Victor Treatment Centers

Updated October 9, 2014
Updated October 9, 2014
2.1

Douglas Scott, Ph.D.

A job for people oriented talents

Former Employee - Cook/Counslor in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Cook/Counslor in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Victor Treatment Centers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, "big brothering" wayward kids.

Cons

Sometimes short staffed, "younger" techs. vs. older techs. on what is appropriate behavior. Most of the younger techs. have never been a parent.

Let the older techs. lead with behavior patterns of the children.

Risk out weights the rewards overall.

Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Redding, CA

I have been working at Victor Treatment Centers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The fact that you can truly impact someone's life. There are some amazing people you work with residentially. The bonds you build with your team and the children will last a life time.

Cons

Middle and upper management are very dishonest. Administration don't practice what they preach and have completely lost site of the original mission. The demands they put one people below them are unrealistic. Middle management for the most part are over worked and burnt out, forced to push unrealistic expectations to the people under them. Employees who question wrong doings they see regarding client or staff treatment. Are told that they misunderstanding what they've seen or they are not inline with the mission of the company. In my time with the company I have seen some change with new leadership. Which has brought some positive change but the negative out ways it. I personally have been in meeting's that show exactly the respect A.E.D. has for the people under them. Making statements like " this is a work at will place. If they don't like it let them come see me. I'll give them a one way work to the parking lot." many variations like this. Sadly this sets the tempo for middle management. I have witnessed many great people burn out and become dishonest versions of themselves after becoming middle management. In a company that's based on taking care of people, they fail completely at caring for the individual's they serve, and they people that the ground level.

Remember who founded this company and respect his mission. Take care of the people you serve, truly put the kids first. Honor and respect the people in the trenches doing the work. If it wasn't for them holding you up, non of you would have a pedestal to look down at them from.

Out of Date Review; Hope things changed in Stockton Facilities.

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Stockton, CA

I worked at Victor Treatment Centers part-time (more than an year)

Pros

CPR Training
    Containment Training
    Lots of Hours
    Helping High Risk Kids
    Making positive Changes In their Lives

Cons

High Burn Out - People go in thinking they are going to make positive changes in these kids lives over night but serious change comes from long term therapy and most people burn out quickly due to the stress this population creates for their staff.
    Staff Can Be Abusive - I witnessed a few people who seemed like descent humans beings use their containment training in manners that violated company policies.
    Hierarchy of Authority lacks professionalism.

Hold your staff accountable for their lack of concern for the safety and learning of your consumers!

The worst upper management I have ever worked for.

Former Employee - Receiptionist in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Receiptionist in Chico, CA

I worked at Victor Treatment Centers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very nice building and location. Thought this business was for the better of the client... however the management is not for the employees.

Cons

Doing your job description perfectly and doing A/R and banking which I was not in Accounting. And then told I did not do enought

Find a better Director for the Administrative Support.

100% wonderful

Current Employee - Agriculture/Horticulture Instructor in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Agriculture/Horticulture Instructor in Redding, CA

I have been working at Victor Treatment Centers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company and employees care about the staff and students. They know happy staff make happy kids. They do what they can to have activities for staff to do with kids. They check in with staff to make sure they are ok. Good benifits and job satisfaction.

Cons

Pay is low for the work and danger involved.

I think raises should be based of performance.

I have been employeed in numerous positions at Victor over the past 26 years,

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

I have been working at Victor Treatment Centers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have loved the opportunities for job advancements throughout the years. I immensely enjoy working with our wonderful yet challenging youth. I have appreciated the generous benefits the company has had to offer me.

Cons

I am extremely disappointed in the new direction that management has changed since the passing of David. Favor. I have observed a strong sense of disloyalty, disrespect, and overall unfairness to numerous employees,

Practice what you preach, and remember the mission that Dave Favor wanted.

I fell in love with the Victor Family.

Former Employee - Peer Counselor in Perris, CA
    Former Employee - Peer Counselor in Perris, CA

I worked at Victor Treatment Centers part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They need stable Peer Support Specialist to lead and guide young peers that have mental health labels.

Cons

Peer Counselor position needs to be filled by a strong leader figure.

Please be kind to the peers. We are very sensitive people.

Used to be a lot better

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Victor Treatment Centers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can make a difference in youths lives, you learn to fully trust and rely on your co-workers, great training and experience for future similar jobs.

Cons

If you don't fit into the cliques you are treated as an outsider, violent work environment due to the kinds of youth you are working with, supervisors are two faced, no more deaf program.

It doesn't matter if you like the person as a person who is working for you, if they do a good job thats is what counts. And everyone deserves respect!

The company's morals and ethics are not as solid as the agency claims, this agency is fueled by money and greed.

Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Redding, CA

I have been working at Victor Treatment Centers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with severely emotionally disturbed children gives you a chance to make a difference in the lives of these kids. If money is not your decisive factor in choosing your career, but helping people or children is; then a job that is challenging yet rewarding like this one can be beneficial and a good fit for you. If you can keep your morals and values strong, even when challenged, you will find that this can be a positive learning experience that is spiritually enriching.

Cons

Very high turnover rate, for a reason. The hours are long and grueling. The pay is not satisfactory for the services and flexibility you are expected to deliver. Administration and management are quite dishonest, and will lie and cheat in order to come out on top. The values of the agency are not held up as they are defined. It is a frustrating experience when you realize that the agency you work for is not really doing their job or part in order to help these kids; money seems to be the all powerful motivator (as it is in most aspects of the world today). The majority of people in this job for the long run are jaded and no longer in it for the right reasons. I have seen rules broken, laws broken, kids mistreated, employees not supported, and worse.

Start living up to your mission statement. "Our mission is to be a catalyst for sustained improvement in the lives of those we touch."
    Start supporting your employees. Pay employees fairly, this job is emotionally and physically demanding and dangerous, we should be paid more for the services we are providing.
    Stop being dishonest to suit your needs. Honesty is a virtue. How can employees feel that they are striving toward excellence and working toward the greater good for the children we serve if you are not leading by example?

Honesty and Integrity

Former Employee - Safety Officer/RC2 in Redding, CA
    Former Employee - Safety Officer/RC2 in Redding, CA

I worked at Victor Treatment Centers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The teams within the residential houses really care about the youth and each other. They do offer medical, retirement, and paid time off.

Cons

Administrative employees are dishonest and do not follow their own mission statements. No raise or bonus for the last 4 years of my employement. Pay is to low for the dangers that go with the job. No support when things get dangerous. Challenge the company about their wrong doings and your job can be at risk.

Start being honest with your employees, pay them a fair wage for the job they do. Fire the dishonest people sitting in the administrative chairs and teach you HR's to protect the employees from the wrong doings of the agency because that is part of their job.