Viaero Wireless

Great company

Current Employee - Business in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Business in Denver, CO

I have been working at Viaero Wireless

Pros

Good pay great benefits great company

Cons

Lots of changes all the time

Wonderful company to work for.

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager

I have been working at Viaero Wireless full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Money is great. Base pay may not be above average, but the commissions can be amazing if you work hard.

Cons

Training for a Retail Store Managers without any wireless experience is not very good. You are trained about the wireless industry mostly by the employees that you supervise. Also is very stressful, as you have to meet sales goals. Pressure to meet those goals is intense. Employees have to clean the building and the parking lot. Company is constantly changing the commission structure.

Stop changing the commission structure every quarter. Changes should be done once a year. Managers should train in store other than their own. First item learned should be the 12 point audit. Not 3 months down the road..

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Grand Island, NE
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Grand Island, NE

I have been working at Viaero Wireless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with this company for 3 and a half years now in the Nebraska market. In that time I have witnessed a lot of change in the company. Its a very forward moving company, with leadership that cares about not only the bottom dollar, but the individual employee as well. I have been very impressed with this company and it didn't take long for me to realized that this is where I would make my career. The industry is constantly changing, but Viaero keeps up and even surpasses the competition in every way that it is able too. I definitely recommend seeking employment here.

Cons

Every company goes through the occasional growth pains, and we have had ours. However despite it, the company always moves forwards and comes out better in the end

You take the time to listen to the concerns of employees all the way down to the individual sales rep. Don't stop reaching out, its what makes this company great!

The work I did, I loved! But...

Former Employee - Post Within Network Operations in Fort Morgan, CO
    Former Employee - Post Within Network Operations in Fort Morgan, CO

I worked at Viaero Wireless full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked for Viaero for about fourteen months. I was one of the members of the team that helped build out the 4G network, actually, and this was my second position in wireless. I absolutely loved my work. It was a regular thing for me to put in serious overtime to learn more about the network and to address all manner of issues from Network Operations down to customer complaints, and I was very thorough at this. I was trained pretty well, and I was very proud of the vision of the company and delighted to be a part of that vision.

Cons

However, as some of the other comments have stated, there is a massive political problem. I was unerringly honest in my work, and often had to question, repeatedly, some of the answers I got regarding issues I was trying to address and fix, that affected actual customer use of the network. This was in line with something I had been asked about in one of my interviews, a very pertinent question: "Are you aware that this network's function is a life-and-death matter for many of our subscribers?" - which it is, as many customers indeed have absolutely no other way of communicating with the outside world aside from the cell network.

There was, at least while I was there, an increasingly visible insular corporate culture. The people are great, but there is something going on where those who are in charge of important things would rather protect their jobs in the short term, I think, than to face facts and express and fix problems. I myself fixed two major issues on the network that no one else solved. I did it through having to ask for help outside the company, through internet research and work with partners (which was my job) - and the day I fixed a two-year old issue that had plagued the network itself, I was let go, with the the line that "[I] ask the same questions over and over, and do not seem to understand the answers, therefore [I] must have a comprehension problem, so Viaero is not the right job for me."

I was stunned, and honestly, was so put off by this situation that I didn't collect my thoughts - but the reality was that I was asking those questions repeatedly, because the answers I got did not work. And, so, I was getting a royal runaround that I had to eventually deal with using my own resourcefulness. So, I was "fired" for essentially doing my job, and the particular cut was that it was literally within three hours or so of fixing this major network issue.

Now, I had had nothing but the highest regard for the company, because I thought of my work in terms of what is happening for the customers out on the network, and wanting to make sure they have everything we promised. I was - and am - sort of a babe in the woods when it comes to political culture within any organization, and when pushed to it, I will always defer to honesty and bluntness rather than to "play the game." Apparently, this was why I was let go, because I challenged the status quo.

It is very unfortunate, and sad, because I think the company truly has a great idea of providing wireless service to the rural areas of Colorado and Nebraska, and other places. I have very few complaints about the network itself, but I do think that there is a "We're never wrong" culture that really impedes the pursuit of excellence that this company could have. I have great respect for the owner, despite some unfortunate stories about him, and I guess, for me, it was all about "the job" - and it is very sad for me to be gone.

I know quite a bit about the network itself, and although there are some issues that need fixed at times, it is a very good wireless network, or it was at the time of my leaving. I am still subscribed to their services, now as customer, but I am able to "see into" some of the hardware processes, and it does appear there is some change, or even slow decay, in terms of a few minor aspects, that most subscribers might pass off. The saddest thing is that with the continuation of a corporate culture that is marked by a resistance to honesty - over - personal ego, this promising company will hit a brick wall, and in the meantime, contribute to its own legacy, as shown on this web page, of some very unhappy workers and former workers.

Believe it or not, I still hope at times, for something to change that I might be invited back to do work that truly does follow the company's stated vision. Many of the people there, including those same folks in the network operations group that apparently were so frightened by my honesty, are truly very talented people in their fields. I wonder if, at times, some of them may even feel afraid to truly do their work, out of fear of recrimination such as that which I had.

I think that if you are able to be politically savvy, you might do well here. But this is a wildcard, as the turnover can be generated by corporate culture clashes far more than actual effectiveness on the job. I was very effective, so much so that I got run out. This is not a good thing, so be warned. The best recommendation I can offer is "enjoy the work, but plan a contingency, because you may find yourself needing it." - I hate to say this sort of thing, but it appears to be true.

The owner of the company does seem to appreciate honesty from his employees. I know for a fact that he appreciated my own, and I had to tell him things he might not have wanted to hear! But I think that the levels somewhat below him are where the problem lies, and I am not sure why. But Viaero is too promising a venture for it to be committing slow suicide by weeding out the "questioners" and the "problem workers" who are really trying to do what they were hired to do. The network, and hence, the customer base, is suffering because of this, and of course, all this runs back to Viaero's own bottom line. I do wish the best for everyone, but from my own experience, folks ought not be fired for trying to do what they were hired to do. This was my situation.

I love my job AND this company!

I have been working at Viaero Wireless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm proud that we are truly dedicated to serving the rural areas. We talk every day about our customer needs and experiences, and are always looking to find ways to improve. We are small enough that we can adapt and change quickly to respond to customer needs and wants. We have some really talented and fun team members, too, and they do a good job of promoting from within. When I started, they set me up with everything I needed to do my job well. We have fantastic health insurance benefits that are very affordable. I've seen the company improve our products, marketing and processes over the years, and I just love my job and this company. Frank inspires me to do good work!!

Cons

As with any company, trying to find the best way of communicating effectively to all employees can be challenging.

Awesome Company!

Current Employee - Marketing in Fort Morgan, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing in Fort Morgan, CO

I have been working at Viaero Wireless full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Viaero Wireless is the best company I have ever worked for in my 20 plus year career. I am impressed with the amount of support and encouragement I receive from senior management. I enjoy coming to work everyday and find it both a challenging and rewarding experience to implement my ideas to help the company grow.

The company is very progressive and has some great things coming down the pipe.

Cons

Potential employees who are not currently living in the Fort Morgan area may be concerned about the commute. I can only say that after three months of commuting from Denver, that I am used to the drive now.

Thank you.

Fantastic

I have been working at Viaero Wireless full-time

Pros

I've worked at Viaero for almost 4 years. The owner really does appreciate hard work and will reward you accordingly.

Cons

No cons that I can think of. It's a great place to work.

Horrible company, stay away!

Former Employee - Mid Management in Fort Morgan, CO
    Former Employee - Mid Management in Fort Morgan, CO

I worked at Viaero Wireless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only reason to work for Viaero is if you can't get hired at Wal-Mart. Absolutely terrible place to work.

Cons

Too many to name. Low pay. No respect for employees. No respect for customers. Shady business getting government handouts to make the owner rich. They don't have any real customers. I saw many loyal employees get fired for being honest, or asking took many questions. It is a terrible company culture, everyone is afraid, and they should be.

Keep cashing those government welfare checks. You could at least treat your employees like human beings in the process though.

Has gone from bad to worse

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fort Morgan, CO
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fort Morgan, CO

I have been working at Viaero Wireless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have personally had a fantastic experience with the work environment. Store manager treats you with respect and always makes you feel valued at the company. Viaero actually has a pretty relaxed schedule which makes requesting days off very easy.

The service that we sell and the phones to go with it are solid. I have never felt like I was selling a service that was anything less than what we advertise.

Local based customer service center is great to work with!

I rarely see customers coming in complaining about their bill. The price they are quoted is the price they pay. No hidden fees or unexpected overages.

Cons

This is where you have to decide if the bad outweighs the good. The people that run this company seem to not understand the basics about running a business. They make poor decisions that are running the company into the ground. They modify your commissions to make sure you never get paid.

When you are hired, you are promised commission checks of $2,000 and up every month. Once you start working, it becomes clear that you will make next to nothing. There have been months where every sales person is doing so well that they have to raise the quotas to avoid having to pay out on commission.

If you are thinking working for Viaero to make money, look elsewhere. It is impossible to make decent commission checks here.

3 easy steps that will make Viaero the greatest company in Colorado.

1. Fix the commission.

2. Stop selling Alcatel Phones.

3. Stop sinking money into doomed projects like vGroove.

The place people go to work who can't work anywhere else.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Morgan, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Morgan, CO

I have been working at Viaero Wireless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Owner willing to invest in network and toys to support the network. A company that offers benefits. Some nice hardworking co-workers at the mid level.

Cons

Extreme management dysfunction. Ego-driven boys club executives with no real-world experience. Management team has either failed at other jobs, been banned by SEC or is so politically inappropriate that they can't work anywhere else. Don't count on getting your bonus - it is a pipe dream. They constantly change the targets mid-term to make sure they don't have to pay. Benefits are offered but are extremely expensive.

Pay your vendors in a timely manner. Clean up your management style of bullying, intimidation and harrassment if you don't want more lawsuits. On the other hand, the settlements are supporting a lot of new women owned businesses in these towns.