Viacom Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.8

Viacom President, CEO, and Director Philippe P. Dauman
Philippe P. Dauman

Pros
  • They have a great work/life balance, especially with Summer Fridays (in 11 reviews)

• Fun company, laid-back work environment (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • In times square, poor compensation, cog in a machine, a lot of red tape, constant turnover (in 6 reviews)

• They are stuck in the 90s with upper management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a good place to work our grow

Current Employee - Audio Visual Technician  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Audio Visual Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom full-time for more than a year

Pros

The offer free coffee and there is a good view of times square

Cons

The do not offer adequate compensation to their employees. The general office culture is not very inspiring and they really do not offer much in vertical movement with in the organization.

It would be wise to invest in your internal talent, which, If you offer more of a competitive compensation package, you would have more of.

This isn't an agency, it's a cash cow for Viacom's ad sales.

I worked at Viacom as a contractor

Pros

No one knows what they're doing - which means it's a pretty coasty place to work.

Cons

No one knows what they're doing. You will get nothing for your portfolio working here & your real skills will depreciate the longer you stay here. There's nothing creative about this place. There's no room for growth. No benefits if you aren't lucky to score a staff role - and no work you can be proud of.

Destroy everything and start again. You're supposed to be the experts on the millennial audience - start by understanding what a real agency and a real workplace looks like. This is not a cool place to work. The product we put out sucks. This place offers nothing palatable to an actual millennial.

Penny-wise, dollar-foolish

I have been working at Viacom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people there are nice, aside from upper management, who have completely lost touch with the rest of the employees. The benefits package they offer is also good, at very little cost to the employees.

Cons

Workload, responsibilities, compensation. Viacom is notoriously cheap in many ways and gratuitously frivolous in others. Pay scales are all over the place. People in non-management positions are severely underpaid (as in 20%-40% below going rate) while management all make six-figure incomes.

Good, loyal, hard workers are never rewarded. Cronyism rules there. It's not about what you know, it's who you know.

Take a serious look at how low morale is and try to figure out why. Compensation will be amongst the chief complaints, along with hiring additional help instead of overburdening your existing staff just to keep expenditures on paper down to inflate stock prices.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great connections, taught me what kind of company I don't want to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great way to network. Everyone in LA or NYC has at some time worked under Viacom.

Cons

Personally I had a terrible boss which colored my experience. Poor pay.

Better pay checks make better workers, also, interns should be paid.

Fine if you want to sit at your desk and never go anywhere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom

Pros

Some managers are good. Many of the low level folks are eager. Definitely friendly folks around.

Cons

Many managers are terrible. Many of the lower levels are frustrated or burnt out. Very top heavy company. Senior levels make crazy cash, low levels make none.

Get rid of the slack. Too many unqualified people at relatively high levels. Pay attention.

Dont do it!

Current Employee - Sales Planner
    Current Employee - Sales Planner

I have been working at Viacom

Pros

Great place if you really need a job, but i'd just stay for the HS tie in.

Cons

Lots of pushy people, favortism is everywhere and you have to do something almost criminal to get a raise. If i were a manager things my be a bit easier

Listen to employess and learn to take what they say seriously. Read feedback comments listed in the break areas and no more free lunches.

Don't join Simon & Schuster

Former Employee - Editor  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom

Pros

I worked in publishing. Top management doesn't care about that. But if you work in another division, that might be good. I think that the people at some of the other divisions had a far better experience than I did.

Great cafeteria. The cafeteria is one of the best in NYC.

Cons

Company is too big. Management has no understanding of what parts of the company do. Parts of the company are starved of resources. If you work there, there's no opportunity for advancement, and the focus is on cutting costs.

Learn what your company does. Invest in the publishing arm. Or sell it to someone who cares and would invest in it.

Superficial, But Great For Your Resume

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The perks of interning here are that they own several well known brands. It will be a big boost to your resume and it is a fairly easy internship to land. The whole process was literally one interview and a decision within 2 weeks after.

I had an unfortunate experience here overall, but this was not the case for the majority of interns. The lodge is great and they subsidize food prices for Viacom employees. The building itself has some cool floors that can stimulate the imagination. HR seemed interested in hiring interns full time upon graduating, which is great! Also, the interns get some cool events to go to from time to time.

Cons

My superiors were immature and unprofessional. I felt like I was in highschool with this company culture. I am humorous, gregarious, and enjoy conversing with others. In the office though, I didn't feel like I could be myself without strict scrutiny. My superiors constantly complained about their jobs and gossiped. As an intern, I felt insignificant.

My workload was mostly mind numbing work that other people didn't want to do. I had no opportunities to show my creative strengths. This is typical for most internships though :/

The "competitive pay" is not competitive. This was actually the lowest paid internship I've ever done (10/hr)

The Times Square location sounds exciting, but is a major pain. Once the romanticism dies, you are left with a rough commute, pushing through tourists, and wondering if you still have a soul :P

I can only speak for the internship program, but...

I definitely think pay should increase to 15/hr for interns. They could trim down the amount of interns they take from 400 to 250 or so to afford this. They would recruit better talent from around the US instead of just the Northeast area this way. It would be a great move for diversity and company culture initiatives.

Human resources should call applicants when trying to pair them with a proper department. Incredibly vague job descriptions and email communications can seriously hinder proper talent placement.

There should be opportunities for interns to explore other areas they are interested in beyond informational interviews. It would be great to job shadow once or twice in a different department to make new connections in the event that your internship experience is less than stellar. This would be a win-win situation for everyone.

Sr Analyst, IT support related role- Viacom formerly branded as MTV Networks (MTVN)

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom full-time

Pros

You will work very hard for very little incentive (24/7 at times), but company is very good at benefits like a paid volunteer day (if you can get the time away to attend), health benefits, and they put a lot of money and effort into decor. Occasionally they will also host local companies to come in and cook for the employees, sell their wares, or have fun contests (say to pick the next new vendor for cookies or coffee). Great place for internships and for inexperienced employees.

Cons

You will work very hard for very little incentive (24/7 at times), but you get little recognition or reward; 0-3% raises each year depending on your managers input. You will find absentee managers, directors, and VP's who are hardly ever in the office (IE not working & no, they aren't working from home or on the road). High turnover, a lot of IT jobs are in/outsourced. They no longer offer pensions.

Pay non-managerial employees more. Reduce the senior management team. Hire more highly qualified IT professionals that are able to communicate an idea competently and well to those they serve. Take action to address and reduce high turnover. Allow all employees mobility, encourage it, it will lead to a better understanding of the business overall and create greater appreciation for others.

A lot of hierarchy, little innovation

Current Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

large company, benefits, security, good networking opportunities

Cons

hierarchy, politics, arrogance, competitive culture, lack of creativity and innovation

Innovate! Your hay days are long gone and your death is just around the corner.

Worked for Viacom? Contribute to the Community!