ViaSat Reviews

Reset

1. Network Operations Center Technician

Current Employee - Network Operations Center Technician in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Network Operations Center Technician in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at ViaSat (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun team and work environment
    Very casual dress code
    Great amenities on campus

Cons

No communication between groups
    Lack of substantial growth opportunities between tiers
    Low pay rate for the industry

Advice to Management

Communication and processes between departments and tiers need better communication and flow.

2. Analyst

I have been working at ViaSat full-time

Pros

-great benefits
    -company with a vision
    -great work/life balance
    -company continues to grow

Cons

-no career paths, people stagnate
    -lack of visibility

May 6, 2015Company Representative

Hi...thanks for taking a moment to write a review. It's great to hear that you're enjoying so much of the ViaSat experience! In terms of "no career paths," we don't create/communicate formalized ... More

Denver office

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at ViaSat

Pros

The benefits, in aggregate, are some of the best I've seen. Solid health care plan, good 401k match.

Cons

Almost no career pathing or promotion from within. Almost all senior position hires were from outside.

Very weak bonus program. Only 30% of employees get ANYTHING, which means that after bonuses are handed out, 70% of the people are bummed out and unmotivated. Even the 30% who get something don't all get full bonuses. The amounts range from skimpy up to 10% of salary.

Advice to Management

Promote from within more, and recognize more employees with bonuses.

Engineer

I worked at ViaSat full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Excellent Coworkers
    CEO with a plan
    Good technology
    A choose your own adventure career path, which can be a pro but also can be a con. Good for go getters

Cons

Average salary
    Like most jobs, your satisfaction depends highly on what group you are assigned.
    No formal career path / hierarchy leaves the potential for stagnation

May 6, 2015Company Representative

Hi...just wanted to take a moment to thank you for writing a review. I see that you are a former employee...so we wish you the best your next chapter and thank you for everything you contributed to ... More

Great company, bad experience in recruiting department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at ViaSat full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great campus, casual dress code

Cons

I would not recommend working for the recruiting department. If you are interviewing make sure to ask a LOT of questions. You can expect to work very long hours to even come close to feeling caught up, the phone screens are unnecessarily long for what is actually needed to find out if a candidate is viable so you end up spending hours on the phone with no time to source, there is very little training, the work load is ridiculous and on top of that the managers micro-manage and nit-pick everything their employees do. If you submit an offer to be approved you can expect to be criticized about what you didn't do right instead of congratulated for your accomplishment. I should note that what is "right" changes with the wind here...there is no consistency. They find reasons to personally and professionally attack their employees, even the hardest working ones. On multiple occasions I witnessed each member of recruiting management gossip about their own employees in addition to staff outside of the department (including other managers and executives). They are unprofessional and disrespectful.

Advice to Management

Bring in new management for the recruiting department

May 5, 2015Company Representative

Within the last year we've received a lot of feedback regarding our recruiting process and department in general. We are in the process of thoroughly examining both and the result of this inquiry ... More

Want to work for a Narcissist then try VIASAT

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The actual work is challenging and sometimes leading edge , but mostly bleeding edge.

Cons

This company acts like a classical Narcissist. Almost everyone in managment seems to thrive by exhibiting conceited, argumentative, or self centered traits.This is a long-term pattern of abnormal thinking, feeling, and behavior that is played out from the interviews into every project that you will work on. These company traits are peculiar or disturbing when management encourages everyone to act this way. Now some thrive in this culture but they become like sharks and the workers become bate. There are meetings that are devoted to finding people in the company who can or will be laid off. This happens regularly , I know I have sat through them. Then there are the stalwarts who have been at the company for many years and they are untouchable . Overall if you can swim with the grate white then maybe you could survive in this company.

Advice to Management

Act like adults and look at yourselves. Most of you would not even pass your own hiring criteria.

Seriously Disappointed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

I worked at ViaSat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with some really great people in a nice environment.

Cons

Management is seriously toxic and dishonest. Don't believe anything they tell you. Even people doing good work live in fear for their jobs. Don't get comfortable there or you could be in for an ugly surprise. This negates all the potential positives of the place.

Advice to Management

They don't listen so why try to help them.

Bad experience

I worked at ViaSat

Pros

none that come to mind

Cons

Politically charged environment with no possibility for career advancement unless you play "the game" . Good performance and reviews are not recognized. Everyone is paranoid about making a decision and facing a firing squad. Too many bad apples in Sr. Mgmt positions.

Advice to Management

You need to empower your employees, provide a more competitive compensation plan and get rid of those bad apples who are reign fear and stifle creativity.

ViaSat

I have been working at ViaSat

Pros

Cool surfer culture...the beach is close. What else could I say to fill 20 words.

Cons

No Accountability, lots of cons. I hope this is anonymous. Bad pay...

Run for your life

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice campus, cafe, coffee shop, some good people

Cons

Overworked and underpaid is the motto. And you will be heavily overworked and the pay is not sufficient for living in SoCal. Management is technically incompetent which makes projects more time consuming, over budget and buggy.

Advice to Management

There is way too many managers. Get rid of the useless managers and hire more engineers and pay them better!

RSS Feed </> Embed