Vibrant Media

Updated Mar 30, 2014

Vibrant Media CEO Craig Gooding

Craig Gooding

Sad to depart

Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Vibrant Media full-time

ProsGreat people, interesting and challenging work. Management of technology department had improved a lot as switch to Agile methodology bedded in.

ConsI really hope for the sake of the company and the people left that the big reduction in (mostly) software development (including me) at the start of March 2014 proves to be the right decision for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company knows what it needs to do now to survive. You've chosen to refocus development to London - make sure you don't skimp the resourcing necessary to make that decision work.

Focus and execution will guarantee success

New York, NY

I have been working at Vibrant Media full-time for more than a year

ProsAll the major trends in online advertising like view ability, native advertising, mobile optimized web and cost per engagement play right into Vibrant Media's core competencies offer the opportunity of positive growth.

ConsPrevious CEO was not a right fit for the company resulting in a myriad of uninformed initiatives. New CEO seems to have ID'ed the issues and addressing but lots of work ahead

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate a clear vision and mission. Provide stable tracking against company goals. Continue to be transparent on company performance.

things just keep getting worse

I have been working at Vibrant Media full-time for more than 3 years

Prosif you are a "chosen one", you will get a large raise and a guaranteed bonus for the rest of the year if you sign a contract promising not to quit before years end. Work life balance is decent too.

ConsI was hired almost 3 years ago and was told then about all the good times and Xmas parties from years past and that the company was "pivoting" (they say this about once every 6 mos now) and about to turn the corner for greener pastures. I turned down another offer to work here. Since then:

*the entire C level staff quit or was let go...all within about a 3 week window (see AdAge article)
*numerous rounds of layoffs including a large one just a few weeks ago
*a lack of innovative products. we have become a copy cat company waiting for other companies to develop something cool, and then we copy it
*the lack of leadership and communication from Sr Mgmt is astounding (no true CEO or company leader)
*revenues have been falling since I got here (hence all the layoffs)
*the strategy for the company changes weekly as I have worked on so many projects that all of the sudden get eliminated so we can "pivot" to yet another direction
*the "perks" or benefits here are practically non existent
*the attrition rate here is easily the highest of any company I have ever worked for, which makes it hard to keep momentum when working on projects
*the culture has taken a nosedive since the first year I was here. Im sure all the layoffs have something to do with it

Does that sound like things are getting better?

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something creative with product. Take a risk. Do something as bold as In-text was 12 years ago. The company is dying due to lack of a product that companies want.

Great company, pivoting to become greater!

I have been working at Vibrant Media full-time for less than a year

ProsInnovative ad products - perhaps 6+ months ahead of their time.
Can-do attitude by the employees
Benefits
Work-life balance

ConsWith a recent reduction, I can see why those affected would write a poor review of the company. The company is now the right size in order to pivot towards brand engagement products and thrive. I have no regrets having joined last year.

Not a good idea to work here

I have been working at Vibrant Media full-time for more than 3 years

Prossome good people (though most have wised up and left), good work life balance and some good happy hours, if you are lucky, you will be offered a bonus to not quit.

Conswhere to begin? lack of leadership, all senior mgmt are in those positions by default due to their length with the company (whether they are competent or not), No C level execs with experience, rapidly declining revenues, no innovative products since In-text was launched (just launched mobile in 2013), at least 5-6 rounds of layoffs in the last few years (as a few others have noted, just recently laid off 20% of an already shrinking US workforce), can no longer attract top talent, no real strategy for growth (no, continuing to lay people off is not growth strategy), benefits/perks are nowhere near what other companies in this space offer (you basically get paid time off and insurance coverage), too many others to list.

Advice to Senior ManagementINNOVATE! You have become the Blackberry of adtech! Also, you will not attract talent if you keep laying people off, and the first article when you google "Vibrant Media" is about losing the entire Exec team.

while great in its infancy, lack of product and poor senior management destroyed this company.

I worked at Vibrant Media full-time for more than 5 years

Prosthe old Vibrant had many pros. people had fun working in a lively environment. Christmas parties in the Bahamas, comradery coming out of the walls, great product, senior management was very open and communicated to us and the company was doing very well. not so much anymore. I left right before the last layoff in March. One pro is that if you are "buddies" with certain people in management, you will get a guaranteed bonus so long as you do not leave before the end of the year, and will be saved when layoffs inevitably happen again in H2.

Compensation was pretty good but the benefits were sorely lacking for a tech company. Health insurance, paid time off and a non matching 401K was about the extent.

ConsVibrant has lost its way. They have old stale product that they still try to push (Vibrant has become a bit of a running joke within the industry), even though most clients no longer want it (which is why client attrition is so high) and management seems incapable of creating any product that was as great as in-text once was. They still have no answer for programmatic buying and those companies are eating Vibrants lunch. I know there were talks of getting it before I left but come on, 3-4 years after everyone else has it?This company is losing money left and right and they have no idea how to stop it.

The "strategy" seems to change weekly. Sometimes the "bright idea" is to simply create excel sheets to track sales client spends and communication. Yes, Im being serious. THIS was considered a great idea by sales management.

The company culture has become morose and uninspiring. Many people just keeping their heads down in hopes they make it through the next round of layoffs.

The company has no CFO, COO, CRO, CTO (they used to have all). Sound like a bit of an issue? It gets better - The current CEO has zero experience running a company (it definitely shows) and making business decisions, let alone a struggling company.

Senior management tends to be less than forthcoming when talking about the company health. cherry picking financial aspects to make it sound like the company is doing better than it really is, and then BOOM! Massive layoffs in the US. Many people (mostly the newbies) still buy into the idea that company is about to "pivot" (for like, the 10th time in 3 years) into something great. Never mind the fact that there is no plan to do so.

If you are actually considering working here, do yourself a favor and search for any sales rep who used to work here via LinkedIn. They will back up everything here and probably divulge even more.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company (if there is an interested buyer) for anything you can get. The longer you wait, the less you will get. Obviously.

Reality Check needed

I worked at Vibrant Media full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHad really good and smart people
Excellent work environment
Team work was paramount and everyone work together
Great culture, fun place to work

ConsVery clique'y now - no Esprit de Corps for the teams
Complete and utter Lack of leadership across the board, little to no business sense at the top
No clear cut career path
No innovation for years - old ideas and technology

Advice to Senior ManagementSaying you are 6 months ahead on products versus competiton is questionable - what innovations have been launched in recent years ? None.
Train new empoloyees
What are you pivoting ? Explain in plain language with details and be honest.
Bring back the old culture, get employees to again work together, innovate your technology to current needed standards
Talk with a realistic view and not buzz words and Platitudes - be brutally honest even if the news is not currently good. It can get better once you admit your problems and have everyone understand and work to fix them.
New leadership across the board with fresh new ideas on how you will survive in an automated world, which you do not play in currently.
Automation - what are you doing to seize this opportunity that is moving very fast ?

Once great but now struggling...

I worked at Vibrant Media full-time

ProsThe people are awesome, the "old" Vibrant culture was the reason people stayed and worked so hard. Pay was good, equipment was good, nice NYC office location. Did I mention the people, they kick ass.

ConsThe "new" Vibrant culture couldn't be more different, seems that the people don't matter anymore. All the executives that knew how to run a company have now left or been exited.

The office environment is cramped and there is never enough meeting rooms, which causes friction and means everyone is always running late.

The CEO and/or his cronies seem incapable of making a decision they will stand behind for more than a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something bold and don't let the company die on the vine.

This is not the company you are looking for.

I worked at Vibrant Media full-time

ProsA fair amount of team building and flexibility depending on your manager and role.

ConsThe company waited 12 years to innovate and now they are plugging holes. The future is questionable at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in R&D.

Ok, but going downhill fast

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Vibrant Media full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat people, fun happy hours

Consno direction, no transparency, culture is at an extreme low, hours are very long at 9-6 making work/life balance difficult

Advice to Senior Managementshare the outlook for the company to your employees so they aren't taken by surprise when you layoff 40 of them

Worked for Vibrant Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vibrant Media reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vibrant Media CEO Craig Gooding. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by Vibrant Media employees.