Vertive

Updated December 23, 2014
3.2

Vertive Founder & CEO Steve Schaffer
Steve Schaffer

Great Team and great work environment

I have been working at Vertive

Pros

- Everyone in the team is very friendly, smart and hard-working. It's enjoyable to work hard with them.
    - Great upper management. They give great advice and are always open for new ideas and discussion. CEO is very nice and has great vision for the company.
    - Very systematic and organized company culture.
    - Good weekly catered lunch and lots of fun activities.

Cons

- It can get very busy during the holiday and work/life balance can be challenging.

I admire the company core values and hope we continued to bear that in mind to keep the business growing.

Love my job

Current Employee - Online Marketing in Austin, TX

I have been working at Vertive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- We are in dynamic and interesting industry that gives us many opportunities to grow
    - I work with a great, dedicated team of really smart people. Our team hangs out outside of work fairly often (happy hours, movies, etc), and is amongst the most dedicated and fun people I have had the pleasure of working with
    - The company has made great strides in improving the experience of our website for consumers, and the pride in that really shows throughout the company
    - More than ever, we have the right right people working here. Cross-team communication, interaction and collaboration are at an all time high
    - Voiced concerns about the office, kitchen staples, company benefits, etc are addressed quickly in most cases

Cons

- Work/life balance can be a challenge for some teams at times given all of the opportunities for us to impact the business, especially around the shopping holidays
    - Office location is not the most convenient for easy access to lunch (which is offset by our frequent catered lunches, breakfast tacos, etc)

Overall, my experience here is very positive and has been improving. Quite frankly, the most I have enjoyed working anywhere to date. My advice would be to keep doing what you are doing, especially helping to find ways for us all to continue to grow and progress, as well as expand our products in creative ways.

Turn around and walk away -- don't make eye contact, hopefully they won't notice you

I worked at Vertive full-time

Pros

Catered lunch on Wednesdays
    Free snacks & drinks
    Employees are very talented and skilled, if misused and mismanaged

I'm convinced the only reason that Vertive is still around and doing marginally better is because the people they hire are very skilled and very talented. Despite the willful mismanagement by the "management" team and the CEO, these people have integrity and are willing to work hard. You just hope they eventually move on to something better.

Cons

Management are micromanagers; there's no trust from higher up
    Middle-managers are even worse, of which there are a lot of
    No direction, no vision, no company culture, worthless values
    Wait, there is a culture: one of working yourself to death

The CEO is a micromanager, which trickles down to the lowest levels. Despite the abundance of intelligent people working at the employee level, management is so inept and untrustworthy and cowardly that they resort to micromanagement as a way to watch out for their own culpability and make sure they cover their own backs. It's a culture of negativity and mistrust to the point that anyone who thinks differently is not considered a "team player," despite the supposed wanting of new ideas. Essentially, management and the CEO are a bunch of me-too hypocrites; they expect your life to be the company, but then try and justify it by saying "Hey! You get free snacks and catered food, this means you must work 60+ hours a week!" Salary is just another word for indentured servitude, according to Vertive. The company business itself also feels shady, as performance marketing is mostly a grey area.

Fire the CEO, fire the management, reboot it. Or, you know, just walk away.

A great place to work!

Current Employee - Non-management Personnel in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Non-management Personnel in Austin, TX

I have been working at Vertive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with the Vertive for over three years and I love my job and the people I work with. I couldn’t imagine working anywhere else. A few of the reasons why I feel this way are:

Our corporate culture promotes professional growth and development, teamwork and collaboration and sharing of new ideas. We have a great leadership team, they lead by example, they are constantly seeking ways to improve our company and website and, in the process, challenge each of us to turn our ideas into realities, which are implemented within the company or on our website. They recognize that we are a talented, highly skilled group of people and they want us to continue to grow and reach for new goals. We are even given the opportunity to take continuing education courses that pertain to our job at the company’s expense.

Communication throughout the organization is great; it was one of the first things I noticed when I joined the company. We have a weekly company meeting to keep the entire office abreast of what is going on within the company. We have monthly and quarterly company meetings, as well. Many organizations only take the time to talk to their employees once a quarter, if then.

I think our CEO is a very smart, hard working man who is often misunderstood as being unapproachable. The truth is, he spends much of his day (and evening) in meetings and on phone calls, leaving little time for casual social interaction. He is trying to find ways to grow the company, which will benefit us all in the long term. I’d much rather he do that than chat with me over a cup of coffee each day! He does make it clear to all of us that his door is always open if we need to speak with him and he makes time for us if we ask for his help.

Our benefits are outstanding. Our company cares about us and shows us in so many ways – but this is the most telling of all. I have worked for several large public and private organizations throughout my career and I would compare our benefits to any of theirs and we would come out ahead every time. We have a very competitive 401k match, a superior healthcare program, paid vacation and holidays and we even have separate paid sick days (the leaders actually encourage you to stay home if you are sick so that you can rest and recuperate quickly).

In my opinion, Vertive is a great place to work and I can’t wait to see where the future will take us!

Cons

The few disgruntled, negative employees that every organization seems to have. My thought is, if you are generally unhappy, try to talk it out and find a solution or just go somewhere else.

Keep doing what you are doing and help us all to grow an additional 20% this year!

Where fun goes to die

I have been working at Vertive

Pros

Stocked kitchen
    Catered lunch on Wednesday
    Free covered parking
    Nice view of Texas hill country

Cons

1. The management team is the worst I've ever worked with. They don't care one bit about the employees.
    2. The culture is so negative, you can feel it when you walk in the door every day. There is no trust between management and the employees, so you are totally micromanaged to the point that you feel like you're suffocating.
    3. Bonuses are based on core values, which make no sense. (Core value number 1: "Start with a goal." WTF??) We used to have a core value that was: "Be truthful and honest in all we do" but that one was eliminated. Hmmm, wonder why.
    4. There is no fun happening in this place. When they attempt to have a "fun" company sponsored event, it's awkward. Management doesn't have the social skills to genuinely and sincerely interact with the employees.

No point in giving any advice. They don't listen. When you give feedback to the CEO, he just gets defensive and makes excuses.

A Stunted Start-Up

I worked at Vertive full-time

Pros

-Catered lunch every Wednesday
    -Kitchen with snacks and drinks
    -Office has great hill country views
    -Semi-annual company outings
    -Occasional in-office events/Happy Hours
    -Exposure to the affiliate marketing space

Cons

-Salary increases are mediocre. Ask anyone in that office who has ever received one. I understand that as a small company you cannot pay your employees thousands more but some of these percentage increases are insulting.
    -No opportunity for continued education/learning to stay on top of industry trends or to prepare you for a job outside of the company. If you want to keep top talent you must continue educating them otherwise your company remains stagnant. I believe the one attempt that was made was a do-it-on-your-own-time, online video training which took 5 hours to complete each course. You'll quickly realize that no one would voluntarily dedicate evenings or weekends to this place (even for learning purposes) without minimal compensation.
    -No one wants to interact with the CEO so striking up the simplest conversation is awkward. He's also notorious for making excuses. His brother, a VP at the company, is a self-proclaimed "thought leader."
    -Culture. Part of the problem stems from these core values: "make decisions based on data," "be darn clever" (who says that?) and "actively communicate." These are not core values. Try something like "build honest relationships" or "be open-minded and creative" - the current values come across as what employees should do to appease management not what is best for the company or the people. Obviously I'm going to make a decision based on data, I'm not sitting at my desk flipping a coin! Some groups actually enjoy one another's company outside of the office so you'll see big groups go to lunch or head to happy hour and others would rather run for the hills once the day is over. Should you accept an offer at the company, get in there and figure out who likes to go for drinks or dinner once in a while because some people in that office are really great people once you get to know them outside of their roles.
    -The recruiter (whoever that is nowadays, they've been through a few in the past) has to defend these terrible online reviews in front of potential candidates! There's no way the individual in that role can uphold the core value of honesty when trying to recruit top talent.
    -Don't bother suggesting all your great ideas because there's either a manager who gets defensive because it wasn't his idea or you might just forget your great ideas because someone is telling you "do this!" all the time rather than "what are your thoughts on this?"
    -Office location could be better. Ask a current employee about their commute back and forth to work. Luckily, when you do arrive at your desk, there are great big windows to see the hill country...and the traffic. Everyone complains about it but 360 traffic just doesn't move some days even more so than MO-Pac and I-35.
    -You'll quickly realize that no one in Austin has heard of the site. But they all know RetailMeNot! There's zero presence in the community aside from recruiting events.
    -If you take a "sick day" people suspect you're out interviewing. Sometimes you're just out sick!
    -Employees get disgruntled after about 8 months so people become passive aggressive and try to throw colleagues under the bus. In other instances, it is common for someone to CC: every manager in an email to try and make you feel as though your minor mistake is the end of the world.

Management has had enough exit interviews to know what they need to change/implement.

Stagnant culture, little opportunity for mobility, not female friendly.

Former Employee - Content Management in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Content Management in Austin, TX

I worked at Vertive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good learning opportunity-- learn what not to do. Get performance marketing experience and learn more about the affiliate marketing business.

Cons

Upper management is robotic and close-minded. The Schaffer brothers are totalitarian. Not a lot of growth opportunities for female professionals because of the good-old-boy business mentality.

Take a closer look at your employees and create genuine and empathetic relationships with them. They are the pillars of your business.

Think twice before you commit to work here

I worked at Vertive full-time

Pros

- OK place to start your career right out of college
    - Salary can be negotiated to a competitive level if you have multiple offers.
    - 3 weeks PTO, 5 sick days and 1 B-Day off
    - Basic snacks in the kitchen
    - Schedule is flexible depending on departments
    - 401K match

Cons

- Very conservative management
    - Tendency to micromanage. It got better due to people leaving the company because of that, but you can still see it; this habit obviously dies hard.
    - Strange culture which is hard to even describe
    - Some managers will publicly downplay your contribution to save their faces
    - No forward thinking

No advice can help here

Lack of Integrity, High Turnover and other RED FLAGS

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Vertive full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Most of the associate-level employees are personable and pleasant
    -3 weeks PTO, basic holidays, your birthday is a “holiday”
    -Usually flexible about personal errands Ex: dentist appt, sick child, plumber at the house, etc.
    -generous 401k match, competitive benefits & compensation
    - annual bonus (dont expect to get what is in your offer letter, that is a potential max. amount only)
    - snack stocked kitchen & Wednesday free lunch (though the free lunch quality has gone downhill in the last 6 months)
    -minimum overtime required (though it will negatively affect your bonus evaluation if you dont stay late voluntarily)
    -Company outings (improved in last 6 months)

Cons

-no learning or growth opportunities - expect to do this on your own time and dime
    -frequent and unnecessary fire drills in EVERY department, recurring theme & constant frustration for those who want to imp
    - no options for career growth internally (expect to leave the company if you want to move forward in your career)
    -as others have said – FALSE PROMISES – do not believe a word they say, it is to soothe your mind but nothing will come of it
    -Black Friday & thus Thanksgiving are not really holidays – most work during this time due to seasonal nature of the retail industry
    -management loves to micromanage, but claim they do not – very hypocritical in general
    -Some management (CEO included) are intimidating and confrontational making them unapproachable and in general unpleasant to be around
    -Taking initiative, being proactive, & creative problem solving is not rewarded here
    -Unprofessional, negative work environment

Don’t make promises you don’t intend to keep. Treat your employees with respect. Top-down management is most effective so set an example with your own behavior for employees to follow suit.

Truth be told though - this is a “waste of breath” as management will acknowledge your ideas, but never take them seriously which leads to employee disengagement and apathy. Offers.com won't go out of business anytime soon but it will never be a front-runner in the coupons/deals space.

Great potential - with an uphill battle ahead

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Vertive full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at Vertive is fine for a job right out of college when your expectations are low. They are taking steps in the right direction; however, not at a fast enough pace.

- talented, hard-working, and creative employees
    - 15 days of paid vacation, you get your birthday off, flexible hours to schedule doctor's appointments, personal errands, etc.
    - 401K match program
    - competitive benefits
    - annual bonus
    - free snacks and weekly lunches
    - various team outings (happy hours, catered ice cream, games, etc.)
    - My boss allowed me to have creative control and try new things which I appreciated - this mentality is not true for each department

Cons

- work long and chaotic holiday hours because of the retail space
    - flat or slow-moving career growth - you have to ask for what you want
    - empty promises
    - fearful of innovation and trusting employees expertise
    - lack of non traditional marketing

Trust your employees and act on your promises. Don't make someone ask for what they already deserve. This will lower your turnover rate and keep valued employees from searching for other opportunities.