Veterans Evaluation Services

Updated November 6, 2014
Updated November 6, 2014
2.4

Travis Fitzpatrick

Tremendous potential; sadly, unlikely to realize it....

Former Employee - Medical Examiner in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Medical Examiner in Houston, TX

I worked at Veterans Evaluation Services as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

This company has a few exceptional and well qualified employees. If you are lucky enough to work with them, your time here will be considerably better for it. PROs: In general 1) there is an (almost intense) focus on a timely turnaround for exam reports (48hrs), which is good thing; 2) the company is very prompt and accurate in payments to contractors (every two weeks). This exceeds industry standards.

Cons

If you have read through previous reviews, you should be picking up on a consistent and repeated theme. I would concur with most all that has been posted by (literate) reviewers: 1) There appears to be no formal educational requirements, or training, for management positions. It shows. 2) As nice/cool/fun/easy/laid-back/veteran-friendly/family/other as someone is, this will never replace an essential quality: COMPETENCE. It's lacking. 3) Organization. There is no clear chain of command; no identified buck-stops-here person. As a result, major problems are never resolved because it is no one's ultimate responsibility to solve. The ball gets tossed around, back and forth, up and down, while "solutions" are solicited. And then, the same issue will rise to live again another day. And another, and another. 4) HR/Staffing. Simply put: Qualified people are not in positions of authority/power/oversight. 5) "Family company" -- well, that kinda puts it up front, right? Hard to complain you didn't see that coming? 6) Random people assume HR authority; seem to generate random "rules" and conditions that change from person to person (contractors) when they are hired. 7) Deadwood permeates this company. Off-site staff are hired and float outside the oversight and supervision of day to day head office operations; it is unclear what their duties comprise. Unclear how their days are filled. Unclear who is responsible for managing, supervising, training, and disciplining some pretty inappropriate and non-veteran-friendly behavior that goes on out there. Alternatively, the good ones go un-noticed/rewarded/advanced. 8) IT/security is rudimentary and unequipped to handle big-time federal responsibilities an requirements. Back door open on the www for how long last year? 9) Too dependent on single source funding. Need to develop other lines of business; constant up-shifting and then down-shifting based on flow of VA referrals and money. It's tough work, being a federal cheese-eater. Better to diversify. More johns makes the income a little more stable and you can spring for some solid, actual physical locations.

See above. There is tremendous potential. You are at a crossroads. Make the right decisions.

Good people, terrible management.

Former Employee - Scheduler in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Scheduler in Houston, TX

I worked at Veterans Evaluation Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of great people here, everyone is polite and do really try to make you feel at home.

Cons

Terrible management and no room to grow. Managers have little to no training and most have not attended college level schooling. Advancement is nearly obsolete and those who do earn promotions do so through favoritism rather than hard work. Transferring between departments is also nearly impossible and attempting to will land you on the "naughty list". Managers also tend to harass workers over their shoulders or simply monitor progress from their stations rather than actually working. If you're unlucky enough to land a job in the Call Center, you'll be paid less than everyone else, have shorter breaks, much more work and be constantly nagged and whipped at for doing your job both correctly and incorrectly.

More training, less favoritism. Managers need to do actual work rather than micro manage. Many departments need restructuring and the program used - OMS - needs one hell of an update.

Good cause, good people but...

I have been working at Veterans Evaluation Services

Pros

Very good cause; expediting long backlogged VA claims. For the most part, everyone is a great bunch of people to work with and easy going. Definitely not your golf on Sunday khaki-wearing yuppie types but more guitar players than the Warped Tour working here.

Cons

No room for real advancement for anyone looking to make this a career. Managers themselves have little to no formal management training or any formal post high school education at all for that matter and the organization structure and day to day operation.

Time to place value on formal education/ training and prior work experience and professionalism with respect to placing individuals in management positions and other vital roles.

Excellent company. Promotes from within. Helping Veterans when they need it most.

I have been working at Veterans Evaluation Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

VES is definitely in it for the right reasons. They want to help veterans and they don't play political games. I like the grass roots feel. There is a strong team ethic and they have been nothing but good to me. I feel like my hard work and consistently "showing up" has paid off. I feel like I earned my respect and I appreciate that.

Cons

While most managers and employees are good, some co-workers are hard to deal with because they don't show up, have bad atitudes, careless mistakes, etc.. VES is too nice with regard to hiring practices. It can be challenging work and communication is very important. People who have poor communication skills (spelling, word usage, grammar, speaking) tend to be dramatic and negative and wash out in a few months, leaving the rest of us saddled with work and fixing their mistakes.

Be more selective in your hiring. Interviewing is a skill that a couple managers don't seem to have. It is hard for us to process work when we have to fire people who can't hang and then replace them.

Demeaning, unorgranized, system they use is a mess

I worked at Veterans Evaluation Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Casual environment but that applies to many companies elsewhere, work from home

Cons

I agree with many of the comments. Does not follow federal contractor guidelines, no matter how many times tell managers because they prefer not to listen and make you feel like ants. The system they use is mess and is horrible unorganized and is confusing. Always get complaints from doctors about the system. No promotion opportunities. Micromanaging, some managers too bossy and errogant, blame other departments is a daily occurrence. Sometimes speak to us in demeaning manner and treat your like kids. Vacation and sick time are combined, no education reimbursement. Those with little skills do little and are favorites get promoted.

Well-deserved employees shouldn't be passed up for opportunities, company morale needs fixing. Stop worrying about profits, improve the training and work on the attitude, stop picking favorites who lack skills to run your departments. Hire experienced managers from outside the company with unclouded view of how to improve company. Clean house and get rid of extra weight and the ones who sit back and do little work and get paid more than those who bust their hind quarters. stop talking about owners haves when the have nots get little in return for their hard work.

Great work helping Veterans, but the organization is disfunctional.

I worked at Veterans Evaluation Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You talk to Veterans who need help all day, and you can work from home. A minority of other employees work with you to provide solutions for needy Veterans.

Cons

The benefits provided meet no needs of Seniors, and the company is in no way interested in meeting those needs. Company management is often laughably inept. Do not expect the company to follow guidelines for Federal Contractors.

Figure out that your goal is to have Vets happily attend, not to phoneslam numbers.

Favoritism, micromanagement, bad attitude,

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Veterans Evaluation Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I wish I had some pros but it's one of the worst company I've worked at. Focus too much on making money and not on the wellbeing of there employees.

Cons

Company is very disorganized and doesn't have its priorities in line. Some members of department can be rude and impatient when asking for help. Too controling, doesn't address workplace problems, unexpected firings

Stop choosing favorites and get skilled employees, recognize your valued employees who have the skills to lead instead of just handing leadership positions to those unqualified, talk to the It department about the way they talk to us when we ask for help. Hire managers from outside who have actual experience instead of ones who claim to have experience or none at all.

Disorganized, untrained managers, nepotism favoritsm

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Veterans Evaluation Services as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

laid back, casual, can be busy sometimes, look for a job elsewhere.

Cons

too laid back, too casual, too much foul language, managers not fully qualified to manage and no managerial training, favorites and friends get more job duties than others, little benefits, blame game, too much dishonesty, lack of communication between departments, lack of patience when need help, too many complaints between departments, no chance to move up, too many promises, unexpected firings, some managers have i'm always right attitude problems without listening to employee

Get managerial training, be honest and communicate with everyone and not just your friends and favorites, notice those who can and do the job, look under the blanket and see what is really going on. Think through decisions before making them, stop micro management, manage your temper

Dishonest hiring and business practices

Former Employee - Disability Benefits Evaluator in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Disability Benefits Evaluator in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Veterans Evaluation Services as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

None- the profitable work promised is slim in quantity and comes with far too many strings attached. The management is incredibly disorganized and difficult to work with.

Cons

When I was hired, I was promised profitable work, and plenty of it. The pay is per patient, and looked good until I realized that most of the actual work comes on the back end, without pay. I was plagued by an incessant trickle of demands for rewrites and revisions over the course of weeks following the patient encounters. The management made no mention of this whatsoever when I was hired.
         I was also offered only a fraction of the work promised, which did not even pay back the up-front costs of licensure and liability insurance required for the job. Their dishonesty cost me an incredible amount of precious time.

Be honest about the limitations of what you can offer medical providers, and about the heavy workload of follow-up requests after the patient visits.

Great company. Great opportunity to help out fellow Veterans.

Current Employee - Veterans Liaison Officer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Veterans Liaison Officer in Houston, TX

Pros

Great work environment for helping Veterans.

Cons

No room for growth within the company.

Allow employees to grow within the company.