ViXS

Updated November 14, 2014
Updated November 14, 2014
2.9

Sally J. Daub

Management focuses on squeezing every bit of you.

I have been working at ViXS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues are friendly and smart. Opportunity to work on the latest technologies. Good stepping stone for gaining experience to join a larger employer later.
    Flexible working hours.

Cons

Upper management takes advantage of staff. When they go IPO at a low price, they ask you to sign a voluntary paper to convert your higher price options to lower exercising price options, but your options vesting year resets to the current year. That means the number of options you can vest is the same as a new hire, even after working here for many years. Why not just keep the same vesting date? Why take back the options already vested to you?

The bonus given to staff is also a joke. It's just a small bonus, yet they ask you to agree that you must stay here for the next year else they take back the amount from you. C'mon, If people want to quit, no one cares about such a tiny amount anyway.

Managers commit to unrealistic timeline to you without discussing with you first. When you can't make the deadline, they blame you. There is also no appreciation from management even if you work very hard to meet the impossible deadline.

Stop taking advantage of your staff and when you give out options and bonuses, please be more generous and don't ask people to sign "retention agreement". It is just a tiny reward not huge investment bank bonuses!

Give out more information to your employees and stop hiding information. We are not dumb.

If you want to keep growing, you need to trust your employees. Do not micro-manage everything. Delegate to a good manager you trust.

If you're reading this website, please consider the negative reviews here seriously, rather than asking people to write fake positive reviews here.

Very rewarding experiences working at ViXS

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A leading company in the field with awareness of environment and social conscience; very good working environment; friendly and cooperative team workers; excellent management by caring leaders; flexible working hours; good salary and compensation

Cons

Sometimes having to work around the clock to resolve an emergency situation may make you feel tedious; you may also have to occasionally adjust your working hours to a different time zone to work with people overseas

Fast growing company

I have been working at ViXS full-time

Pros

working with talent people, refresh with latest knowledge of technical edge, opportunities to taste different kinds of jobs, gain experiences quickly

Cons

the performance of this company is significantly affected by global economy. Employees always facing tight deadlines, stressful all the time, poor balance between life and career

Good people, challenging technology. Overall positive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time

Pros

Very smart and experienced people with extensive background and knowledge of the industry.
    Opportunities to work on cutting edge technology.
    Flexible working hours.
    Great work and team environment

Cons

Work life balance is not that great.
    Spend a lot of time in the office sometimes.

Great company

I have been working at ViXS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A great place to seek knowledge and experience in advanced technologies. People are nice to each other, and the working environment is friendly, flexible working hours.

Cons

In early 2013, there was a round of layoffs, most of the negative reviews were from the engineers let go, feel sorry for them.

Give more credit to the key engineers that are important for the company.

ViXS is a company where your knowledge and skills will be appreciated, and your career objective will be fulfilled.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1. You can always have opportunities to work on cutting-edge technology stuff, and learn about newest knowledge in the area.
    2. The company is running efficiently. Technology can be converted into product in a short period.
    3. Working time is flexible.
    4. Salary is good.
    5. Working environment is very friendly.

Cons

Sometimes when the project is approaching the customer deadline, some over time working will be needed. You will need to work late and sometimes come to work on weekends.

Looking forward to its booming!

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has very friendly environment and flexible work hours. There are always new projects which provide engineers more challenges and opportunities of learning. It has supportive and discerning supervisors and lots of enthusiastic engineers. Hardworking is always rewarded here.

Cons

The company needs more featured products. It now manages to keep leading not only in techniques but also in marketing.

The management needs to be more determined sometimes. Though brilliant ideas are always needed, sticking on selected projects and resisting from the temptation of easy success are also necessary. Otherwise, hardworking from engineers may not always bring good harvests.

Management is very focused and smart

Current Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They focus on squeezing every bit out of their employees. They are smart to layoff no more than 50 employees at a time to avoid announcing publicly. They are so good in making themselves to believe in their own lies and forcing the employees to support them. They have the guts to ask employees to write positive reviews here. Shameless.

Cons

All cons from the previous reviews are very true. Positive reviews are written either by forced employees or senior management themselves.

Speechless. Hopeless.

Troubled company with no leadership

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most people are friendly and smart. There is a lot of good technology in software and hardware.

Cons

Where to begin. We lost a lot of friends and smart people during last few years because of layoffs. The company could not sell because it decided to concentrate on shrinking high-end markets. The company had to go public to bring in cash, and stock price has stagnant since then.

Then VP's, achitects, CFO and other key people quit. We were over 300 people to now just 100. We do not have enough talent or people to make another product. The pay here is below average - read other reviews here.

Mean while last financial report shows that the executives are giving themselves more salary and bonuses - see what our CEO got last year because they can not hide in financial report. See what other executives got. Why do they get huge bonuses and pay when our company is doing so bad and have to do lay offs?

The morale is terrible but the executives do not know or do not care to find out about it.

Wake up before it is too late but I'm afraid it is already too late. CEO, stop taking your pet dog to work and letting it run around the office. It is not your play ground.

horrible company. conning customers, employees and investors

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at ViXS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

they paid the salary on time, that is about the only positive thing I can say, and that is only because of the 20 word minimum required

Cons

the management is worried only about its survival, and I believe people who wrote that the last positive reviews were fake, as suddenly there is a ton of extremely positive reviews about it in a very short time. The company is a mess. The execution is terrible, the chips don't work and there are full of bugs. The last chip was delayed by almost 2 years, and I'm sure it's full of bugs as the previous. Their marketing is shamelessly telling stories to customers, the management doesn't involve employees in anything, people are working on projects without knowing anything about them. Sally Daub barely shows up to work, and no one ever sees here there. The management in Vixs reminds the lords in ancient England while the employees are the peasants. They layoff people very easily and hire people for low salaries, or non at all, telling them it's a trial period when they have no intention of keeping them after the trial period.
    When they were close to running out of cash a year ago, they laid off as many employees as they could and went on an IPO, telling nice stories to investment companies about the company outlook, when actually customers were leaving them, and the whole thing they did was try and keep the existing customers, which most were very unsatisfied at the time I used to work there. The company has no methodologies, no documentation, no order, and they are busy putting out fires all the time, and that is why they work their employees so hard because of all the crisis's they have.
    When I started working there I couldn't believe that a company can last so many years the way they are working, but I thought that there may be something I don't understand, but after a while there I realized that all they do is just find new suckers every time that put money into the company, and all that matters to the senior management is to keep the company alive so that they could suck more high salaries from it as long as they can.
    If I was an investor in the company I would run away with my money as far as possible, Vixs is a definite short, it has no long term plan, it's just shooting in all direction hoping to hit something when it's way out of its league, and therefor will always lose on all fronts.

nothing will help, because the management doesn't really care, they just want to keep the company live as long as possible