ViaSat

Updated November 20, 2014
3.5

ViaSat Chairman and CEO Mark D. Dankberg
Mark D. Dankberg

Pros
  • Really good work/life balance with a lot of flexibility (in 9 reviews)

• It is a very casual work environment, which can be an adjustment for anyone coming from a (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours with horrible work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• You won't get to work on the cutting edge software/technology like other companies in the bay (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Phenomenal Workplace

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Love the down to earth feel of this company, every employees dream company to work for

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about this company

Great Company!

Current Employee - Quality in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Quality in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Challenging work, great culture. Flexible work hours. Company cares about Employees.

Cons

Nothing to say about this Company at this time.

Great place to work for the most part

Former Employee - Security Associate in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Security Associate in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat full-time (more than an year)

Pros

ViaSat really did treat it's employees well in my view. Benefits are great, workplace culture is fantastic, campus is nice. On the surface it's all gravy. Management was nice enough and seemed attentive. As with any workplace this is all dependent on your team and what kind of pressure they're under. ViaSat is growing quickly, but is still relatively small and the culture is very young and startup like.

Cons

First thing I noticed: nepotism is rampant. You will quickly notice that there are a lot of the same last names on offices and cubes around campus... You'll grow to recognize the various "dynasties" in the company; husbands, wives, and children working in the same department. These are the families that either helped found the company or were some of the first employees. They're all pretty highly placed now, and they're untouchable. You're expected to venerate them and "The Founders," or the three guys who started the company a couple decades ago. It feels almost "cultish" sometimes.

Also, upward mobility is limited. It seemed like nobody left, so you're stuck waiting for someone to retire or be promoted (rare) before you have an opportunity to move up.

Salary is just average for this type of company in California; beware if you are single. To live in San Diego County you really need to either be married/paired up in a dual income situation, or have roommates and live in a lower income area. It's super expensive down here. I ended up being hired away by a competitor who offered me close to a 30% raise.

My management was pretty great, but maybe lay off the cultish stuff? Also, try to open opportunities for employees to grow. Everyone is sitting around waiting for people to retire so they can move up.

Very intense company/technology focus. lots of very smart people with great knowledge.

Former Employee - Consultant- Bus Devel in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant- Bus Devel in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Outstanding products and a desire to make them even better. These folks want to be the best in the SatCom business and will work towards this end.

Cons

Some managers are so self absorbed that they fail to manage or care, I noted some internal rivalries between their offices in Colorado and California. No coordination of efforts whatsoever at time.

Insure that your senior managers take time out to learn from attendance at management seminars

Would not recommend.

Former Employee - Field Applications Support Engineer in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Field Applications Support Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- 100% covered health care.
    - Managed my own time.

Cons

- Almost cost me my life, was forward deployed for them and was treated very poorly the entire time.
    - Boss didn't care if I had gotten into a wreck that almost cost me life, told me to get back on the job.
    - Under paid me the entire time, over-charged government hours while paying me under the amount of hours I worked.
    - They did some seriously illegal things, but felt immune to it because the things they did to me happened while I was forward deployed to another country.

If you are charging the government 56 hours a week, don't pay your employee for 42 hours a week.
    Also if you bring an employee on for a two year contract don't threaten them with unemployment the entire time, only to force them to stay forward deployed due to contract renewal.
    I would also like to review my compensation for my 56 hours.

Good company but salary is low for california

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours. Good people. Nice weather.

Cons

Benefits are reasonable but the base salary and annual salary hike % is very less for the California state similar positions.

Salary should be competitive to retain good employees

No guidance at all

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Chill environment. They have basketball courts and volleyball courts. As an intern they try to treat you nice by having hackathons and having socials like movie night and Padres games.

Cons

Since day one it wasn't very clear on what I was going to be working on. My manager barely talked to me and then passed me to another higher manager. The other manager was pretty important and busy so he wasn't very accessible so I basically had no guidance. I didn't get a mentor or anyone I could ask for help when I got stuck. Overall I feel like I didn't gain much from the internship.

Also the room we were placed in was filled with servers so all day I would hear the loud humming of the servers with the cold wind used to cool them blowing against my back in a crammed up table filled with cables, old monitors and random unused hardware parts.

Overall I felt so small and alone in this company.

Please provide more guidance for your interns. Make sure it's clear on what their project is. I was not doing a team internship so I was never really given a clear definition of what my work was. All I did was make tiny changes in the code to contribute for new cases but no overall contribution was felt as is advertised by recruiters. Provide mentors for your interns. Some experienced worker that can be of guidance and wisdom for newcomers. Overall I felt so small and alone in that company.

Good company but OK IT department

Former Employee - IT Staff in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - IT Staff in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, Some people are really good to work with, Opportunities to work on different technologies

Cons

Inefficient IT Middle Management and indifferent IT Senior Management.

Sub-Cultures at the expense of company culture

I worked at ViaSat full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall company culture and employee satisfaction is a big focus here. Company employing strategies at a corporate level to encourage cross-dept communication and collaboration. For the right person I would recommend working at ViaSat.

Cons

However...the sub-cultures in play make cross collaboration near impossible in some cases. The company is going through some growing pains, so going in understanding this is important. This alone shouldn't discourage one from seeking employment here though.

Great company, great location

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

ViaSat has a great culture which emphasizes both working hard and playing hard. Aside from the standard benefits, there are a lot of nice extras that I haven't seen at other companies - we have an onsite wellness clinic which offers pretty much full services - you can get basic prescriptions filled, see a chiropractor, get a physical, etc. There are charging stations for employees with electric cars at two of our buildings in CBD. Flexible schedules are the norm.

Cons

This issues are more with individuals - some managers should never ever have direct reports; others should not be managers based upon an utter unwillingness to focus on anything other than the bottom line.

ViaSat Response

Sep 1, 2014Company Representative

Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a review! It really means a lot when when an employee invests a few minutes to talk about life at ViaSat.

ViaSat Photos