Viacom Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.8

Viacom President, CEO, and Director Philippe P. Dauman
Philippe P. Dauman

Pros
  • They have a great work/life balance, especially with Summer Fridays (in 11 reviews)

• Fun company, laid-back work environment (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • In times square, poor compensation, cog in a machine, a lot of red tape, constant turnover (in 6 reviews)

• They are stuck in the 90s with upper management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

Current Employee - Publicist  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Publicist in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Viacom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, good leaders, many perks, respectful co-workers, good hours, nice vacation time, summer Fridays, good maternity leave, bereavement time off, overall great place to work, good overtime opportunities during awards shows

Cons

Hard to rise through the ranks, facilities management stinks, budget cuts, hard to get time off sometimes, lay offs periodically, new SVPs take a while to get their bearings, hard to balance work and life sometimes

One of the best internships I could have asked for.

Former Employee - Music and Media Licensing  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Music and Media Licensing in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great office culture, tons of opportunities to meet other interns, workshops to help with finding jobs, and everyone was really nice. I was trusted quickly and was able to contribute more to the team than a normal intern. By the end of my internship, they had me doing real work and it made my resume that much better.

Cons

Now that they've added compensation for their interns, it's much better. Otherwise, I have no complaints about my internship experience.

So far a really great place to work

Current Employee - Director  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great balance, management that I feel like I can communicate openly and honestly with. Flexibility. Nice people. Great benefits.

Cons

Salaries are on the low side.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Viacom

I have been working at Viacom

Pros

Great work atmosphere and excellent benefits

Cons

There are no cons at all!

Wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Finance Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Casual atmosphere and great management

Cons

No cons a great place and great people

None

Great company

I worked at Viacom

Pros

Great company to work for. Fun environment and nice people willing to help you in your career

Cons

Large company so my experience will not apply to everyone's experience. Your judge of the company will depend on the division you work for. The channel and the department.

Superficial, But Great For Your Resume

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The perks of interning here are that they own several well known brands. It will be a big boost to your resume and it is a fairly easy internship to land. The whole process was literally one interview and a decision within 2 weeks after.

I had an unfortunate experience here overall, but this was not the case for the majority of interns. The lodge is great and they subsidize food prices for Viacom employees. The building itself has some cool floors that can stimulate the imagination. HR seemed interested in hiring interns full time upon graduating, which is great! Also, the interns get some cool events to go to from time to time.

Cons

My superiors were immature and unprofessional. I felt like I was in highschool with this company culture. I am humorous, gregarious, and enjoy conversing with others. In the office though, I didn't feel like I could be myself without strict scrutiny. My superiors constantly complained about their jobs and gossiped. As an intern, I felt insignificant.

My workload was mostly mind numbing work that other people didn't want to do. I had no opportunities to show my creative strengths. This is typical for most internships though :/

The "competitive pay" is not competitive. This was actually the lowest paid internship I've ever done (10/hr)

The Times Square location sounds exciting, but is a major pain. Once the romanticism dies, you are left with a rough commute, pushing through tourists, and wondering if you still have a soul :P

I can only speak for the internship program, but...

I definitely think pay should increase to 15/hr for interns. They could trim down the amount of interns they take from 400 to 250 or so to afford this. They would recruit better talent from around the US instead of just the Northeast area this way. It would be a great move for diversity and company culture initiatives.

Human resources should call applicants when trying to pair them with a proper department. Incredibly vague job descriptions and email communications can seriously hinder proper talent placement.

There should be opportunities for interns to explore other areas they are interested in beyond informational interviews. It would be great to job shadow once or twice in a different department to make new connections in the event that your internship experience is less than stellar. This would be a win-win situation for everyone.

Great for just out of College or Highschool!

I have been working at Viacom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits package is the ONLY thing the Franklin, TN location has going for them.

Cons

Very top heavy and it is most certainly all about who you know in order to be promoted. HR not on site and very hard to get anyone in NY to contact you. Agressive work force and very little team work. Annual raise is not even a cost of living raise and there are no bonuses unless you are a Manager.

My advice would be to NY - please wipe out the Managers/Directors in Franklin and try again. Compensate better and offer bonuses to the backbone of your company...your actual workers. Value your employees.

Best internship I've had

Current Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Countless entertainment events, good benefits, newest and most innovative media strategies and managers who make sure you're getting the most out of the experience

Cons

Location is hectic and hours are long

Understaffed

Sr Analyst, IT support related role- Viacom formerly branded as MTV Networks (MTVN)

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom full-time

Pros

You will work very hard for very little incentive (24/7 at times), but company is very good at benefits like a paid volunteer day (if you can get the time away to attend), health benefits, and they put a lot of money and effort into decor. Occasionally they will also host local companies to come in and cook for the employees, sell their wares, or have fun contests (say to pick the next new vendor for cookies or coffee). Great place for internships and for inexperienced employees.

Cons

You will work very hard for very little incentive (24/7 at times), but you get little recognition or reward; 0-3% raises each year depending on your managers input. You will find absentee managers, directors, and VP's who are hardly ever in the office (IE not working & no, they aren't working from home or on the road). High turnover, a lot of IT jobs are in/outsourced. They no longer offer pensions.

Pay non-managerial employees more. Reduce the senior management team. Hire more highly qualified IT professionals that are able to communicate an idea competently and well to those they serve. Take action to address and reduce high turnover. Allow all employees mobility, encourage it, it will lead to a better understanding of the business overall and create greater appreciation for others.

Worked for Viacom? Contribute to the Community!