Veterans United Home Loans

112 reviews filtered by
4.2
Veterans United Home Loans CEO Nate Long
Nate Long

Pros
  • Benefits - Catered lunch on Mondays, Casual Dress, Strong emphasis on work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• We have flexible hours and a very casual dress code which allows me to work when it's most convenient, which is ideal as a student (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • com is that they are hiring people so fast it is very hard to keep up with every and there new positions (in 4 reviews)

• It is a fast growing company so people are constantly getting moved and shuffled around (in 5 reviews)

1. it was great

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans

Pros

Fantastic company with great benefits a great environment that has a family atmosphere and work with you when you feel unsuccessful.

Cons

Can be very stressful and work is very fast paced so make sure to know your strengths beforehand.

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing. The company is booming and it is helping veterans on a daily basis.

2. Customer Service Specialist (Call Center)

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have met some of the most amazing people at this company! VU is such a community workplace. The way that the company treats its employees is unparalleled. I work in the call center and the atmosphere is always fun and upbeat but also relaxed. The management is very constructive and never negative. The company has events all the time to celebrate achievements and the employees and they never disappoint.

There are PLENTY of opportunities to move up in the company. Starting in the call center is a great way to get your foot in the door, for VERY decent pay in an entry level position.

I found out I was pregnant about 4 weeks after I started and my manager's first words when I told him were "That's so awesome! Congrats!" (VU has 5 weeks of paid maternity leave btw!) They are so positive here! If you have a chance to work here, DO NOT SAY NO!

Cons

No cons to think of as long as you are willing to do the work and live by the VU values. I've been here for 8 months and I still love it just as much as when I started!

Advice to Management

Keep doing everything you do to make this job amazing!

3. Account Manager

Former Employee - Account Manager in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love what they stand for and how they work with the community. I enjoyed knowing that I was actually benefiting a Veteran either with community service or getting them into their home. There were many rewarding things if you were able to fully do your job.

Cons

Very unorganized and lack the compensation for work done. I was there for 7 months and my training was always the last priority. By the time I left I wasn't even able to fully do what my job requirements asked. I was short changed on my experience there.

Advice to Management

Ensure your training is complete for all employees. Reward employees when they go above and beyond. If you give your employees the tools to succeed they will pay you back in dividends with loyalty and ambition. If Senior Management would address the issues in the Lenexa office and not just let them skate by, there would be a big turn around. When I was there upper management merely turned a blind eye to all the standing issues.

5. Very busy, yet still encouraged to indulge time in success and fundraising.

Former Employee - Loan Officer Assistant to Branch Manager in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Loan Officer Assistant to Branch Manager in Addison, TX

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun environment. Great benefits. Business keeps growing and growing. It's a wonderful place to work and feeling that you can approach upper management with concerns and they offer positive feedback often to employees.

Cons

Our Branch Closed. Our Branch Closed.Our Branch Closed.Our Branch Closed.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you have! It's a wonderful place to work and feeling that you can approach upper management, I feel is a key to your success.

6. Passionate, Enhancing and Fun!

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love working for such an amazing company. Supervisors and co-workers are amazingly supportive and it's a joy to see smiles every day when I get to the office. The CEO of the company is down-to-earth and every other "higher-up" I've met has been incredible!

Cons

Absolutely none! This is a great place to work.

7. Very rewarding, fast paced environment.

Current Employee - Transaction Coordinator in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Transaction Coordinator in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company doesn't treat their values as just words, they live them out everyday. It is also very rewarding that we get the opportunity to serve those that have served our country. I also am at the Columbia location which is the corporate headquarters and I think that it's cool to see the CEO and other high ups and daily basis.

Cons

The workload can be a little overwhelming at times but to me that just means work stability.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on.

8. An amazing culture to develop professionally in.

Current Intern - Display Advertising in Columbia, MO
    Current Intern - Display Advertising in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

As a marketing intern, I was still felt my work made an impact in the company. I gained many useful skills that I can take with me as I move to different jobs. The culture and people give you motivation to not only work hard, but enjoy yourself while you do.

Cons

Work on the communication between different departments.

9. Wow

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans

Pros

Hands down the best company to work for. Work hard play hard. They treat employees like gold. Anyone with a negative attitude is likely too green in the professional world to understand 99% of companies don't treat employees like this. Did I mention we serve our Vets every day? What can be more rewarding than that?

Cons

When I hear someone complain the free snack machine is out of chips... Seriously?

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people.

10. Get a little experience and move on

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good company to start & get experience
    -Host lots of family oriented events
    -Free lunches (though not weekly like used to be)
    -Do great work for a great cause (veterans)

Cons

There is no long term planning at the company. For upper management, long term means about 7 days. There is mass hiring, followed by lay offs, followed a few days later by more hiring to replace the people laid off. Saw this cycle multiple times while there. It was disappointing see some quality co-workers get let go or moved to another role to make room for a relative or friend of management. Benefits and compensation are mediocre for the industry.
    Ultimately, its a good place to get your feet wet and have a little fun, but the novelty will wear off quick once the realization sets in that there is no chance at development or movement in the company.

Advice to Management

Consider some long term planning and

11. Loan Officer job is more than meets the eye.

Current Employee - Loan Officer in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Casual work environment is nice. Like the other LO's I work with. Local underwriting team is wonderful. Leads provided so you can focus on production.

Cons

File processing team is far below par. Difficult to work with individual processors as well as managers. Lack of consistency in accountability between departments. Managers are unprofessional in their handling of HR matters. Lack of clarity in job descriptions and responsibility. Seems to be purposeful to paying full commissions due to all responsibility landing on LO's although they have the least control over outcomes.

Advice to Management

Accountability should be even handed. Write things down. Hold executive team and operations team to same standard as production.

Veterans United Home Loans Photos