Veterans United Home Loans

Veterans United Home Loans Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Veterans United Home Loans CEO Nate Long

Nate Long

Pros:
  • "Benefits - Catered lunch on Mondays, Casual Dress, Strong emphasis on work/life balance"
    in 12 reviews
  • "We have flexible hours and a very casual dress code which allows me to work when it's most convenient, which is ideal as a student"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "com is that they are hiring people so fast it is very hard to keep up with every and there new positions"
    in 4 reviews
  • "It is a fast growing company so people are constantly getting moved and shuffled around"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company for early experience

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans

ProsGreat for young employees to learn the ropes, especially for marketing. The marketing team is one of the best you'll find in the midwest.

ConsScaled up quickly so lost some of the touch from early days. Sometimes keeps around deadweight that should be cut.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused on culture. It's what got you to where you are. If someone isn't working out, don't be afraid to cut them.

This is an incredible place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time for more than a year

ProsFree Monday lunches, free snacks, fun Company events, caring co-workers

ConsLower compensation to start, parking can be tricky

Advice to Senior ManagementNever change how you operate, it is great!

Awesome place to work with great people

Web Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time for more than a year

ProsThey really care about you as a person and an employee. Fun place to work. People are very nice. Veterans United Home Loans makes sure you're comfortable. And if you are not for any reason they really want to know.

ConsThere can be an exclusionary feeling among some people around the office. Also some people have become comfortable with their job and complain when huge perks like free food and candy go away.

Company that cares about its employees

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans

ProsPromote a good balance between work and home.

ConsFast growing, lots of changes.

A fine place to work because you help veterans and their loved ones find home loans

Intern (Current Employee)
Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe management is very open to ideas and astute. Their marketing and its team is great.

ConsIt's only a first-world problem: No more "Free Lunch Mondays," which means a free, catered lunch was available every Monday.

Our branch was bought out by them and it turned into too much "slow" corporate transition and growing pains.

Loan Officer Assistant (Former Employee)
Addison, TX

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey make the environment fun at the corporate office in MO; however that's hard to feel a part of while in TX.

ConsPay became too cookie-cutter, meaning, less because of actual title versus the years of experience that had already been put in prior to them assuming our branch. When our branch closed there was no place for me to continue my job.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen our branch closed there was no place for me to continue my job.

Great people and values but not for me

Loan Officer (Former Employee)

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe people here for the most part are great. Hours are flexible and there is a nice work-life balance if you are meeting your goals. On the job luxuries such as the stocked kitchen and TVs are nice to have around. VU really has their values defined and constantly remind you of them.

ConsI became very bored with my position as a loan originator. It is easy to get into an auto-pilot mode on some days as you roll through one call after the next. Their values, "Enhancing lives, etc." sound great, but my position was to be on the phone in a cubicle and I only worked with clients at the start of their loan process. Thus, I never experienced that feeling of making a difference that seems to be of great importance to the rest of the company.
Also, I can't forget about the amount of training/studying one has to do. The regulations in the mortgage industry change constantly and it can be tiresome after studying for a seemingly endless amount of tests for different states.
I would recommend VU to a friend based on your potential to make some great money and meet some awesome people. However, the cubicle-life and staring at a computer screen for hours on end wasn't my calling.

Advice to Senior ManagementA mentor program for interns would have been nice. The job required a huge amount of information and while it was fine bouncing knowledge off other interns when you had questions, having an experienced employee to go to when you needed answers would have been beneficial.

Veterans United Home Loans, Columbia Mo

ProsPeople, Culture, values, location, environment

ConsForecasting department is not the greatest.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet serious, cut out the unnecessary stuf

Even though there has been a lot of recechanges within the company, it is still the best company I have ever worked for.

Processing (Current Employee)
Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLots of perks. Most managers seem to really care about their employees. The company is very family oriented. Employees are expected to work hard and most employees are passionate about their jobs.

ConsSeem to be unorganized at times and I feel like changes aren't always thought through. Company-wide communication is also lacking.

Best Company in Columbia

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

ProsVeterans United is forward-thinking. They hire extremely high caliber people and are rapid to change, which scares some people away but is actually refreshing. There is not some huge bureaucratic process that has to happen for change to take place. The executives are oriented towards the future of the company and committed to employing only the best people. The culture is fun and the work is rewarding.

ConsSlackers beware--if you don't work hard, you'll get let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to have paternity leave, but the free health benefits are really nice. Encourage your employees to grow by continuing to offer opportunities like lunch & learns, small groups, and volunteer opportunities but also consider more leadership and development training for non-managers.

Worked for Veterans United Home Loans? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Veterans United Home Loans reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Veterans United Home Loans CEO Nate Long. All 92 reviews posted anonymously by Veterans United Home Loans employees.