Vertrue

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gary A. Johnson

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not the greatest place to work

Senior Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Vertrue full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt's a very Entrepreneurial atmosphere with good people, so it's a place to really have the freedom to get things done if you want. You can rise quickly.

ConsCompany is very misunderstood. They're are many regulatory authorities that are going after them because they have deep pockets, but they actually one of the best companies in their space compared to the competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust do your best

Not a good work environment. Toxic politics in upper management

Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Vertrue full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople who are director and below

Very nice offices and good benefits.

ConsCoworkers are very two-faced as others have said.

Business is totally sales driven with no respect given to customer experience. Sell anything and use various tactics to increase signups and subscriber tenure.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on making a good product that people actually want and will keep and quit the games.

Should have seen it coming...

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Vertrue full-time

ProsGood people, cool office building

ConsDidn't navigate fast enough to avoid failing, wasted tons of money on marketing old products at the expense of funding newer, cleaner ones

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't say everything is going to be alright to appease us if you don't really feel like you are doing what you need to keep us safe.

Like chasing your tail...

Software Architect (Former Employee)

I worked at Vertrue full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSome of the best IT professionals in the area.

They are bankrupt! That is a "pro" for consumers.

ConsThe worst Product Marketing, Product Development people in the industry.

One word: Unscrupulous.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate real products consumers want. The squandered the greatest collection of resources in the NY area.

Good while it lasted

Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Vertrue

ProsThe company is located in a convenient spot. The majority of the employees are nice people and a pleasure to work with. There is a good work/life balance

ConsCompany is on a financial downward trend and the senior management is struggling to correct the issues. No raises or bonuses and benefits have been cut.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in new blood who have new ideas. Current management seems to throw marketing dollars at initiatives that are untested and they have no idea if they will be successful or not.

Run, run as fast as you can no matter how much they offer to pay you!

Creative Director Web Design and Development (Former Employee)

I worked at Vertrue

ProsThe Pay, The benefits, the Christmas Party. The Christmas Party is usually very fancy with the executives getting drunk and giving away $100 bills and large screen tvs. They also used to do a great booze cruise around Manhattan and the occasional trip in the corporate jet was fun. The office is architecturally kinda cool with artwork from local artists on the walls and available for purchase. It is an open environment with no walls which I thought I would hate but turned out to be kinda nice - if you weren't stuck at one of the desks in the middle of the room.

ConsHigh pressure, horrible/incompetent management, good ole boy mentality. Treat employees as worker bees. Bad, Bad, Bad. Even the salary didn't compensate in the end for the feeling of dread getting up to go to work in that pressure cooker. The management is so completely lacking in creativity or imagination. The services they provide are really worthless and nothing that you couldn't find without being charged a monthly fee on you credit card. There are about 5 people who run the place who are overpaid and under the assumption that anyone who works under them are disposable assets. Just the worst. I know this sounds like a disgruntled x employee but take my word for it I was there for many years and Ive worked at many large companies and am now very happily employed but I must say, honestly Vertrue is one of the most dysfunctional companies Ive ever. The amazing thing is that they still manage to make money, but they bottom will drop out one day when they run out of people to rip off and some AG finally nails them to the wall for consumer fraud or some kind of financial impropriety.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. They dont want to hear it. Any feedback or constructive criticism would fall on deaf ears.

Vertrue, great place to work!

Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits
Excellent perks -- ability to use memberships for free
Many events for the employees to attend and no expense is spared in these parties
Awesome softball team
Talented group of people to work with
Accomplished team
Facility in Norwalk is state of the art and a nice enviroment to work in.
Unique team, facility and group of people

ConsOffice politics
In some departments face time is a neccesary evil
Unique team, facility and group of people
Can be very cliquey
Communication within different groups can be challenging.
Overall company communication can be drastically improved

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more praise
Be accountable for how the staff perceives your actions
Have all groups follow the same rules
work on ways to improve communication

Vertrue - where the chairs are more expensive than your computers.

Senior Web Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Vertrue

ProsLarge corporation with generous pay and the ability to transition into management fairly quickly. It's an easy job if you enjoy mind-numbing, non-challenging work. Once you are a part of the company, they will do anything to keep you there.

ConsProducts are cheesy, the computer chairs cost more than the computers, morality conflicts with products you're hired to design/market/develop, and an unbelievable amount of mostly useless meetings. Your superiors will take offense if you offer any suggestions for product enhancements and they take offense if you offer constructive criticism.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire anyone who doesn't care about user experience on the web. Hire people who are passionate about product development and want to make a difference, not just people looking to lazily hang out until retirement.

Worked for Vertrue? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vertrue reviews and ratings in Bridgeport, CT — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vertrue CEO Gary A. Johnson. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Vertrue employees.