Vibrant Media Reviews

54 reviews filtered by

Spiraling out of control

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Vibrant Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bagel Friday
    The people
    Did I mention bagel Friday?
    Adequate benefits
    Good pay

Cons

All the C-suite left or were fired in October 2013
    Inexperienced executive staff left in place
    Just had a second round of layoffs (March and June)
    Decreasing revenues for 3+ years running
    Product suite is aging and not being replaced any time soon
    All the tech and business 'A' players have left or been involved in the layoffs
    CEO has cut himself off from the company and is holed up in France

Advice to Management

Honestly, I think the time has come to wrap it up and move on.
    Hiring is going to more difficult because of all the layoffs.
    If they do hire people, how long will they last once they hear all the stories.
    I see no future for the company past 2014.

2. Great place to work with comfortable work environment

Current Employee - Ad Operations in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Ad Operations in New York, NY

I have been working at Vibrant Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the best things about Vibrant is that there is a lot of opportunity for growth within the company, as well as learning the industry. Every department offers quarterly training, which is a great way to learn the company and helps to build internal relationships. All offices have really fun atmospheres and comfortable working environments. There is a commodore that exists within Vibrant that I haven’t seen anywhere else. This is a great place to thrive if you put the effort into knowing how your team fits into the company and how to play with the other departments.

Cons

Not so much a con, but this is a fast paced industry. If you are not able to multitask you could feel overwhelmed. All in all, my experience with Vibrant has always been positive.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication fluid and ongoing.

Once a great company, but now a shadow of its former self

I worked at Vibrant Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pros were once the people, the culture, the work, and the perks, but there really isn't much more to say today about this company other than a pay check.

Cons

I don't know if I would trust management to have the best interest of anyone else besides themselves in mind. I suppose this is a product of the state of the business.

Advice to Management

Sell the business asap.

Great place to work if you are looking for advancement, growth, and support in your career!

I have been working at Vibrant Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Support from senior level management
    - endless opportunity for growth and advancement
    - you will definitely gain exposure to learn new things
    - friendly, smart, and talented people to work with
    - laid back "fun at work" environment, but everyone works really hard!
    - great unique product suite
    - fun quarterly social events/parties
    - lots of snacks and an outdoor terrace! :)

I have been working at Vibrant for less than a year and I've learned a lot more here than at my last job, (which I was for over 2 years). There are lots of opportunities for growth, both on your knowledge and your experience.

Cons

I honestly do not have any cons on Vibrant

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Truly not the place you want to work!!!

I worked at Vibrant Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Decent people (although most left), semi-decent snacks

Cons

This is my sincere plea to whomever is reading this to really assess the reality of this company - Please hold out for something else, rather than working here for a year (if you have the tolerance) and then leaving! A mediocre paycheck is not worth compromising your integrity, talent, and most important growth. I ignored the reviews as well, and if I listened I could have saved alot of time and heartache - Don't make the same mistake as me!

Bad management - Upper management is usually determined by whether or not you have survived the company attrition. Managers have zero leadership capability, lack intelligence - (cannot propose effective solutions for broken processes), cannot grow or preserve talent whatsoever, and their lack of ability as a whole leads to pointless micromanagement, and counter-productive reform strategies. In fact, the company has given up on finding talent because real talent wouldn't dare be associated with Vibrant. Instead, Vibrant has mindless people, who lack digital experience, analytical skills, communicative skills, and even more alarming, common sense.

Culture/People - Vibrant might have had some glory days, but those days are deemed ancient. I have personally seen employees ostracized, bullied, and mentally victimized. Management and the vast majority of employees are immature and deathly un-savvy. No one is interested in collaboration, examining the wounds of the company, and finding ways to heal them as opposed to quickly bandaging (small bandage in this case) a rotting big wound. YOU ARE ONLY MAKING IT WORSE! If you are looking for a place of innovation (innovate with purpose and direction), transparency, culture, helping improve the digital ad ecosystem on a high level, and growing as an individual, you will definitely not find it here!

Sales - Majority of the sales team - who are the driving force of the business, do not understand the products - they don't know how they work, how to bring them to market, and how to really sell the branding experience to a client. That is one of the main reasons that Vibrant is financially suffering. Not only is this a huge problem, the fact of the matter is, the sales people aren't interested in learning - this is the most alarming part. They are incredibly stubborn, unpleasant, and demanding. If you are considering working in Ad operations - DO NOT DO IT! - You will be under-valued to no end - and no, this is not an industry standard - this a Vibrant standard! Sales loves to play the blame game -instead of dissecting the problem - which most of the time is due to them selling the product wrong to the client - and mending broken processes with substantial and meaningful solutions - they enjoy throwing Ad Ops under the bus. You will 100% not be rewarded for your hardwork and to boot for making money for the sales team. In fact, they usually wont even say a thank you. It is shockingly disgusting how a team that is the backbone of the company gets so little respect. Note the difference: you will be working FOR sales, instead of WITH sales. That distinction is visibly haunting. Operations knows how the system works, ins and outs of campaigns, best metrics and optimizations, and can foreshadow the success and failure of a campaign rapidly - NOT YOU SALES - Let me repeat NOT YOU.

Overall Company - Lack of communication and processes from upper Management to middle management. Strong lack of transparency from leadership. Deficit of talent. Too many products that yield mediocre results. Favoritism over true talent and leadership.

Advice to Management

- VALUE, REWARD AND PRESERVE TALENT
    - Get rid of most of upper management - that is why the company is suffering - stop promoting unqualified people - I can think of one person that really fits the bill here
    - Educate Sales on products and get a new sales team - most of them don't know how to sell - its obvious as you aren't making any revenue
    - Stop playing the blame game - it really gets you nowhere and brings down team morale
    - Become transparent - not the concept of displaying ads but the direction of the company to employees
    - Get in the Programmatic Game
    - Invest in Technology

things just keep getting worse

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Vibrant Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

if you are a "chosen one", you will get a large raise and a guaranteed bonus for the rest of the year if you sign a contract promising not to quit before years end. Work life balance is decent too.

Cons

I was hired almost 3 years ago and was told then about all the good times and Xmas parties from years past and that the company was "pivoting" (they say this about once every 6 mos now) and about to turn the corner for greener pastures. I turned down another offer to work here. Since then:

*the entire C level staff quit or was let go...all within about a 3 week window (see AdAge article)
    *numerous rounds of layoffs including a large one just a few weeks ago
    *a lack of innovative products. we have become a copy cat company waiting for other companies to develop something cool, and then we copy it
    *the lack of leadership and communication from Sr Mgmt is astounding (no true CEO or company leader)
    *revenues have been falling since I got here (hence all the layoffs)
    *the strategy for the company changes weekly as I have worked on so many projects that all of the sudden get eliminated so we can "pivot" to yet another direction
    *the "perks" or benefits here are practically non existent
    *the attrition rate here is easily the highest of any company I have ever worked for, which makes it hard to keep momentum when working on projects
    *the culture has taken a nosedive since the first year I was here. Im sure all the layoffs have something to do with it

Does that sound like things are getting better?

Advice to Management

Do something creative with product. Take a risk. Do something as bold as In-text was 12 years ago. The company is dying due to lack of a product that companies want.

Not a good idea to work here

I have been working at Vibrant Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

some good people (though most have wised up and left), good work life balance and some good happy hours, if you are lucky, you will be offered a bonus to not quit.

Cons

where to begin? lack of leadership, all senior mgmt are in those positions by default due to their length with the company (whether they are competent or not), No C level execs with experience, rapidly declining revenues, no innovative products since In-text was launched (just launched mobile in 2013), at least 5-6 rounds of layoffs in the last few years (as a few others have noted, just recently laid off 20% of an already shrinking US workforce), can no longer attract top talent, no real strategy for growth (no, continuing to lay people off is not growth strategy), benefits/perks are nowhere near what other companies in this space offer (you basically get paid time off and insurance coverage), too many others to list.

Advice to Management

INNOVATE! You have become the Blackberry of adtech! Also, you will not attract talent if you keep laying people off, and the first article when you google "Vibrant Media" is about losing the entire Exec team.

Great company, pivoting to become greater!

I have been working at Vibrant Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Innovative ad products - perhaps 6+ months ahead of their time.
    Can-do attitude by the employees
    Benefits
    Work-life balance

Cons

With a recent reduction, I can see why those affected would write a poor review of the company. The company is now the right size in order to pivot towards brand engagement products and thrive. I have no regrets having joined last year.

Ok, but going downhill fast

I worked at Vibrant Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great people, fun happy hours

Cons

no direction, no transparency, culture is at an extreme low, hours are very long at 9-6 making work/life balance difficult

Advice to Management

share the outlook for the company to your employees so they aren't taken by surprise when you layoff 40 of them

This is not the company you are looking for.

I worked at Vibrant Media full-time

Pros

A fair amount of team building and flexibility depending on your manager and role.

Cons

The company waited 12 years to innovate and now they are plugging holes. The future is questionable at best.

Advice to Management

Invest in R&D.