Viacom
www.viacom.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Viacom Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
Viacom – US – “MTV Networks Christmas Party 2003 at Hammerstein…”

Viacom President, CEO, and Director Philippe P. Dauman

Philippe P. Dauman

Pros:
  • "Relishes the job and doesn't mind work-life balance disruption"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Fun company, laid-back work environment"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "In times square, poor compensation, cog in a machine, a lot of red tape, constant turnover"
    in 6 reviews
  • "No positions for entry level in the Fiance department"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not a good place to work our grow

Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe offer free coffee and there is a good view of times square

ConsThe do not offer adequate compensation to their employees. The general office culture is not very inspiring and they really do not offer much in vertical movement with in the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be wise to invest in your internal talent, which, If you offer more of a competitive compensation package, you would have more of.

This isn't an agency, it's a cash cow for Viacom's ad sales.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNo one knows what they're doing - which means it's a pretty coasty place to work.

ConsNo one knows what they're doing. You will get nothing for your portfolio working here & your real skills will depreciate the longer you stay here. There's nothing creative about this place. There's no room for growth. No benefits if you aren't lucky to score a staff role - and no work you can be proud of.

Advice to Senior ManagementDestroy everything and start again. You're supposed to be the experts on the millennial audience - start by understanding what a real agency and a real workplace looks like. This is not a cool place to work. The product we put out sucks. This place offers nothing palatable to an actual millennial.

Penny-wise, dollar-foolish

ProsThe people there are nice, aside from upper management, who have completely lost touch with the rest of the employees. The benefits package they offer is also good, at very little cost to the employees.

ConsWorkload, responsibilities, compensation. Viacom is notoriously cheap in many ways and gratuitously frivolous in others. Pay scales are all over the place. People in non-management positions are severely underpaid (as in 20%-40% below going rate) while management all make six-figure incomes.

Good, loyal, hard workers are never rewarded. Cronyism rules there. It's not about what you know, it's who you know.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a serious look at how low morale is and try to figure out why. Compensation will be amongst the chief complaints, along with hiring additional help instead of overburdening your existing staff just to keep expenditures on paper down to inflate stock prices.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great connections, taught me what kind of company I don't want to work for.

New York, NY

ProsGreat way to network. Everyone in LA or NYC has at some time worked under Viacom.

ConsPersonally I had a terrible boss which colored my experience. Poor pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay checks make better workers, also, interns should be paid.

Fine if you want to sit at your desk and never go anywhere

New York, NY

ProsSome managers are good. Many of the low level folks are eager. Definitely friendly folks around.

ConsMany managers are terrible. Many of the lower levels are frustrated or burnt out. Very top heavy company. Senior levels make crazy cash, low levels make none.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the slack. Too many unqualified people at relatively high levels. Pay attention.

Dont do it!

Sales Planner (Current Employee)

ProsGreat place if you really need a job, but i'd just stay for the HS tie in.

ConsLots of pushy people, favortism is everywhere and you have to do something almost criminal to get a raise. If i were a manager things my be a bit easier

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employess and learn to take what they say seriously. Read feedback comments listed in the break areas and no more free lunches.

Don't join Simon & Schuster

Editor (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI worked in publishing. Top management doesn't care about that. But if you work in another division, that might be good. I think that the people at some of the other divisions had a far better experience than I did.

Great cafeteria. The cafeteria is one of the best in NYC.

ConsCompany is too big. Management has no understanding of what parts of the company do. Parts of the company are starved of resources. If you work there, there's no opportunity for advancement, and the focus is on cutting costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn what your company does. Invest in the publishing arm. Or sell it to someone who cares and would invest in it.

Sr Analyst, IT support related role- Viacom formerly branded as MTV Networks (MTVN)

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsYou will work very hard for very little incentive (24/7 at times), but company is very good at benefits like a paid volunteer day (if you can get the time away to attend), health benefits, and they put a lot of money and effort into decor. Occasionally they will also host local companies to come in and cook for the employees, sell their wares, or have fun contests (say to pick the next new vendor for cookies or coffee). Great place for internships and for inexperienced employees.

ConsYou will work very hard for very little incentive (24/7 at times), but you get little recognition or reward; 0-3% raises each year depending on your managers input. You will find absentee managers, directors, and VP's who are hardly ever in the office (IE not working & no, they aren't working from home or on the road). High turnover, a lot of IT jobs are in/outsourced. They no longer offer pensions.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay non-managerial employees more. Reduce the senior management team. Hire more highly qualified IT professionals that are able to communicate an idea competently and well to those they serve. Take action to address and reduce high turnover. Allow all employees mobility, encourage it, it will lead to a better understanding of the business overall and create greater appreciation for others.

A lot of hierarchy, little innovation

Vice President (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Proslarge company, benefits, security, good networking opportunities

Conshierarchy, politics, arrogance, competitive culture, lack of creativity and innovation

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovate! Your hay days are long gone and your death is just around the corner.

Middle School all over again

Editorial Director (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsBenefits are excellent, if you can score a staff position (Viacom relies heavily on perma-lancers).

ConsThe atmosphere is murky and cruel. Upper management seems to run on a fuel composed of equal parts fear and snark, and decisions are more like whims than solid road maps and can change without warning or reasoning. There are some good people, but the good people seldom progress to levels of power.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a plan. Stick to it. Trust your employees.

Worked for Viacom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Viacom reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Viacom CEO Philippe P. Dauman. All 171 reviews posted anonymously by Viacom employees.