Veterans Canteen Service

Updated Mar 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Know your Job

Assistant Chief (Current Employee)

I have been working at Veterans Canteen Service full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLearn a lot as you have the opportunity to move within the company quiet a bit.

ConsIt is federal government, so what they say goes. You are on a contract basis that you have to more or less fulfill. Also, you may get moved to other states which you may or may not like. Also, work hours can be at times too much as too many projects may get assigned.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it Simple.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Overwhelming workload with total disregard for a very hard working and dedicated staff.

Accounting (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Veterans Canteen Service full-time for less than a year

ProsRegretfully, there are none. There is substantial talent in the department that will soon be leaving.

ConsI had hoped that my service there would assist in the advancement of Veteran's services. I have never seen or been employed with a business that has such a high level of disorganization and disregard for their staff. Very high level of cronyism in the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe VCS needs to seriously consider the employment status of the head of the department before all of the talent has left. The department needs to be reorganized with a team approach and a new employee friendly leadership.

Was a great place to work, now the Worst!

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Veterans Canteen Service full-time for more than 8 years

ProsHelping Veterans and their care givers. Working for the VA. Government benefits.

Cons2014
New Mission statement: $$$$$.

Ten years ago, this was a behind the times, boys club of who you know, but it still had a heart.
New leadership came in and she dragged the VCS kicking and scream into the 22nd century, and along the way, tore out its soul.

They no longer care about Veterans or their Employees. Its all about the money now. They spent millions on up-grading systems and programs that don't work. Then more money on top of that to fix it and make it work, and it still doesn't work. Then never admit they make mistakes. They cut service and over work their employees trying to make up for the wasted money from poor leadership.

Loyalty and dedication have no value here.

This used to be a great place to work. If you are good at your job, don't waste your time here, they don't care about you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to ALL leave.

bad place to work

Canteen Manager (Current Employee)
Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Veterans Canteen Service full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAt lest I had a job

ConsI hate the canteen.worst place I ever worked

You're better off not working here. Keep looking within the VA.

Central Office (Former Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Veterans Canteen Service full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get off for all of the major holidays as any Government worker would.

ConsWay too many politics for a hospital gift shop and food court.
You are not really helping Veterans, but they'll tell you that you are. They raise the prices too much for Vets to shop there.
They bring you on as a VC grade and you'll never get a GS unless you're in Central Office and they like you a lot.
If one person in Central Office doesn't like you, you're doomed to fail.
They have no respect for the Chiefs and Asst. Chief and especially not the workers in the Canteens.
No one at the top has ANY prior experience working in an actual Canteen store- so they don't know what it is like for those on the front lines.
They think they know what they are doing- but they don't. Too many projects going on and none of them work.
They do whatever they want and get away with it.
They speak down to people in the field and down grade their positions- when everyone at Central Office can make even more mistakes and are never punished.
They hand pick and pre-select those they want to move up- don't kid yourself thinking you'll get a job unless they've told you to apply for it or already told you that you got it.
It's a joke. Don't even apply. You'll rue the day that you did.
These people are just really weird that work in Central Office. It's just not normal.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's this thing called KARMA and it'll catch up to you.

Worked for Veterans Canteen Service? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Veterans Canteen Service reviews and ratings. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Veterans Canteen Service employees.