ViXS Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Sally J. Daub

This company seriously lacks leadership and direction

Current Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CEO was fired. No more non-work related, unnecessary expenses that slipped under the table. And the ex-CEO related hires, which are completely incompetent, can be fired next. This saves the company some $$.

Cons

COO is now interim CEO. Don't see how he can bring the company to a new level. Team chemistry will get even worse under him.

Advice to Management

Board of Directors: please hire a new CEO asap, who can set a new company direction and bring in some new management concepts.

I have been working at ViXS

Pros

Good place to learn if you try "hard" enough and go beyond your assigned tasks. I am in debt of this company in terms of skill sets I built up during my employments .

Cons

There is something fundamentally wrong in the top two level executive mentalities. You can obviously sense that CEO and CFO running exclusively company at their own best short term interests with no care about the long term goals, employees and sustainability.

Advice to Management

I dont have advice to the mid level management per se since they are executing orders coming from top but I do have advice to the investors and some members of board of directors. Try to restructure the executive management and specifically speaking COO Mr Hugh Chow to change the culture of company. The inefficiency all being injected from that level. The rest of the company has some values to pay off in the long run.

Professional staff, core technologies, moderate pressure environment, but no attention to management detail

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at ViXS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Possess really smart, professional and senior engineers, and core hardware technologies of SoC. Health care covered well and colleagues are grossly kind, easy-going and helpful

Cons

As a junior engineer in team, unclear responsibility reporting mechanism. It is not a modern entrepreneur's culture, but to say workshop's style.

Okay Place to Work

I worked at ViXS (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is alright Good work is praised and celebrated

Cons

High pressure work environment Management are too proud, difficult to get a hold of and even more difficult to deal with.

Advice to Management

Take time to bring job satisfaction for the workers.

software engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work life balance really depends on project and individual person, compensation is ok. time off policy is flexible.

Cons

don't know the value of this company yet, and company's culture as well. atmosphere in company is not so good. For employee, job is job and nothing more than that.

7. A REALLY good company worth to work for.

Former Employee - Software Architect in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Former Employee - Software Architect in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I worked at ViXS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The colleagues are nice. Management of software team is very experience in both technical and management, encouraging and nice to work with. For the other teams, little chance to work with but they are all skillful and clever guys. I worked in HK branch before and have a few month in headquarter. Both places are peaceful and comfortable to work in. Although work loading will be crazy in peak season, but it is still considered to be balance through the year. It is a kind of enjoy to have such challenge sometimes.

Cons

The benefit and salary are not really competitive. However, it is not that bad at all. Honest speaking, it is an agreememnt between company and employees. Once you agree for that, you can bargain with your boss, but should not complain. Or you can choose to leave if you think you deserve more. One recommendation for you if you are considerring to work in ViXS. Don't choose it if you are looking for a job which can give you a chance to be a millionaire while just siting in office waiting for the stock price goes up. Choose it if you enjoy to work on the bleeding edge of technology with a large amount of clever and nice guys.

Advice to Management

I am not management guy so not much advice I can give. Just keep on the good work and always think what you can do for the employee in their point of view. It should be always truth.

Not the best place to work at

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at ViXS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good technology, and some great colleagues.

Cons

No work-life balance. Employees are expected to work around the clock without questioning decisions made by management. Management appears clueless on pretty much every topic, be it project management, customer management, strategy, communication, organizational development and sales. Result - chaotic workplace where the employees find out every morning what is the "high" priority issues they should focus on that day.

Advice to Management

Be proactive instead of being reactive, and consider getting some professional help to run the organization.

Sharing my two cents

Current Employee - Senior Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I joined the company in March 2001, and now the senior director of algorithms team. With this information, many ViXS employees may know who I am. There are very different opinions about the company here in the glass door website, and I’m feeling very sad to see those bad ones. But I can understand some of them: He or she has been working very hard for the past a few years, but ViXS is not doing as great as expected yet. I think it’s normal that any company has ups and downs. But what shall we do? My suggestion is: follow your heart. For those of you who are unhappy, please let me quote from a friend of mine, who has also left, “I've made many friends for life here at ViXS”, maybe it’s a good time to move on and find a better opportunity, you have my best wishes. And for those of you who have faith in the company, keep up your spirits, ViXS depends on you. With the very successful HEVC decoder release and promising chips in the roadmap, I have confidence.

Cons

There was a big layoff in Feb 2013, but the worst time has passed.

Advice to Management

Keep up the morale of the employees

Software Engg

I have been working at ViXS

Pros

As per me, it's none.

Cons

There are many resons to list.

Advice to Management

Good company to work for... sometimes stressful

This company is managed like a mom 'n pop shop

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company is managed like a mom 'n pop shop where one makes all the ad hoc decisions and others sit in the corner yelling to get their way (unsuccessfully though). They have made a joke of what could have been a great Canadian success story. After 13 years of repeated failures, no one seems to have learned any lessons. They focus on the bare minimum survival to keep padding their own pockets for as long as possible.

Cons

Multiple architects quit recently to protest against the executives' unethical behavior. Most of us who are left are not motivated, most would rather focus on their kids, houses and mortgages. Some are smart enough to even start their own real estate business on the side. Recent town-hall meeting reinforced the idea that management does not care about the company or the employees. The entire update lasted less than 2 minutes with absolutely no discussion of the technology road map because there is none. They keep making claims of future revenue with absolutely no proof. New immigrants looking for their first job in Canada are hired as replacements to keep the existing employees' wages at rock bottom. Focus is on quantity (headcount) rather than quality. Consequently morale of the current employees suffers even further. Given a choice, most skilled employees will quit this company in a heartbeat like the architects who already did.

Advice to Management

Sell the company. Current executives are too much vested in their own interests to make good decisions. The board needs to step in and make some hard decisions. Investors need to ask for details and proof. An independent audit of q3 books will provide enough ammunition to move ahead.

RSS Feed </> Embed