ViPS

Dan Johnson

It's Okay

Supervisor (Current Employee) Waco, TX

ProsGreat co-workers, Supervisors, & Management Team

ConsSr. Management a lot of times really didn't care how

Good company to work for

IT Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLarge company - good benefits

ConsGDIT is not winning very many bids anymore. Growth is mostly be acquisition, buying small dynamic companies

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp employees to transfer within the company, It is easier to find a new job with a new employer than to transfer.

Overall Pretty Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation is better than average.

ConsBeware of working for GD as a contractor. There is no guarantee the contract will last as long as they tell you it will.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt all boils down to how well and how quick your workers line your pockets with no loyalty for the workers who go above and beyond to do an exceptional job.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overview of General Dynamics IT, Towson Office

Software Automation Intern (Current Employee) Towson, MD

ProsGreat organization that can help you grow in terms of team objective assignments

ConsBad management which needs some lessons on learning on how to develop people and help them grow within the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to learn how to lead.

Past Experience

Principal Field Technician (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat company to work for; great people to work with; I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 years at General Dynamics; they even trained and sent me to school. I worked in 3 different areas and enjoyed all personnel all of the time. I still have friendships with some of the people I worked with even though I know live in a different city and state.

ConsI really cannot remember any negatives except when the stock started falling and losing in the 401k area. I hope they make it easier to turn people around because one lady in Virginia Beach was moved twice and still could not get along with people.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize TQM. It is a great system and works well for everyone. I see it all the time that it can be very helpful to a a lot of companies especially companies that are stuck in the way they do things for example: my son works for an auto dealership and they are stuck in doing things one way and one way only and they fail miserable on a daily basis.

My Time At Vips

ProsSet hours. Decent pay. Friendly co-workers and mgmt.

ConsConstantly reassured that contract would be flipped to full time employee as soon as ink dried on merger, along with several other contractors. Ink dried and faded, and we were never flipped. Then GDIT/Vips lost the contract rebid, and the contractors were obviously not a priority.

Great people

ProsFantastic community of people to work with, insurance options are okay, casual dress, flex time and some positions allow telecommuting.

ConsSalary increases are a joke, promotional opportunities lacking, being good at your job does not guarantee you will be able to move up in the organization, no SICK time, crappy vacation time, management does not recognize educational achievement, some managers not qualified and have horrible people skills

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better health insurance options, bring back sick time, recognize those who complete training by promoting and paying better, listen to employees, mentor those with leadership potentional.

Worked for ViPS? Contribute to the Community!