ViaSat

Updated February 28, 2015
3.5

ViaSat Chairman and CEO Mark D. Dankberg
Mark D. Dankberg

Pros
  • Really good work/life balance with a lot of flexibility (in 9 reviews)

• It is a very casual work environment, which can be an adjustment for anyone coming from a (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours with horrible work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• You won't get to work on the cutting edge software/technology like other companies in the bay (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Place To Work Overall

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lot of facilities, membership to top notch gym, on site volleyball courts, basketball court. Nice people to work with.

Cons

Heading in the wrong direction, some projects managers just think of engineers as resources and ride them like horses.

Too many managers who are too comfortable here and are wasting resources.

Big company with small company feel

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people, friendly. Up to date hardware and technology. Good atmosphere to work in. They won't give you an old PC from 2010.

Cons

Interview and recruiting process takes a long time. I feel they may miss out on good candidates due to the amount of time.

Keep moving forward - the IoT is here to stay, and the company can only benefit from that.

Good people, some good work

I have been working at ViaSat

Pros

They seem to care about their employees.

Cons

Management is hit or miss.

Good place to work

I worked at ViaSat

Pros

Talented and good colleagues. Satisfactory experience.

Cons

Average salary. Not many benefits for temps.

They mean well, but trouble in paradise.

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat

Pros

Cutting edge technology, relaxed workplace, flexible hours. Casual dress code. Training is encouraged and paid by the company. They have some brilliant people working there. Crappy bicycles to ride between buildings.

Cons

I worked there 7 years and enjoyed most of the time there. I noticed right away that certain employees were dismissed suddenly with no announcement and no one dared to speak about it. Seems like everyone was afraid for their jobs. Employees were afraid to raise questions about design problems or management problems. Don't make waves or you are in trouble!
    Seems like they had a lot of management people that did not do anything.
    They have a lot of design problems reflected in high numbers of RMA (Returned units).
    I tried to fix some of the design problems but was met with heavy resistance, the usual finger pointing "It's Manufacturing's problem" or no "its a design error". Everyone only cared about their own department. They had no reason to help out other departments. After a disagreement with my supervisor over design changes, he had me fired. HR is spineless. I became one of the disappeared ones that no one will speak of.

Well Mark I am not a CEO so I don't know what you should do. You started off with a great idea, and you have some talented people, but it seems like ViaSat is in a self destruct mode.

Good people, disorganized

I have been working at ViaSat full-time

Pros

Good people in the whole company, care about individuals

Cons

Lots of micromanagement, little autonomy, business decisions & processes are often haphazard

Better than most.

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employees fairly well respected. Knowledge and use fo knowledge is rewared. Very good benefits. Pay is adequate. Work is challenging and engaging.

Cons

There are plenty of large heads that steer projects in emotionally or power driven directions. People with no skills in a specific area are given the power to rule over groups in that area.

Trust the people with experience and knowledge instead of the people you play golf with.

Engineer & Technology Oriented Company

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff/Lead Antenna & Microwave Engineer in Duluth, GA

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are the kind of person that wants to work on cutting edge technology and contribute, this is the best company for you. Compensation & bonus are generous. Health insurance is top notch. ViaSat has unlimited sick days, this shows how much ViaSat trusts their employees in not abusing sick days. I am a through and through technologist and ViaSat, Antenna Systems has been very satisfying to work for. I asked them for $1.5M+ research fund, right after I started working for AS, to develop new technology, and they put their faith in a new employee like me to develop it and their trust in me made me work hard and deliver results. I really think this company has a great future, as long as Mark is at the helm.

Cons

ViaSat being a big company has a bit more red tape than I am used to, but understandable as ViaSat is a big company that deals with government contracts. I came from a very small company, where I wore different hats as the situation demanded, but here I feel a bit restricted. But then again I am NOT working 60+ hours like I did in my previous employment.

Keep doing what you are doing, not much needs changed.

Run do not walk from this place.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great sales pitch. looks like a great place to work and the benefits are very nice. that is were it stops.

Cons

way to much stress, suicide are common and death threats are the norm at this place. People are pushed to their limits. they will pay you off when you leave so you will not sue, but that dose not solve the issues with in. this is not in every department, but in it is in more then it should be and HR and the hirer ups do not feel the need to fix the problems. turn over is extremely high for the industry.

Was a fairly enjoyable environment for an internship.

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Social events for interns. Good mentors.

Cons

Many projects interns presented weren't very interesting. My internship didn't match up well with my skills.

ViaSat Photos