VetCor Reviews

Updated July 25, 2014
Updated July 25, 2014
2.8

Dan Adams

Highest standard of care in veterinary medicine today

Current Employee - Hospital Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Hospital Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at VetCor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Vetcor owns clinics with the highest standards of patient care, but they are flexible enough to allow each clinic to have its own individual means for this care. They allow the management and chiefs of staff to manage the day-to-day aspects while handling much of the behind-the-scenes items for clinic operation. Many people might stray from a "corporate" animal hospital, but since our inclusion with VetCor, some of our prices have gone down, not up. All of the management and corporate folks are extremely friendly and wonderful to interact with.

Cons

None that I can think of

Employee Observations

I worked at VetCor

Pros

Employees’ honesty about turnover, lack of incentives, vendor repayment and executive management’s transparency.

Cons

This firm is approximately $200MM with 1,500 employees yet there is no HR department only a junior recruitment specialist who is limited. Employees openly discuss the lack of benefits – state minimum insurance with 60% coverage, 7 corporate holidays, 5 vacation days and no bonuses, cost of living increases or performance reviews. Employees express frustration over working for a healthcare firm which doesn’t prioritize healthcare for employees. Reports of employees on food stamps were disturbing.

Something has gone awry in recent times – employees used to have open, positive interactions. The last image I have is of people in corporate not smiling.

Not necessary as business activity indicates a sell off in the near future.

Wonderful group to work for!

I have been working at VetCor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Advancement if you are interested. Feel like the folks at the top listen to feedback. Fair pay and recognition for hard work.

Cons

Growing fast, not enough support people in the field

Be sure there are enough people to support all the hospitals.

No good experiences with this corp

I worked at VetCor part-time

Pros

none that I can think of , health insurance is expensive and not good coverage, pay scale is very low, no training

Cons

They will tell you anything but not deliver. Lie about things, put staff and practice down, do not help to build practice. Do not encourage morale or spirit. Just almighty dollar is important. ot medicine, people or image.

It will be better to have employees develope a safe and faithful relationship, build trust.

Helping Animals get Rich

I have been working at VetCor

Pros

Before my exit the company was very fun, had a great culture, great atmosphere. People actually wanted to be there. As they transitioned to a new capital partner the focus changed along with senior managements beliefs.

Cons

Overworked. Underpaid. Most importantly, Under appreciated.

No Comment

Great work experience

I worked at VetCor

Pros

Let the practice owner take care of business without much corporate intervention. Allowed for a less stressful environment overall.

Cons

Pay and pay raises are poor. No holiday bonuses. Numbers are more valued than people.

A place for a paycheck not a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hingham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hingham, MA

I worked at VetCor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. The people are friendly and down to earth

2. It's a good commute if you live in the South Shore

Cons

These statements are based on my time at VetCor headquarters through 2012. I left that year after slowly realizing VetCor was not a place to plan my future around. I have confirmed with colleagues that all of the following points are still true.

1. There were gaps in key management roles that remain unfilled while the company continued to grow 15-20 hospitals a year. VetCor did not have a Head of HR, Controller, Head of Benefits. I also heard that the CFO and Accounting Manager were let go some time recently. These are all essential positions that a company of 1,500+ needs to have.

2. Key departments were understaffed leaving the existing staff overwhelmed and unable to keep up. Accounting, for instance, was often late to pay hospital bills. This led to many cases of hospitals almost getting their utilities shut off.

3. No structure for career advancement. Annual reviews only happened once in the three years I was there. I noticed most people did the same exact job year after year without any growth.

4. Leadership did not communicate it's vision with employees. Other than hearing about new hospitals being added, leadership kept planning to themselves. Also, we were never informed when key people were let go and how that would impact us. The VP of Finance was let go without any communication. His desk was just empty one day.

Be honest with your staff and hospitals about your intentions for this company. VetCor keeps getting bigger and bigger, but no attempts are made to get more efficient or hire to fill the many key vacancies this company has. This seems like a clear sign that leadership is looking to sell soon and not deal with the growing pains of this company. Why else would a company choose to grow at this pace with so much going wrong.

Great company to work for! Management is always available and actually listens to employees!

Former Employee - Veterinary Technician in East Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Veterinary Technician in East Providence, RI

I worked at VetCor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment for growth and learning. Great prices for services offered. Our district manager was in our facility every other week and knew us all by name. Management was fair and easily approachable. Offered outside short-term loan options for clients with financial issues.

Cons

The company only gets your hospital new equipment if the hospital makes enough money, which if you live in an area where your clients don't have much money, you get looked over for a lot of things. Also, they constantly buy up new hospitals and then turn around and tell employees that they "can't afford" to give raises.

You guys are doing a great job! It was always nice to see out DM in our hospital. Maybe share some of the wealth to other hospitals in need of new equipment and give a raise to your hard-working techs and receptionists every once in a while.

Low quality of care, high sales, low pay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at VetCor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really I can't think of any reason to work for VetCor. Work for a clinic owned by a veterinarian who cares about things like standards of care, work/life balance and paying their employees enough so that the entire staff is not on food stamps.

Cons

While veterinary hospitals are a business, VetCor takes it too far. It's all about payroll, sales and new client numbers. The management was under so much pressure from the corporate office regarding numbers. Every member of the staff was on or qualified for food stamps--in Texas!-- and was expected to work 12 hour shifts and frequently had to skip lunch. The staff was also expected to be perfect at all times, mistakes were punished severely, especially if the numbers were affected.

Holidays, sick days, health insurance, discounts and any other benefits were a joke--they all came at a very high cost and most staff declined. Since PTO counted against payroll numbers, if a staff member was out, management would not bring in another staff member to cover the shift. It was absolutely horrible. It's no wonder their turnover is so high.