Veterans United Home Loans

Veterans United Home Loans Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Veterans United Home Loans CEO Nate Long

Nate Long

Pros:
  • "Benefits - Catered lunch on Mondays, Casual Dress, Strong emphasis on work/life balance"
    in 12 reviews
  • "We have flexible hours and a very casual dress code which allows me to work when it's most convenient, which is ideal as a student"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "com is that they are hiring people so fast it is very hard to keep up with every and there new positions"
    in 4 reviews
  • "It is a fast growing company so people are constantly getting moved and shuffled around"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Freindly environment

Web Developer (Former Employee)
    Columbia, MO

ProsGreat co-workers, catered lunch Fridays, in house masseuse, many opportunities to advance.

ConsVery few cons actually, the management is easy to work with and the co-workers are great - I hada far better experience here than almost anywhere else I've worked

A Company that Cares for People.

Columbia, MO

ProsThis was one of the best internships I've ever had. Veterans United goes above and beyond to serve those who serve, but it is also very good at serving its employees. The company values are always a top priority, and coming to work is fun. There is always something to look forward to, whether it's an upcoming company event or the Foundation giving away a smart home to a deserving veteran, Veterans United is a place you can be proud to say you work. People are nice and enthusiastic, and managers really care about helping their interns be successful.

ConsSometimes the work can be redundant, but there is always room for creativity when it comes to making a process better.

Good company for early experience

ProsGreat for young employees to learn the ropes, especially for marketing. The marketing team is one of the best you'll find in the midwest.

ConsScaled up quickly so lost some of the touch from early days. Sometimes keeps around deadweight that should be cut.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused on culture. It's what got you to where you are. If someone isn't working out, don't be afraid to cut them.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is an incredible place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree Monday lunches, free snacks, fun Company events, caring co-workers

ConsLower compensation to start, parking can be tricky

Advice to Senior ManagementNever change how you operate, it is great!

Awesome place to work with great people

Web Developer (Current Employee)

ProsThey really care about you as a person and an employee. Fun place to work. People are very nice. Veterans United Home Loans makes sure you're comfortable. And if you are not for any reason they really want to know.

ConsThere can be an exclusionary feeling among some people around the office. Also some people have become comfortable with their job and complain when huge perks like free food and candy go away.

Company that cares about its employees

ProsPromote a good balance between work and home.

ConsFast growing, lots of changes.

A fine place to work because you help veterans and their loved ones find home loans

Intern (Current Employee)
    Columbia, MO

ProsThe management is very open to ideas and astute. Their marketing and its team is great.

ConsIt's only a first-world problem: No more "Free Lunch Mondays," which means a free, catered lunch was available every Monday.

Our branch was bought out by them and it turned into too much "slow" corporate transition and growing pains.

Loan Officer Assistant (Former Employee)
    Addison, TX

ProsThey make the environment fun at the corporate office in MO; however that's hard to feel a part of while in TX.

ConsPay became too cookie-cutter, meaning, less because of actual title versus the years of experience that had already been put in prior to them assuming our branch. When our branch closed there was no place for me to continue my job.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen our branch closed there was no place for me to continue my job.

Great people and values but not for me

Loan Officer (Former Employee)
    Columbia, MO

ProsThe people here for the most part are great. Hours are flexible and there is a nice work-life balance if you are meeting your goals. On the job luxuries such as the stocked kitchen and TVs are nice to have around. VU really has their values defined and constantly remind you of them.

ConsI became very bored with my position as a loan originator. It is easy to get into an auto-pilot mode on some days as you roll through one call after the next. Their values, "Enhancing lives, etc." sound great, but my position was to be on the phone in a cubicle and I only worked with clients at the start of their loan process. Thus, I never experienced that feeling of making a difference that seems to be of great importance to the rest of the company.
    Also, I can't forget about the amount of training/studying one has to do. The regulations in the mortgage industry change constantly and it can be tiresome after studying for a seemingly endless amount of tests for different states.
    I would recommend VU to a friend based on your potential to make some great money and meet some awesome people. However, the cubicle-life and staring at a computer screen for hours on end wasn't my calling.

Advice to Senior ManagementA mentor program for interns would have been nice. The job required a huge amount of information and while it was fine bouncing knowledge off other interns when you had questions, having an experienced employee to go to when you needed answers would have been beneficial.

Veterans United Home Loans, Columbia Mo

ProsPeople, Culture, values, location, environment

ConsForecasting department is not the greatest.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet serious, cut out the unnecessary stuf

Worked for Veterans United Home Loans? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Veterans United Home Loans reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Veterans United Home Loans CEO Nate Long. All 94 reviews posted anonymously by Veterans United Home Loans employees.