Viacom

www.viacom.com

Viacom Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014
Viacom – US – “MTV Networks Christmas Party 2003 at Hammerstein…”

Viacom – US – “MTV Networks Christmas Party 2003 at Hammerstein…”

Viacom President, CEO, and Director Philippe P. Dauman

Philippe P. Dauman

Pros
  • They have a great work/life balance, especially with Summer Fridays (in 11 reviews)

• Fun company, laid-back work environment (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • In times square, poor compensation, cog in a machine, a lot of red tape, constant turnover (in 6 reviews)

• They are stuck in the 90s with upper management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of opportunities, if you're willing to take them

Intern (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat experience working with big media, and lots of opportunities to make make long lasting relationships with your peers and higher management. Also, great place to explore the many opportunities entertainment has to offer. Casual work environment. Paid internship always a plus.

ConsMovement inside the company is almost impossible, certain departments seem lacking in initiative, could have had more interaction with higher ups

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement treats their interns well. I haven't had any other experience with big media, but the treatment is perceivably better than any other big media corporation. I'd suggest more opportunities to talk with other parts of management within the department so interns get a more well rounded feel for where they work.

Good Company, Bad Supervisor

Copywriter (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Fun, energetic work environment
    - Challenging
    - Good, fun products
    - GREAT location

Cons- My supervisor seems suicidal and is determined everyone around her feel the same.
    - On top of her depression, she displays no leadership qualities or direction and is fairly uncommunicative. Unless it's about her miserable love life.

Advice to Senior ManagementShe makes what could have been THE best work environment a mental ward.

Great`

ProsFun and lively place to work

ConsLong hours can be exhausting

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pros probably outweigh Cons....

Coordinator (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsBest perks of working at Viacom is all the stuff going on all the time whether it's taking a class to update your knowledge on specific computer programs or it's the summer Fridays! Which is the best perk of any job I've ever had!

ConsIt can take a very long time to get promoted in the company and advance in your career.

Fast-paced exciting work environment

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat company culture and values. There is a lot of room for growth and networking.

ConsLow salary and decent benefits

IT Intern

Prosvery nice people to work with.Always available

ConsThe pay for intern is ridiculous

great experience

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGave interns a lot of freedom and flexibility
    Generally cared that we were there

ConsLocation can get congested
    Not everyone was friendly

Could be worse

Producer (Current Employee)

ProsCasual dress code. Summer Fridays.

ConsStuck in freelance (or as they say at Viacom 'perma-lance', for far too long.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue employees below the VP level to a greater degree.

It's just ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSome great perks, like Summer Fridays, if you are allowed to or able to get out of the office. Depending on the channels you are working on you can work on some great television product.

ConsVery political with limited advancement opportunities, despite being such a large organization. A lot of people have been there a very long time, creating a somewhat stale environment difficult to change.

Extremely political working environment at the NOC.

Broadcast Engineer (Former Employee) Hauppauge, NY

ProsAbility to work on a wide range of equipment and the pay was outstanding.

ConsDown sizing is like playing musical chairs. Management if always trying to fire the most experienced personal to bring in cheaper less experienced people so they can pay less for compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is business not personal. The poisoned upper management will not change, the highest paid managers need to be replaced.

Worked for Viacom? Contribute to the Community!