Viacom Reviews

Updated September 13, 2014
3.8

Viacom President, CEO, and Director Philippe P. Dauman
Philippe P. Dauman

Pros
  • They have a great work/life balance, especially with Summer Fridays (in 11 reviews)

• Fun company, laid-back work environment (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • In times square, poor compensation, cog in a machine, a lot of red tape, constant turnover (in 6 reviews)

• They are stuck in the 90s with upper management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great learning experience

Current Employee - Client Service Representative  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere, enjoy coming to work.

Cons

Very hard to move up.

Decent

I worked at Viacom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Perks are good (not as good as the ones in NY), great work life balance, work hard - play hard! Looks great on the resume

Cons

perks available in the NY offices are exponentially greater than those offered in the region offices (excluding LA). Office politics plays a large role in promotions, etc. There can be some cattiness from time to time as well.Pay could be a little better

Stop letting promotions be a popularity contest

The Culture

I have been working at Viacom full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

many perks, but you have to make them

Cons

you have to take charge of your career or you'll never move

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Experience at Viacom

I have been working at Viacom as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Culture is amazing! People are very willing to help and there is a helpful, collaborative environment.

Cons

Media is everchanging, which keeps it dynamic, but it is also difficult to keep up with everything.

Anything goes!

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you enjoy the entertainment sector, this may be the company for you. If possible, talk to the previous job holder who worked for your Boss, and find out why they left the job and what advice they would give you for the job responsibilities, culture and management style of the Boss.

Cons

My Boss at Viacom was totally unprofessional and bordered on "crazy." She enjoyed putting me down in front of extra large meetings. I asked her in private why she thinks I would like being shamed in front of new colleagues at Viacom...she said "can't you take a joke?" I have a great sense of humor and I know how to handle jokes, ribbing, etc. Her jokes were to cut you to the bone and then make everyone underneath her laugh nervously (in order to keep their jobs) and then look at you with glee. After two more time episodes of being shamed in front of larger groups of
    colleagues, I talked to HR. They told me she has had six nannies in three months quit at her home and she would have many more direct reports quitting too if it wasn't such a difficult job market. I asked has she ever stopped this demeaning behavior and they said "No." I found a new job and I was thrilled to leave this abusive Boss.

Please have sensitivity training for your Directors, V-P's and up. My boss at Viacom was as insensitive as I have ever encountered in my career.

Superficial, But Great For Your Resume

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The perks of interning here are that they own several well known brands. It will be a big boost to your resume and it is a fairly easy internship to land. The whole process was literally one interview and a decision within 2 weeks after.

I had an unfortunate experience here overall, but this was not the case for the majority of interns. The lodge is great and they subsidize food prices for Viacom employees. The building itself has some cool floors that can stimulate the imagination. HR seemed interested in hiring interns full time upon graduating, which is great! Also, the interns get some cool events to go to from time to time.

Cons

My superiors were immature and unprofessional. I felt like I was in highschool with this company culture. I am humorous, gregarious, and enjoy conversing with others. In the office though, I didn't feel like I could be myself without strict scrutiny. My superiors constantly complained about their jobs and gossiped. As an intern, I felt insignificant.

My workload was mostly mind numbing work that other people didn't want to do. I had no opportunities to show my creative strengths. This is typical for most internships though :/

The "competitive pay" is not competitive. This was actually the lowest paid internship I've ever done (10/hr)

The Times Square location sounds exciting, but is a major pain. Once the romanticism dies, you are left with a rough commute, pushing through tourists, and wondering if you still have a soul :P

I can only speak for the internship program, but...

I definitely think pay should increase to 15/hr for interns. They could trim down the amount of interns they take from 400 to 250 or so to afford this. They would recruit better talent from around the US instead of just the Northeast area this way. It would be a great move for diversity and company culture initiatives.

Human resources should call applicants when trying to pair them with a proper department. Incredibly vague job descriptions and email communications can seriously hinder proper talent placement.

There should be opportunities for interns to explore other areas they are interested in beyond informational interviews. It would be great to job shadow once or twice in a different department to make new connections in the event that your internship experience is less than stellar. This would be a win-win situation for everyone.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Publicist  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Publicist in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Viacom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, good leaders, many perks, respectful co-workers, good hours, nice vacation time, summer Fridays, good maternity leave, bereavement time off, overall great place to work, good overtime opportunities during awards shows

Cons

Hard to rise through the ranks, facilities management stinks, budget cuts, hard to get time off sometimes, lay offs periodically, new SVPs take a while to get their bearings, hard to balance work and life sometimes

One of the best internships I could have asked for.

Former Employee - Music and Media Licensing  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Music and Media Licensing in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great office culture, tons of opportunities to meet other interns, workshops to help with finding jobs, and everyone was really nice. I was trusted quickly and was able to contribute more to the team than a normal intern. By the end of my internship, they had me doing real work and it made my resume that much better.

Cons

Now that they've added compensation for their interns, it's much better. Otherwise, I have no complaints about my internship experience.

So far a really great place to work

Current Employee - Director  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great balance, management that I feel like I can communicate openly and honestly with. Flexibility. Nice people. Great benefits.

Cons

Salaries are on the low side.

Viacom

I have been working at Viacom

Pros

Great work atmosphere and excellent benefits

Cons

There are no cons at all!

Worked for Viacom? Contribute to the Community!