ViaSat

Updated January 26, 2015
3.5

ViaSat Chairman and CEO Mark D. Dankberg
Mark D. Dankberg

Pros
  • Really good work/life balance with a lot of flexibility (in 9 reviews)

• It is a very casual work environment, which can be an adjustment for anyone coming from a (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours with horrible work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• You won't get to work on the cutting edge software/technology like other companies in the bay (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Better than most.

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employees fairly well respected. Knowledge and use fo knowledge is rewared. Very good benefits. Pay is adequate. Work is challenging and engaging.

Cons

There are plenty of large heads that steer projects in emotionally or power driven directions. People with no skills in a specific area are given the power to rule over groups in that area.

Trust the people with experience and knowledge instead of the people you play golf with.

Engineer & Technology Oriented Company

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff/Lead Antenna & Microwave Engineer in Duluth, GA

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are the kind of person that wants to work on cutting edge technology and contribute, this is the best company for you. Compensation & bonus are generous. Health insurance is top notch. ViaSat has unlimited sick days, this shows how much ViaSat trusts their employees in not abusing sick days. I am a through and through technologist and ViaSat, Antenna Systems has been very satisfying to work for. I asked them for $1.5M+ research fund, right after I started working for AS, to develop new technology, and they put their faith in a new employee like me to develop it and their trust in me made me work hard and deliver results. I really think this company has a great future, as long as Mark is at the helm.

Cons

ViaSat being a big company has a bit more red tape than I am used to, but understandable as ViaSat is a big company that deals with government contracts. I came from a very small company, where I wore different hats as the situation demanded, but here I feel a bit restricted. But then again I am NOT working 60+ hours like I did in my previous employment.

Keep doing what you are doing, not much needs changed.

ViaSat CUlture

I worked at ViaSat

Pros

Engineers have a lot of say with the direction of projects.

Cons

No centralized leadership when it is decision time. Decisions are made in a group, adding considerable time. Customers know that ViaSat is always late with deliveries.

None

Not military Friendly

I worked at ViaSat full-time

Pros

The ViaSat company offers good salaries, has many dedicated workers, excellent benefits, and competent trainers. Their facility is kept clean and orderly.

Cons

ViaSat is not as military friendly as they make themselves out to be. They also demand a lot of time away from family/home (which, to be fair, is not kept secret when applying for the job).

Be more considerate of those who serve in the military and their commitments to their country, especially if you know they are reservists or members of the National Guard when hiring them.

Could be great but too many roadblocks

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people and the casual environment are great. The industry is cool.

Cons

Too many roadblocks to getting anything done.

Stop insisting on doing the same old things the same old ways while demanding different results.

Phenomenal Workplace

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Love the down to earth feel of this company, every employees dream company to work for

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about this company

ViaSat Response

Dec 8, 2014Company Representative

Thank you for the kind words. Wishing you the best!

Great Company!

Current Employee - Quality in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Quality in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Challenging work, great culture. Flexible work hours. Company cares about Employees.

Cons

Nothing to say about this Company at this time.

Hostile environment, Poor managers create a very unhealthy work place, will not recommend this place to anyone!

Former Employee - Auditor in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Auditor in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat

Pros

Casual environment, education reimbursement, company has potential to be a great place to work but.....due to lack of leadership the place is miserable.

Cons

Worst management I have ever witnessed. Managers that blame their employees for their own lack of leadership, managers that allow bullying and turn a blind eye to daily harassment by coworkers, a miserable, unethical work experience that I will never forget. I am so happy I do not work here anymore.
    The expense report function is awful with the mean, unkind representative they have working there. Don't travel or you will have to deal with the TROLL! She is awful, poor relations with all employees, mean, lack of customer service, calls employees IDIOTS. The worst experience of my life.

Read the complaints or suggestions from your employees. You put a 360 out there, USE IT! Get the whole picture of a situation before you make poor decisions based on false comments. Worst job I have ever had due to the lack of leadership of a finance manager in place. Pay attention to your employees, look at the metrics, who is performing the best? Who is providing customer service with a smile? who isn't? Get the employees help in their weak areas.

Great place to work for the most part

Former Employee - Security Associate in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Security Associate in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat full-time (more than a year)

Pros

ViaSat really did treat it's employees well in my view. Benefits are great, workplace culture is fantastic, campus is nice. On the surface it's all gravy. Management was nice enough and seemed attentive. As with any workplace this is all dependent on your team and what kind of pressure they're under. ViaSat is growing quickly, but is still relatively small and the culture is very young and startup like.

Cons

First thing I noticed: nepotism is rampant. You will quickly notice that there are a lot of the same last names on offices and cubes around campus... You'll grow to recognize the various "dynasties" in the company; husbands, wives, and children working in the same department. These are the families that either helped found the company or were some of the first employees. They're all pretty highly placed now, and they're untouchable. You're expected to venerate them and "The Founders," or the three guys who started the company a couple decades ago. It feels almost "cultish" sometimes.

Also, upward mobility is limited. It seemed like nobody left, so you're stuck waiting for someone to retire or be promoted (rare) before you have an opportunity to move up.

Salary is just average for this type of company in California; beware if you are single. To live in San Diego County you really need to either be married/paired up in a dual income situation, or have roommates and live in a lower income area. It's super expensive down here. I ended up being hired away by a competitor who offered me close to a 30% raise.

My management was pretty great, but maybe lay off the cultish stuff? Also, try to open opportunities for employees to grow. Everyone is sitting around waiting for people to retire so they can move up.

Very intense company/technology focus. lots of very smart people with great knowledge.

Former Employee - Consultant- Bus Devel in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant- Bus Devel in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding products and a desire to make them even better. These folks want to be the best in the SatCom business and will work towards this end.

Cons

Some managers are so self absorbed that they fail to manage or care, I noted some internal rivalries between their offices in Colorado and California. No coordination of efforts whatsoever at time.

Insure that your senior managers take time out to learn from attendance at management seminars

ViaSat Photos