO fires the CTO. Next team: exact same thing. This led to a company that hasn't released any major features developed in house for the past 3 years. In both cases, the Product Management has been terrible but has kept the trust of the executives. 2 teams and 2 CTOs later, the situation is the same.

If you go for an interview, find for how long the people of the team have been working for VerticalResponse/Skadeedle and if they would take their own job again, knowing what's going on in the company.

When you have more than 20 people in your engineering team leave because of the impossibility to deliver a good product based on the weak requirements of your Product team, you should maybe realize that the problem remains even after everyone is gone.

VR has treated me well

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at VerticalResponse full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun, interesting people. A good work environment.

Cons

I've seen some people have bad experiences.

Worked for VerticalResponse? Contribute to the Community!