ViXS

Updated November 14, 2014

Sally J. Daub

40 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sharing my two cents

Current Employee - Senior Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I joined the company in March 2001, and now the senior director of algorithms team. With this information, many ViXS employees may know who I am.
    There are very different opinions about the company here in the glass door website, and I’m feeling very sad to see those bad ones. But I can understand some of them: He or she has been working very hard for the past a few years, but ViXS is not doing as great as expected yet.
    I think it’s normal that any company has ups and downs. But what shall we do? My suggestion is: follow your heart. For those of you who are unhappy, please let me quote from a friend of mine, who has also left, “I've made many friends for life here at ViXS”, maybe it’s a good time to move on and find a better opportunity, you have my best wishes. And for those of you who have faith in the company, keep up your spirits, ViXS depends on you.
    With the very successful HEVC decoder release and promising chips in the roadmap, I have confidence.

Cons

There was a big layoff in Feb 2013, but the worst time has passed.

Keep up the morale of the employees

Professional staff, core technologies, moderate pressure environment, but no attention to management detail

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at ViXS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Possess really smart, professional and senior engineers, and core hardware technologies of SoC. Health care covered well and colleagues are grossly kind, easy-going and helpful

Cons

As a junior engineer in team, unclear responsibility reporting mechanism. It is not a modern entrepreneur's culture, but to say workshop's style.

Okay Place to Work

I worked at ViXS (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is alright
    Good work is praised and celebrated

Cons

High pressure work environment
    Management are too proud, difficult to get a hold of and even more difficult to deal with.

Take time to bring job satisfaction for the workers.

software engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

work life balance really depends on project and individual person,
    compensation is ok. time off policy is flexible.

Cons

don't know the value of this company yet, and company's culture as well.
    atmosphere in company is not so good. For employee, job is job and nothing more than that.

Not the best place to work at

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at ViXS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good technology, and some great colleagues.

Cons

No work-life balance. Employees are expected to work around the clock without questioning decisions made by management. Management appears clueless on pretty much every topic, be it project management, customer management, strategy, communication, organizational development and sales. Result - chaotic workplace where the employees find out every morning what is the "high" priority issues they should focus on that day.

Be proactive instead of being reactive, and consider getting some professional help to run the organization.

This company is managed like a mom 'n pop shop

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company is managed like a mom 'n pop shop where one makes all the ad hoc decisions and others sit in the corner yelling to get their way (unsuccessfully though). They have made a joke of what could have been a great Canadian success story. After 13 years of repeated failures, no one seems to have learned any lessons. They focus on the bare minimum survival to keep padding their own pockets for as long as possible.

Cons

Multiple architects quit recently to protest against the executives' unethical behavior. Most of us who are left are not motivated, most would rather focus on their kids, houses and mortgages. Some are smart enough to even start their own real estate business on the side.

Recent town-hall meeting reinforced the idea that management does not care about the company or the employees. The entire update lasted less than 2 minutes with absolutely no discussion of the technology road map because there is none. They keep making claims of future revenue with absolutely no proof.

New immigrants looking for their first job in Canada are hired as replacements to keep the existing employees' wages at rock bottom. Focus is on quantity (headcount) rather than quality. Consequently morale of the current employees suffers even further. Given a choice, most skilled employees will quit this company in a heartbeat like the architects who already did.

Sell the company. Current executives are too much vested in their own interests to make good decisions. The board needs to step in and make some hard decisions. Investors need to ask for details and proof. An independent audit of q3 books will provide enough ammunition to move ahead.

A Company with a lot of potential!

I have been working at ViXS full-time

Pros

Upper management made a lot of good decisions to bring the company to this level. I trust their ability to execute when the right opportunities come. Unfortunately there are not many in this space these days.

Cons

Morale is not as good as a couple years ago when the company was doing great. I believe it takes time to turn this around.

Less micro-management. More trust on your employees.

Very rewarding experiences working at ViXS

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A leading company in the field with awareness of environment and social conscience; very good working environment; friendly and cooperative team workers; excellent management by caring leaders; flexible working hours; good salary and compensation

Cons

Sometimes having to work around the clock to resolve an emergency situation may make you feel tedious; you may also have to occasionally adjust your working hours to a different time zone to work with people overseas

Fast growing company

I have been working at ViXS full-time

Pros

working with talent people, refresh with latest knowledge of technical edge, opportunities to taste different kinds of jobs, gain experiences quickly

Cons

the performance of this company is significantly affected by global economy. Employees always facing tight deadlines, stressful all the time, poor balance between life and career

Good people, challenging technology. Overall positive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time

Pros

Very smart and experienced people with extensive background and knowledge of the industry.
    Opportunities to work on cutting edge technology.
    Flexible working hours.
    Great work and team environment

Cons

Work life balance is not that great.
    Spend a lot of time in the office sometimes.