Veterans United Home Loans

Updated December 5, 2014
4.1

Veterans United Home Loans CEO Nate Long
Nate Long

Pros
  • Benefits - Catered lunch on Mondays, Casual Dress, Strong emphasis on work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• We have flexible hours and a very casual dress code which allows me to work when it's most convenient, which is ideal as a student (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • com is that they are hiring people so fast it is very hard to keep up with every and there new positions (in 4 reviews)

• It is a fast growing company so people are constantly getting moved and shuffled around (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Lovely

Former Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MO

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

really relaxed workplace. Really I'm only reviewing them so I can unlock the rest of this site

Cons

growing very very quickly! Can be hard to

holla

Approach With Caution

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans

Pros

Friendly co-workers; casual dress, fun activities.

Cons

Quality of management varies by department. It truly is an "at-will" employment arrangement.

Pay attention as to why good employees leave.

Great company, highly inexperienced managers that lack accountability

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The charitable arm of Veterans United (Veterans United Foundation) and the Corporate Office (known as "Home Office") is fantastic. The majority of the management team is very supportive and continually demonstrates their commitment by going above and beyond. Overall, it appears that the executive team and division leaders (at Home Office) all have a true passion for the cause and it's a shame that a few bad apples completely ruined what many of us felt was the opportunity of a lifetime to work for an incredible company that truly deserves to be an industry leader.

Cons

The executive team is very disconnected from the actual branches. Our "leaders" that were responsible for guiding us within our market were very unethical and got away with very unfavorable business practices. As other reviewers previously stated, Veterans United should immediately terminate employees for unethical and compromising patterns of behavior. After exposing our team to a great deal of stress and countless internal audits and investigations, the decision was finally made to terminate several of the individuals that were setting us back from flourishing. Sadly enough, these changes occurred far too late and many of our team members were essentially forced to resign due to the unstable environment, lack of support and sheer ignorance on behalf of management. In the end, the unethical employees were terminated but it is a shame so many others previously resigned and the changes we not initiated sooner.

Survey your employees consistently about management to fully understand where you stand in terms of both culture and leadership. If the majority of your employees express similar discontent with leadership than I recommend you make immediate adjustments. Nearly our entire team of employees felt grossly ignored and isolated and this provided a deep sense of distrust and uncertainty amongst the team. As much as we tried to remain positive and supportive as a team, the lack of trust in immediate leadership set us up for failure. Many employees began expressing their concerns within the community because they wanted to disassociate themselves from terrible people that just so happened to be the decision makers and leaders of the branch. The employees were constantly placed on the defensive and that environment quickly became toxic and counter-productive.

With all of that being said, all of the former employees who have since resigned thank you for making the right decision and continue to support your wonderful foundation and cause. It is bitter sweet that we cannot be a part of what should have been an incredible career, (not to mention one of your strongest operations). Despite the outcome, I still wish Veterans United continued success and an incredible future --- they deserve it and I strongly believe in all they do and continue to do.

Veterans United Home Loans Response

Nov 26, 2014HR Representative

We sincerely regret to hear you your experience while working at Veterans United was not as positive as we’d like, but we honestly respect and are grateful for your feedback. As you stated in your ... More

Extremely positive.

Current Employee - Post Closing in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Post Closing in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans (more than an year)

Pros

The managers are terrific and they have integrity.

Cons

There are lots of changes o keep up with, but that goes with the industry.

Keep up the good work

I will never find a better employer

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture is second to none. Every Exec makes an effort to get to know each and every employee

Cons

I did not enjoy the mortgage business.

You guys are doing a great job.

Easily the Best Place I Have Worked in Columbia

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Fantastic co-workers, great values, relaxed work environment.

Cons

Cannot think of anything negative that stands out.

Keep up the great work!

Rewarding but hard work

Current Employee - Loan Officer in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, flexible hours, work environment

Cons

50+ hours per week
    Stressful
    Pressure to hit numbers

Freindly environment

Former Employee - Web Developer in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Columbia, MO

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, catered lunch Fridays, in house masseuse, many opportunities to advance.

Cons

Very few cons actually, the management is easy to work with and the co-workers are great - I hada far better experience here than almost anywhere else I've worked

A Company that Cares for People.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This was one of the best internships I've ever had. Veterans United goes above and beyond to serve those who serve, but it is also very good at serving its employees. The company values are always a top priority, and coming to work is fun. There is always something to look forward to, whether it's an upcoming company event or the Foundation giving away a smart home to a deserving veteran, Veterans United is a place you can be proud to say you work. People are nice and enthusiastic, and managers really care about helping their interns be successful.

Cons

Sometimes the work can be redundant, but there is always room for creativity when it comes to making a process better.

Good company for early experience

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans

Pros

Great for young employees to learn the ropes, especially for marketing. The marketing team is one of the best you'll find in the midwest.

Cons

Scaled up quickly so lost some of the touch from early days. Sometimes keeps around deadweight that should be cut.

Stay focused on culture. It's what got you to where you are. If someone isn't working out, don't be afraid to cut them.

Veterans United Home Loans Photos