Vertrue

Vertrue Reviews in Bridgeport, CT

2.9

Gary A. Johnson

11 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

It was a very pleasant assignment where no pressured me into writing quickly.

Former Contractor - Senior Technical Writer in Norwalk, CT
    Former Contractor - Senior Technical Writer in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Vertrue as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The work was easy enough and the managers were quite affable. Using MS Word and InfoMapping I was able to bring the assignment in on time. The managers had someone explain to me about Landing Pages and how they worked so I could get a better idea of how to write the document.

Cons

There were no cons as there were on other assignments.

Keep on doing the assignments the same way.

A Great Experience at Vertrue

Former Employee - Legal Department in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Legal Department in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Vertrue full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In my 10 years with Vertrue, I learned so much about the inner workings of a corporate legal dept. After being employed for 19 years in law firms in litigation depts., Vertrue gave me additional skills of working with vendor contracts, corporate governance, marketing materials and other areas. The attorneys and legal staff were a great bunch of people. The office in Norwalk was 3 floors of an open space environment with a young and edgie (sp?) feel. That's right. No one had an office. The CEO, CFO and General Counsel sat out on the floor with the rest of us. I believe we had up to 300 people at one time. We had a large Board Conf. Room and smaller Conf. Rooms throughout the office. Furniture was unique and snazzy. 3 large Lunch Rooms on 3 Floors all had 3 large flat Screen TVs in each, along with a lounge downstairs that had bean bag chairs, ping pong table and video gaming console and other goodies. For the most part, I would say it was a young group in Marketing and Creative depts., and us older people in Legal and Accounting (older being over 35). Good benefit package, vacation was on par with other companies and holiday parties, cocktail parties and summer picnics were always a blast. I dealt on a regular basis with senior management, as well as all of the internal depts. from HR, to Marketing, to IT. All good people, always helpful. Work-life balance was good in the Legal Dept., I rarely worked over 45 hours a week. Perks -- annual bonus on top of an annual salary increase (but if you were an hourly employee, you did not receive a bonus only a salary increase). My salary was very good and I thank my boss for showing his appreciation by giving me such great increases over the years!

Cons

Did not like the small Darien office we moved to in 2013 with the 35 remaining employees. Also, I miss all of my Vertrue friends who have moved on to greener pastures.

They are no longer with the Company.

My ten years experience with Vertrue Inc.

Former Employee - Receptionist in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Vertrue full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Vertrue was a fun, family oriented place to work. The company was big and successful. Training was excellent and they always tried to make you better with your working skills/abilities. The benefits also were very good.

Cons

I consider my job very much!!

Not a good work environment. Toxic politics in upper management

Former Employee - Product Manager in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Vertrue full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People who are director and below

Very nice offices and good benefits.

Cons

Coworkers are very two-faced as others have said.

Business is totally sales driven with no respect given to customer experience. Sell anything and use various tactics to increase signups and subscriber tenure.

Focus on making a good product that people actually want and will keep and quit the games.

Not the greatest place to work

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Vertrue full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a very Entrepreneurial atmosphere with good people, so it's a place to really have the freedom to get things done if you want. You can rise quickly.

Cons

Company is very misunderstood. They're are many regulatory authorities that are going after them because they have deep pockets, but they actually one of the best companies in their space compared to the competition.

Just do your best

Should have seen it coming...

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Vertrue full-time

Pros

Good people, cool office building

Cons

Didn't navigate fast enough to avoid failing, wasted tons of money on marketing old products at the expense of funding newer, cleaner ones

Don't say everything is going to be alright to appease us if you don't really feel like you are doing what you need to keep us safe.

Like chasing your tail...

Former Employee - Software Architect in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Software Architect in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Vertrue full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some of the best IT professionals in the area.

They are bankrupt! That is a "pro" for consumers.

Cons

The worst Product Marketing, Product Development people in the industry.

One word: Unscrupulous.

Create real products consumers want. The squandered the greatest collection of resources in the NY area.

Good while it lasted

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Vertrue

Pros

The company is located in a convenient spot. The majority of the employees are nice people and a pleasure to work with. There is a good work/life balance

Cons

Company is on a financial downward trend and the senior management is struggling to correct the issues. No raises or bonuses and benefits have been cut.

Bring in new blood who have new ideas. Current management seems to throw marketing dollars at initiatives that are untested and they have no idea if they will be successful or not.

Run, run as fast as you can no matter how much they offer to pay you!

Former Employee - Creative Director Web Design and Development in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Creative Director Web Design and Development in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Vertrue

Pros

The Pay, The benefits, the Christmas Party. The Christmas Party is usually very fancy with the executives getting drunk and giving away $100 bills and large screen tvs. They also used to do a great booze cruise around Manhattan and the occasional trip in the corporate jet was fun. The office is architecturally kinda cool with artwork from local artists on the walls and available for purchase. It is an open environment with no walls which I thought I would hate but turned out to be kinda nice - if you weren't stuck at one of the desks in the middle of the room.

Cons

High pressure, horrible/incompetent management, good ole boy mentality. Treat employees as worker bees. Bad, Bad, Bad. Even the salary didn't compensate in the end for the feeling of dread getting up to go to work in that pressure cooker. The management is so completely lacking in creativity or imagination. The services they provide are really worthless and nothing that you couldn't find without being charged a monthly fee on you credit card. There are about 5 people who run the place who are overpaid and under the assumption that anyone who works under them are disposable assets. Just the worst. I know this sounds like a disgruntled x employee but take my word for it I was there for many years and Ive worked at many large companies and am now very happily employed but I must say, honestly Vertrue is one of the most dysfunctional companies Ive ever. The amazing thing is that they still manage to make money, but they bottom will drop out one day when they run out of people to rip off and some AG finally nails them to the wall for consumer fraud or some kind of financial impropriety.

None. They dont want to hear it. Any feedback or constructive criticism would fall on deaf ears.

Vertrue, great place to work!

Former Employee - Account Manager in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Vertrue

Pros

Great benefits
    Excellent perks -- ability to use memberships for free
    Many events for the employees to attend and no expense is spared in these parties
    Awesome softball team
    Talented group of people to work with
    Accomplished team
    Facility in Norwalk is state of the art and a nice enviroment to work in.
    Unique team, facility and group of people

Cons

Office politics
    In some departments face time is a neccesary evil
    Unique team, facility and group of people
    Can be very cliquey
    Communication within different groups can be challenging.
    Overall company communication can be drastically improved

Give more praise
    Be accountable for how the staff perceives your actions
    Have all groups follow the same rules
    work on ways to improve communication