Via Christi Health System

Updated Jun 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeff Korsmo

I love working here with my co-workers.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
    Wichita, KS

ProsSelf scheduling, co-workers, work environment

ConsAdministration is going through major changes right now.

Health care

Health Care (Former Employee)
    Wichita, KS

ProsI liked working with my co workers

ConsToo little staff, too much work
    Layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeded to focus on hiring quality people instead of friends

Great Place to Work

ProsEasy going, flexible, team culture, management is willing to work with you

ConsFew and far between raises, hard to move up

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Via Christi cares--beware of partners though

Phlebotomist (Current Employee)

ProsWonderful coworkers
    Manageable workload
    Flexibility
    Via Christi has good core values that they really drive into their employees
    Good benefits

ConsPoor compensation compared to other industries
    AMS SUCKS

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what staff has to contribute to upcoming changes. You don't work their job so how would you know what will work best for them?

Think carefully before accepting a position with this company

ProsVia Christ does try to stay on the leading edge of technology. The benefits are good (for the time being). I truly wish I had more positive things to say.

ConsVery stressful. Training is minimal. High turnover. The job is suppose to be about helping the customer and stats are not suppose to hold any weight, however, bi-weekly reviews are nothing but about your stats. As stated in another review, the department is micromanaged. Rarely are you treated with any respect (especially females). Since the takeover with Ascension, you don't know from one day to the next whether you have a job or not. Favoritism is blatantly obvious.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want respect - give it to your staff first. If it weren't for those of us in the trenches there would be no Via Christi. LISTEN to your staff. Some of us have ideas that would be beneficial to the organization. If you want loyalty from your employees, then give your staff loyalty in return. Treat your employee as the adults we are. We know our job and most of us do what is expected of us and more. Mistakes are made. The definition of a mistake is an unintentional error. Don't belittle us for a mistake. We feel bad enough without you piling on. Stop kicking the cat. If you, as management, have messed up, don't blame it on your employees. Man up and own your mistakes. There is no need to show the staff who is boss. We know who you are, so throwing your "power" around is completely unnecessary. Stop keeping your staff in the dark. Communicate the coming changes with them. Do your job! You are a manager. Stop with the "I don't want to deal with this" routine and do the job you are being paid to do, but do it respectfully.

equal pros and cons to this company

ProsSomething new and interesting everyday. And you will learn a lot in short periods of time, that's how I like to collect my knowledge

ConsPoor Managment in certain situations things don't get handled properly sometimes. Pay is horrible I'm making the minimum I can get for this position and working for a specialty Clinic,

Advice to Senior ManagementWould increase pay a little we deal with a lot and some struggle more than me, it's just something to consider

I was too idealistic when I went to work here!

Maintenance (Former Employee)
    Wichita, KS

ProsIn general, a lot of GOOD people, outside of management, work there. Many are some of the best people you'll ever meet. Dedicated and hard-working! SUPPOSED to be a non-profit organization, but must be only for the workers, NOT MANAGEMENT!

ConsManagement is VERY clique-ish and a lot of politics internally. HR is the worst! Lots of double-speak! Way TOO MANY chiefs, who make the money, demands, and use the employees as scapegoats.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe biggest ASSETS of this company are the workers!

Talent and potential stifled by AHIS' acquisition and middle management

Applications Engineer (Former Employee)
    Wichita, KS

ProsDecent HR staff, IT tech support are all in-house employees, competitive benefits

ConsTerribly bureaucratic, no on-the-job training with unrealistic expectations, short staffed IT workers wearing multiple hats with absolutely nothing to show for it

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop your employees by giving them the training they need and give them fair assessments based off from multiple opinions and realistic expectations comparable to the workload. There are obvious biased favoritism being unfairly shown to certain team members.

Offer competitive salaries based off of skills and experience initially instead of lowballing the base amount.

Distribute the work evenly amongst team members instead of expecting employees to always work late and on weekends. Hire or internally divide the team members evenly so there are more resources to support the ever growing work.

Be more concerned with completing the current work instead of constantly taking on new objectives in an attempt to look good on your assessment reports.

Great place to work!

Nurse Technician (Current Employee)
    Wichita, KS

ProsMany positive changes currently going on. Very exciting time for Via Christi. Can't wait for Via to reach magnet status.

ConsStaff to patient ratio can improve.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the strong work!

Frantic and bureaucratic

ProsClear job openings
    Always a job available
    Pays much better than a nursing home

ConsPerpetually understaffed
    High turn-over rate
    Doesn't pay nearly enough for what is demanded
    Gives an extremely high patient load and then dings the floor when patient reviews are negative

Worked for Via Christi Health System? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Via Christi Health System reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Via Christi Health System CEO Jeff Korsmo. All 34 reviews posted anonymously by Via Christi Health System employees.