Vertrue

Add Photos

Gary A. Johnson

A Great Experience at Vertrue

Legal Department (Former Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsIn my 10 years with Vertrue, I learned so much about the inner workings of a corporate legal dept. After being employed for 19 years in law firms in litigation depts., Vertrue gave me additional skills of working with vendor contracts, corporate governance, marketing materials and other areas. The attorneys and legal staff were a great bunch of people. The office in Norwalk was 3 floors of an open space environment with a young and edgie (sp?) feel. That's right. No one had an office. The CEO, CFO and General Counsel sat out on the floor with the rest of us. I believe we had up to 300 people at one time. We had a large Board Conf. Room and smaller Conf. Rooms throughout the office. Furniture was unique and snazzy. 3 large Lunch Rooms on 3 Floors all had 3 large flat Screen TVs in each, along with a lounge downstairs that had bean bag chairs, ping pong table and video gaming console and other goodies. For the most part, I would say it was a young group in Marketing and Creative depts., and us older people in Legal and Accounting (older being over 35). Good benefit package, vacation was on par with other companies and holiday parties, cocktail parties and summer picnics were always a blast. I dealt on a regular basis with senior management, as well as all of the internal depts. from HR, to Marketing, to IT. All good people, always helpful. Work-life balance was good in the Legal Dept., I rarely worked over 45 hours a week. Perks -- annual bonus on top of an annual salary increase (but if you were an hourly employee, you did not receive a bonus only a salary increase). My salary was very good and I thank my boss for showing his appreciation by giving me such great increases over the years!

ConsDid not like the small Darien office we moved to in 2013 with the 35 remaining employees. Also, I miss all of my Vertrue friends who have moved on to greener pastures.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are no longer with the Company.

My ten years experience with Vertrue Inc.

Receptionist (Former Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsVertrue was a fun, family oriented place to work. The company was big and successful. Training was excellent and they always tried to make you better with your working skills/abilities. The benefits also were very good.

ConsI consider my job very much!!

Advice to Senior ManagementNo.

Vertrue WAS a good company to work for, until they ran into trouble.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorked with some really nice people, great building & atmosphere. Ability to learn and grow. Open space setup fostered communication.

ConsUnfortunately the business model did not hold up and the company declared bankruptcy. Massive layoffs and eventually there was only a skeleton staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Leadership needed to change their business model and they tried too late.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked there a long time and the people were great. That's what made it great.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI liked being able to use their programs

ConsSome customers were difficult to work with

Not a good work environment. Toxic politics in upper management

Product Manager (Former Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsPeople who are director and below

Very nice offices and good benefits.

ConsCoworkers are very two-faced as others have said.

Business is totally sales driven with no respect given to customer experience. Sell anything and use various tactics to increase signups and subscriber tenure.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on making a good product that people actually want and will keep and quit the games.

Great place to work

Customer Service (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsThey are very flexible...great benefits & management.

ConsSome coworkers are very two-faced.

Advice to Senior ManagementNip drama in the bud.

Not the greatest place to work

Senior Vice President (Former Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsIt's a very Entrepreneurial atmosphere with good people, so it's a place to really have the freedom to get things done if you want. You can rise quickly.

ConsCompany is very misunderstood. They're are many regulatory authorities that are going after them because they have deep pockets, but they actually one of the best companies in their space compared to the competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust do your best

Should have seen it coming...

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsGood people, cool office building

ConsDidn't navigate fast enough to avoid failing, wasted tons of money on marketing old products at the expense of funding newer, cleaner ones

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't say everything is going to be alright to appease us if you don't really feel like you are doing what you need to keep us safe.

Like chasing your tail...

Software Architect (Former Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsSome of the best IT professionals in the area.

They are bankrupt! That is a "pro" for consumers.

ConsThe worst Product Marketing, Product Development people in the industry.

One word: Unscrupulous.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate real products consumers want. The squandered the greatest collection of resources in the NY area.

Satisfied within team but overal company satisfaction lacking.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsGreat work/life balance when not on a major project.
    Wonderful co-workers.
    No sick policy per say, if you were sick you stayed home/worked from home so you didn't spread germs in the open environment.

ConsWork/life balance was terrible when on a project; it was not uncommon to work 60+ hour weeks. The direction of projects changed daily and upper management could not understand why nothing got done quickly when the scope was constantly changing. Unrealistic timelines were normal. The IT division ran the company and always went after the newest shiniest toy, spending too much time and effort on initiatives that didn't come to fruition.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to give direction and stick to it. Be more open with your employees and let them know what s going on withing the company. Be realistic in your goals, haivng 26 initiatives at one time is unrealistic and puts too much stress on everyone when none of them get accomplished.

Worked for Vertrue? Contribute to the Community!