ViaSat

Updated January 18, 2015
3.5

ViaSat Chairman and CEO Mark D. Dankberg
Mark D. Dankberg

Pros
  • Really good work/life balance with a lot of flexibility (in 9 reviews)

• It is a very casual work environment, which can be an adjustment for anyone coming from a (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours with horrible work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• You won't get to work on the cutting edge software/technology like other companies in the bay (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

6 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Engineer & Technology Oriented Company

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff/Lead Antenna & Microwave Engineer in Duluth, GA

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are the kind of person that wants to work on cutting edge technology and contribute, this is the best company for you. Compensation & bonus are generous. Health insurance is top notch. ViaSat has unlimited sick days, this shows how much ViaSat trusts their employees in not abusing sick days. I am a through and through technologist and ViaSat, Antenna Systems has been very satisfying to work for. I asked them for $1.5M+ research fund, right after I started working for AS, to develop new technology, and they put their faith in a new employee like me to develop it and their trust in me made me work hard and deliver results. I really think this company has a great future, as long as Mark is at the helm.

Cons

ViaSat being a big company has a bit more red tape than I am used to, but understandable as ViaSat is a big company that deals with government contracts. I came from a very small company, where I wore different hats as the situation demanded, but here I feel a bit restricted. But then again I am NOT working 60+ hours like I did in my previous employment.

Keep doing what you are doing, not much needs changed.

Could be great but too many roadblocks

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people and the casual environment are great. The industry is cool.

Cons

Too many roadblocks to getting anything done.

Stop insisting on doing the same old things the same old ways while demanding different results.

Overall Good Company

Former Intern - Intern in Duluth, GA
    Former Intern - Intern in Duluth, GA

I worked at ViaSat as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

fun environment, everyone was helpful and encouraged you to learn new things

Cons

Duluth isn't the most exciting location

Challenging work, poor compensation.

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Duluth, GA

I have been working at ViaSat

Pros

ViaSat is a decent place to work. It has a very relaxed atmosphere, open door policy, and great benefits. It has a "Do The Right Thing" motto, and therefore puts a lot of trust in the employees. This allows for flexible work schedules, and some working from home which is a great benefit.

Cons

ViaSat is understaffed, and always will be. This puts a lot of pressure on the employees, being overworked, and underpaid for the hours that they put in. There is no overtime pay for salary employees, and with most salary employees working 50-60 hours/week it can way heavily on you.

Bring up your compensation levels. Your employees are valuable to you, so show them that you value them. Re-vamp your internal management, and allow for overtime pay, or put less pressure on your employees. Get to the right staff level so that there will be more work-sharing, and less responsibility on the individuals.

Dankburg, please review and get rid of your rottem management team.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Duluth, GA

I have been working at ViaSat

Pros

Dankburg is truly a visionary. They have a great work / life balance, great benefits, & the employees are a superb team to work with.

Cons

Dankburg's one true problem: he is terrible at picking management. They are the most incompetent people I've seen in my 35 year career. Self serving, no clue as to what's going on or how it may negatively impact the company.

Please get rid of this junk management.

We're protrayed as being spectactular, the best of all in our field.... if they only knew the truth

Current Employee - Can't Say This Could BE An Identifier But I'm A Senior Level EMP in Duluth, GA

I have been working at ViaSat

Pros

The salaries are good, the benifits are very good, it's only15 mins from home, and I like what I do.
    It's the type of place that new hires come in feeling very lucky to have been hired. However, within 3-6 months they're wondering how long they must stay without looking like a leapster.

Cons

Very little communication, constant worryies of lay offs, totally incompentent management, no opportunities, no growth. I'm speaking in terms of the Ga office. I hear the same from employees in Az & Maryland. Corp is in Carlsbad and we're given the impression that they're all very happy there, no complaints. However, there seems to be a lot of turnover. There are also a lot of people there who say they wish the economy was better & they could leave.

Be honest!! Care about what your doing & not about what you can personally gain & run with. This is the general perspective the Ga office has of our managment team. Most honestly feel that they're complete idiots & haven't a clue of what they're doing or what your doing or how things should be done. Talk with your employees... not just your other Sr Mgmt partners.

ViaSat Photos