ViXS

Updated January 30, 2015
Updated January 30, 2015
2.9

Sally J. Daub

horrible company. conning customers, employees and investors

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at ViXS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

they paid the salary on time, that is about the only positive thing I can say, and that is only because of the 20 word minimum required

Cons

the management is worried only about its survival, and I believe people who wrote that the last positive reviews were fake, as suddenly there is a ton of extremely positive reviews about it in a very short time. The company is a mess. The execution is terrible, the chips don't work and there are full of bugs. The last chip was delayed by almost 2 years, and I'm sure it's full of bugs as the previous. Their marketing is shamelessly telling stories to customers, the management doesn't involve employees in anything, people are working on projects without knowing anything about them. Sally Daub barely shows up to work, and no one ever sees here there. The management in Vixs reminds the lords in ancient England while the employees are the peasants. They layoff people very easily and hire people for low salaries, or non at all, telling them it's a trial period when they have no intention of keeping them after the trial period.
    When they were close to running out of cash a year ago, they laid off as many employees as they could and went on an IPO, telling nice stories to investment companies about the company outlook, when actually customers were leaving them, and the whole thing they did was try and keep the existing customers, which most were very unsatisfied at the time I used to work there. The company has no methodologies, no documentation, no order, and they are busy putting out fires all the time, and that is why they work their employees so hard because of all the crisis's they have.
    When I started working there I couldn't believe that a company can last so many years the way they are working, but I thought that there may be something I don't understand, but after a while there I realized that all they do is just find new suckers every time that put money into the company, and all that matters to the senior management is to keep the company alive so that they could suck more high salaries from it as long as they can.
    If I was an investor in the company I would run away with my money as far as possible, Vixs is a definite short, it has no long term plan, it's just shooting in all direction hoping to hit something when it's way out of its league, and therefor will always lose on all fronts.

nothing will help, because the management doesn't really care, they just want to keep the company live as long as possible

Terrible company, employees get nothing and don't even know it.

Former Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at ViXS full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any.

Cons

1. Terrible management. There is absolutely NO policy.
    2. Executives only do things that benefit themselves. Disregards the rest of the company.
    3. No matter how hard employees work, there are no incentives/praises to motivate you. It's either you work or you leave.
    4. Most management have a temper issue. Constant yelling is heard around the office.
    5. They are also telling people to write fake reviews here to bring up the rating.

Think for the people who work for you. It's not always about the you or the money.

Fulfilling and promising

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to learn latest compressed video technologies, employees are given important and meaningful tasks to help company succeed, works directly with industry-leading consumer electronics customers

Cons

Lack of focus on single task. Poor vacation days policy.

Need to hire more enthusiastic people to enhance the work environment, need to promote positive energy

Investors, customers & employees, be very cautious about this company

Former Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at ViXS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good for new immigrants who are willing to be under-paid and work like a slave. No need to speak English.

Cons

Worst management ever. Bad attitude, no vision, no direction, no communication to employees. No accountability, blame employees for their mistakes. Decision changes daily, a lot of cover-ups to customers. Low salary, under staffed, always push employees to finish unreasonable schedule, as a result, long hours and bad quality. Bad chemistry between teams, a lot of finger pointing. VP Finance is the only part time HR person with no HR skill. The worst problem about management is they don’t see there is a problem.

Board of Directors should replace everyone in the management team.

Hope it will get a new start

I have been working at ViXS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A lot of talent people who are willing to work hard.
    flexible working hours.

Cons

lack communication between management and employee

It is decent.

Current Employee - Graphics Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Graphics Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A company with strong technology capabilities.

Cons

The payment is lower than the market.

The management need to be improved.

A company whose best days have passed. In a death spiral.

Former Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at ViXS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent technology to work on across the board. Can learn quite a bit if you are proactive.

Cons

-The management is seriously lacking: Little to no leadership or management ability, obvious creation of fiefdoms. Little to no accountability on their part as well
    -No concept of proper project/program management. Projects are always behind schedule and over budget
    -Unable to stand up or push back to clearly unreasonable customer demands, which led to scheduling delays and slips. This caused a reduction in customer confidence (and ultimately some dropped projects)
    -Massive lay offs are continuously being performed with no restructuring or sustenance program in place, leads to no confidence in the future of the company

Diversify. The media SoC business is not one where money can be made.

software engineer

I have been working at ViXS full-time

Pros

flexible working time and you can work on different field

Cons

can not see a bright future

Good and bad place. Good start for new comer.

I have been working at ViXS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very good collaborative colleagues. Good opportunities to learn technologies, especially low level firmware and device drivers.

Cons

Bad management. Very less stuff meeting. You don't know what you are fighting for. No vision for EE. No good process.

Find a buyer to sell this company is the best fate.

Talented engineers work long time

I have been working at ViXS full-time

Pros

Very talented people, advanced technology

Cons

prolong work time, no life