Veterans United Home Loans

Updated July 22, 2014

4.1

Veterans United Home Loans CEO Nate Long
Nate Long

Pros
  • Benefits - Catered lunch on Mondays, Casual Dress, Strong emphasis on work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• We have flexible hours and a very casual dress code which allows me to work when it's most convenient, which is ideal as a student (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • com is that they are hiring people so fast it is very hard to keep up with every and there new positions (in 4 reviews)

• It is a fast growing company so people are constantly getting moved and shuffled around (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I will never find a better employer

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture is second to none. Every Exec makes an effort to get to know each and every employee

Cons

I did not enjoy the mortgage business.

You guys are doing a great job.

Easily the Best Place I Have Worked in Columbia

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Fantastic co-workers, great values, relaxed work environment.

Cons

Cannot think of anything negative that stands out.

Keep up the great work!

Rewarding but hard work

Current Employee - Loan Officer  in  Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay, flexible hours, work environment

Cons

50+ hours per week
    Stressful
    Pressure to hit numbers

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Freindly environment

Former Employee - Web Developer  in  Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Columbia, MO

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, catered lunch Fridays, in house masseuse, many opportunities to advance.

Cons

Very few cons actually, the management is easy to work with and the co-workers are great - I hada far better experience here than almost anywhere else I've worked

A Company that Cares for People.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans as an intern for less than a year

Pros

This was one of the best internships I've ever had. Veterans United goes above and beyond to serve those who serve, but it is also very good at serving its employees. The company values are always a top priority, and coming to work is fun. There is always something to look forward to, whether it's an upcoming company event or the Foundation giving away a smart home to a deserving veteran, Veterans United is a place you can be proud to say you work. People are nice and enthusiastic, and managers really care about helping their interns be successful.

Cons

Sometimes the work can be redundant, but there is always room for creativity when it comes to making a process better.

Good company for early experience

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans

Pros

Great for young employees to learn the ropes, especially for marketing. The marketing team is one of the best you'll find in the midwest.

Cons

Scaled up quickly so lost some of the touch from early days. Sometimes keeps around deadweight that should be cut.

Stay focused on culture. It's what got you to where you are. If someone isn't working out, don't be afraid to cut them.

This is an incredible place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free Monday lunches, free snacks, fun Company events, caring co-workers

Cons

Lower compensation to start, parking can be tricky

Never change how you operate, it is great!

Great people and values but not for me

Former Employee - Loan Officer  in  Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in Columbia, MO

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people here for the most part are great. Hours are flexible and there is a nice work-life balance if you are meeting your goals. On the job luxuries such as the stocked kitchen and TVs are nice to have around. VU really has their values defined and constantly remind you of them.

Cons

I became very bored with my position as a loan originator. It is easy to get into an auto-pilot mode on some days as you roll through one call after the next. Their values, "Enhancing lives, etc." sound great, but my position was to be on the phone in a cubicle and I only worked with clients at the start of their loan process. Thus, I never experienced that feeling of making a difference that seems to be of great importance to the rest of the company.
    Also, I can't forget about the amount of training/studying one has to do. The regulations in the mortgage industry change constantly and it can be tiresome after studying for a seemingly endless amount of tests for different states.
    I would recommend VU to a friend based on your potential to make some great money and meet some awesome people. However, the cubicle-life and staring at a computer screen for hours on end wasn't my calling.

A mentor program for interns would have been nice. The job required a huge amount of information and while it was fine bouncing knowledge off other interns when you had questions, having an experienced employee to go to when you needed answers would have been beneficial.

Our branch was bought out by them and it turned into too much "slow" corporate transition and growing pains.

Former Employee - Loan Officer Assistant  in  Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Loan Officer Assistant in Addison, TX

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They make the environment fun at the corporate office in MO; however that's hard to feel a part of while in TX.

Cons

Pay became too cookie-cutter, meaning, less because of actual title versus the years of experience that had already been put in prior to them assuming our branch. When our branch closed there was no place for me to continue my job.

When our branch closed there was no place for me to continue my job.

Awesome place to work with great people

Current Employee - Web Developer
    Current Employee - Web Developer

Pros

They really care about you as a person and an employee. Fun place to work. People are very nice. Veterans United Home Loans makes sure you're comfortable. And if you are not for any reason they really want to know.

Cons

There can be an exclusionary feeling among some people around the office. Also some people have become comfortable with their job and complain when huge perks like free food and candy go away.

Worked for Veterans United Home Loans? Contribute to the Community!