Viacom Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.8

Viacom President, CEO, and Director Philippe P. Dauman
Philippe P. Dauman

Pros
  • They have a great work/life balance, especially with Summer Fridays (in 11 reviews)

• Fun company, laid-back work environment (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • In times square, poor compensation, cog in a machine, a lot of red tape, constant turnover (in 6 reviews)

• They are stuck in the 90s with upper management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Incredible People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom part-time

Pros

People are not only friendly, but really go out of their way to help you with anything that you need. I love my team, they have supported me in every way regarding my personal life and career. They have a great work/life balance, especially with Summer Fridays.

Cons

Getting a full time offer is difficult.

Could be good

I have been working at Viacom full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits, lots of room to move around when opportunities arise.

Cons

Certain networks, and certain departments there in have leaders who leave a lot to be desired.

Sr Analyst, IT support related role- Viacom formerly branded as MTV Networks (MTVN)

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom full-time

Pros

You will work very hard for very little incentive (24/7 at times), but company is very good at benefits like a paid volunteer day (if you can get the time away to attend), health benefits, and they put a lot of money and effort into decor. Occasionally they will also host local companies to come in and cook for the employees, sell their wares, or have fun contests (say to pick the next new vendor for cookies or coffee). Great place for internships and for inexperienced employees.

Cons

You will work very hard for very little incentive (24/7 at times), but you get little recognition or reward; 0-3% raises each year depending on your managers input. You will find absentee managers, directors, and VP's who are hardly ever in the office (IE not working & no, they aren't working from home or on the road). High turnover, a lot of IT jobs are in/outsourced. They no longer offer pensions.

Pay non-managerial employees more. Reduce the senior management team. Hire more highly qualified IT professionals that are able to communicate an idea competently and well to those they serve. Take action to address and reduce high turnover. Allow all employees mobility, encourage it, it will lead to a better understanding of the business overall and create greater appreciation for others.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting place to work, low salaries, good benefits

Former Employee - Department Assistant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Department Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Viacom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting people to work with, great benefits, reduced hours during summer. Overall fun group of people to be around. Decent variety of food nearby including food trucks.

Cons

Low pay, difficult to get promoted, depending on departments didn't seem like people stuck around for too long. Viacom seems to have no problem cutting the number of employees to please shareholders.

It's great...until it's not

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing employees and culture amongst peers. Great health benefits. Summer Fridays and flexible work schedules.

Cons

Low salaries and difficult to advance due to intense politics. They make you feel small and worthless, won't promote until you give your notice and even then the counter offers are not competitive. Inflated titles for young employees with limited experience.

Lots of opportunities, if you're willing to take them

Former Employee - Intern  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Viacom as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great experience working with big media, and lots of opportunities to make make long lasting relationships with your peers and higher management. Also, great place to explore the many opportunities entertainment has to offer. Casual work environment. Paid internship always a plus.

Cons

Movement inside the company is almost impossible, certain departments seem lacking in initiative, could have had more interaction with higher ups

Management treats their interns well. I haven't had any other experience with big media, but the treatment is perceivably better than any other big media corporation. I'd suggest more opportunities to talk with other parts of management within the department so interns get a more well rounded feel for where they work.

Good Company, Bad Supervisor

Current Employee - Copywriter  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Copywriter in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Fun, energetic work environment
    - Challenging
    - Good, fun products
    - GREAT location

Cons

- My supervisor seems suicidal and is determined everyone around her feel the same.
    - On top of her depression, she displays no leadership qualities or direction and is fairly uncommunicative. Unless it's about her miserable love life.

She makes what could have been THE best work environment a mental ward.

Great`

I have been working at Viacom

Pros

Fun and lively place to work

Cons

Long hours can be exhausting

Fast-paced exciting work environment

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company culture and values. There is a lot of room for growth and networking.

Cons

Low salary and decent benefits

Pros probably outweigh Cons....

Current Employee - Coordinator  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best perks of working at Viacom is all the stuff going on all the time whether it's taking a class to update your knowledge on specific computer programs or it's the summer Fridays! Which is the best perk of any job I've ever had!

Cons

It can take a very long time to get promoted in the company and advance in your career.

Worked for Viacom? Contribute to the Community!