Vertive

Updated May 16, 2014

Vertive Founder & CEO Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

A great place to work!

Non-management Personnel (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsI have been with the Vertive for over three years and I love my job and the people I work with. I couldn’t imagine working anywhere else. A few of the reasons why I feel this way are:

Our corporate culture promotes professional growth and development, teamwork and collaboration and sharing of new ideas. We have a great leadership team, they lead by example, they are constantly seeking ways to improve our company and website and, in the process, challenge each of us to turn our ideas into realities, which are implemented within the company or on our website. They recognize that we are a talented, highly skilled group of people and they want us to continue to grow and reach for new goals. We are even given the opportunity to take continuing education courses that pertain to our job at the company’s expense.

Communication throughout the organization is great; it was one of the first things I noticed when I joined the company. We have a weekly company meeting to keep the entire office abreast of what is going on within the company. We have monthly and quarterly company meetings, as well. Many organizations only take the time to talk to their employees once a quarter, if then.

I think our CEO is a very smart, hard working man who is often misunderstood as being unapproachable. The truth is, he spends much of his day (and evening) in meetings and on phone calls, leaving little time for casual social interaction. He is trying to find ways to grow the company, which will benefit us all in the long term. I’d much rather he do that than chat with me over a cup of coffee each day! He does make it clear to all of us that his door is always open if we need to speak with him and he makes time for us if we ask for his help.

Our benefits are outstanding. Our company cares about us and shows us in so many ways – but this is the most telling of all. I have worked for several large public and private organizations throughout my career and I would compare our benefits to any of theirs and we would come out ahead every time. We have a very competitive 401k match, a superior healthcare program, paid vacation and holidays and we even have separate paid sick days (the leaders actually encourage you to stay home if you are sick so that you can rest and recuperate quickly).

In my opinion, Vertive is a great place to work and I can’t wait to see where the future will take us!

ConsThe few disgruntled, negative employees that every organization seems to have. My thought is, if you are generally unhappy, try to talk it out and find a solution or just go somewhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing and help us all to grow an additional 20% this year!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Where fun goes to die

(Current Employee)

ProsStocked kitchen
    Catered lunch on Wednesday
    Free covered parking
    Nice view of Texas hill country

Cons1. The management team is the worst I've ever worked with. They don't care one bit about the employees.
    2. The culture is so negative, you can feel it when you walk in the door every day. There is no trust between management and the employees, so you are totally micromanaged to the point that you feel like you're suffocating.
    3. Bonuses are based on core values, which make no sense. (Core value number 1: "Start with a goal." WTF??) We used to have a core value that was: "Be truthful and honest in all we do" but that one was eliminated. Hmmm, wonder why.
    4. There is no fun happening in this place. When they attempt to have a "fun" company sponsored event, it's awkward. Management doesn't have the social skills to genuinely and sincerely interact with the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo point in giving any advice. They don't listen. When you give feedback to the CEO, he just gets defensive and makes excuses.

A Stunted Start-Up

(Former Employee)

Pros-Catered lunch every Wednesday
    -Kitchen with snacks and drinks
    -Office has great hill country views
    -Semi-annual company outings
    -Occasional in-office events/Happy Hours
    -Exposure to the affiliate marketing space

Cons-Salary increases are mediocre. Ask anyone in that office who has ever received one. I understand that as a small company you cannot pay your employees thousands more but some of these percentage increases are insulting.
    -No opportunity for continued education/learning to stay on top of industry trends or to prepare you for a job outside of the company. If you want to keep top talent you must continue educating them otherwise your company remains stagnant. I believe the one attempt that was made was a do-it-on-your-own-time, online video training which took 5 hours to complete each course. You'll quickly realize that no one would voluntarily dedicate evenings or weekends to this place (even for learning purposes) without minimal compensation.
    -No one wants to interact with the CEO so striking up the simplest conversation is awkward. He's also notorious for making excuses. His brother, a VP at the company, is a self-proclaimed "thought leader."
    -Culture. Part of the problem stems from these core values: "make decisions based on data," "be darn clever" (who says that?) and "actively communicate." These are not core values. Try something like "build honest relationships" or "be open-minded and creative" - the current values come across as what employees should do to appease management not what is best for the company or the people. Obviously I'm going to make a decision based on data, I'm not sitting at my desk flipping a coin! Some groups actually enjoy one another's company outside of the office so you'll see big groups go to lunch or head to happy hour and others would rather run for the hills once the day is over. Should you accept an offer at the company, get in there and figure out who likes to go for drinks or dinner once in a while because some people in that office are really great people once you get to know them outside of their roles.
    -The recruiter (whoever that is nowadays, they've been through a few in the past) has to defend these terrible online reviews in front of potential candidates! There's no way the individual in that role can uphold the core value of honesty when trying to recruit top talent.
    -Don't bother suggesting all your great ideas because there's either a manager who gets defensive because it wasn't his idea or you might just forget your great ideas because someone is telling you "do this!" all the time rather than "what are your thoughts on this?"
    -Office location could be better. Ask a current employee about their commute back and forth to work. Luckily, when you do arrive at your desk, there are great big windows to see the hill country...and the traffic. Everyone complains about it but 360 traffic just doesn't move some days even more so than MO-Pac and I-35.
    -You'll quickly realize that no one in Austin has heard of the site. But they all know RetailMeNot! There's zero presence in the community aside from recruiting events.
    -If you take a "sick day" people suspect you're out interviewing. Sometimes you're just out sick!
    -Employees get disgruntled after about 8 months so people become passive aggressive and try to throw colleagues under the bus. In other instances, it is common for someone to CC: every manager in an email to try and make you feel as though your minor mistake is the end of the world.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has had enough exit interviews to know what they need to change/implement.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stagnant culture, little opportunity for mobility, not female friendly.

Content Management (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsGood learning opportunity-- learn what not to do. Get performance marketing experience and learn more about the affiliate marketing business.

ConsUpper management is robotic and close-minded. The Schaffer brothers are totalitarian. Not a lot of growth opportunities for female professionals because of the good-old-boy business mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look at your employees and create genuine and empathetic relationships with them. They are the pillars of your business.

Think twice before you commit to work here

(Former Employee)

Pros- OK place to start your career right out of college
    - Salary can be negotiated to a competitive level if you have multiple offers.
    - 3 weeks PTO, 5 sick days and 1 B-Day off
    - Basic snacks in the kitchen
    - Schedule is flexible depending on departments
    - 401K match

Cons- Very conservative management
    - Tendency to micromanage. It got better due to people leaving the company because of that, but you can still see it; this habit obviously dies hard.
    - Strange culture which is hard to even describe
    - Some managers will publicly downplay your contribution to save their faces
    - No forward thinking

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice can help here

Lack of Integrity, High Turnover and other RED FLAGS

Austin, TX

Pros-Most of the associate-level employees are personable and pleasant
    -3 weeks PTO, basic holidays, your birthday is a “holiday”
    -Usually flexible about personal errands Ex: dentist appt, sick child, plumber at the house, etc.
    -generous 401k match, competitive benefits & compensation
    - annual bonus (dont expect to get what is in your offer letter, that is a potential max. amount only)
    - snack stocked kitchen & Wednesday free lunch (though the free lunch quality has gone downhill in the last 6 months)
    -minimum overtime required (though it will negatively affect your bonus evaluation if you dont stay late voluntarily)
    -Company outings (improved in last 6 months)

Cons-no learning or growth opportunities - expect to do this on your own time and dime
    -frequent and unnecessary fire drills in EVERY department, recurring theme & constant frustration for those who want to imp
    - no options for career growth internally (expect to leave the company if you want to move forward in your career)
    -as others have said – FALSE PROMISES – do not believe a word they say, it is to soothe your mind but nothing will come of it
    -Black Friday & thus Thanksgiving are not really holidays – most work during this time due to seasonal nature of the retail industry
    -management loves to micromanage, but claim they do not – very hypocritical in general
    -Some management (CEO included) are intimidating and confrontational making them unapproachable and in general unpleasant to be around
    -Taking initiative, being proactive, & creative problem solving is not rewarded here
    -Unprofessional, negative work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementDon’t make promises you don’t intend to keep. Treat your employees with respect. Top-down management is most effective so set an example with your own behavior for employees to follow suit.

Truth be told though - this is a “waste of breath” as management will acknowledge your ideas, but never take them seriously which leads to employee disengagement and apathy. Offers.com won't go out of business anytime soon but it will never be a front-runner in the coupons/deals space.

Great potential - with an uphill battle ahead

Austin, TX

ProsWorking at Vertive is fine for a job right out of college when your expectations are low. They are taking steps in the right direction; however, not at a fast enough pace.

- talented, hard-working, and creative employees
    - 15 days of paid vacation, you get your birthday off, flexible hours to schedule doctor's appointments, personal errands, etc.
    - 401K match program
    - competitive benefits
    - annual bonus
    - free snacks and weekly lunches
    - various team outings (happy hours, catered ice cream, games, etc.)
    - My boss allowed me to have creative control and try new things which I appreciated - this mentality is not true for each department

Cons- work long and chaotic holiday hours because of the retail space
    - flat or slow-moving career growth - you have to ask for what you want
    - empty promises
    - fearful of innovation and trusting employees expertise
    - lack of non traditional marketing

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees and act on your promises. Don't make someone ask for what they already deserve. This will lower your turnover rate and keep valued employees from searching for other opportunities.

Decent place to work, but not a place to advance your career longterm

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

Pros- a lot of great people to work with
    - good benefits, PTO, 401K, weekly lunches, snacks
    - interesting and growing industry to work in

Cons- old fashioned face time mindset in upper management
    - company tends to take 1 step forward then 2 or 3 back most of the time
    - ceo micromanagement
    - no real career paths exist, lots of promises that never pan out

So much potential, but crushed by mismanagement

Pros* Free snacks and drinks
    * Most co-workers are smart, friendly, and fun
    * Decent compensation and benefits
    * Good computer equipment, desks, chairs

Cons* Office is bleh, uniform depressing gray color
    * CEO micromanages everything, blocks all innovation, doesn't trust any employees
    * No room for advancement or creativity
    * Totally fearful of innovation, only wants to copy competitors
    * Product development goes around in circles, and ultimately nothing of value is accomplished
    * Frequent false crisis situations, aka fire-drills
    * Lack of communication
    * Management has no coherent vision for the company
    * After a long time of fighting an uphill battle for innovation and quality, most employees give up caring

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO needs to let go of tight-fisted control of everything, and let the smart employees he has hired do their jobs. Make the best money-saving websites instead of trying to make a crappy also-ran social network. Get rid of the bumbling and over sized product team, and let the competent and creative people do what they do best.

Has the potential to be so, so, so much better

(Former Employee)

Pros- Catered lunches on Wednesday
    - Free snacks
    - Great benefits
    - Awesome, friendly coworkers
    - Potential for greatness

ConsAs other reviews have stated, Vertive does a great job at hiring smart people. And it can be a great place to start a career -- as long as you know you'll need to move on to move up.

While there are awesome ideas being discussed in meetings, at lunch, and in the breakroom (and most employees seem to agree on what it would take to improve the company's processes), the problem is an upper-management bottleneck. A project will be in development for weeks, about to be implemented, only for the CEO to reject the idea at the last moment and send everyone back to the drawing board, meaning that every other project, in turn, gets delayed.

It's apparently a good place to be a developer, because you'll notice most of those employees have been around an average of 4+ years, while the average for the rest of the company is about 1.5 - 2 years before making a departure. (I expect its because they make a lot of $$ for a pretty cushy job, given the slow, convoluted development process).

Here's the good thing - the company is stable and making money, so there's little concern that you'll be out of a job soon if you take one here. But it's doubtful that you'll see any transformative technology coming out of the company either. A real shame, because things here could be so much better.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the way and let people do what they were hired to do (if you tried this for three months, you would see real progress, I'm sure). Start promoting projects that support the core work of the company, and back off from trying to create a social network. Admit the company's faults so we can improve upon them. Stop obsessing over the competition and do what's best for the consumers.

Worked for Vertive? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vertive reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vertive CEO Steve Schaffer. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by Vertive employees.