ViaSat Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
3.6

ViaSat Chairman and CEO Mark D. Dankberg
Mark D. Dankberg

Pros
  • Really good work/life balance with a lot of flexibility (in 8 reviews)

• The work environment is not very stressful and everyone is very laid back (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a culture of long hours on many projects and a common 'work more to finish it on time' attitude (in 6 reviews)

• You won't get to work on the cutting edge software/technology like other companies in the bay (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Very intense company/technology focus. lots of very smart people with great knowledge.

Former Employee - Consultant- Bus Devel  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant- Bus Devel in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Outstanding products and a desire to make them even better. These folks want to be the best in the SatCom business and will work towards this end.

Cons

Some managers are so self absorbed that they fail to manage or care, I noted some internal rivalries between their offices in Colorado and California. No coordination of efforts whatsoever at time.

Insure that your senior managers take time out to learn from attendance at management seminars

Good company but salary is low for california

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff (Systems Test Engineer)  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff (Systems Test Engineer) in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at ViaSat full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work hours. Good people. Nice weather.

Cons

Benefits are reasonable but the base salary and annual salary hike % is very less for the California state similar positions.

Salary should be competitive to retain good employees

No guidance at all

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Chill environment. They have basketball courts and volleyball courts. As an intern they try to treat you nice by having hackathons and having socials like movie night and Padres games.

Cons

Since day one it wasn't very clear on what I was going to be working on. My manager barely talked to me and then passed me to another higher manager. The other manager was pretty important and busy so he wasn't very accessible so I basically had no guidance. I didn't get a mentor or anyone I could ask for help when I got stuck. Overall I feel like I didn't gain much from the internship.

Also the room we were placed in was filled with servers so all day I would hear the loud humming of the servers with the cold wind used to cool them blowing against my back in a crammed up table filled with cables, old monitors and random unused hardware parts.

Overall I felt so small and alone in this company.

Please provide more guidance for your interns. Make sure it's clear on what their project is. I was not doing a team internship so I was never really given a clear definition of what my work was. All I did was make tiny changes in the code to contribute for new cases but no overall contribution was felt as is advertised by recruiters. Provide mentors for your interns. Some experienced worker that can be of guidance and wisdom for newcomers. Overall I felt so small and alone in that company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company but OK IT department

Former Employee - IT Staff  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - IT Staff in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, Some people are really good to work with, Opportunities to work on different technologies

Cons

Inefficient IT Middle Management and indifferent IT Senior Management.

Sub-Cultures at the expense of company culture

I worked at ViaSat full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overall company culture and employee satisfaction is a big focus here. Company employing strategies at a corporate level to encourage cross-dept communication and collaboration. For the right person I would recommend working at ViaSat.

Cons

However...the sub-cultures in play make cross collaboration near impossible in some cases. The company is going through some growing pains, so going in understanding this is important. This alone shouldn't discourage one from seeking employment here though.

Great company, great location

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at ViaSat full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

ViaSat has a great culture which emphasizes both working hard and playing hard. Aside from the standard benefits, there are a lot of nice extras that I haven't seen at other companies - we have an onsite wellness clinic which offers pretty much full services - you can get basic prescriptions filled, see a chiropractor, get a physical, etc. There are charging stations for employees with electric cars at two of our buildings in CBD. Flexible schedules are the norm.

Cons

This issues are more with individuals - some managers should never ever have direct reports; others should not be managers based upon an utter unwillingness to focus on anything other than the bottom line.

ViaSat Response

Sep 1, 2014Company Representative

Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a review! It really means a lot when when an employee invests a few minutes to talk about life at ViaSat.

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at ViaSat full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture here is great, there is always challenging and interesting work going on. It is very easy to get yourself involved in projects that interest you. The company is very flexible and seems to have a strong drive to make employees happy!

Cons

The flexibility of the company seems to come at a price of not enough people skilled in the area they should be and lots of confusion and lack of processes.

Tighten up process and policy and work on becoming competitive in hiring highly skilled individuals.

ViaSat Response

Sep 9, 2014Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback and suggestions. We do want our employees to be happy, and truly enjoy the culture and challenging work we offer. Thank you for everything you ... More

DYSFUNCTION AT ITS WORST

Former Employee - Finance  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Finance in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They put on a good show to try to get good employees to work there. Benefits are okay, pay was okay. Relaxed atmosphere, casual attire any day of the week.

Cons

The people in finance were the worst. Ungrateful attitudes, deceitful employees. Bullying and harassment from others was awful. I was threatened and bullied by a long timer, and under those conditions I was miserable. The worst management in finance I have ever seen! They run a 360 to get feedback from employees but then do not use that to improve the workplace or to make any needed changes. It is a wasted resource to improve on weak areas and they do not care. This was the worst job i have ever held for a corporation. I know many employees still there that want out.

Use the 360 feedback and research what those employees are saying. Get good managers that actually care about their teams in there. The finance dept has a guy in place that is giving Viasat a bad name. The employees in that group have suffered because of this guy. His lack of leadership and accountability are evident but management is not doing anything about it. Good employees have left Viasat because of his bad decisions.

Laid back culture; Work depends on the team

I have been working at ViaSat for more than a year

Pros

Some really smart people in the company , work-life balance

Cons

friction between diff teams ; not fast paced

give some recognition/advice to the Jr's as well

Great company, dysfunctional recruiting department

I worked at ViaSat full-time

Pros

Smart people, a company that cares.

Cons

communication is very weak in lots of departments

Worked for ViaSat? Contribute to the Community!