ViaSat

Be The First To
Add Photos

ViaSat Chairman and CEO Mark D. Dankberg

Mark D. Dankberg

Pros:
  • "Really good work/life balance with a lot of flexibility"
    in 9 reviews
  • "The work environment is not very stressful and everyone is very laid back"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is a culture of long hours on many projects and a common 'work more to finish it on time' attitude"
    in 6 reviews
  • "You won't get to work on the cutting edge software/technology like other companies in the bay"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

good company to work with

Hardware Engineer (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at ViaSat full-time for less than a year

ProsThe company is nice, working environment is nice, people are friendly.

ConsAt Phoenix, not a good place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on more on employee's requirements

Solid if you are an Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ViaSat full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, decent compensation, good work environment and the company really does care about its employees

ConsCan be very political and you have to play that game if you want to further your career there. Promotions are not merit based, and if you are not an engineer they like to pigeon-hole you into a spot and grind your hard with little to no opportunity to move up in the company. Almost all senior positions are hires from the outside, with some of them having "ties" to senior management already in place. I have seen very little promotion from within the company.

Internship

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at ViaSat as an intern for less than a year

ProsCasual environment, fairly good pay, flexible work hours

ConsUninteresting work at least for software development. I suppose this is somewhat typical of internships though. Also, the people didn't really seem excited about what they were doing. Like most big companies, it's very slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Interesting Mix of Corporate Cultures

Software Engineering (Former Employee)
Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat as an intern for less than a year

ProsThere are innovative ideas at play at ViaSat. The company is fast-growing, and is extremely diverse in the fields they explore. ViaSat contracts with the government, but also offers consumer and commercial products and services.

There are so many divisions of ViaSat, one may find exactly what they're looking for in either Satellite Communications, IT, Finance, Human Resources, or many other business segments.

ConsMy experience with the company was plagued somewhat by bureaucracy, an issue evident in most larger companies. The project I worked on seemed somewhat ill-defined, as an endeavor to develop methods to connect the many different business areas at ViaSat.

The diversity of ViaSat's pursuits can sometimes stifle its growth, as a lack of communication between its business areas can lead to difficulty in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, ViaSat's strengths and weakness both come from its diversity. I would advise that more be done to facilitate communication between business areas, in the form of software and infrastructure. Currently, many such tools have been deployed, but are underutilized.

Smart People

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ViaSat full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey hire only smart people...so you will learn a lot of quality information
Work-Life Balance
People genuinely care about others

ConsRoots are in government contracting, which makes change difficult at times
Their mantra is "Do the right thing"...which gives individuals autonomy, but also serves as is a cop-out for exec mgmt to lead by example.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can learn a lot here...just have to be motivated
Some individuals don't contribute significantly, because they feel too safe.
Don't expect title promotions or huge salary increases...ViaSat is stingy in both regards.

Great company to work for, growing quickly

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at ViaSat full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits even after new healthcare legislation. Awesome coworkers.

ConsSometimes it can be hard to find the right person to talk to about something, since there is no org chart or much structure. Growing so quickly they don't always have single offices available for new hires, some people get grouped 2 or 3 per office.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going as is, maybe offer more structure without harming the results over process mentality.

ViaSat

Program Manager (Former Employee)
Gilbert, AZ

I worked at ViaSat full-time for more than 5 years

ProsViaSat only hires geniuses; therefore, you work with a lot of very smart people who will challenge you to always bring your A-game to work. Compensation and benefits are very good.

ConsIn order to minimize groupthink, ViaSat thrives on conflict, but may have swung the pendulum too far. Long hours are often expected. As is the case with many growing companies, ViaSat is still trying to decide whether it is a small company or a large one.

Nada

I have been working at ViaSat

ProsNo main office. worked from home and customer locations. pay decent when there is work.Casual attiure .

Consno healthcare, 401k benefits, backcharged for viasat equipment problems, inconsistant work, paychecks always shorted but not fixed, no lunches, no breaks, horrible egotistic Bosses

Advice to Senior ManagementViasat itself is a nice company to work for who engineers, manufactures, and provides high speed internet satellite systems across the country. It seems to be very professional and structured at Viasat however they contract out all the field work, keep you for a while and then fire you. No stability or future .
if you they want great employee ,PAY THEM .

Great work, Great stress

I have been working at ViaSat full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRelaxed dress, casual work place, good benefits

ConsStress, absurd deadlines, commonplace phone calls on weekends and requests to perform work outside work hours/while on vacation/over holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush back on customer demands instead to protect work force.

Beware - They are not what they appear to be

Manufacturing Engineering Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at ViaSat full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCasual dress code, flexible work hours, good benefits.

ConsBackstabbers who use the 360 review process to get rid of people.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't tell people in manufacturing that you want to make their area into a basketball court and pay as much attention to manufacturing as you do to engineering. There are unethical behaviors being allowed in Operations with no oversight.

Human resources acts like they are there to help employees but there sole purpose is to continue the status quo and support the unethical behavior of management. Within 1 year, 5 managers were let go based solely on the 360 review comments of others and subjective opinions of management. They were ALL very competent professionals who found very good jobs after leaving the company and it includes yours truly.

Worked for ViaSat? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ViaSat reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ViaSat CEO Mark D. Dankberg. All 97 reviews posted anonymously by ViaSat employees.