Viacom

www.viacom.com

Viacom Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jun 22, 2014
Viacom – US – “MTV Networks Christmas Party 2003 at Hammerstein…”

Viacom President, CEO, and Director Philippe P. Dauman

Philippe P. Dauman

Pros
  • They have a great work/life balance, especially with Summer Fridays(in 11 reviews)

• Fun company, laid-back work environment(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • In times square, poor compensation, cog in a machine, a lot of red tape, constant turnover(in 6 reviews)

• They are stuck in the 90s with upper management(in 4 reviews)

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

West Coast Series Production Management Internship

West Coast Series Production Management Intern (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsLocation. Paid internship. Great co-workers and department. Responsibility is encouraged and rewarded.

ConsLot of paperwork. Not much access to content.

Interesting place to work, low salaries, good benefits

Department Assistant (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsInteresting people to work with, great benefits, reduced hours during summer. Overall fun group of people to be around. Decent variety of food nearby including food trucks.

ConsLow pay, difficult to get promoted, depending on departments didn't seem like people stuck around for too long. Viacom seems to have no problem cutting the number of employees to please shareholders.

Lots of opportunities, if you're willing to take them

Intern (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat experience working with big media, and lots of opportunities to make make long lasting relationships with your peers and higher management. Also, great place to explore the many opportunities entertainment has to offer. Casual work environment. Paid internship always a plus.

ConsMovement inside the company is almost impossible, certain departments seem lacking in initiative, could have had more interaction with higher ups

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement treats their interns well. I haven't had any other experience with big media, but the treatment is perceivably better than any other big media corporation. I'd suggest more opportunities to talk with other parts of management within the department so interns get a more well rounded feel for where they work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, good benefits

Casting (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsRelaxed environment , great company culture

ConsParking, nothin bad to say

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Well paid to be disappointed

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsThe pay is really good and they are flexible with your schedule.

ConsBad management that doesn't listen to its developers. Not a "tech company" even though it is in the space.

Cool properties and projects, manageable workload, excellent benefits

Manager (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsBenefits are excellent--401k, healthcare, vacation and sick leave as well as bonus days off and summer Fridays are wonderful.
    There are fun projects to work on and a sense of excitement while doing so. On the digital
    side there are some great properties and there is a sense of pride in being a part of those.
    Senior management are nice and approachable people genuinely interested in employee well-being. I see them as hard-working and competent allies.

ConsNon-productive sacred cows linger for years long after their skills have deprecated and negatively affect morale.
    No west coast career path.
    Your wings are clipped--innovation just isn't in the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn what people actually do day-to-day. Sometimes it's nothing.
    Take a deep dive into middle management and remove non-leaders from leadership positions.
    Think more strategically with content instead of worrying about protecting it.

Great place to work

Intern (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsYou learn a lot and the teams are fairly small-medium.

ConsThe Santa Monica office is small so fewer jobs are available

Exciting at first, but offensive management, low morale and insulting pay ruined everything

Content Coordinator (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsThe single best reason to work at Viacom is because it looks good on a resume. I worked with some talented individuals, but there was little to no sense of pride in anyone's work. There were opportunities to drink free beer, but not with the most talented minds at Viacom. The health benefits are quite good. Once every year or so there is free In'n'Out.

ConsThe environment was incredibly clique-oriented and much of the management is simply passive aggressive. The pay is lower than average while the stress is incredibly high, and the company's business models are not designed to reward good content--only good sales executives. Regularly employees are burdened with a ton of responsibility but denied agency and authority to execute creative solutions. Job titles almost never reflect the work done by the employees. There is very little interaction amongst companies. Bicoastal management is simply bipolar--the NYC and Santa Monica offices are almost never on the same page. Regular full-time positions are often axed completely, leaving the rest of the employees to pick up the slack when the jobs are never filled again, or, if they are filled, they are filled with freelance positions or unpaid internships. Some managers show so much animosity towards their employees that they often remark, "I don't have to say thank you because I give you a paycheck."

Advice to Senior ManagementStop handing out iPods and Slap Chops at Christmas instead of bonus checks--it's insulting. Foster higher morale by rewarding hard work with bonuses--or at least additional time off--and saying "thank you" to the employees that deserve it. Don't publicly congratulate higher management in front of scornfully underpaid underlings, because it fosters resentment.

Worked for Viacom? Contribute to the Community!