Victoria University

Victoria University Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Loved my job! Only left it because we moved too far away plus had babies.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLoved the people I worked with, the opportunities I had, the security of the job.

ConsDistance from home - live other side of Melbourne!

Administration Officer

Administration Officer (Current Employee) Footscray (Australia)

ProsThe salaries and Super is great here and the maternity leave policy is great, I have made lifetime friends working here

Consover the past few years there has been a lot of job cuts due to Government funding cuts and the staff are no longer energetic and is a big negative vibe around the university which I think will take a long time to go away.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to consult more with Administration and teachers and the bottom end of the tree and find out the pressures and restraints everyone has and work to make it easier and a more helpful environment and have more staff social events that will help staff who feel left out to have more interaction with others within the uni.

Students for Staff Program Alumni

Student Support Officer (Former Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsGreat opportunity to work for the University you are a part of
    Learn how the Uni functions behind the scenes

ConsNo means of converting the role into a more permanent one
    Micro Managing Boss

Advice to Senior ManagementThere seems to be a lot of focus on building infrastructure. As important as that is, personnel also needs a lot of investment.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worse university to study and work for ever. Real ripper!!!!!!!!!!!

International Student Service Officer (Former Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsThe salary is attractive and moderate, I have to admit. The city location is convenient as well.

ConsPoisonous work environment, horrible and moody boss, mean colleagues, pressure from unconventional workload, lack of communication and team meeting, intrusion to personal spaces, budget cuts, ripping off clients, no customer consideration whatsoever, ...!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementNot everything is money!!!! When you are part of a service-based business, you need to respect your clients and make them feel valued, not just thinking that they are dumb and cash cows and can be ripped off. Also, you can't just cut services and overload those remained with the workload of two to three staff and think that it is OK for them just because they survive on this income!!!!!!!!!!!

No way Jose

Project Coordinator (Former Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsCertainly none that occur to me

ConsDon't start me - poor standards on every level

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some

Don't go anywhere near Victoria University!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsAdmittedly, the surroundings are pleasant.

ConsSome of the poorest management accountability I've seen in my whole career - virtually asleep at the wheel.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview your HR people and their practices and make some changes. I'd be ashamed to call myself a people manager if their standards/competencies and values are the norm. Didn't seem to have basic knowledge of HR management and certainly little empathy.

Disappointing experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsColleagues
    Contribution to society through the education sector

ConsPolitics, red tape
    Constant change and restructure
    Incompetence of management
    Human Resources an administration function, little strategic focus or capability
    Lack of direction and poor strategy
    Wastage of public monies on projects which never progress or achieve their outcomes

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're getting further and further behind your competitors, please for your own sake get serious about implementing contemporary practice. Adopt a strategy that is for you and simplify policy, procedure and practice.

Worked for Victoria University? Contribute to the Community!