ViXS

Add Photos

Sally J. Daub

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

software engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Proswork life balance really depends on project and individual person,
    compensation is ok. time off policy is flexible.

Consdon't know the value of this company yet, and company's culture as well.
    atmosphere in company is not so good. For employee, job is job and nothing more than that.

Not the best place to work at

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood technology, and some great colleagues.

ConsNo work-life balance. Employees are expected to work around the clock without questioning decisions made by management. Management appears clueless on pretty much every topic, be it project management, customer management, strategy, communication, organizational development and sales. Result - chaotic workplace where the employees find out every morning what is the "high" priority issues they should focus on that day.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe proactive instead of being reactive, and consider getting some professional help to run the organization.

Sharing my two cents

Senior Director (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsI joined the company in March 2001, and now the senior director of algorithms team. With this information, many ViXS employees may know who I am.
    There are very different opinions about the company here in the glass door website, and I’m feeling very sad to see those bad ones. But I can understand some of them: He or she has been working very hard for the past a few years, but ViXS is not doing as great as expected yet.
    I think it’s normal that any company has ups and downs. But what shall we do? My suggestion is: follow your heart. For those of you who are unhappy, please let me quote from a friend of mine, who has also left, “I've made many friends for life here at ViXS”, maybe it’s a good time to move on and find a better opportunity, you have my best wishes. And for those of you who have faith in the company, keep up your spirits, ViXS depends on you.
    With the very successful HEVC decoder release and promising chips in the roadmap, I have confidence.

ConsThere was a big layoff in Feb 2013, but the worst time has passed.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the morale of the employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This company is managed like a mom 'n pop shop

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThis company is managed like a mom 'n pop shop where one makes all the ad hoc decisions and others sit in the corner yelling to get their way (unsuccessfully though). They have made a joke of what could have been a great Canadian success story. After 13 years of repeated failures, no one seems to have learned any lessons. They focus on the bare minimum survival to keep padding their own pockets for as long as possible.

ConsMultiple architects quit recently to protest against the executives' unethical behavior. Most of us who are left are not motivated, most would rather focus on their kids, houses and mortgages. Some are smart enough to even start their own real estate business on the side.

Recent town-hall meeting reinforced the idea that management does not care about the company or the employees. The entire update lasted less than 2 minutes with absolutely no discussion of the technology road map because there is none. They keep making claims of future revenue with absolutely no proof.

New immigrants looking for their first job in Canada are hired as replacements to keep the existing employees' wages at rock bottom. Focus is on quantity (headcount) rather than quality. Consequently morale of the current employees suffers even further. Given a choice, most skilled employees will quit this company in a heartbeat like the architects who already did.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company. Current executives are too much vested in their own interests to make good decisions. The board needs to step in and make some hard decisions. Investors need to ask for details and proof. An independent audit of q3 books will provide enough ammunition to move ahead.

Good people, challenging technology. Overall positive

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsVery smart and experienced people with extensive background and knowledge of the industry.
    Opportunities to work on cutting edge technology.
    Flexible working hours.
    Great work and team environment

ConsWork life balance is not that great.
    Spend a lot of time in the office sometimes.

ViXS is a company where your knowledge and skills will be appreciated, and your career objective will be fulfilled.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros1. You can always have opportunities to work on cutting-edge technology stuff, and learn about newest knowledge in the area.
    2. The company is running efficiently. Technology can be converted into product in a short period.
    3. Working time is flexible.
    4. Salary is good.
    5. Working environment is very friendly.

ConsSometimes when the project is approaching the customer deadline, some over time working will be needed. You will need to work late and sometimes come to work on weekends.

Very rewarding experiences working at ViXS

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsA leading company in the field with awareness of environment and social conscience; very good working environment; friendly and cooperative team workers; excellent management by caring leaders; flexible working hours; good salary and compensation

ConsSometimes having to work around the clock to resolve an emergency situation may make you feel tedious; you may also have to occasionally adjust your working hours to a different time zone to work with people overseas

Looking forward to its booming!

Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThe company has very friendly environment and flexible work hours. There are always new projects which provide engineers more challenges and opportunities of learning. It has supportive and discerning supervisors and lots of enthusiastic engineers. Hardworking is always rewarded here.

ConsThe company needs more featured products. It now manages to keep leading not only in techniques but also in marketing.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management needs to be more determined sometimes. Though brilliant ideas are always needed, sticking on selected projects and resisting from the temptation of easy success are also necessary. Otherwise, hardworking from engineers may not always bring good harvests.

Great company

Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsA great place to seek knowledge and experience in advanced technologies. People are nice to each other, and the working environment is friendly, flexible working hours.

ConsIn early 2013, there was a round of layoffs, most of the negative reviews were from the engineers let go, feel sorry for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more credit to the key engineers that are important for the company.

Fulfilling and promising

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat company to learn latest compressed video technologies, employees are given important and meaningful tasks to help company succeed, works directly with industry-leading consumer electronics customers

ConsLack of focus on single task. Poor vacation days policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to hire more enthusiastic people to enhance the work environment, need to promote positive energy

Worked for ViXS? Contribute to the Community!