Victor Treatment Centers Reviews

Reset
1.8
Douglas Scott, Ph.D.

Bookkeeper

Pros

Great support team depending upon what department you work for

Cons

There is a lot of favoritism at this company not everyone is treated fairly

Advice to Management

Respect all as individuals. Hear all sides of the stories before making management decisions. Talk to all levels of employers before making changes within job processes. Find out both pros and cons before changing procedures.

Great people but disorganized management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redding, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redding, CA

I worked at Victor Treatment Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The workers whether they were the residence counselors, teachers, social workers, or administrative staff were all very friendly, helpful and kind. The pay, while not great, was at least competitive for the market.

Cons

I was hired to do one job and they misrepresented the job and I was very disappointed with that. Also, it took over 5 weeks before I received any kind of meaning training and by that time, it was too late. I was ultimately let go because of this. In essence, I feel like I was set-up to fail from the minute I was hired. I would not recommend working here at all. It's too bad because what the company stands for is awesome...helping developmentally disabled teens/youth.

Advice to Management

Be ready to train your people right from the minute they start and not be so disorganized. Also, tell your main office in Chico to get their act together.

Broken hearted

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Victor Treatment Centers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In the early 2000's Victor was the place to be. Dave Favor and Roy Alexander, an unlikely but synergetic pair revolutionized the delivery of outpatient and residential therapeutic services to troubled youth and families. Employees were treated wonderfully, with phenomenol workshops held once a year, opportunities for upward mobility within the agency wide network of group homes, "FICS/VCCS" outpatient sites, and school based settings. Then Roy was "canned" while on vacation, and returned to find smooth operator Doug Scott the husband of Deborah Scott. Roy moved on to become the CEO of Stanford Homes, bringing his honest work style and value to another setting. Leaving staff to contend with a climate of fear and hesitancy. Talented middle management individuals left, and a divide an conquer mentality took hold. Over the next five years, multiple sites experienced a revolving door of employees.

Cons

Programs would fragment under the guise of EPSDT and medi-cal funding cuts, but it was the staff morale and massive lack of trust and integrity that proved the downfall of this once prestigious front runner in California. Following Dave Favor's subsequent death, there proved no way out. The rest is history. They say all empires will destroy themselves, and this has proven true at Victor Treatment Centers. The eagle has fallen. Hard.

Don't Work Here

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Victor Treatment Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The kids are great, only reason to work there.

Cons

No Supervision. Poor outlook and treatment of their employees.

Advice to Management

Take time to talk to employees.

Residential Counselor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Victor Treatment Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overtime is always available, accrued PTO very fast and working with the kids.

Cons

14+ hour days, you work with unreliable staff, not enough support by Admin AND RSS team and i can go on and on.

Advice to Management

Don't be bullies.

Clinical

Former Employee - Clinician in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Clinician in Stockton, CA

I worked at Victor Treatment Centers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Absolutely no positive things to say about Victor. This used to not be the case she David Favor and Roy Alexander where leading this previously incredible program.

Cons

You will be asked to lie, cheat, and fabricate reports in order to get your Medi-Cal billable hours. Don't ever dare to challenge administration, or you will be immediately released without any reason. ( At-will employment clause) If you believe you are here for the kids, you are wrong according to administration, you are employed to make Doug Scott a higher bonus each year.

Advice to Management

Remember who Dave Favor was, and more importantly remember the kids.

Victor Treatment Centers Response

Jun 8, 2015 – Human Resources Director

Please be assured that Victor does not condone fabrication of any client documentation. Victor has a comprehensive Agency Compliance Plan that meets all federal, state, and County regulations and ... More

So Sad

I worked at Victor Treatment Centers full-time

Pros

I am not sure any more. If the best thing about working somewhere is that the checks don't bounce, is there anything left?

Cons

What people have said here is true. I took the job because I needed a job. I stayed because I was part of something good. I left because they turned it into a lie.

Advice to Management

Change is inevitable. How you change is a choice. You can,justify a lot with "we need to keep the doors open," but you have forgotten why the doors were open in the first place. A business is an unforgiving mirror of the people who run it. At some point you need to stop blaming the mirror for what it reflects.

Where and how you work is an individual responsibility. Training, support and care is the responsibility of the employer

I worked at Victor Treatment Centers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked at Victor for over 18 years and while it wasn't always perfect, it gave me wonderful skills, experiences, training and opportunities that have built a season resume. I started as a Residential Counselor and worked my way up into upper management. Victor supported my education, training and creativity. With some bumps along the way, I could have left this company at any time if I became so disgruntled but I had the honor of working and getting to know many, many wonderful people along the way and that cannot be replaced! I am not sorry for my experience with Victor and am thankful to have been a part of a program which works to make the lives of their clients a little bit better. And I have touched the lives of many!

Cons

Since the loss of the founder and previous CEO, there is no doubt Victor Leadership is trying to find it's way. But, these are different times and things are different. Nonetheless, great care and resources should be given to sites in order to take care of their hardworking employees. Balance between work/life is difficult to achieve but it is the responsibility of the employee, not the employer. However, strategies for leadership to work to assist employees in achieving this would be a great vision. In the residential programs, Instructional Aides and Residential Counselors give up a lot to care for our clientele and since they are not compensated well through salary and bonuses can be a result of an expense by others, more consideration for what can be done to support this workforce, who are working the closest to our clients, should be made. Also, the current management hierarchy does not work in the residential programs when there are 100-130 employees. Additional support, training and guidance to lead a large workforce is necessary. Victor is becoming a "top" heavy program with new positions being created at the top. Possibly some of those funds could be funneled to the sites in order to assist in increasing the low wages being paid or offsetting some of the PTO deficits of school staff.

Advice to Management

Consider taking much of the great training given to executive leadership and figure out a way to get it to the deepest level of the agency (training for trainer retreats across positions). Create more opportunities for all staff at all levels to get exposure to the greater Victor experience with like positions. knowing you are a part of something bigger then your site is valuable. Truly focus on retention, figuring ways to solidify and support all positions. Retention helps clients. Determine ways to focus on the individual needs of each position, not trying to make everything the same. And above all, remember where we came from. We work with tough clients who are in need of support and caring from professionals who do not judge or condemn them, even when they make mistakes. Victor prides itself on taking a different approach; providing unconditional positive regard. This attitude must come from the top, remember to treat your staff the way you would like to be treated. Thanks for the

10. Great place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

Pros

Good place to work. Learning environment, room to grow and move up within the company. They really care about their employees.

Cons

It's a non profit and sometimes the pay may seem low as compared to for profit or corporate salaries.

Upper Management Does NOT Value or Respect their employees....

Current Employee - Clinician
    Current Employee - Clinician

Pros

I have almost 20 years in the mental health and social services field(s) in various positions (including Program Director and Administrative Leadership) and Victor (both VCSS and VTC) have the least caring, least supportive, most abusive , and most morally corrupt management I have ever seen. They find ways to get rid of anyone who says anything contradictory or challenges decisions that put the well-being of employees and clients at risk.

Cons

I have heard of and witnessed licensing violations that, if Licensing knew, would cause them to be shut down. They tell you that you should report any issues to the Quality Assurance or to Executive Management due to their "open door/confidential policy." I have experienced first hand that they do not keep confidentiality and that if you express any concerns to upper management they will use it against you. There is a lack of focus on supporting line staff with regular training. Favoritism for leadership positions is not based on aptitude, it's based on how much you are willing to abuse employees with work schedules that rob them of work/life balance and sleep at night. Victor used to be a great place to work... many years ago.

Advice to Management

Years ago there were some good strong leaders at Victor. You removed them because they cared about people, not just making money at the sake of providing the highest quality service possible. My advice....please go sell a product that if damaged can be disposed of. Human lives are not a commodity and they are not disposable.

RSS Feed </> Embed