Vi-Jon

Jerry Bowe

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Stepping Stone

Maintenance (Current Employee) Smyrna, TN

ProsOvertime available when you want it
    Not stressful
    Great Culture
    Decent starting salary
    Paid holidays
    Great benefits
    Fellow employees are great

ConsNeeds better upper management communication
    Policies change frequently, lots of uncertainty in company policy.
    Can be overworked at times.
    No continuity between shifts

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistency, Consistency, Consistency

I am an underused employee with no room for growth

Production Supervisor (Current Employee) Smyrna, TN

ProsGood benefits and fair compensation

ConsLack of structure, poor communtication between management and production

Advice to Senior ManagementLack of growth in all levels and positions

Not the place it used to be...

Supervisor (Former Employee) Smyrna, TN

ProsThe fellow employees are very nice and really care about doing a good job for the company. If you like overtime, you can get as much as you want because something is always breaking causing Saturday and sometimes Sunday overtime.

ConsYou are always in the dark about what is coming next and there are constant rumors. Friday morning surprise... you have to work the weekend which is great if you need the overtime then but really hurts when you have to cancel plans with your family at the last minute.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are far too many chiefs and not enough Indians. You may be saving a buck by filling the place with temporary operators but they have often have a temporary mindset. Full time operators don't want to make a mistake today that will come back on them next month but the temp may not be there next month.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is a job not a career!

Formulation Chemist (Current Employee) Smyrna, TN

ProsFriendly employees who seem to care about the company

ConsThe management seem very reactive to situations instead of being proactive

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to value your employees and be more proactive

Poor Salary and Advancement Expectations

Formulation Technician (Former Employee) Smyrna, TN

ProsStable, low impact work environment creates a very low stress day to day workflow.
    Consistant hours (8AM to 5PM)
    Flexible schedule

ConsLow compensation for expected knowledge base.
    Poor expectations set in regards to opportunities for advancement.
    Company politics take precedence over work quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet expectations appropriately for employees regarding salary and internal career opportunities.
    Consider developing low performing employees to match high performers, as well as encourage overall career growth.
    Develop managers and department leads to recognize talent and potential over verbal pleasantries and politics.

Executive management did not have a clue. Completely different cultures in MO and TN

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Smyrna, TN

ProsPay is average to above average

ConsMiserable environment. Flavor of the month management with no strategic direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave

Somewhat okay place to work

Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) Smyrna, TN

ProsFamily friendly envrioment, balance between home and work
    Close to home

ConsConsistency
    Treatment of all the team
    mostly focused on the manufacturing

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that the other departments other than manufacturing. Hold all groups to the same standards, note that it takes all the departments to make the company profitable.

So much opportunity, so many challenges

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Smyrna, TN

ProsThe leadership now has a vision and seems to be staying the course. The new CEO is approachable. New local Hr team doing good, always helpful. My manager cares about me and asks for feedback and doesn't retaliate. VP has knowledge of the business and has been in my shoes.

ConsCEO is not represented well by his leadership team with the exception of a few. Employees are not supported at all by corporate Hr, they don't even know their own policies (probably because the policies are different depending on if you work in MO or TN) and show favoritism, glad to get a local person who hopefully doesn't report to Hr leader. Big lack of training, no one here on the weekends but production. Management doesn't address other shift's problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key to raising morale. You need to address the employees in corporate leadership who do things based on what benefits them rather than the company. This company is successful in spite of the their bad decisions, imagine what it would look like if you put people in their place that actually cared about the business, told the truth and didn't tie the hands of the people trying to get things done.

Company needs strategic focus; defined leadership

Customer Service Account Manager (Former Employee) Smyrna, TN

ProsGood learning experience right out of college; great coworkers who wanted the company to change for the better. Flexible if you had an appt. (make up time at end of shift)

ConsSt. Louis & Smyrna facilities don't meet eye to eye on anything; company needs defined leadership; below market pay; limited career opportunities to advance

Advice to Senior ManagementDefine products you can service well; focus on strategic accounts; rationalize the business with accounts you cannot service well instead of leading them along.

Limited development opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Smyrna, TN

ProsThere are great people working at Vi-Jon

ConsNo real direction, this is a company that cycles through C-Level executives like they are going out of style. Unfortunately for their workforce, each executive brought a different direction, creating a vicious cycle of lost productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a path and stay the course. Value the workforce you have in place. Focus on employee morale and engagement.

Worked for Vi-Jon? Contribute to the Community!