Viacom
www.viacom.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Viacom Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
Viacom – US – “MTV Networks Christmas Party 2003 at Hammerstein…”

Viacom President, CEO, and Director Philippe P. Dauman

Philippe P. Dauman

Pros:
  • "Relishes the job and doesn't mind work-life balance disruption"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Fun company, laid-back work environment"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "In times square, poor compensation, cog in a machine, a lot of red tape, constant turnover"
    in 6 reviews
  • "No positions for entry level in the Fiance department"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Best internship I've had

Intern (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsCountless entertainment events, good benefits, newest and most innovative media strategies and managers who make sure you're getting the most out of the experience

ConsLocation is hectic and hours are long

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstaffed

Incredible People

New York, NY

ProsPeople are not only friendly, but really go out of their way to help you with anything that you need. I love my team, they have supported me in every way regarding my personal life and career. They have a great work/life balance, especially with Summer Fridays.

ConsGetting a full time offer is difficult.

Could be good

ProsGreat benefits, lots of room to move around when opportunities arise.

ConsCertain networks, and certain departments there in have leaders who leave a lot to be desired.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sr Analyst, IT support related role- Viacom formerly branded as MTV Networks (MTVN)

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsYou will work very hard for very little incentive (24/7 at times), but company is very good at benefits like a paid volunteer day (if you can get the time away to attend), health benefits, and they put a lot of money and effort into decor. Occasionally they will also host local companies to come in and cook for the employees, sell their wares, or have fun contests (say to pick the next new vendor for cookies or coffee). Great place for internships and for inexperienced employees.

ConsYou will work very hard for very little incentive (24/7 at times), but you get little recognition or reward; 0-3% raises each year depending on your managers input. You will find absentee managers, directors, and VP's who are hardly ever in the office (IE not working & no, they aren't working from home or on the road). High turnover, a lot of IT jobs are in/outsourced. They no longer offer pensions.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay non-managerial employees more. Reduce the senior management team. Hire more highly qualified IT professionals that are able to communicate an idea competently and well to those they serve. Take action to address and reduce high turnover. Allow all employees mobility, encourage it, it will lead to a better understanding of the business overall and create greater appreciation for others.

Interesting place to work, low salaries, good benefits

Department Assistant (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsInteresting people to work with, great benefits, reduced hours during summer. Overall fun group of people to be around. Decent variety of food nearby including food trucks.

ConsLow pay, difficult to get promoted, depending on departments didn't seem like people stuck around for too long. Viacom seems to have no problem cutting the number of employees to please shareholders.

It's great...until it's not

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsAmazing employees and culture amongst peers. Great health benefits. Summer Fridays and flexible work schedules.

ConsLow salaries and difficult to advance due to intense politics. They make you feel small and worthless, won't promote until you give your notice and even then the counter offers are not competitive. Inflated titles for young employees with limited experience.

Great`

ProsFun and lively place to work

ConsLong hours can be exhausting

Pros probably outweigh Cons....

Coordinator (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsBest perks of working at Viacom is all the stuff going on all the time whether it's taking a class to update your knowledge on specific computer programs or it's the summer Fridays! Which is the best perk of any job I've ever had!

ConsIt can take a very long time to get promoted in the company and advance in your career.

Fast-paced exciting work environment

Intern (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat company culture and values. There is a lot of room for growth and networking.

ConsLow salary and decent benefits

Lots of opportunities, if you're willing to take them

Intern (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat experience working with big media, and lots of opportunities to make make long lasting relationships with your peers and higher management. Also, great place to explore the many opportunities entertainment has to offer. Casual work environment. Paid internship always a plus.

ConsMovement inside the company is almost impossible, certain departments seem lacking in initiative, could have had more interaction with higher ups

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement treats their interns well. I haven't had any other experience with big media, but the treatment is perceivably better than any other big media corporation. I'd suggest more opportunities to talk with other parts of management within the department so interns get a more well rounded feel for where they work.

Worked for Viacom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Viacom reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Viacom CEO Philippe P. Dauman. All 171 reviews posted anonymously by Viacom employees.