Victoria's Secret Stores

3.3
1,532 Reviews

Victoria's Secret Stores CEO Sharen Turney
Sharen Turney

Pros
  • Great discount and deals given to employees on different products every other month (in 102 reviews)

• 30% employee discount with some free bras throughout the year (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Some positions pose a greater difficulty in maintaining a work-life balance (in 75 reviews)

• The part-time work & call-in shifts are for the birds (if this is your only job) (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging, consistently changing work environment

Former Employee - Product Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of room for growth and development for those who seek it. Management is often open to questions, concerns or suggestions. Monthly gratis for associates and management to gain knowledge about new product.

Cons

No work-life balance once you become part of the management team. You will find yourself working during your off days to complete tasks that will better your team and store. Lots of constructive criticism.

Remain respectful to all associates and do everything you can to keep your key players.

Sales Associate

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores

Pros

Positive Energy and Environment, Lots of gifted Bras and perfumes

Cons

Very low pay for work expected

Fantastic workplace!

Current Employee - Cashier in Bourbonnais, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Bourbonnais, IL

I have been working at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

In my store, we are given feasible training and wonderful help. The managers encourage you to move your way up within the district and company. Each month employees and managers are given a gratis that is very generous from the company. Think about how many VS employees there are and how many free bra/panties, $15 fragrances, $15 merchandise, etc. they give away and you'll know its generous. We get a decent discount of 30%mand it gets accelerated 10% around holiday. The managers are sweet and understanding. The hours are plentiful in my store and they are extremely flexible.

Cons

Part-Time does not receive any benefits, but rarely do you EVER see that in companies for PT associates.

Continue to hire within! The employees that love their jobs will love moving up! I never realized how much I could be passionate about a company and job until I was hired here!

Great Company!

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, pay and continued education. This company is one of the best companies to work for! Great management program to prepare associates for promotion.

Cons

Not all Store management follows policies and procedures. The company needs to focus more on internal recruitment and hire from within for promotions. Basic knowledge of the day to day operations and product knowledge are key to running this business. A few weeks of training does not make someone a good manager.

Stable work environment, competitive pay, very corporate

Current Employee - Copywriter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Copywriter in New York, NY

I have been working at Victoria's Secret Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a friendly, positive environment that's constantly changing with a lot of opportunity for new experiences. Since it's so corporate, you can typically count on there not being a lot of unchecked egos, lay-offs or firings. If you're looking for job security, great work-life balance and steady pay, this is the place.

Cons

There's a lot of opportunity for new experiences, but not a lot of opportunity to actually get recognized for those experiences, financially or otherwise. It's very hard to move up--and watch out: they suck you in to a position with a lower title than you deserve with higher pay, making it harder for you to leave. It's also very political. You'll also hear the phrase "but this is the way we've always done things" a lot, which can be hard if you are working in a creative field and are being expected to "push the envelope." Leadership tends to be very reactionary, and does not always have a clear idea of what they want, causing "the peons" to jump through hoops to prove themselves.

Considering rewarding employees for good work, and maybe you'll reduce turnover.

Amazing place to work in overall.

Current Employee - Stock Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Stock Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was refereed by a friend and never looked back. (In my location) The atmosphere is great, workflow is awesome always lots to do, the peers and higher ups are very attentive and helpful. They have nice discounts and gratis during new launches which is great, people get promoted all the time which is amazing, plenty of hours available, the company is very customer oriented and they have some amazing customers.

Cons

Training is short but you'll learn everything mostly hands on, time off policies they "blackout days" where no one can request certain days off which I find is inconsiderate, they move things in the store just about every other day.

Keep up the great work!~

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- In depth training, we watched nearly two hours worth of video, we became acclimated with every inch of the store (except back stock), and we were giving training manuals and taught how to measure busts and sell to a customer, all in one day. At the end of it, I felt able to go out and perform better than I had at any previous job.
    - Amazing managers, always willing to answer questions, teach you innovative sales techniques, and they really listen. Usually three or four employees arrive to begin the same shift, and a manager or shift lead meets with the employees to let them know the sales goals and where they will be stationed for their shift. My manager was about to put me in swim for the hundredth time, but I asked if I could be in Always Sexy, and not only did I get my wish, but she commended me for asking. The managers want you to be challenged and to become comfortable with every inch of the sales floor.
    - Great customers, for the most part. It's fun to shop for lingerie, and most people who come in love to feel taken care of with customized sales techniques we were taught in training and throughout employment. It was so easy to get through the day when you really felt accomplished and happy with helping customers.
    - Coworkers were always ready to answer questions and delegated tasks they thought you could handle, which resulted in a fun, albeit sometimes stressful, challenge. For example, when running go-backs from the fitting room, a more experienced employee handed me her keys and asked me to keep an eye on the fitting room for her fifteen minute break. I had no training in the fitting room, but after several shifts watching her, she knew I could handle it, and I did. My managers and shift lead commended me for my efforts.
    - Excellent communication, we were always told when we were reaching our sales goals and when to really rev up. We were always encouraged and it was always a fun challenge to go all out in those times.
    - Wardrobing. We were encouraged to convince customers to try on what they came in for, along with several other items. Upon leaving the fitting room, we could very easily bring them over to the fragrance and lotion area, to complete their wardrobe. Customers more often than not wanted to hear which fragrance matched their nightie or pajama set or something like that.
    - Bra fitting was almost always very fun, because almost every woman wore the wrong size and loved seeing how great she looked in her true size. One of the best parts of the job was making our customers feel truly happy, sexy, and fulfilled.
    - A few gratis items per month. Free bras, panties, fragrance...
    - %30 off discount.

Cons

- The fact that they do call in shifts. Only happened to me twice, but very annoying.
    - Some coworkers were catty and lots of the shift leads or bra specialists played favorites with the sales associates, allowing some of them to take on more prestigious tasks (helping in the fitting room or selling in the Very Sexy front room), or delegating the least attractive tasks (running go backs, fetching sizes/colors for the fitting room, making back stock checks). I knew what kind of day I would have based on who the shift lead was. The managers seemed above it all and were very equal and kind to everyone.
    - A few customers could be very difficult, but I'm assuming it's because they haven't ever worked in retail...
    - $9/hr didn't seem like enough for the work load we had to deal with.
    - People often took credit for other people's sales.
    - They keep a few seasonal associates to stay on as part time associates, but this is typically based on favoritism, as the shift leads report to the managers based on who they like the best. So even if you've sold the most, if you're not a favorite, you might not be asked back.
    - Very late hours thanks to disorganization. The store closed at 9pm, we were scheduled to get off at 11pm, but there were several times we had to stay until around 1:30am because the store was in such disarray. A lot of people didn't seem to mind and moved at a glacial pace, which kept the rest of us there longer.

Think about developing a more foolproof way to see who is really selling the most, and promote them instead of the favorites who don't do as much.

Great place for a part time job.

Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Arcadia, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Arcadia, CA

I have been working at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

At my store, the full time employees are very devoted and enthusiastic about their job. As a company, Victoria Secret takes care of their employees with discounts, benefits, and sample bras, so that we can better understand the product. It really depends on who your management is, but for a part time job. It's pretty good.

Cons

Some managers are not as accommodating so it really depends. It really is bad for full time employees sometimes like bra specialists if the manager doesn't favorite you.

Amazing

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

young environment, free stuff to give testimony, work life balance

Cons

retail, long hours, girl cattiness and holiday overtime

none

Best company in the retail field!

Current Employee - Category Supervisor
    Current Employee - Category Supervisor

I have been working at Victoria's Secret Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great discount & gratis offerings. Pay is typically minimum wage; the company essentially pays in product! If you want to work retail, start here. You can move up the ladder if you work hard and prove yourself to management. Industry standards are set high. Health benefits, etc are pretty great!

Cons

Pay typically starts off at minimum. If you get promoted, be upfront about what you want to get paid, otherwise, they'll stick you with the bare minimum. Some DMs can play favorites with some SMs.

Encourage your associates through positive reinforcement!

Victoria's Secret Stores Photos