Veterans United Home Loans

Updated February 26, 2015
3.9

Veterans United Home Loans CEO Nate Long
Nate Long

Pros
  • Benefits - Catered lunch on Mondays, Casual Dress, Strong emphasis on work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• We have flexible hours and a very casual dress code which allows me to work when it's most convenient, which is ideal as a student (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • com is that they are hiring people so fast it is very hard to keep up with every and there new positions (in 4 reviews)

• It is a fast growing company so people are constantly getting moved and shuffled around (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Passionate, Enhancing and Fun!

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love working for such an amazing company. Supervisors and co-workers are amazingly supportive and it's a joy to see smiles every day when I get to the office. The CEO of the company is down-to-earth and every other "higher-up" I've met has been incredible!

Cons

Absolutely none! This is a great place to work.

Very rewarding, fast paced environment.

Current Employee - Transaction Coordinator in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Transaction Coordinator in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This company doesn't treat their values as just words, they live them out everyday. It is also very rewarding that we get the opportunity to serve those that have served our country. I also am at the Columbia location which is the corporate headquarters and I think that it's cool to see the CEO and other high ups and daily basis.

Cons

The workload can be a little overwhelming at times but to me that just means work stability.

Keep on keepin' on.

An amazing culture to develop professionally in.

Current Intern - Display Advertising in Columbia, MO
    Current Intern - Display Advertising in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

As a marketing intern, I was still felt my work made an impact in the company. I gained many useful skills that I can take with me as I move to different jobs. The culture and people give you motivation to not only work hard, but enjoy yourself while you do.

Cons

Work on the communication between different departments.

Wow

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans

Pros

Hands down the best company to work for. Work hard play hard. They treat employees like gold. Anyone with a negative attitude is likely too green in the professional world to understand 99% of companies don't treat employees like this. Did I mention we serve our Vets every day? What can be more rewarding than that?

Cons

When I hear someone complain the free snack machine is out of chips... Seriously?

Keep investing in your people.

Loan Officer job is more than meets the eye.

Current Employee - Loan Officer in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Casual work environment is nice. Like the other LO's I work with. Local underwriting team is wonderful. Leads provided so you can focus on production.

Cons

File processing team is far below par. Difficult to work with individual processors as well as managers. Lack of consistency in accountability between departments. Managers are unprofessional in their handling of HR matters. Lack of clarity in job descriptions and responsibility. Seems to be purposeful to paying full commissions due to all responsibility landing on LO's although they have the least control over outcomes.

Accountability should be even handed. Write things down. Hold executive team and operations team to same standard as production.

Get a little experience and move on

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Good company to start & get experience
    -Host lots of family oriented events
    -Free lunches (though not weekly like used to be)
    -Do great work for a great cause (veterans)

Cons

There is no long term planning at the company. For upper management, long term means about 7 days. There is mass hiring, followed by lay offs, followed a few days later by more hiring to replace the people laid off. Saw this cycle multiple times while there. It was disappointing see some quality co-workers get let go or moved to another role to make room for a relative or friend of management. Benefits and compensation are mediocre for the industry.
    Ultimately, its a good place to get your feet wet and have a little fun, but the novelty will wear off quick once the realization sets in that there is no chance at development or movement in the company.

Consider some long term planning and

Great perks, but prepare to be overworked

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

What VU does is awesome, helping serve those who have served the country. The foundation we have does amazing things, not only for veterans, but for local people and for the employees. Everyone at VU is very family oriented and its really easy to make close friends here. The way the company treas the employees with perks and company events is a rarity in the corporate world. The pay is pretty decent, depending on your position. Most departments do live up to the company value of "be passionate and have fun",

Cons

Processing in particular has had a very rough time keeping up with production demands. As soon as one part of the department is adequately staffed, another part is grossly understaffed due to moving people around too much. Its not uncommon for people to work 50-60 hour weeks, plus mandatory weekends on top of that. The executive leadership of the company does genuinely care about their employees, but I feel like the message doesn't filter down through the levels of management to make the people who actually do all the work to close the loans feel appreciated enough. The communication from management tends to be lacking as well. There is hardly any opportunity for growth, and often it seems like you have to be buddies with the hiring manager to get promoted, even if other people had better credentials.

Promote people who have the right skills, not just the ones who are the best producers or good friends. Communicate more with the state of the departments

On the fence.

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans

Pros

Fun, flexible environment that allows good work life balance.

Cons

Not room for development for everyone, namely production. Only interested in developing middle management.

Reach out.

Approach With Caution

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans

Pros

Friendly co-workers; casual dress, fun activities.

Cons

Quality of management varies by department. It truly is an "at-will" employment arrangement.

Pay attention as to why good employees leave.

Lovely

Former Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MO

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (more than a year)

Pros

really relaxed workplace. Really I'm only reviewing them so I can unlock the rest of this site

Cons

growing very very quickly! Can be hard to

holla