Viator

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
3.9

Barrie Seidenberg

Fantastic company to work for!

Current Employee - Contact Center in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Contact Center in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Viator as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

TripAdvisor merger was a great step for Viator. They have influenced a lot of positive changes in the office. Overall morale is improving.

Cons

Great time for advancement and career branching. There are a lot of great open positions. The training department is always promoting new and exciting avenues. With all of the positive changes, it is starting to feel like a team atmosphere.

Keep being that positive influence on your people. Sometimes it is easy to feel like a number but a simple "hello" goes a long way. The morale is definitely improving and we can see that you care.

Great company, strong management and lots of opportunity as part of TripAdvisor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Viator full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic product and ecommerce website. The people I interact with are bright and enthusiastic. Management has a strong sense of where they are leading to and many of them have been with the company for a long time (stable). WIth the recent sale to TripAdvisor there seems to be even more opportunities both internally and with TripAdvisor.

Cons

The company is growing so quickly, there is sometimes a disconnect between people in different departments. Typical growing pains, I guess.

Communicate more across teams and offices. Only one member of your executive team really seems to make the effort to interact and he is not in the office much

Bright future ahead

I have been working at Viator full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I started at Viator 6 months before they were acquired by TripAdvisor and have seen this company make their best efforts transitioning from scrappy startup roots to a more mature, established, strategically focused company. They have come a long way in being more competitive with their salary/compensation, and now their stock options have real value. They are investing more in their people with meaningful HR policies. procedures and training. As a bonus, the TripAdvisor acquisition comes with wonderful perks for personal travel. There are no egos in this company and everyone partners well with each other. The CEO goes out of her way to remember everyone's name in the SF, London and Sydney office.

Cons

Making meaningful changes in the company can be slow. It isn't impossible, but it takes time and persistence

So much potential, but could be so much more...

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Viator full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Enthusiastic employeees who really love what they do, love travel and love helping customers have a great travel experience. Some good product ideas from real consumers of the tours, excursions and travel - the employees!

Cons

Although the pay and benefits are not particulary competitive, it's ok because employees have a good time working together. The real issue is the Leadership. There is such unimpressive leadership in many areas of the business and absolutely nowhere to go to discuss or help improve the situation. HR is definitely not a resource, and your own leadership could be part of the problem - nowhere to go.

So much potential being wasted by ineffective leadership.

Great co-workers, inexperienced passive-aggressive executive team

I have been working at Viator full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers who work hard and help each other. A lot of collaboration. Newer execs hired are good hires. Glad to become part of the TripAdvisor family.

Cons

The current long term executives are still here. They are inexperienced in business, very much a clique, and are extremely passive aggressive toward the staff. We can only hope the new owners will see this and take some sort of action.

TripAdvisor should come in and clean house. We need better leadership that trusts the employees.

Great company to work for wonderful management.

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Viator full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company truly cares about employees great benefits and comps for tours and activities. Celebrations, catered lunches, and celebrity guest made for a fun work environment. I was always happy to come to work.

Cons

They operate a 24 hour call center and have frequent shift bids so your availability needs to be pretty open.

Less frequent shift bids to provide more balance and security to employees.

Great Company on the Rise

I have been working at Viator full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are talented and love the industry which is half the battle. The executives made a smart decision with the TripAdvisor merger. Head of HR in San Francisco is very talented and passionate about the people. Management & Leadership training recently delivered was needed and appreciated.

Cons

A lot of change gong on at the moment, but not really that big of a negative. They could do a better job at communicating what is going on in the company. Engineering leadership in Sydney leaves something to be desired. Really need to find a way to uplift that area of the company.

Keep doing what you're doing. Love the investment in HR and the people this year. Communicate to the office more often on where we are going and what we can do to help. A mission statement would be a nice compass for those of us wanting to understand how to help drive the business forward.

Inbound Call Center Representative

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Viator full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun job. Many interesting inbound calls, inexpensive tours, and many perks. Co workers were very helpful and detailed oriented.

Cons

The training agenda was inconistent and unscripted at times. The tone expressed to some trainees was demeaning in front of other trainees. A larger tv screen is needed for all trainees to see well.

Coach and Mentor staff regularly. Don't expect everyone to be perfect in the first month on the floor. .

Great company, a lot of work, little pay

I have been working at Viator

Pros

There is a lot that you can learn from your team members. The work is actually fun and I love the culture and industry.

Cons

The salary can definitely be better, and yearly reviews need to happen. Sometimes there is way too much work and never enough time.

Great Company - Need to hire strong leaders for the future.

I have been working at Viator full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company culture. Good growth potential ahead. Great location in San Fran.
    Fun, interesting industry, and lots of opportunity to get involved beyond your regular scope.

Cons

Need to hire strong leaders! HR in California needs an overall.
    We understand that we're a small company and it may be hard to attract some significant talent into leadership roles, but it needs to be a priority.

Executive team has been great - really working on communication in the organization.
    Pay attention to leadership hires as we expand!!