VerticalResponse

Lee Schram
1 Rating

Great Place to Work

I worked at VerticalResponse full-time

Pros

* People. This is probably unanimous for everyone who worked at VR. It's got a great group of people who you would find yourself wanting to spend time with regardless of if you worked together or not.
    * Potential. I spent a nice chunk of time at VR and was promoted. My work was recognized and valued. The company is still small enough where you feel your impact.
    * Conscientiousness. There is a true conscientiousness and caring for the SMB customer and the community.
    * Work/life balance. The company does a nice job of accommodating its employees in times of need. Also, I think outside of huge engineering releases, most people work a pretty steady 40 hour week, give or take a few hours.

Cons

* Agreement. For some time there was a lot of back and forth about product direction, which caused some frustration and strife. I think this was taken care of after I left.

Started out great...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at VerticalResponse full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great People. This has already been said.
    -For the first two years of my employment this was the best company I had ever worked for.

Cons

- Most of the good of this company has been sucked dry since the Deluxe acquisition.
    - Selfish leadership that is not transparent.
    - Really bad compensation. I got a 60% raise moving to a job a level down from what I was doing. That alone should tell you something.

Get your heads together and look at the people that have the domain knowledge that can actually make this successful. You have lost and/or forced out the majority of the people with this, so hold on tight to the ones you have left.

The best day I ever had at this company was the day I gave my notice.

I worked at VerticalResponse full-time

Pros

- Your coworkers will be good people. VR has a knack for finding the type of people you enjoy working with, and it's easy to build friendships with your coworkers. This is also a bit of a con, though (in more than one meaning of the word "con").

Cons

- Upper management is not trustworthy. Ultimately I waited a long time to write this, because I wanted to just move on, and leave this place behind. But upon seeing the high rating that VR has managed to get here, I felt that people seeking jobs deserved a warning of what they're getting into, particularly because many of the reviews here are untrue. A while back Glassdoor was a problem for VR, and the rating here was pretty low. How did they respond? Did they actually make things better? Nope. The company has actively been telling employees, for a long time, to come write positive reviews so that they could get new hires in. Let me say that again: Upper management directed employees to stuff the ballot box with good reviews of VR. Never in writing, mind you. What does that tell you?

- Your coworkers will be good people. This makes it very hard to see them continuously mistreated, maligned, ignored, and ultimately made to feel as if they have less potential than they actually do.

- Upper management seems to have very little idea what they are doing, or, in some cases, don't seem to care, as if with the recent acquisition they are just counting down to the end of retention bonuses or something.

- OFFICE POLITICS. The atmosphere of this company is so toxic it should be quarantined. There is a continuous effort at covering the behinds of upper management and hiding their mistakes that it can even get to the point where an employee is punished for taking initiative and solving a problem affecting customers and revenue, if solving that problem makes the missteps of management visible. This is a problem that comes all the way from the top, as the executive management of the company looks to shift blame for issues downward, it puts middle management in the kind of position where backstabbing and assigning blame to their employees is inevitable. There are also a few people in positions of authority that seem to actually enjoy this sort of politicking, to the point of marginalizing and sabotaging people they see as either some sort of threat or just don't like.

- Morale. Oh man, morale. Former employees talk about time at VR the way people talk about time in jail, and when we see our friends who are still there, and hear about the things that are happening, all we can do is feel bad and try to work our own connections to get them out of there. The turnover rate was already bad when I left, and from what I hear has only gotten worse.

- Deluxe. A hundred-year-old check printing company bought themselves a software company, and have no real idea, from all appearances, of what to do with it. They said they'd leave the culture alone; they didn't. One of their upper management actually came to VR and told people in a meeting, flat-out, that people working in San Francisco weren't worth their asking price, and that they could get cheaper employees elsewhere (see "morale" above). It's pretty obvious that this is the ultimate plan, as they haven't replaced any of the Customer Service side people who've left, and that team is down to a skeleton crew. My guess is that they're planning to move it somewhere cheaper in the hands of people who don't know the software well, which is sad because the CS team was one of the selling points to the customers.

- Low pay. Very few employees seem to be making market rate, and if ever they talk about promoting from within, this is the real reason. It has little to do with developing employees, but instead filling seats while paying less than they could possibly bring in new talent for. The worst part of that is, you might not even know, working there, how badly you're being underpaid. I was shocked at the increase I was able to get when I left, until I spoke to others in the tech industry and discovered how much lower my salary was than it should have been. I'd heard from others who left that they did research on this sort of thing prior to leaving, and they said the same thing. Also, when you bring that up when you leave, they argue with you about it rather than taking it as honest feedback. Which brings me to my final point:

- The company seems to be more interested in maintaining a false image than facing reality and changing. This is personified in the way the company handles people leaving. They do their best to keep employees' exit a secret until the last minute, to the point where you might find out a colleague is leaving literally the day before it happens. For those who you did know, it usually was presented like this: "Hey, I just gave two weeks, but don't tell anyone, nobody is supposed to know." That says a lot, in my opinion. My experience in my exit interview was also pretty telling, I think. I was asked why I was leaving, and I told them, and rather than listening and taking note, they basically wanted to argue every point. Why? They weren't going to change my mind, so why waste the opportunity to get actual, unfiltered feedback from someone who doesn't have to hold anything back anymore? I've asked around, this experience is pretty consistent if you criticize things on your way out.

Honestly? I don't know what to tell you. I also don't think you'd listen. Your employees are overworked, unappreciated, underpaid, and leaving in droves. When you bring new people in it's with a false picture of what the company is actually like and where it is going. Some of you are so smug and rude it leads me to believe you could care less, ultimately.

Great People; Leadership is Improving

I worked at VerticalResponse full-time

Pros

I left VR because I felt things had slowed to the point where no real progress could happen. Not long after, they were acquired by Deluxe, dropped two individuals who were creating most of the roadblocks and hired a replacement who has moved the team forward in some exceptional ways. I adored my co-workers and have kept in contact with them. The tone has changed for the better, and I'm very impressed.

Cons

There are still some issues with upper management, and the Deluxe acquisition - though it sounds like it's gone smooth - has not had as full an impact in expanding the business as was once hoped. That, however, is likely to change an improve with time.

I feel like you listened and took the advice of many of the people who left. Stay involved, stay connected to your employees and all should go well.

Big negative changes since acquisition

I worked at VerticalResponse full-time

Pros

The people at this company are wonderful and I made some great friends working there. My department had fairly relaxed management, and as long as you did your job well, you were good. Free snacks, fruit, beer, wine, sodas, and the occasional free lunch/dessert; matching donations and volunteer opportunities; casual atmosphere, great location, good work hours -- all perks that added to making this office a good place to work.

Cons

Upper management with what seems like very limited knowledge of the tech industry and designing/launching a product into the market. Managers in endless meetings about who knows what - little of that information or company vision trickled down to the masses.

The acquisition by Deluxe marked a HUGE change in culture, mostly for the worst. VR went from a scrappy little email marketing company carving out their niche in the industry to a heavily micromanaged and sales goal heavy product add-on for Deluxe's fledgling suite of small business online tools.

Due to the acquisition and the promises made by the CEO (who inspires little confidence), the new VR product was released at a stage that could barely have been considered a beta. The platform was massively buggy, lacking basic features and functionality, and was an embarrassment to those forced to support or sell it. And yes, they sold it. They charged customers slightly less than market rate for a product that could not meet even the most basic needs of the user. Consequently, we lost customers and thousands in future revenue that will not be coming back once those users move on to other services. The company was hurt and the VR brand was hurt because VR was told to Deluxe under what can only be false promises of a nearly finished and feature-fantastic product.

The company is losing workers left and right - the head of HR is going to exit interviews several times a month. Below market pay, low employee morale, and flagrant culture changes and cost-cutting measures by Deluxe only add to the exodus.

Management attempts to toe the company (Deluxe) line and convince employees that everything is awesome, and it comes off as disrespectful and dishonest. Inspire confidence and ownership of employee positions by being honest about the company, the product, and the frankly awful position the company is currently in. Instead of telling people that everything is fine as we watch the walls crumble around us, explain what is wrong, what is happening, and how individuals can take action in their respective roles to make it right again.

Above all: Deluxe's old-style mid-western corporate structure, culture, and values have absolutely no place in a San Francisco tech company.

The CTO called me stupid to not stay with VR

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at VerticalResponse full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The actual working tech employees are great, helpful for the most part as well as the support team.

Cons

Too much upper management, too many divas, salary was not to par with the market Changes that should have been made were always rejected. Basically a lot of shadiness and there was not much room for growth/eduation.

Fun place to work, but need to focus on keeping the talented employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at VerticalResponse full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Weekly snacks, happy hours, ping pong table and even naps. Most people are pretty friendly and nice. Good work life balance.

Cons

As of Q1/2 2014 VR is going through some pretty high turn over. Some current employees are unhappy with lower than average salaries, lack of promotions and no recognition. Since the Deluxe acquisition the employees in general are very unhappy.

Try to keep the good employees you have before they all leave.

Supportive environment and engaging culture

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at VerticalResponse full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My managers are always open to discussing my career goals and supporting my growth within the company in any way they can. They have my back when it comes to advancing my career; whether it be helping me find opportunities for promotion within the company or assisting with updating my resume and recommending me for positions outside the company. I feel comfortable seeking help from other departments and asking co-workers questions about something I don't know the answer to. Over the past couple of years, my co-workers have become some of my best friends. I enjoy going to work every day because I get to spend my day with people I care about and admire.

Cons

Communication across departments needs improvement. I understand this is the case with many companies. However, I feel VR really has a chance to improve communication because we aren't that big. It's easy to get up from your desk and talk to someone in another department. I don't feel like people take advantage of this as much as they should. We use email and chat to correspond with each other throughout the day, but sometimes you need to speak to someone face to face. People don't always do this; consequently, the message is lost.

There is a lot going on with our company right now in terms of the recent acquisition. Please make sure to communicate upper management's vision for company success clearly. Everyone should have a clear understanding about how to message company goals to customers via marketing, sales and support efforts.

loved it there

I worked at VerticalResponse

Pros

great people, very friendly team

Cons

Can't really think of any

love my time there, thank you

Fun Company!

Current Employee - Customer Relations Specialist
    Current Employee - Customer Relations Specialist

I have been working at VerticalResponse full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company really values its employees and does it best to keep its employees happy

Cons

Seem as though, there may not be many opportunities for growth, need more options and openings in company to grow in career