Vertis Communications

Updated December 13, 2014
Updated December 13, 2014
2.1

Gerald Sokol Jr.

Pros
  • I got a decent pay in today's economy but I don't know how long it will last (in 4 reviews)

• Great co-workers but many are leaving (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management didn't really care about their employees (in 10 reviews)

• The senior management did not have a clear picture of what they want to achieve (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Up and down

Current Employee - Finance in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Finance in New York, NY

I have been working at Vertis Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People are great to work with

Cons

lack of benefits and retirement plan

owned by investors who know nothing about printing

Current Employee - Pressman in West Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Pressman in West Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Vertis Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

plenty of OT. very safety focused. can move up quick if motivated. Most employees long term. Soon to be Quad.

Cons

always doin more with less. Supervisors play games. No accountability. Same people making mistakes and no blame, team error. micro management.

Quad is coming for your job, bye, bye

Became way to top heavy Bring on Quad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shakopee, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shakopee, MN

I have been working at Vertis Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

workers on the floor are great to work with

Cons

if your not part of the F program ( friends family favorites ) even though you bust your ass for them don't expect to be treated with any respect , vertis keeps going bankrupt for a reason alot people running the company that have no idea of what it takes to keep a company running keep pouring money into areas that you keep losing money and put nothing into what is making you money but they must be right because they went to school for it oh wait they were way off the mark and it shows , are plant has been profitable sense ive been there but they keep pouring money elsewhere that keeps bringing us down

start treating all your employees at least 1/2 as good as you do to the ones in your click , you let alot of hard working people go over the years just so you have more room for people up top that dont have a clue about printing

Bled the employees out over the course of 5+ years.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chalfont, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chalfont, PA

I have been working at Vertis Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Plenty of overtime available in my facility.
    -Lots of positions available within the company.
    -Relatively easy to get promoted.

Cons

-Terrible management/upper management.
    -Froze all raises for 5+ years after a 6% pay cut leaving us years behind.
    -No sick days
    -If you haven't worked there for 20+ years, don't expect to make more than $17-$18/hour if you are an hourly employee

Get out on the floor and learn about what is really going on.

Was a great idea with very poor execution. Now it's all over..

Former Employee - Vice President in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Vice President in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Vertis Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Offerings were some of the best in the industry. Dedicated staff in the plants and out in the field. Sales staff that truly cared about their customers.

Cons

Company couldn't get out of its own way. Little to no latitude from investors (PE firms) to invest in integrating the company in order to offer a solid solution to the client. Many CEO changes due to frequent change in equity investors resulting in constant change in direction each time momentum started to build in the right direction. Too much infighting in the executive wing at the corporate office with a CEO who is incapable of making a decision. Remaining top level executives are there due to politicking and back stabbing others. Those who cared about the organization and the employees left or were forced out. Company fails to meet commitments to those that dedicated their lives to the job for many years often working 24/7 spending time away from their families.

The only advice to the executive team is to pray that karma doesn't come around. Terminating employees the week before filing bankruptcy knowing you'd be filing a motion to exclude pre-petition severance, filing those motions and not providing any notice to those expecting a check, affecting retiree pensions due to your greed and careless spending, and then subsequently playing the victim of the courts to your employees allowing them to believe this was out of your control will certainly come to haunt you in some way.

Advice to Quad: Start over with leadership for the most part. You do not need the Vertis executive team to integrate the companies except in the case of technology. They are not respected and will do more harm than good. There is only one member left of the executive team I'd ever work for or hire and not surprisingly he's not in the corporate office in Baltimore. If you need good people to help integrate, look to those that have left over the recent years. Those are the ones that cared and just couldn't take it any longer.

No wonder they are being bought out

Current Employee - Mechanic in York, PA
    Current Employee - Mechanic in York, PA

I have been working at Vertis Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Seriously can't think of any. They were given about 7 years to prove themselves to the York Pa DM plant and they showed us nothing.

Cons

Management. Poor treatment of employees. Needless spending on things not needed(a tv for a break room that is only on the CNN channel? Really?) Taking of pay and benefits from the employees due to their poor management of the company(not because of the economy like they tell you) Do not let employees excel or move on to better themselves. The list just goes on and on....

York, Pa. DM management, say good bye to your job (you know who I'm talking about) Quad Graphics will not put up with you. Your done.

The Exton plant was a fantastic place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

I worked at Vertis Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Exton, Pa plant was a fantastic place to work, we worked like a team/family and had many long-term employees

Cons

Our Corporate office ended up closing the plant due to losing our biggest customer, which, in our negotiations with this customer, our "corporate negotiators" really left a bad taste in the mouths of our long-term customer. Being owned by investors it seemed it was only a matter of time before we were sold or closed.

Very Challeneged

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Vertis Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong core of long-term employees willing to do what it takes to move the company forward.

Cons

Poor senior management not focused on the long-term vision of the business.

Run, don't walk!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Vertis Communications

Pros

The pay was very good...well compensated for my position. Fellow colleagues were friendly, worked hard, and knew their jobs well.

Cons

Turnover is high because people get burned out. Vertis isn't just fast paced, it's frenetic. Everything is crazy, up and down, all over the place. Senior management changes quickly as well. I've worked in a professional environment for 15 years and never experienced such an unhealthy work setting.

Slow down and make smart, well-informed decisions instead of acting for the sake of it. Understand that your employees have a life outside of work.

Don't Quit Your Job to Come Work Here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Vertis Communications

Pros

It's a job. It pays some of the bills. I enjoy working with the people in my department. Benefits are mediocre for a large company.

Cons

Let's see, I've been here for over 5 years and have nothing to show for it. My pay is embarassing considering I have a degree. No raises in 4 years (after a paycut during the first year) and they advertise a 401k plan, but there is no company match and it will never come back according to a recent company-wide meeting. Don't be duped into thinking that Vertis has all the typical perks that other companies have! Senior management said raises are back, but I have yet to hear anyone get anything. We're losing accounts left and right because you have incompetent people handling the accounts, passing bad information all the way down to the operators. Employee morale is at an all time low. Every month, a member of senior management is gone "to pursue other endeavors", which means quit voluntarily or I'll fire you. It's a revolving door.

Let's see what this new round of senior leaders will do to take Vertis back to black. There's a lot of waste going on, they just need to acknowledge it.

Vertis Communications Photos