ViaSat

Be The First To
Add Photos

ViaSat Chairman and CEO Mark D. Dankberg

Mark D. Dankberg

Pros
  • Really good work/life balance with a lot of flexibility(in 8 reviews)

• The work environment is not very stressful and everyone is very laid back(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a culture of long hours on many projects and a common 'work more to finish it on time' attitude(in 6 reviews)

• You won't get to work on the cutting edge software/technology like other companies in the bay(in 4 reviews)

Great Place to Work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsThe culture here is great, there is always challenging and interesting work going on. It is very easy to get yourself involved in projects that interest you. The company is very flexible and seems to have a strong drive to make employees happy!

ConsThe flexibility of the company seems to come at a price of not enough people skilled in the area they should be and lots of confusion and lack of processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementTighten up process and policy and work on becoming competitive in hiring highly skilled individuals.

Great company, dysfunctional recruiting department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmart people, a company that cares.

Conscommunication is very weak in lots of departments

The Brochure Was Very Appealing (Bait and Switch)

Desktop Engineer (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsThe pay and benefits were amazing.

ConsThis position was pitched as a high level technical position with "non-HR" mentoring of Desktop Analysts (The next tier down).

The job is actually an entry level tech support position, which allocated 0% of my skills. You will have zero influence of the Desktop Analysts as they on on their own agendas. Management will not back you up.

Your job duties will be: Revert Java version to version 6.18 and Internet Explorer to version 8 as their Oracle system is antiquated. You will also migrate data to new laptops every time a newer model is available to users.

You will also work the front desk assisting support walk-ins for the entire company and contact employees as their guests arrive.

My original manager had all direct reports removed, but appeared to remain in charge.

Advice to Senior ManagementWords escape me on what to suggest. My manager played Legos in his office more than he made technical decisions, so I believe he had no power or influence over his direct reports.

Management lied about me missing a front desk shift and laid me off (nice severance though, 2 months pay/benefits) due to productivity.

Beware!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Choose your own adventure

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsViaSat provides just enough infrastructure for its employees that anyone with passion, initiative, and a track record of excellence in their work can find support for their career development. Titles are not important at the company, and one's career path is not just a function of their degree plus years working. This doesn't always line up with how people are wired; I can imagine some employees would become disgruntled if they aren't handed promotions or growth opportunities after some time has passed since their last one.

The company invests quite a bit in continuing education & development opportunities, including tuition reimbursement programs and sponsorships for advanced degrees. The culture is very open and collaborative. This company is full of really really smart, good people.

ConsAs the company grows and our programs become more large and complex, the average time between reassignments becomes longer. It used to be that a program would last 6 months, or a "long" program was a couple years. So one could reasonably find themselves with opportunities to switch between programs or even business units relatively regularly, if they wanted to. Now that the programs are longer, career mobility is usually defined by moving up within a program team or discipline, with fewer opportunities to switch between product lines, disciplines, or business areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. It's hard to preserve the small "startup" culture & feeling among employees as the company grows, but it's great that so many people are working together to try their best to accomplish just that.

Constant management changes, not enough growth opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEngineers and Program managers are professional & great to work with.

ConsThe Operations group is dysfunctional.

Company built on innovation and its employees...and it shows.

Engineer (Current Employee) Carlsbad, CA

Pros-Very smart and motivated employees
    -Awesome culture and atmosphere
    -No BS from peers, managers, and leadership
    -Free coffee, tea, and snacks
    -Free gym membership reimbursement
    -Electric vehicle charging stations

The gym is actually commercially owned and open to the public, but it is conveniently located in the middle of ViaSat's campus.

ConsInternal resources regarding business areas and products can be somewhat disorganized, incomplete, and outdated.

Advice to Senior Management-Continue innovating and recruiting good talent
    -Improve 401k fund options

Great place to work

Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsThe San Diego climate can't be beat. Also, the casual atmosphere, tons of opportunity, very smart people to work with and learn from. The company has high expectations of its employees, so you'd better have high expectations for yourself. They have a generous vacation policy which starts at 3 weeks a year and ramps up to 5 weeks, albeit it take 15 years to get to that level. Benefits are great as well.

ConsSchedule pressures are constant, seems like it's always crunch time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Great work environment but HR does not thinks about employess

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHire fire organisations. Twist and turns customer requirements to meet them.

ConsGreat products but very bad customer ethics

was far more customer focused as WB

Management (Former Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsFlexibility, solid benes, outstanding HR dept

Consthe good ole boys network. Too many DTV and Dish retreads now. Can be very "clicky". Used to be very contributory, new attitude now is "dont cross the boss"

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on customers, the stockholders will all benefit when customers stay around through maturation of their contracts

Fast growing, fun, seems to encourage employee development

(Current Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsI've been with the company for less than a year, but feel strongly that I will be able to grow. My organization is growing and my department manager is great. That being said I can tell that others departments with in the organization are not managed as well. Most if my coworkers have come from top aerospace companies so there is a ton of knowledge and they understand the importance of the casual company culture. My manager is bright, energetic and driven - she really had a vision for our group which is exciting.

Compared to where I came from this company is young and agile which is great because you don't have a lot of old guys stuck in their ways. Healthcare is great and the cost can be cut in half just by participating in a screening. Free gym membership is a huge plus, made even better by the fact that they don't seem to mind if you duck out for an hour around lunch to go - you'll likely see someone in senior management doing the same thing.

ConsAfter working in a traditional corporate environment I grew accustom to org charts and titles. Those aren't important here, but they are still important to me. An org chart would make it easier to know who to go to at times and more distinct titles would help clear up some of the role responsibility issues. Pay is on the low side for the area, however there are a lot of perks that come with the job

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher pay. Listen to your employees if they are grumbling it's for a good reason and luckily the organization is small enough to fix these issues before they grow out of control.

Worked for ViaSat? Contribute to the Community!