Viamedia

2.9

Mark Lieberman

Good and Bad

I worked at Viamedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great office culture, company invests a lot of money and time on sales training. A lot of enthusiasms from people who care about the company.

Cons

Unless you are hired as an account executive or manager, don't expect any recognition or much opportunity for advancement. Lots of redundant reporting and obsolete attitudes.

More diversity in management, better communication and a wider berth of opportunities would go a long way toward making an OK company great.

Sales Assistant

I have been working at Viamedia as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great work life balance. Can be fast past at times but go with the flow. Quiet environment but I like it I come in do my work and I focus on the tasks at hand. My kind of place

Cons

none that I can think of

Good company but if you are in the wring market you won't make any money.

I worked at Viamedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The schedules are quite flexible. I was able to make my own hours. If I didn't hustle, I didn't get paid. However, if I needed a day off or to do something during the day, I was always able to.

Cons

Lack of leadership and direction; I didn't make much money. Some markets do much better than others. The market where I was located was really hard to sell in because of the cable system that we were selling. I also had issues with management and getting the resources that I needed. Eventually, after giving it a good try and a few good years, I had to walk away.

Train people better when they come in the door.

I'd pass if I were you.

I worked at Viamedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It doesn't have a whole lot going for it. Viamedia has some good contracts. But those contracts could end at anytime.

Cons

Minimal sales support and unorganized reporting. Cut throat no sense of team. Weak marketing department compared to competitors. Unknown name in the business.

Very expensive benefits package.

New CEO could be headed in right direction not sure.

Extremely Poor Management

Current Employee - Account Executive in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Viamedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay starts out pretty well and it can be a fun industry

Cons

Absolutely no training.....left to sink or swim. Pricing isn't competitive for a product that isnt as good so impossible to win in a new territory.

Great company

I worked at Viamedia full-time

Pros

Wonderful company, management, co-workers extensive training program. Wonderful incentives.

Cons

None. Really no cons. Great company

Great job.

Great company!

I have been working at Viamedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is in a growth phase, which can be challenging - but the future looks very bright.

Cons

We have been through several changes this year, which is hard, but I think they will be for the good of the company in the future.

Keep the open communication going. Get out to the local markets more often.

Not even trying

I worked at Viamedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

cable television advertising should be fun to sell

Cons

it was no fun at ViaMedia because the company that they represent in the
    Chicago area has a miniscule number of subscribers

One of the worst experiences ever

Current Employee - Account Executive in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Viamedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

it is a 20 word minimum so I am still typing

Cons

-Low salary
    -No mileage reimbursement
    -Micro Management
    -1/2 of cell phone allowance
    -Low comp plan
    -Expected to grow book of business without support
    -Reports, Spreadsheets, and projections
    -High churn
    -Bad management
    -Limited income opportunity

You will be given a book of business. However, that book is very low or 20% or your budget. You will be expected to grow this book by over 300% to make goal. I wrote a fair amount of new business. But, all of the big accounts or viable prospects are assigned to senior reps or managers. Yes... You heard me. The managers carry a handful of accounts. You will be expected to hit these numbers despite having no market. You will also be expected to be in Tampa at least 2x per month (without fuel reimbursement) and attend multiple webinars and conference calls. There is no training and you will be expected to know what to do without any direction. If you make a mistake, they will pull the account and the revenue away from you. This affects your income and ability to make goal. They will "re-assign" the account to their favorites who ironically have the biggest books in the market. Most of these reps have been there the longest and developed their revenue, accounts, and income thru attrition of other reps who were fired or quit.

You have to develop your own lead lists and scrub them in the system to make sure they are not assigned or active. After doing this time and time again, I quickly realized there was nothing left to call on. Be prepared to try to develop new business from table scraps. In addition, because the core product is local TV advertising, you are now dealing with video production. This makes the sales cycle even longer if you are calling on those prospects that don't already have a commercial. The company does not have in-house production, so if you do sign someone without ad copy, expect to wait at least a month before it airs and you receive commission a month after that. I also had three of my new accounts cancel after a few months because of results.

Expect to give projections, forecasts, and spreadsheets 3x a week. The requirement is to have 135% of your budget in your projections. If you do not, regardless of how long you have been there, you will hear about from your manager. To make it even harder, they lost 1/2 of the households in this market. Therefore, if you have a prospect that would like to advertise in both Sarasota and Bradenton, you will not be able to do it. They have a minuscule number of subscribers in this market. Representing only 30% of the total households in Manatee County and 0% of the households in Sarasota. Of course, you can go to other areas to prospect... on your own dime and if it is not "assigned" or "active". They have been thru at least 5 reps that I know of in the last 4 years. This is a revolving door position. I feel that they bring in new reps for this position, have them call on previous clients, friends and family, and then terminate them then giving their efforts to their favorites. It almost feels like an organized pyramid scheme with slapstick management.

Bad business model; what does furlough days, "reallocating staff resources" say about your employer?

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Viamedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

freedom to come and go in market

Cons

No training; no support staff; cold call sales all day followed by paperwork all night. Webinars, sales chats, conference calls each week plus tons of paperwork. Upper management have huge egos and like to hear themselves talk--out of touch with local reps in local markets.

Stop talking and listen to your staff in the field and in daily operations; they make your company grow.