Veterans United Home Loans Reviews

Reset
4.6
Veterans United Home Loans CEO Nate Long
Nate Long

Pros
  • Benefits - Catered lunch on Mondays, Casual Dress, Strong emphasis on work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Casual dress, above average pay, get to help out veterans, and the free taxi rides home from company events (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Since I was hired this company has grown SO much (in 3 reviews)

• There are lots of changes o keep up with, but that goes with the industry (in 3 reviews)

1. Great company

Former Employee - Intern in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Columbia, MO

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, positive work environment and lots of access to resources including professional development. They emphasize a healthy work/life balance and are always encouraging staff to live according to company values.

Cons

There really aren't any major cons, but I will say inter-departmental communication isn't the best, I think it's something they are constantly trying to improve.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating, keep encouraging, keep the positivity. This is a great company to work for so I think just make sure the company values stay priority as the company grows.

2. Great if you are interested in finding drinking buddies...not great if you are looking to advance your career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free vending machines and a fresh fruit, a Christmas party that is insane, Field Day, VU foundation and the stories that are produced

Cons

Raises are on average 1.5%, thick middle management layer with slim to no experience, expensive health benefits, promotions seem to be based on how and who you spend your free time with instead of the value you deliver for the business.

Advice to Management

Clean house of the middle managers, pay people what they are worth (especially in the Software Services area), eliminate the "Bro Club", actually live and breath your values-- not just paste them all over the walls.

No such thing as a free lunch

Former Employee - Loan Processor in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Loan Processor in Columbia, MO

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay fun distractions awesome christmas party

Cons

chronic under-staffing makes everyone overworked unprofessional team leads inadequate training

5. Awesome

Current Employee - Loan Processor in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Loan Processor in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans (More than 3 years)

Pros

Absolutely fantastic place to work!!!

Cons

Nothing. I love it here.

6. Customer Service Specialist (Call Center)

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have met some of the most amazing people at this company! VU is such a community workplace. The way that the company treats its employees is unparalleled. I work in the call center and the atmosphere is always fun and upbeat but also relaxed. The management is very constructive and never negative. The company has events all the time to celebrate achievements and the employees and they never disappoint. There are PLENTY of opportunities to move up in the company. Starting in the call center is a great way to get your foot in the door, for VERY decent pay in an entry level position. I found out I was pregnant about 4 weeks after I started and my manager's first words when I told him were "That's so awesome! Congrats!" (VU has 5 weeks of paid maternity leave btw!) They are so positive here! If you have a chance to work here, DO NOT SAY NO!

Cons

No cons to think of as long as you are willing to do the work and live by the VU values. I've been here for 8 months and I still love it just as much as when I started!

Advice to Management

Keep doing everything you do to make this job amazing!

7. Very rewarding, fast paced environment.

Current Employee - Transaction Coordinator in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Transaction Coordinator in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company doesn't treat their values as just words, they live them out everyday. It is also very rewarding that we get the opportunity to serve those that have served our country. I also am at the Columbia location which is the corporate headquarters and I think that it's cool to see the CEO and other high ups and daily basis.

Cons

The workload can be a little overwhelming at times but to me that just means work stability.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on.

8. An amazing culture to develop professionally in.

Current Intern - Display Advertising in Columbia, MO
    Current Intern - Display Advertising in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

As a marketing intern, I was still felt my work made an impact in the company. I gained many useful skills that I can take with me as I move to different jobs. The culture and people give you motivation to not only work hard, but enjoy yourself while you do.

Cons

Work on the communication between different departments.

Get a little experience and move on

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good company to start & get experience -Host lots of family oriented events -Free lunches (though not weekly like used to be) -Do great work for a great cause (veterans)

Cons

There is no long term planning at the company. For upper management, long term means about 7 days. There is mass hiring, followed by lay offs, followed a few days later by more hiring to replace the people laid off. Saw this cycle multiple times while there. It was disappointing see some quality co-workers get let go or moved to another role to make room for a relative or friend of management. Benefits and compensation are mediocre for the industry. Ultimately, its a good place to get your feet wet and have a little fun, but the novelty will wear off quick once the realization sets in that there is no chance at development or movement in the company.

Advice to Management

Consider some long term planning and

10. Lovely

Former Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MO

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

really relaxed workplace. Really I'm only reviewing them so I can unlock the rest of this site

Cons

growing very very quickly! Can be hard to

Advice to Management

holla

11. Extremely positive.

Current Employee - Post Closing in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Post Closing in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans (More than a year)

Pros

The managers are terrific and they have integrity.

Cons

There are lots of changes o keep up with, but that goes with the industry.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

RSS Feed </> Embed