Vibrant Media

Updated September 3, 2014
2.4

Vibrant Media CEO Craig Gooding
Craig Gooding

Truly not the place you want to work!!!

I worked at Vibrant Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, Decent people (although most left), semi-decent snacks

Cons

This is my sincere plea to whomever is reading this to really assess the reality of this company - Please hold out for something else, rather than working here for a year (if you have the tolerance) and then leaving! A mediocre paycheck is not worth compromising your integrity, talent, and most important growth. I ignored the reviews as well, and if I listened I could have saved alot of time and heartache - Don't make the same mistake as me!

Bad management - Upper management is usually determined by whether or not you have survived the company attrition. Managers have zero leadership capability, lack intelligence - (cannot propose effective solutions for broken processes), cannot grow or preserve talent whatsoever, and their lack of ability as a whole leads to pointless micromanagement, and counter-productive reform strategies. In fact, the company has given up on finding talent because real talent wouldn't dare be associated with Vibrant. Instead, Vibrant has mindless people, who lack digital experience, analytical skills, communicative skills, and even more alarming, common sense.

Culture/People - Vibrant might have had some glory days, but those days are deemed ancient. I have personally seen employees ostracized, bullied, and mentally victimized. Management and the vast majority of employees are immature and deathly un-savvy. No one is interested in collaboration, examining the wounds of the company, and finding ways to heal them as opposed to quickly bandaging (small bandage in this case) a rotting big wound. YOU ARE ONLY MAKING IT WORSE! If you are looking for a place of innovation (innovate with purpose and direction), transparency, culture, helping improve the digital ad ecosystem on a high level, and growing as an individual, you will definitely not find it here!

Sales - Majority of the sales team - who are the driving force of the business, do not understand the products - they don't know how they work, how to bring them to market, and how to really sell the branding experience to a client. That is one of the main reasons that Vibrant is financially suffering. Not only is this a huge problem, the fact of the matter is, the sales people aren't interested in learning - this is the most alarming part. They are incredibly stubborn, unpleasant, and demanding. If you are considering working in Ad operations - DO NOT DO IT! - You will be under-valued to no end - and no, this is not an industry standard - this a Vibrant standard! Sales loves to play the blame game -instead of dissecting the problem - which most of the time is due to them selling the product wrong to the client - and mending broken processes with substantial and meaningful solutions - they enjoy throwing Ad Ops under the bus. You will 100% not be rewarded for your hardwork and to boot for making money for the sales team. In fact, they usually wont even say a thank you. It is shockingly disgusting how a team that is the backbone of the company gets so little respect. Note the difference: you will be working FOR sales, instead of WITH sales. That distinction is visibly haunting. Operations knows how the system works, ins and outs of campaigns, best metrics and optimizations, and can foreshadow the success and failure of a campaign rapidly - NOT YOU SALES - Let me repeat NOT YOU.

Overall Company - Lack of communication and processes from upper Management to middle management. Strong lack of transparency from leadership. Deficit of talent. Too many products that yield mediocre results. Favoritism over true talent and leadership.

- VALUE, REWARD AND PRESERVE TALENT
    - Get rid of most of upper management - that is why the company is suffering - stop promoting unqualified people - I can think of one person that really fits the bill here
    - Educate Sales on products and get a new sales team - most of them don't know how to sell - its obvious as you aren't making any revenue
    - Stop playing the blame game - it really gets you nowhere and brings down team morale
    - Become transparent - not the concept of displaying ads but the direction of the company to employees
    - Get in the Programmatic Game
    - Invest in Technology

Sad to depart

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Vibrant Media full-time

Pros

Great people, interesting and challenging work. Management of technology department had improved a lot as switch to Agile methodology bedded in.

Cons

I really hope for the sake of the company and the people left that the big reduction in (mostly) software development (including me) at the start of March 2014 proves to be the right decision for the company.

The company knows what it needs to do now to survive. You've chosen to refocus development to London - make sure you don't skimp the resourcing necessary to make that decision work.

while great in its infancy, lack of product and poor senior management destroyed this company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Vibrant Media full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

the old Vibrant had many pros. people had fun working in a lively environment. Christmas parties in the Bahamas, comradery coming out of the walls, great product, senior management was very open and communicated to us and the company was doing very well. not so much anymore. I left right before the last layoff in March. One pro is that if you are "buddies" with certain people in management, you will get a guaranteed bonus so long as you do not leave before the end of the year, and will be saved when layoffs inevitably happen again in H2.

Compensation was pretty good but the benefits were sorely lacking for a tech company. Health insurance, paid time off and a non matching 401K was about the extent.

Cons

Vibrant has lost its way. They have old stale product that they still try to push (Vibrant has become a bit of a running joke within the industry), even though most clients no longer want it (which is why client attrition is so high) and management seems incapable of creating any product that was as great as in-text once was. They still have no answer for programmatic buying and those companies are eating Vibrants lunch. I know there were talks of getting it before I left but come on, 3-4 years after everyone else has it?This company is losing money left and right and they have no idea how to stop it.

The "strategy" seems to change weekly. Sometimes the "bright idea" is to simply create excel sheets to track sales client spends and communication. Yes, Im being serious. THIS was considered a great idea by sales management.

The company culture has become morose and uninspiring. Many people just keeping their heads down in hopes they make it through the next round of layoffs.

The company has no CFO, COO, CRO, CTO (they used to have all). Sound like a bit of an issue? It gets better - The current CEO has zero experience running a company (it definitely shows) and making business decisions, let alone a struggling company.

Senior management tends to be less than forthcoming when talking about the company health. cherry picking financial aspects to make it sound like the company is doing better than it really is, and then BOOM! Massive layoffs in the US. Many people (mostly the newbies) still buy into the idea that company is about to "pivot" (for like, the 10th time in 3 years) into something great. Never mind the fact that there is no plan to do so.

If you are actually considering working here, do yourself a favor and search for any sales rep who used to work here via LinkedIn. They will back up everything here and probably divulge even more.

Sell the company (if there is an interested buyer) for anything you can get. The longer you wait, the less you will get. Obviously.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

things just keep getting worse

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Vibrant Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

if you are a "chosen one", you will get a large raise and a guaranteed bonus for the rest of the year if you sign a contract promising not to quit before years end. Work life balance is decent too.

Cons

I was hired almost 3 years ago and was told then about all the good times and Xmas parties from years past and that the company was "pivoting" (they say this about once every 6 mos now) and about to turn the corner for greener pastures. I turned down another offer to work here. Since then:

*the entire C level staff quit or was let go...all within about a 3 week window (see AdAge article)
    *numerous rounds of layoffs including a large one just a few weeks ago
    *a lack of innovative products. we have become a copy cat company waiting for other companies to develop something cool, and then we copy it
    *the lack of leadership and communication from Sr Mgmt is astounding (no true CEO or company leader)
    *revenues have been falling since I got here (hence all the layoffs)
    *the strategy for the company changes weekly as I have worked on so many projects that all of the sudden get eliminated so we can "pivot" to yet another direction
    *the "perks" or benefits here are practically non existent
    *the attrition rate here is easily the highest of any company I have ever worked for, which makes it hard to keep momentum when working on projects
    *the culture has taken a nosedive since the first year I was here. Im sure all the layoffs have something to do with it

Does that sound like things are getting better?

Do something creative with product. Take a risk. Do something as bold as In-text was 12 years ago. The company is dying due to lack of a product that companies want.

Not a good idea to work here

I have been working at Vibrant Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

some good people (though most have wised up and left), good work life balance and some good happy hours, if you are lucky, you will be offered a bonus to not quit.

Cons

where to begin? lack of leadership, all senior mgmt are in those positions by default due to their length with the company (whether they are competent or not), No C level execs with experience, rapidly declining revenues, no innovative products since In-text was launched (just launched mobile in 2013), at least 5-6 rounds of layoffs in the last few years (as a few others have noted, just recently laid off 20% of an already shrinking US workforce), can no longer attract top talent, no real strategy for growth (no, continuing to lay people off is not growth strategy), benefits/perks are nowhere near what other companies in this space offer (you basically get paid time off and insurance coverage), too many others to list.

INNOVATE! You have become the Blackberry of adtech! Also, you will not attract talent if you keep laying people off, and the first article when you google "Vibrant Media" is about losing the entire Exec team.

Reality Check needed

I worked at Vibrant Media full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Had really good and smart people
    Excellent work environment
    Team work was paramount and everyone work together
    Great culture, fun place to work

Cons

Very clique'y now - no Esprit de Corps for the teams
    Complete and utter Lack of leadership across the board, little to no business sense at the top
    No clear cut career path
    No innovation for years - old ideas and technology

Saying you are 6 months ahead on products versus competiton is questionable - what innovations have been launched in recent years ? None.
    Train new empoloyees
    What are you pivoting ? Explain in plain language with details and be honest.
    Bring back the old culture, get employees to again work together, innovate your technology to current needed standards
    Talk with a realistic view and not buzz words and Platitudes - be brutally honest even if the news is not currently good. It can get better once you admit your problems and have everyone understand and work to fix them.
    New leadership across the board with fresh new ideas on how you will survive in an automated world, which you do not play in currently.
    Automation - what are you doing to seize this opportunity that is moving very fast ?

This is not the company you are looking for.

I worked at Vibrant Media full-time

Pros

A fair amount of team building and flexibility depending on your manager and role.

Cons

The company waited 12 years to innovate and now they are plugging holes. The future is questionable at best.

Invest in R&D.

Ok, but going downhill fast

I worked at Vibrant Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

great people, fun happy hours

Cons

no direction, no transparency, culture is at an extreme low, hours are very long at 9-6 making work/life balance difficult

share the outlook for the company to your employees so they aren't taken by surprise when you layoff 40 of them

Great company, pivoting to become greater!

I have been working at Vibrant Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

Innovative ad products - perhaps 6+ months ahead of their time.
    Can-do attitude by the employees
    Benefits
    Work-life balance

Cons

With a recent reduction, I can see why those affected would write a poor review of the company. The company is now the right size in order to pivot towards brand engagement products and thrive. I have no regrets having joined last year.

Ok but cracks were starting to form

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Vibrant Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great group of fun energetic people

Cons

Poor product overall and lack of direction

Invest in more R&D and innovation in product development

Worked for Vibrant Media? Contribute to the Community!