Veterans Evaluation Services

Updated June 4, 2014
Updated June 4, 2014

2.5

Travis Fitzpatrick

Excellent company. Promotes from within. Helping Veterans when they need it most.

Pros

VES is definitely in it for the right reasons. They want to help veterans and they don't play political games. I like the grass roots feel. There is a strong team ethic and they have been nothing but good to me. I feel like my hard work and consistently "showing up" has paid off. I feel like I earned my respect and I appreciate that.

Cons

While most managers and employees are good, some co-workers are hard to deal with because they don't show up, have bad atitudes, careless mistakes, etc.. VES is too nice with regard to hiring practices. It can be challenging work and communication is very important. People who have poor communication skills (spelling, word usage, grammar, speaking) tend to be dramatic and negative and wash out in a few months, leaving the rest of us saddled with work and fixing their mistakes.

Be more selective in your hiring. Interviewing is a skill that a couple managers don't seem to have. It is hard for us to process work when we have to fire people who can't hang and then replace them.

Demeaning, unorgranized, system they use is a mess

Pros

Casual environment but that applies to many companies elsewhere, work from home

Cons

I agree with many of the comments. Does not follow federal contractor guidelines, no matter how many times tell managers because they prefer not to listen and make you feel like ants. The system they use is mess and is horrible unorganized and is confusing. Always get complaints from doctors about the system. No promotion opportunities. Micromanaging, some managers too bossy and errogant, blame other departments is a daily occurrence. Sometimes speak to us in demeaning manner and treat your like kids. Vacation and sick time are combined, no education reimbursement. Those with little skills do little and are favorites get promoted.

Well-deserved employees shouldn't be passed up for opportunities, company morale needs fixing. Stop worrying about profits, improve the training and work on the attitude, stop picking favorites who lack skills to run your departments. Hire experienced managers from outside the company with unclouded view of how to improve company. Clean house and get rid of extra weight and the ones who sit back and do little work and get paid more than those who bust their hind quarters. stop talking about owners haves when the have nots get little in return for their hard work.

Great work helping Veterans, but the organization is disfunctional.

Pros

You talk to Veterans who need help all day, and you can work from home. A minority of other employees work with you to provide solutions for needy Veterans.

Cons

The benefits provided meet no needs of Seniors, and the company is in no way interested in meeting those needs. Company management is often laughably inept. Do not expect the company to follow guidelines for Federal Contractors.

Figure out that your goal is to have Vets happily attend, not to phoneslam numbers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Favoritism, micromanagement, bad attitude,

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

I wish I had some pros but it's one of the worst company I've worked at. Focus too much on making money and not on the wellbeing of there employees.

Cons

Company is very disorganized and doesn't have its priorities in line. Some members of department can be rude and impatient when asking for help. Too controling, doesn't address workplace problems, unexpected firings

Stop choosing favorites and get skilled employees, recognize your valued employees who have the skills to lead instead of just handing leadership positions to those unqualified, talk to the It department about the way they talk to us when we ask for help. Hire managers from outside who have actual experience instead of ones who claim to have experience or none at all.

Disorganized, untrained managers, nepotism favoritsm

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

laid back, casual, can be busy sometimes, look for a job elsewhere.

Cons

too laid back, too casual, too much foul language, managers not fully qualified to manage and no managerial training, favorites and friends get more job duties than others, little benefits, blame game, too much dishonesty, lack of communication between departments, lack of patience when need help, too many complaints between departments, no chance to move up, too many promises, unexpected firings, some managers have i'm always right attitude problems without listening to employee

Get managerial training, be honest and communicate with everyone and not just your friends and favorites, notice those who can and do the job, look under the blanket and see what is really going on. Think through decisions before making them, stop micro management, manage your temper

Dishonest hiring and business practices

Former Employee - Disability Benefits Evaluator  in  The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Disability Benefits Evaluator in The Woodlands, TX

Pros

None- the profitable work promised is slim in quantity and comes with far too many strings attached. The management is incredibly disorganized and difficult to work with.

Cons

When I was hired, I was promised profitable work, and plenty of it. The pay is per patient, and looked good until I realized that most of the actual work comes on the back end, without pay. I was plagued by an incessant trickle of demands for rewrites and revisions over the course of weeks following the patient encounters. The management made no mention of this whatsoever when I was hired.
         I was also offered only a fraction of the work promised, which did not even pay back the up-front costs of licensure and liability insurance required for the job. Their dishonesty cost me an incredible amount of precious time.

Be honest about the limitations of what you can offer medical providers, and about the heavy workload of follow-up requests after the patient visits.

Great company. Great opportunity to help out fellow Veterans.

Current Employee - Veterans Liaison Officer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Veterans Liaison Officer in Houston, TX

Pros

Great work environment for helping Veterans.

Cons

No room for growth within the company.

Allow employees to grow within the company.

Non-educated managers, minimal training, no HR department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

No dress code. The new president is very hands on and has a Managing By Walking Around Style.

Cons

Many managers do not have degrees and were promoted based on tenure so they have little knowledge on how to effectively run their departments. Conflict of interest between 2 of the departments due to relatives being the managers - productivity and processes go by the wayside. Too many people are hired because they have friends working there and not because of their background and experience. No structured training for most roles. No HR department, just 2 individuals so no employee advocates on board in whom employees can approach in adverse situations.

Revamp the structure, incorporate more trainings, and get educated business minded individuals in management.

A dedicated and patriotic company that helps Veterans

Current Employee - Quality Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Quality Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

This company is simply great. Any negative reviews are by disgruntled ex-employees as I've never found management to be rude or in any way unorganized. If anything, they go out of their way to help and there is no "glass ceiling." Everyone has a shot.

Cons

Wish the government would give us more contracts

Continue what you are doing. You are helping people. Ignore the negative reviews. They are just bitter.

Disorganized, nepotistic, and sometimes rude upper management.

Former Employee - Quality Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Quality Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

A lot of the non-management staff are great people and make work enjoyable. It's a fairly laid back atmosphere, but that does not imply that the work is easy or low demand.

Cons

The upper management is extremely disorganized and can often be rude in relations to employees. There is rarely positive feedback, but negative feedback comes regularly through email, meetings, or face to face with management. The company blatantly practices nepotism, and most employees were constantly worried about losing their jobs as people were regularly fired without any explanation to other employees.

Improve communication with employees. If an employee confronts you with a question or concern, don't respond in a rude manner. Additionally, keeping employees in the dark regarding the well-being of the company seems very sketchy and as if the employees were never by the management.

Worked for Veterans Evaluation Services? Contribute to the Community!