Viacom Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.8

Viacom President, CEO, and Director Philippe P. Dauman
Philippe P. Dauman

Pros
  • They have a great work/life balance, especially with Summer Fridays (in 12 reviews)

• The office culture is very laid back (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest complaint would be the Times Square location (in 7 reviews)

• tons of freelancers rather than full-time employees with benefits (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

So far a really great place to work

Current Employee - Director  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great balance, management that I feel like I can communicate openly and honestly with. Flexibility. Nice people. Great benefits.

Cons

Salaries are on the low side.

Anything goes!

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you enjoy the entertainment sector, this may be the company for you. If possible, talk to the previous job holder who worked for your Boss, and find out why they left the job and what advice they would give you for the job responsibilities, culture and management style of the Boss.

Cons

My Boss at Viacom was totally unprofessional and bordered on "crazy." She enjoyed putting me down in front of extra large meetings. I asked her in private why she thinks I would like being shamed in front of new colleagues at Viacom...she said "can't you take a joke?" I have a great sense of humor and I know how to handle jokes, ribbing, etc. Her jokes were to cut you to the bone and then make everyone underneath her laugh nervously (in order to keep their jobs) and then look at you with glee. After two more time episodes of being shamed in front of larger groups of
    colleagues, I talked to HR. They told me she has had six nannies in three months quit at her home and she would have many more direct reports quitting too if it wasn't such a difficult job market. I asked has she ever stopped this demeaning behavior and they said "No." I found a new job and I was thrilled to leave this abusive Boss.

Please have sensitivity training for your Directors, V-P's and up. My boss at Viacom was as insensitive as I have ever encountered in my career.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Publicist  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Publicist in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Viacom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, good leaders, many perks, respectful co-workers, good hours, nice vacation time, summer Fridays, good maternity leave, bereavement time off, overall great place to work, good overtime opportunities during awards shows

Cons

Hard to rise through the ranks, facilities management stinks, budget cuts, hard to get time off sometimes, lay offs periodically, new SVPs take a while to get their bearings, hard to balance work and life sometimes

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Superficial, But Great For Your Resume

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The perks of interning here are that they own several well known brands. It will be a big boost to your resume and it is a fairly easy internship to land. The whole process was literally one interview and a decision within 2 weeks after.

I had an unfortunate experience here overall, but this was not the case for the majority of interns. The lodge is great and they subsidize food prices for Viacom employees. The building itself has some cool floors that can stimulate the imagination. HR seemed interested in hiring interns full time upon graduating, which is great! Also, the interns get some cool events to go to from time to time.

Cons

My superiors were immature and unprofessional. I felt like I was in highschool with this company culture. I am humorous, gregarious, and enjoy conversing with others. In the office though, I didn't feel like I could be myself without strict scrutiny. My superiors constantly complained about their jobs and gossiped. As an intern, I felt insignificant.

My workload was mostly mind numbing work that other people didn't want to do. I had no opportunities to show my creative strengths. This is typical for most internships though :/

The "competitive pay" is not competitive. This was actually the lowest paid internship I've ever done (10/hr)

The Times Square location sounds exciting, but is a major pain. Once the romanticism dies, you are left with a rough commute, pushing through tourists, and wondering if you still have a soul :P

I can only speak for the internship program, but...

I definitely think pay should increase to 15/hr for interns. They could trim down the amount of interns they take from 400 to 250 or so to afford this. They would recruit better talent from around the US instead of just the Northeast area this way. It would be a great move for diversity and company culture initiatives.

Human resources should call applicants when trying to pair them with a proper department. Incredibly vague job descriptions and email communications can seriously hinder proper talent placement.

There should be opportunities for interns to explore other areas they are interested in beyond informational interviews. It would be great to job shadow once or twice in a different department to make new connections in the event that your internship experience is less than stellar. This would be a win-win situation for everyone.

Wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Finance Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Casual atmosphere and great management

Cons

No cons a great place and great people

None

Viacom

I have been working at Viacom

Pros

Great work atmosphere and excellent benefits

Cons

There are no cons at all!

Great company

I worked at Viacom

Pros

Great company to work for. Fun environment and nice people willing to help you in your career

Cons

Large company so my experience will not apply to everyone's experience. Your judge of the company will depend on the division you work for. The channel and the department.

Best internship I've had

Current Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Countless entertainment events, good benefits, newest and most innovative media strategies and managers who make sure you're getting the most out of the experience

Cons

Location is hectic and hours are long

Understaffed

Great for just out of College or Highschool!

I have been working at Viacom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits package is the ONLY thing the Franklin, TN location has going for them.

Cons

Very top heavy and it is most certainly all about who you know in order to be promoted. HR not on site and very hard to get anyone in NY to contact you. Agressive work force and very little team work. Annual raise is not even a cost of living raise and there are no bonuses unless you are a Manager.

My advice would be to NY - please wipe out the Managers/Directors in Franklin and try again. Compensate better and offer bonuses to the backbone of your company...your actual workers. Value your employees.

Could be good

I have been working at Viacom full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits, lots of room to move around when opportunities arise.

Cons

Certain networks, and certain departments there in have leaders who leave a lot to be desired.

Viacom Photos

MTV Networks Christmas Party 2003 at Hammerstein Ballroom

+ Add Photo

Worked for Viacom? Contribute to the Community!